Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Fogbow Arts and Crafts

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by AndyinPA »

That's a lovely basket!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Maybenaut, that basket is very nice. Not sure what you mean by "gets better with practice", your first one looks mighty fine to me!
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

That's lovely.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I’ve forgotten how much I love working with leaded glass. Maybelot has a few places calling out for some prairie-style glass doors. When I’m done with these, I’ll be ready to quilt again.
E90FF11B-CF9E-4F06-97F9-6308BD122B05.jpeg
E90FF11B-CF9E-4F06-97F9-6308BD122B05.jpeg (144.03 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
267BDC41-3FC1-45C7-9F59-B0CBFA0C766F.jpeg
267BDC41-3FC1-45C7-9F59-B0CBFA0C766F.jpeg (142.08 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Are they horseshoe nails?
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Uninformed wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:36 pm Are they horseshoe nails?
Sort of. They look like horseshoe nails and they’re called horseshoe nails, but these are made specifically for glass work. I think they’re actually a little smaller and finer than horseshoe nails. But they’re flat on one side to hold the lead in place, and they have a nice big head that you’re not going to miss when you hit it.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Thanks. I remember watching a program about a stained glass maker(?) who was replacing/renewing/repairing the windows in a cathedral (I forget which one) and marvelling at how it was done. I think he used nails that looked more like floorboard brads. Wish I had your skill, but sadly I am the definition of maladroit.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Oh, those doors are going to be purty. :lovestruck: I can’t wait to see everything.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I mostly work with metal, but I dabble in making jewelry with polymer clay as well. Here are a couple of pendants and one has matching earrings. I took the ear wires off for the photo. I use all kinds of materials for the "chain", including recycled fabrics. T-shirt fabrics are really popular for hanging pendants and the burgundy pendant hanger is made from recycled t-shirt fabric. I bought a yard and I cut and stretch it myself. The other pendant is hung by two different colors of recycled fabric that I buy from an Etsy shop. It's sold already cut and wound into a large ball. I bought several colors and am having a grand time thinking of ways to use it.

The nautilus is made from a background color of clays that I mixed myself. I used a nautilus shaped stamp on white clay and several colors of pastel. Pastels stick to raw clay nicely and are permanent after baking. I find the colors don't look as nice in the photo, I really need to learn how to take better photos with my phone.

I have several color palettes that i have developed over time and the more colorful pendant and earrings use one of my custom color palettes. The windy mixed up strips were made by extruding four of the colors from the palette and then turning the log on it's side to slice so the colors run horizontal. And then I just wound those strips all over in a jumble. I made quite a few pendants and earrings out of those and gave them all different colors of bails and different bail embellishments. The crystals are hotfix style crystals made by Swarovski.
IMG_0607.jpg
IMG_0607.jpg (35 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
IMG_0602.jpg
IMG_0602.jpg (64.85 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

This one is a lot of fun. It's long, meant to hang down around almost to the belly. I used green metallic foil and pressed a design into the clay that had the foil on top. Then sliced across the remove the raised part of the design so the foil shows up in the deeper part of the design. The pendant hangs on a piece of faux suede with metal chain around the back.
IMG_0603.jpg
IMG_0603.jpg (31.21 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Here is a metal piece - copper and brass. I downloaded an Om symbol from the internet and copied it into a Word document. Resized it for pendant size and printed it on label paper. I buy label paper where the entire sheet is one large label so I can print any size of picture and then stick the label to whatever metal I want to cut the piece from. In this case I cut the inner shape. To do that you have to drill a small hole in each of the inner shapes that you want to saw. Then you remove one side of your saw blade and string the metal through the blade and re-attach the blade. Then you saw out the shape, undo the blade and restring it for the next shape. I love saw piercing. The first time I used a jeweler's saw I was just as bad as everyone else's first try. But I persevered and now I find that I really enjoy that kind of work. I made this for a friend's son.

I probably should have waited until after I finished polishing it, but you get the idea. I also just realized I got my hand in the way of the lighting so it's kind of dark. Once it's all polished up it will be really nice. I riveted the copper onto a piece of brass to finish it up and give the pendant strength. I am liking how it's looking so far. On to the polishing wheel now! I will try to remember to upload a photo of it after it's polished and then also take a better photo.
Om.jpg
Om.jpg (17.25 KiB) Viewed 2270 times
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Here are two more polymer clay pendants I made recently. They hang on buna cord. The polar bears is a design from an Etsy tutorial and the other is my own design that was inspired by something I saw someone else do, but mine is quite a bit different. Hers had only one "part" it was a different shape but it had a single strand of one color around a rectangular pendant of another color. I jazzed it up a bit and made two parts and textured those parts. I made one that is similar but a little different using black for the main pieces and a light-ish version of navy blue for the surrounding strings. Not sure which one I like best, they were both a pain in the rear to make. It's a whole lot harder than it looks to make a round snaky and put it around the larger pieces and attach the ends in the back where they look like a solid piece. :lol:

I enjoyed making the bears but that one uses quite a few steps and short baking times in between each step. Kind of fun though. I see I also got in the way of this photo too, lots of shadow. Sorry about that. :oopsy:

IMG_0604.jpg
IMG_0604.jpg (31.63 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I love the stained glass. I have several pieces I have bought over the years hanging in two windows. I'm looking at the possibility of getting another one for the bathroom window if I can find the right size or have one made to size.

And, RV, I love your pieces. I've done beaded jewelry, but my eyes aren't really good enough anymore. I should finish the few pieces that are designed, but haven't been strung yet, and then get rid of my stash. (Or I could have the cornea transplants, and maybe I could work again :?: )
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

RV-

I love your work. That red and black piece has me salivating!!! :drool:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Those pieces are gorgeous, RV!
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:48 pm Those pieces are gorgeous, RV!
Thanks. I love your stained glass, can't wait to see them finished. When I was married my ex got into making stained glass and I bought him some of the supplies and tools so he could pursue it more. That is a great hobby and really painstaking work. Please do share your photos when they are finished. Your house is already awesome, it is going to be spectacular!
--Colin Kaepernick
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Making progress. It’s slow going, and this thing on my head hurts like a motherfucker (sorry for the language; if you’re interested in the details, see the health and wellness thread), so I can’t concentrate very long. But this is the pattern, which will repeat four total.

69EF0236-67F3-4435-B124-6EB934C34AC1.jpeg
69EF0236-67F3-4435-B124-6EB934C34AC1.jpeg (185.41 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

That is something to be proud of. :clap:
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:33 pm RV-

I love your work. That red and black piece has me salivating!!! :drool:
I adore the polar bears. :lovestruck:

Maybenaut, is that going to be a cabinet door? Beauty work.

I’m finishing up a quilt for a friend and then I’m going to get back to my sweet sister’s quilt. It’s the Hugs and Kisses pattern from Jordan Fabrics. It’s made entirely out of HSTs* sewn into 16-square blocks in different configurations. I got super dizzy trying to put it together without using a design wall or other aide.
47E296E7-7DA4-4154-9564-539FC4D8397D.jpeg
47E296E7-7DA4-4154-9564-539FC4D8397D.jpeg (41.26 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
I made so many mistakes! I’ve ripped out, resewed, and ripped out again about half the blocks. But I’m back on track now. I think… :?

I hadn’t figured out the back until now. I’m getting a T-shirt, pair of jeans and beanie from my sis, all Ash’s . He loved white Ts. And red beanies. I’m going to use a big piece of orange batik with butterflies, appliqué ( is that the right term?) the clothes on after, as if he’s giving her his signature bear hug. Damn, he was a GREAT hugger. :brokenheart:

Sorry for the terrible pic. :bag: I’m moving my sewing room upstairs and have no lamps left in that room

* Half Square Triangles
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Phoenix wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:13 pm
Maybenaut, is that going to be a cabinet door! Beauty work.

These will be actual double doors leading to our bedroom. There are 15-light glass doors now with sheers. First I wanted solid doors, then thought, no, I can make something really cool.

I’m finishing up a quilt for a friend and then I’m going to get back to my sweet sister’s quilt. It’s the Hugs and Kisses pattern from Jordan Fabrics. It’s made entirely out of HSTs* sewn into 16-square blocks in different configurations. I got super dizzy trying to put it together without using a design wall or other aide.

LOVE the quilt! So, so sorry about Ash. Hope you guys are healing.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Am healing but it’s slow. :bighug: It’s hurts so bad right now.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Phoenix wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:17 pm Am healing but it’s slow. :bighug: It’s hurts so bad right now.
:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Love the Ash Hug quilt!!!!! :brokenheart:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lots of talented people here! :lovestruck:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Phoenix wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:17 pm Am healing but it’s slow. :bighug: It’s hurts so bad right now.
:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “General Stuff”