Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Today In History

mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Re: Today In History

Post by mojosapien »

The Dominican Republic of Elvis started a militia ca 1999
eek...it's like sayng Hsppy Cinco-deMayo to a Mexican.
Keep it silly, kids.
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

On this date in 1979, "Monty Python's Life of Brian" was released in the US.

The film was originally financed by EMI, which backed out because it considered the script blasphemous. The Pythons sued EMI and settled out of court. George Harrison, a huge Monty Python fan, thought it was the last chance to have another Python movie. He created Handmade Films, and "pawned" (his words) his home in London and his office building to raise the £4 million needed. When asked why he said, "Because I want to go see it." Eric Idle joked that it was the highest price ever paid for a cinema ticket.
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

500 years ago - June 7, 1522 - Swedish Navy founded
Founded under King Gustav I in 1522, the Swedish navy is one of the oldest continuously serving navies in the world, celebrating its 500th anniversary in 2022.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Navy
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

125 years ago - August 29 to August 31, 1897 - First Zionist Congress
The First Zionist Congress (Hebrew: הקונגרס הציוני הראשון) was the inaugural congress of the Zionist Organization (ZO) held in Basel (Basle), from August 29 to August 31, 1897. 208 delegates and 26 press correspondents attended the event.[1] It was convened[2] and chaired[3] by Theodor Herzl, the founder of the modern Zionism movement. The Congress formulated a Zionist platform, known as the Basel program, and founded the Zionist Organization. It also adopted the Hatikvah as its anthem (already the anthem of Hovevei Zion and later to become the national anthem of the State of Israel).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Zionist_Congress
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

25 years ago - August 31, 1997 - Ladi "Di" Diane dies in car accident

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana,_Princess_of_Wales
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.history.com/topics/civil-ri ... eam-speech

CONTENTS
Civil Rights Movement Before the Speech
March on Washington
‘I Have a Dream’ Speech Origins
‘Free At Last’
Mahalia Jackson Prompts MLK: 'Tell 'em About the Dream, Martin'
‘I Have a Dream’ Speech Text
MLK Speech Reception
'I Have a Dream' Speech Legacy

The “I Have a Dream” speech, delivered by Martin Luther King, Jr. before a crowd of some 250,000 people at the 1963 March on Washington, remains one of the most famous speeches in history. Weaving in references to the country’s Founding Fathers and the Bible, King used universal themes to depict the struggles of African Americans before closing with an improvised riff on his dreams of equality. The eloquent speech was immediately recognized as a highlight of the successful protest, and has endured as one of the signature moments of the civil rights movement.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.bing.com
Virginia's Richmond Recorder newspaper prints a scandalous story regarding President Thomas Jefferson and an enslaved woman whom he 'kept, as his concubine.' Jefferson's relationship with Sally Hemings will be investigated centuries later via DNA testing.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_T._Callender
With his career and his social ambitions thwarted, Callender returned to newspaper work, as editor of a Federalist newspaper, the Richmond Recorder. In a series of articles attacking corruption on all sides, Callender targeted Jefferson, revealing that Jefferson had funded his pamphleteering. After denials were issued, he published Jefferson's letters to him to prove the relationship. Later, angered by the criticism from Jefferson supporters, who asserted that Callender had abandoned his wife to die of a venereal disease,[17] Callender reported in a series of articles that Jefferson fathered children by his slave Sally Hemings.[18][19] The first of those articles, printed on September 1, 1802, contained this excerpt:

It is well known that the man, Whom it delighteth the people to honor, keeps and for many years has kept, as his concubine, one of his slaves. Her name is Sally. The name of her eldest son is Tom. His features are said to bear a striking though sable resemblance to those of the President himself. The boy is ten or twelve years of age.[20]

Callender's reporting on the Jefferson-Hemings relationship used racist rhetoric of the time. Although he had expressed anti-slavery views when he first arrived in the United States, he eventually adopted a position on slavery and race similar to that of Jefferson's in Notes on the State of Virginia.[21] After the Hemings controversy ran its course, Callender turned to publicizing Jefferson's earlier attempt to seduce a married neighbor decades before.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

On this date in 1939 Germany invaded Poland.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Will Poland make a similar demand of Russia? :think:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://baseballhall.org/discover/insid ... mes-record

CAL RIPKEN BREAKS LOU GEHRIG’S RECORD

The moment Manny Alexander caught Damion Easley’s pop-fly to end the top of the inning, Camden Yards erupted into applause. The “0” in “2,130” hanging on the B&O Warehouse aptly dropped to show “2,131,” as the night air became flooded with black and orange balloons.

“It just kept going and going,” Ripken said in an interview with MLB Network. “Rafael Palmeiro and Bobby Bonilla said we’re not getting this thing going again until you take a lap. They physically grabbed me, threw me out there. And during the first part of that lap, I said ‘OK, I’ll just do it really quick.’ After one handshake, two handshakes, two looks in the face, all of a sudden it became a whole lot more intimate of a celebration.”
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Wu-Tang Is For The Children @WUTangKids wrote: Cheech & Chong’s “Up in Smoke” hit theaters 44 years ago today

Cc: @tommychong @CheechMarin
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

The Sting @TSting18 wrote: Miami Vice was first broadcast OTD in 1984.
To celebrate I've managed to fit 60 Miami Vice guest stars into 2 minutes. Enjoy
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer

Fun!!!!!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Not today but couldn’t find a better place. Old but new to me.

Tiredretiredlawyer

That says it all. :clap:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

500 years ago - 6 September 1522 - First circumnavigation of the globe completed
The fleet left Spain on 20 September 1519, sailing west across the Atlantic toward South America.

Ferdinand Magellan ( 4 February 1480 – 27 April 1521) was a Portuguese explorer and a subject of the Hispanic Monarchy from 1518. He is best known for having planned and led the 1519 Spanish expedition to the East Indies across the Pacific Ocean to open a maritime trade route, during which he discovered the interoceanic passage bearing thereafter his name and achieved the first European navigation from the Atlantic to Asia.

ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Magellan
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Elizabeth Alexandra Mary, Elizabeth II, Queen by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of her other realms and territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, was laid to rest at Windsor Castle on this day in 2022
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer

She was a remarkable woman.
raison de arizona

Rex Chapman🏇🏼 @RexChapman wrote: 60-years ago today 'The Beverly Hillbillies' premiered on CBS (1962) …
Tiredretiredlawyer

Happy Birthday, Don Cornelius!!!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Cornelius
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4520913/

Page 3
'MOULD JUICE’

In 1928, Alexander] Fleming began a series of experiments involving the common staphylococcal bacteria. An uncovered Petri dish sitting next to an open window became contaminated with mould spores. Fleming observed that the bacteria in proximity to the mould colonies were dying, as evidenced by the dissolving and clearing of the surrounding agar gel. He was able to isolate the mould and identified it as a member of the Penicillium genus. He found it to be effective against all Gram-positive pathogens, which are responsible for diseases such as scarlet fever, pneumonia, gonorrhoea, meningitis and diphtheria. He discerned that it was not the mould itself but some ‘juice’ it had produced that had killed the bacteria. He named the ‘mould juice’ penicillin. Later, he would say: “When I woke up just after dawn on September 28, 1928, I certainly didn’t plan to revolutionize all medicine by discovering the world’s first antibiotic, or bacteria killer. But I suppose that was exactly what I did.”

Although Fleming published the discovery of penicillin in the British Journal of Experimental Pathology in 1929, the scientific community greeted his work with little initial enthusiasm. Additionally, Fleming found it difficult to isolate this precious ‘mould juice’ in large quantities. It was not until 1940, just as he was contemplating retirement, that two scientists, Howard Florey and Ernst Chain, became interested in penicillin. In time, they were able to mass-produce it for use during World War II.

Fleming received many awards for his achievements. In 1928, he became Professor of Bacteriology at St Mary’s. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1943 and elevated to the level of Emeritus Professor of Bacteriology at the University of London in 1948. A recipient of some thirty honorary degrees, in 1945, he won the most prestigious award, the Nobel Prize in Physiology/Medicine. He was made a Knight Bachelor by King George VI in 1944 and a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Alfonso X the Wise in 1948. Time Magazine named Fleming one of the 100 most important people of the 20th century.
June bug

Post by June bug »

Cool! Thanks, TRL!!
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

200 years ago - 1822 - Champollion published his first breakthrough in the decipherment of the Rosetta hieroglyphs
In 1820, Champollion embarked in earnest on the project of decipherment of hieroglyphic script, soon overshadowing the achievements of British polymath Thomas Young who had made the first advances in decipherment before 1819. In 1822, Champollion published his first breakthrough in the decipherment of the Rosetta hieroglyphs, showing that the Egyptian writing system was a combination of phonetic and ideographic signs – the first such script discovered. In 1824, he published a Précis in which he detailed a decipherment of the hieroglyphic script demonstrating the values of its phonetic and ideographic signs. In 1829, he traveled to Egypt where he was able to read many hieroglyphic texts that had never before been studied, and brought home a large body of new drawings of hieroglyphic inscriptions. Home again he was given a professorship in Egyptology, but only lectured a few times before his health, ruined by the hardships of the Egyptian journey, forced him to give up teaching. He died in Paris in 1832, 41 years old. His grammar of Ancient Egyptian was published posthumously.

in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Fran ... hampollion
on the Rosetta Stone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_Stone
raison de arizona

The Sting @TSting18 wrote: Cheers is 40 years old today.
This show was huge. Cheers eventually closed after 11 seasons and 275 episodes with a 3-part, feature-length extravaganza viewed by 80.4 million people.
To celebrate here are 9 seasons worth of Norm ordering a beer. Cheers

Return to “General Stuff”