Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Today In History

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Today In History

Post by RTH10260 »

The transition to the € at the beginning of the year was driven by the impact the change had on accounting in commerce. All national currencies had to be revalued individually. While the UK transition was essentially on the coin level, the EU transition included also the paper bank notes in circulation. Similar to the UK the public had to relearn what value the new currency had when purchasing commodities. While in the UK it was an adjustment on the rounding from old coins to the decimal, in the EU the transition was from local currencies to a common "foreign" currency with associated exchange rates. I remember that at the time the general fear was that businesses would try to include obfuscated price hikes. One of the major issues with the transition to the Euro was that stashes of paper money were used as savings. European bank notes had value all over the globe as savings over volatile local currencies, at the time especially in the post-Yougoslavian Balcan countries (a major source of workers who kept their savings in paper form, not on bank accounts).
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

On this day a mere three years ago, the Clemson Tigers descended upon the White House to a culinary masterpiece that hasn't been duplicated since (to my knowledge.)
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

That was an embarrassment. The junk food White House. Junk White House for short.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Ahhh - the Cold Buffet ;)
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

80 years ago - Jan. 20, 1942 - "Wannensee Konferenz" Planning the Holocaust

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/20/worl ... caust.html
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

50 years ago - January 30 1972 - N.Ireland Blood Sunday
In Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 13 unarmed civil rights demonstrators are shot dead by British Army paratroopers in an event that becomes known as “Bloody Sunday.” The protesters, all Northern Catholics, were marching in protest of the British policy of internment of suspected Irish nationalists. British authorities had ordered the march banned, and sent troops to confront the demonstrators when it went ahead. The soldiers fired indiscriminately into the crowd of protesters, killing 13 and wounding 17.

The killings brought worldwide attention to the crisis in Northern Ireland and sparked protests all across Ireland. In Dublin, the capital of independent Ireland, outraged Irish citizens lit the British embassy aflame on February 2.

from https://www.history.com/this-day-in-his ... rn-ireland
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

41 years ago today, my firstborn was birthed! What a joyous event! :lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:42 am 41 years ago today, my firstborn was birthed! What a joyous event! :lovestruck:
:bighug: :bounce:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer

I am old enough to remember seeing this on at least one of the three available TV channels.

https://www.history.com/topics/black-hi ... oro-sit-in
Greensboro Sit-In

The Greensboro sit-in was a civil rights protest that started in 1960, when young African American students staged a sit-in at a segregated Woolworth’s lunch counter in Greensboro, North Carolina, and refused to leave after being denied service. The sit-in movement soon spread to college towns throughout the South. Though many of the protesters were arrested for trespassing, disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace, their actions made an immediate and lasting impact, forcing Woolworth’s and other establishments to change their segregationist policies.

The Greensboro Four were four young Black men who staged the first sit-in at Greensboro: Ezell Blair Jr., David Richmond, Franklin McCain and Joseph McNeil. All four were students from North Carolina Agricultural and Technical College.

They were influenced by the nonviolent protest techniques practiced by Mohandas Gandhi, as well as the Freedom Rides organized by the Congress for Racial Equality (CORE) in 1947, in which interracial activists rode across the South in buses to test a recent Supreme Court decision banning segregation in interstate bus travel.

The Greensboro Four, as they became known, had also been spurred to action by the brutal murder in 1955 of a young Black boy, Emmett Till, who had allegedly whistled at a white woman in a Mississippi store.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

10 years ago - March 11, 2011 - Sea earthquake and the great Japanese tsunami

a poster released a former never seen video by a then 15 year old filmer:

Reminder of the power of the tsunami, visibly starting at the 1'45* marker

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

20 years ago - February 2002 - Prison complex Guantanamo Bay constructed
Camp Delta is a permanent American detainment camp at Guantanamo Bay that replaced the temporary facilities of Camp X-Ray. Its first facilities were built between 27 February and mid-April 2002 by Navy Seabees, Marine Engineers, and workers from Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg, Brown and Root.[citation needed] It is composed of detention camps 1 through 6, Camp Platinum, Camp Iguana, the Guantanamo psychiatric ward, Camp Echo and Camp No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Delt ... anamo_Bay)
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-his ... ts-created
February 05
United Artists created

On February 5, 1919, Hollywood heavyweights Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks and D.W. Griffith joined forces to create their own film studio, which they called the United Artists Corporation.

United Artists quickly gained prestige in Hollywood, thanks to the success of the films of its stars, notably Chaplin’s The Gold Rush (1925), as well as the work of actors such as Buster Keaton, Rudolph Valentino and Gloria Swanson. Chaplin directed UA films as well as acted in them, and Pickford concentrated on producing after she retired from acting in the 1930s. With the rise of sound during that decade, UA was helped by the talents (and bankrolls) of veteran producers like Joseph Schenck, Samuel Goldwyn, Howard Hughes and Alexander Korda. The corporation began to struggle financially in the 1940s, however, and in 1951 the production studio was sold and UA became only a financing and distributing facility.

By the mid-1950s, all of the original partners had sold their shares of the company, but UA had begun to thrive again, releasing such films as The African Queen (1951), High Noon (1952), Witness for the Prosecution (1957), Some Like It Hot (1959), The Apartment and The Magnificent Seven (both 1960) and West Side Story (1961). In addition, the company was responsible for the James Bond and Pink Panther film franchises. UA went public in 1957 and became a subsidiary of the TransAmerica Corporation a decade later.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Today in History

Post by Foggy »

Some dude in a stovepipe hat showed up. :whistle:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

http://ceadserv1.nku.edu/longa/family/t ... Hanks.html
Nancy Hanks
by RoseMary Benet

If Nancy Hanks
Came back as a ghost,
Seeking news
Of what she loved most,
She'd ask first,
"Where's my son?
What's happened to Abe?
What's he done?

"Poor little Abe
Left alone
Except for Tom,
Who's a rolling stone;
He was only nine
The year I died.
I remember still
How hard he cried.

"Scraping along
In a little shack,
With hardly a shirt
To cover his back,
And a prairie wind
To blow him down,
Or pinching times
If he went to town.

"You wouldn't know
About my son?
Did he grow tall?
Did he have fun?
Did he learn to read?
Did he get to town?
Do you know his name?
Did he get on?"
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, he turned out okay, I reckon. :whistle:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.bing.com/search?q=saint%20v ... +Valentine

Saint Valentine martyred
The Catholic Church tells of a Bishop Valentine who, in part because he married couples without Imperial Rome's consent, is imprisoned, tortured, and beheaded on this day. He will eventually become the patron saint of love.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://teachingamericanhistory.org/doc ... -mystique/
The Feminine Mystique
by Betty Friedan

Source: Betty Friedan, The Feminine Mystique (New York: W. W. Norton, 1963), pp. 15 and 18.
The problem lay buried, unspoken, for many years in the minds of American women. It was a strange stirring, a sense of dissatisfaction, a yearning that women suffered in the middle of the twentieth century in the United States. Each suburban wife struggled with it alone. As she made the beds, shopped for groceries, matched slipcover material, ate peanut butter sandwiches with her children, chauffeured Cub Scouts and Brownies, lay beside her husband at night—she was afraid to ask even of herself the silent question—”Is this all?”

For over fifteen years there was no word of this yearning in the millions of words written about women, for women, in all the columns, books, and articles by experts telling women their role was to seek fulfillment as wives and mothers. Over and over women heard in voices of tradition and of Freudian sophistication that they could desire no greater destiny than to glory in their own femininity. Experts told them how to catch a man and keep him, how to breastfeed children and handle their toilet training, how to cope with sibling rivalry and adolescent rebellion; how to buy a dishwasher, bake bread, cook gourmet snails, and build a swimming pool with their own hands; how to dress, look, and act more feminine and make marriage more exciting; how to keep their husbands from dying young and their sons from growing into delinquents. . . .

In the fifteen years after World War II, this mystique of feminine fulfillment became the cherished and self-perpetuating core of contemporary American culture. Millions of women lived their lives in the image of those pretty pictures of the American suburban housewife, kissing their husbands goodbye in front of the picture window, depositing their stationwagonsful of children at school, and smiling as they ran the new electric waxer over the spotless kitchen floor. They baked their own bread, sewed their own and their children’s clothes, kept their new washing machines and dryers running all day. They changed the sheets on the beds twice a week instead of once, took the rug-hooking class in adult education, and pitied their poor frustrated mothers, who had dreamed of having a career. Their only dream was to be perfect wives and mothers; their highest ambition to have five children and a beautiful house, their only fight to get and keep their husbands. They had no thought for the unfeminine problems of the world outside the home; they wanted the men to make the major decisions. They gloried in their role as women, and wrote proudly on the census blank: “Occupation: housewife.”
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Vice President Kamala Harris
@VP
·
1h

United States government official
80 years ago, our nation sent 120,000 Americans of Japanese descent to live in incarceration camps, depriving them of their most basic civil rights. A betrayal of our Constitution and of our nation’s deepest held values. It is an act that we cannot forget.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

10 years ago - February 2012 - The Raspberry Pi is born

more at the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:25 pm Not technically today, but info for Women's History Month.

https://www.history.com/topics/womens-h ... tte-rankin
Jeannette Rankin

Jeannette Rankin was a Montana politician who made history in 1916 as the first woman ever elected to the United States Congress. She was also the only member of Congress to cast a vote against participation in both world wars. Unafraid to take controversial positions on several inflammatory issues, Rankin was a leader in the women’s suffrage movement and a lifelong pacifist.

After graduating from Montana State University (now the University of Montana) in 1902, Rankin spent brief stints as a social worker in San Francisco and New York. She then moved to Washington State, where she joined the women’s suffrage movement, a fight that culminated in 1910 when Washington became the fifth state in the Union to grant women the right to vote.

Rankin went on to work as a professional lobbyist for the National American Woman Suffrage Association, traveling back and forth across the country to speak and lobby for women’s right to vote. Her grassroots organizing efforts in her home state helped win the women of Montana voting rights in 1914.

Congressional Election of 1916

Two years later, Rankin campaigned for one of Montana’s two open U.S. House of Representatives seats. She ran as a progressive Republican with financial backing from her politically influential brother Wellington.

Jeannette Rankin campaigned on social welfare issues, U.S. neutrality in World War I and the right to vote for women in every state. She made history on November 7, 1916, when she won her election by a margin of 7,500 votes to become the first female member of Congress.
She was the sole vote in Congress against enter WWII, she's also one of Montana's statues in Congress...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer

My Fogbow grandson passed the pop quiz!!!!!!! I am so proud! :biggrin:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:48 am My Fogbow grandson passed the pop quiz!!!!!!! I am so proud! :biggrin:
:biggrin: :dance:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://www.facebook.com/DailyDoseofHistory/

A Daily Dose of History

Victory in the Revolutionary War was no guarantee, of course, that Americans would thereafter enjoy the fruits of liberty and democracy. One of the earliest and most dangerous challenges to the new American republic came in March 1783.

The official end of the war was on the horizon (the Treaty of Paris was signed in September) and it seemed clear that in the near future the American army would be disbanded. Or would it?

After years of unkept promises of payment, there was widespread anger and unrest among the men and officers. Congress had never been able to pay the soldiers on time and over two years after passing a bill granting veterans half-pay pensions, none had been paid. The angry rumor circulating through the camps was that Congress did not intend to ever meet its obligations to the soldiers.
The root of the problem was that under the Articles of Confederation Congress had no authority to impose taxes. The only way the federal government could get revenue was to request it from the states, which had always been reluctant and delinquent payors. With the immediate threat from the British removed, the states were even more hesitant to send money to Congress. And so the soldiers weren’t being paid, and they weren’t happy about it.

In the army’s camp at Newburgh, New York, an inflammatory letter written by an aide-de-camp of General Horatio Gates was circulating among the officers. The letter called for the army to deliver a forceful ultimatum to Congress. If the war continued, the letter advised, the army should move into the interior of the country and “leave an ungrateful nation to defend itself.” Or, it continued, “If peace takes place, never sheath your swords until you have obtained full and ample justice.” The implication of the latter proposal was clear. The letter suggested that if Congress did not accede to the demands of the army, then the military should take power. On March 15, the officers in camp gathered in a meeting to discuss the letter and their options.

Gates, a long-time rival of Washington, called the meeting to order and was about to proceed, when, to the surprise of all present, General Washington entered the room and announced that he wished to speak. Gates stepped aside (probably reluctantly) and Washington turned and faced the assembled officers.

Washington began by reminding the officers, “I was among the first who embarked in the cause of our common country...I have never left your side one moment... I have been the constant companion and witness of your distresses.” Staring out at the men in the now-silent room, Washington continued, “This dreadful alternative of either deserting our country in the extremest hour of her distress, or turning our arms against it, which is the apparent object, unless Congress can be compelled into instant compliance, has something so shocking in it, that humanity revolts at the idea. My God! What can this writer have in view, by recommending such measures? Can he be a friend to the army? Can he be a friend to this country? Rather is he not an insidious foe?” Washington urged the men, the officers who had served the country faithfully for many arduous years, to show patience and patriotism and to put their “full confidence in the purity of the intentions of Congress.” “And let me conjure you,” he continued, “in the name of our common country, as you value your own sacred honor, as you respect the rights of humanity, and as you regard the military and national character of America, to express your utmost horror and detestation of the man who wishes, under any specious pretences, to overturn the liberties of our country; and who wickedly attempts to open the flood-gates of civil discord, and deluge our rising empire in blood.”
Washington then reached into his coat pocket and brought out a letter from a Virginia congressman, saying that he would close by reading the letter. But as he tried to read it he faltered, and, to the discomfort of those present, paused. Washington took out his reading glasses, put them on, and said, “Gentleman, you must pardon me, for I have not only grown gray but almost blind in service to my country.”

Seeing their proud and stoical general humbled this way, some of the officers broke into tears. After Washington left the room, they voted their unanimous thanks to the general, adding “the officers reciprocate his affectionate expressions, with the greatest sincerity of which the human heart is capable.” The “Newburgh Conspiracy” had been defused.

George Washington delivered his "Newburgh Address," defusing the “Newburgh Conspiracy,” on March 15, 1783, two hundred thirty-nine years ago today.
Hic sunt dracones
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

March 15, 44 BC
Julius Caesar, dictator of Rome, is stabbed to death in the Roman Senate house by 60 conspirators led by Marcus Junius Brutus and Gaius Cassius Longinus on March 15. The day later became infamous as the Ides of March.
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-his ... s-of-march

Is Shakespeare popular in Russia?

Return to “General Stuff”