Fogbow Arts and Crafts

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by AndyinPA »

Things like that can disappear on Facebook, too. I've shared some really cool things that are later gone. Facebook explains when it happens. I go back weeks or months later, and it has just disappeared.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Uninformed wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:55 am Not sure this is the image that has disappeared but the first picture of the “Vestavia” is close.

https://www.blackstoneorgan.org/history
Thanks for posting the link to the page. I reposted the photo from another link but since it from some other page, it may disappear again.
101010 :towel:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:09 am It's gonna be LOUD in there. :notlistening:
While organs can be quite loud, the same instruction can also be very soft and tender. What is wonderful about the instrument is the diversity of sounds and timbre you can play at any given time.
101010 :towel:
WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown »

Hi fogbow quilters

I just got back on this thread and I am glad to see that most of you are still here. You art works have cheered me. I spent much of "the Covid" quilting, that is until I broke my wrist and cannot push hard enough to rotarycut fabric. I was hoping for much faster healing than I am getting. I was making a cute table runner for my friend's birthday and that passed 2 weeks ago without any progress on the runner being made. :crying: Instead of making quilts, I seem to be ruining them. My best quilt was on the bed (everybody said mAke sure to use your quilts) and my cat Peeper managed to vomit a whole stomach full on the pillow covering next to me. How can I get it off without washing the whole quilt. It is a queen sized one and I can imagine it would be very heavy if saturated.
Sugar, how is your daughter.? What is the thing on your head Maybenaught? I missed the follow up. it was a lovely summer in Colorado. A few hot stretches which I liked☀️I hope you all had a good summer.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

WriteItDown wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:30 pm Hi fogbow quilters

I just got back on this thread and I am glad to see that most of you are still here. You art works have cheered me. I spent much of "the Covid" quilting, that is until I broke my wrist and cannot push hard enough to rotarycut fabric. I was hoping for much faster healing than I am getting. I was making a cute table runner for my friend's birthday and that passed 2 weeks ago without any progress on the runner being made. :crying: Instead of making quilts, I seem to be ruining them. My best quilt was on the bed (everybody said mAke sure to use your quilts) and my cat Peeper managed to vomit a whole stomach full on the pillow covering next to me. How can I get it off without washing the whole quilt. It is a queen sized one and I can imagine it would be very heavy if saturated.
Sugar, how is your daughter.? What is the thing on your head Maybenaught? I missed the follow up. it was a lovely summer in Colorado. A few hot stretches which I liked☀️I hope you all had a good summer.
No reason you can't wash it anyway. If you're worried about the weight, just run it through 2 spin cycles to get as much water out as you can. If I have one I think is extra delicate, I run it through the wash cycle and a couple of spin cycles then open the washer lid and leave it overnight before moving it to the dryer. Those tend to be the truly antique quilts though. Anything that's been made in the last several decades should be fine with no special treatment.

I'm not sure which daughter you're asking about, but both are doing great. The one in Brazil came home this summer to get her vax and visit for a bit, and the youngest one (and her partner and their 6 month old) are recovered from their bouts of covid with no apparent after effects.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Sugar, may I pick your brain? I want to incorporate Ash’s favorite T, Camo pants and beanie into the quilt back. I found the perfect fabric for the back, two large monarchs on black background (out of print) by Tonga batiks. The butterflys’ colors match the hugs and kisses blocks on the front pretty closely.

Turns out she’s rather not have me cut the clothes up, so…what, I appliqué a complete outfit onto the back?

Guidance would be appreciated. :oldlady: :kiss:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:05 am Sugar, may I pick your brain? I want to incorporate Ash’s favorite T, Camo pants and beanie into the quilt back. I found the perfect fabric for the back, two large monarchs on black background (out of print) by Tonga batiks. The butterflys’ colors match the hugs and kisses blocks on the front pretty closely.

Turns out she’s rather not have me cut the clothes up, so…what, I appliqué a complete outfit onto the back?

Guidance would be appreciated. :oldlady: :kiss:
The t-shirt and the beanie probably won't be an issue just appliqued flat, but if it's ever to actually be used as a quilt the camo pants won't really work because of the bulk. If it's a standard camo print you should be able to find yardage that you could use for something like the binding. Also, the quilting itself will be a huge pain if you use the pants because you won't be able to see from the front before you run into a button or zipper or thick flat-felled seam. The quilting pattern would have to go around those areas and would look weird. You'll run into that same problem even using just the flat part of cut pants, but it would be easier to avoid broken needles and thread from hitting obstructions on the pants. Maybe find a matching pair of camo pants and use just the pocket on the back?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Thanks, Sugar, I like the idea of finding a matching pair.

BTW, I love your Twitter handle.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:03 am Thanks, Sugar, I like the idea of finding a matching pair.

BTW, I love your Twitter handle.
Thanks!
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I made a new quilt. I’m not done with the binding yet. I made the “crazed” look by randomly cutting a 10” square of fabric, sewing a white strip, then sewing on the other side, then doing that a couple more times for each.

Don’t look too closely; some of the squares don’t quite line up. :oopsy: :rolleye:
B9359296-72E2-4F4E-AAAC-51F885AA16CA.jpeg
B9359296-72E2-4F4E-AAAC-51F885AA16CA.jpeg (241.54 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
tesibria

Post by tesibria »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:44 am I made a new quilt. ...
That is gorgeous! Has a stained glass look. I love it!!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Awesomeness, Maybenaut.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Beautiful!!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

If things line up perfectly it’d look machine-made, right?

😊

Gorgeous work hon. 👍🏻
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lovely. And I love the colors.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I can’t tell, did you use scraps from the blocks to make the framing border? Or did you find material with all the colors?

Very cool! Stained glass bit ya, huh?

I figure I’ll be able to tell which quilts I made when by the progression of my lining-up skills. I pay no never mind to my mistakes.

Leonard Cohen says
There’s a crack
In everything.
That’s how
The light gets in.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Thanks for the kind words, everybody! I haven’t been doing much sewing since we moved, and it’s really nice to be able to get back into it.

Kate, I used pre-cuts. 10 inch squares for the center blocks, and then for the border, and the binding, I used 2 1/2 inch strips that were also pre-cut, but from a different manufacturer. But they’re all batik, so they have the same sort of look, even though the border and binding are a little more pastel, and a little less vibrant.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

That might be my favorite quilt ever.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Maybenaut, that is a fabulous quilt top. A great idea, and executed to perfection!

:notworthy:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

It’s probably me.

I’m so frustrated. I haven’t been sewing since the shoulder dislocation. It’s funny, the gross motions weren’t bad, but the tiny, fine-motor things were excruciating. So I packed my works-in-progress up for almost a year.

So I finally get back to it, trying to finish a quilt for my not-my-child’s graduation last weekend. Of course, things went smoothly. :lol:

Something happened to the tension and I couldn’t adjust it. It was time for a service but the place I bought it, the only authorized Pfaff dealer nearby, moved to far away. So I took it to a new place.

I’ve had nothing but little troubles since I got it back. The auto threader won’t, the needle becomes unthreaded every time I use the auto snipper. At least the tension is ok. :lol: I’m tempted to go back there and ask them…what, to do a better job? Not likely, not when it’s probably me. I’m still such a neophyte. I MUST be doing something wrong.

Sigh. What am I doing wrong?

ETA: This is the quilt on the design wall. Not sewn yet. Still working on the final placement. Kaffe Fassett.
Mica’s quilt
Mica’s quilt
31770797-AC65-4338-AE87-A717AEC348F8.jpeg (157.83 KiB) Viewed 710 times
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Nice! Is there a sewing machine repair shot nearby? Sometimes a good cleaning/adjusting is all you need and it's not too expensive.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I confess I am a male; I would track down the service manual and fix it myself.

Ah, the joys of the VW for the Complete Idiot book!
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:50 pm

I’ve had nothing but little troubles since I got it back. The auto threader won’t, the needle becomes unthreaded every time I use the auto snipper. At least the tension is ok. :lol: I’m tempted to go back there and ask them…what, to do a better job? Not likely, not when it’s probably me. I’m still such a neophyte. I MUST be doing something wrong.

Sigh. What am I doing wrong?
Oddly enough, if it's coming unthreaded after you use the snipper, it's most likely a tension issue. The snipper cuts the thread tail so short than any extra pull from the tension or if the take up lever is not all the way at the top. My Janome and Viking do the same thing. It's not so bad when I'm chain piecing but can be frustrating when doing single seams. You can either use a little thread leader or just snip by hand. I've gotten in the habit of holding my finger on the cut ends of thread and bobbin before taking the first stitch, too. Just hold the threads down on the bed of the machine with your finger.

Not sure what to suggest about the auto-threader because my Pfaff doesn't have one but the one on one of my Janomes has to be pressed backwards the last little bit to meet the eye of the needle. On my Viking I have to jiggle the needle up the tiniest little bit.

Love the quilt! I'm not a huge KF fan except when the pieces are small like yours are.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Thanks Sugar. I’ll adopt your suggestions about the threads. The threader worked perfectly first time, every time before I had the machine serviced. After I posted my comment, I went back to the machine and found that the needle was only hand tightened and was wiggling out of position. The threader is threading now after about 10 atempts.

I thought I had found a new sewing shop but now I don’t trust them. Come on, hand-tightening the needle? For Foggy: that’s akin to hand-tightening the lug nuts on your tires.

BTW, boss, the manual was my first stop. It was unhelpful. This Pfaff is not like my old Elna, where you could open a door and inspect the mechanism to remove tangled threads, oil the mechanisms, and such.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:53 pm Thanks Sugar. I’ll adopt your suggestions about the threads. The threader worked perfectly first time, every time before I had the machine serviced. After I posted my comment, I went back to the machine and found that the needle was only hand tightened and was wiggling out of position. The threader is threading now after about 10 atempts.

I thought I had found a new sewing shop but now I don’t trust them. Come on, hand-tightening the needle? For Foggy: that’s akin to hand-tightening the lug nuts on your tires.

BTW, boss, the manual was my first stop. It was unhelpful. This Pfaff is not like my old Elna, where you could open a door and inspect the mechanism to remove tangled threads, oil the mechanisms, and such.
A while back I thought I had found the perfect shop myself until my machine came back with the bobbin in backwards and when I commented on it, the repairman argued with me. That's a big nope for me, Sport.

Return to “General Stuff”