Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by Maybenaut »

I taught my granddaughter how to quilt. She picked the colors. It was fun!
35511643-2498-4876-9B93-F02557A72CFE.jpeg
35511643-2498-4876-9B93-F02557A72CFE.jpeg (251.93 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:thumbsup:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Niiiiice!
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Gorgeous. :thumbsup:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Maybenaut: My reaction for 5 minutes-

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Gorgeous!!!! And the stitching! Just WOW!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Very nice!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Beautifully done Maybe.

One of the things I "found" while cleaning out the shed (besides my lost artwork) was a tub of my Mother's things which included a patch quilt made Christmas of 1940. Hand stitched rag panels with all their names on the day. Not nearly the detail or size of yours, but well preserved. Clearly a family heirloom.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Thanks, ya'll!

My granddaughter and I shared the patchwork, keeping two machines running til it was done. Then we loaded the quilt on the long-arm. I showed her how to operate it, and off she went. She did all the quilting stitching herself. She did a great job and I am very proud of her.

I told her I would teach her to sew, and give her a machine to take home with her (I had a machine at the cabin that I no longer use). They're moving across the country in a couple of weeks, so I'm going to have the machine serviced and shipped to her at her new address.

Bill G - what a find! It's so awesome to find something like that that can be handed down to the younger generations. I have a needlepoint that my great-grandmother did in the 1890s, and we have my husband's grandfather clock that his grandfather made during the depression. We'll pass those on to folks in the younger generation most interested in preserving them (might be our kids, might be nieces or nephews, but will definitely be family).
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Well done! The colors are gorgeous, and the piecing and quilting look beautiful.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by RTH10260 »

Crochet enthusiasts asked ChatGPT for patterns. The results are ‘cursed’
The widely popular chatbot is churning out uncanny animal designs and we tried one for a ‘hilarious’ outcome

Kari Paul
Sun 26 Feb 2023 11.00 GMT

The meteoric rise of ChatGPT has sparked an artificial intelligence frenzy, stoking fears that the technology could upend jobs, search engines and schools. But online creators have identified one realm yet safe from the computer takeover: fiber arts.

A number of TikTok users have deployed ChatGPT to write patterns for crochet creations, yielding “cursed” results that are testing the boundaries of nascent artificial intelligence capabilities.

In January TikTok user Alexandra Woolner, who has been knitting for years and crocheting since 2019, hatched the idea to use ChatGPT to make a stuffed animal – initially asking it to write a pattern for a narwhal.

A typical crochet pattern resembles coding in its own way, with abbreviations and punctuation marks denoting the creation process. “Ch” is used to denote “chain”, and “sc” is “single crochet”, for example. Meanwhile, an asterisk (*) implies an instruction should be repeated and brackets [] are used to separate repeatable steps in the instructions.

Woolner was impressed to find that ChatGPT returned comprehensive instructions that resembled a typical pattern. Following the pattern exactly, they created what was described as an “AI-generated narhwal crochet monstrosity”. Woolner said although the product was anatomically disturbing, it was impressive the language-learning tool created a pattern that actually yielded a sea creature.

“The consensus among people who have seen it is that it looks wrong and ugly, but also very cute,” they said. “It came out shockingly very accurate while still being very, very wrong. It’s a weird mix, kind of an uncanny valley.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... rn-results
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.atlantaquiltfestival.com/ev ... hn-lewis-1

Time & Location
Mar 03, 10:00 AM – Mar 31, 4:00 PM
Civil Rights Memorial Center, 400 Washington Ave, Montgomery, AL 36104, USA

Guests

+ 6 other guests
About the event
Good Trouble Quilts - Celebrating the Life and Legacy of Congressman John Lewis is a special exhibit that premeired at the 2022 Atlanta Quilt Festival August 7th - September 2d. It is traveling to other venues during 2023.

The exhibit features approximatley 30 original quilts created by predominantly African American quiltmakers especially for this exhibit. The creativity and the scope of the exhibit will amaze you.

We are especially pleased that this very timely and historical exhibit will be hosted by the Southern Poverty Law Center at its Civil Rights Memorial Center in Montgomery, AL during the annual Selma Jubilee celebration scheduled for March 3-5, 2023.

The exhibit is free and open to the public, but donations to the Atlanta Quilt Festival are welcome.

RSVP
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by RVInit »

Those quilts are fabulous. I would have had a hard time choosing. :lovestruck:

I would really love to see all of them, not just the winners, but I bet there are so many entries, probably would take lots of space and time to get them all photographed and uploaded. Still, would be nice to see all of them. But then, I lurves me some fiber arts.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Gene Kooper

Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by Gene Kooper »

Cross posting from the "Book Banning" thread....well, because of her quilt. I wouldn't be surprised if she is related to Sugar Magnolia. :boxing:

I can only wish that I am as cogent and energetic at 100 as Grace Linn. Her testimony at the Martin County, Florida School Board Meeting of March 21, 2023 should be heard by every American. I am named after my Uncle Gene who was 25 when his fighter plane was shot down in the South China Sea in March 1945 so Grace's testimony has added meaning for me.

None of the fuckwits that really need to hear her testimony will bother to hear the rantings of a doddering old woman. Thanks to Mrs. Gneiss for telling me I needed to see this woman speak!! Mrs. Gneiss also enjoyed seeing the fabulous quilt that Grace made.

And of course MSNBC's Ali Velshi had to interview her yesterday on his show.

#VelshiBannedBookClub: 100yr old Grace Linn quilts to fight bans
The best thing about the #VelshiBannedBookClub is the community we've formed over the last year – our devoted members who write to us from all over the nation with questions for authors, suggested books, and moving stories – like that of 100-year-old Grace Linn. At the age of 99, Linn made a quilt – featuring the covers of banned and challenged books including some of our own features like "Beloved" by Toni Morrison and "Two Boys Kissing" by David Levithan. This week, Linn, who has known the fight for democracy intimately since losing her first husband in WWII, went viral addressing 500 people at a school board meeting in Martin County Florida and told them just how crucial books and reading truly are. “Every human being is just as important as any other,” says Linn, who continues her decades-long dedication to freedom, democracy, and the books that protect those two impossibly fragile things.
March 25, 2023
Kudos to Grace Linn!

Edited: to make sense.
sugar magnolia

Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by sugar magnolia »

Thank you!. I love library quilts. This is one I made a couple of years ago for a friend who is a Montessori teacher.
Attachments
BatsonBookcase.jpg
BatsonBookcase.jpg (502.26 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by johnpcapitalist »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:02 pm Thank you!. I love library quilts. This is one I made a couple of years ago for a friend who is a Montessori teacher.
That's really cool. You do great work!

I didn't know that "library quilts" were a thing until this post. I moved into a larger house recently and was able to move all my books (the bookcases cover all the available wall space) into a combined guest room/library. I would love to get a library quilt for one of the chairs. Off to set up searches on eBay and all the estate sale sites I scan...
Gene Kooper

Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by Gene Kooper »

Thank you for sharing the photo of your quilt! Mrs. Gneiss loves your library quilt, Sugar (me too, also). You are a very gifted fiber artist.

As with Mr. Capitalist, I didn't know there was such a thing as a library quilt.
RVInit

Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by RVInit »

I am way behind on reading this forum. Sugar, that quilt is amazing! Your work on quilts is very impressive. :lovestruck:
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by RVInit »

I made a couple or so ring dishes. One is still in the oven, but here are a few I have made previously. The new one is way different, will try to remember to post the photo. They are made of polymer clay. The dishes are coated with a mixture of colors of mica powder in the same color family and then silkscreened with a basically central design. Then baked for an hour or more to make sure hey are super strong and won't break or crack if dropped or manhandled. I think they came out fairly nice.
GeckoRingDishSmall.jpg
GeckoRingDishSmall.jpg (58.04 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
RingDish1Small.jpg
RingDish1Small.jpg (73.57 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
TutleRingDishSmall.jpg
TutleRingDishSmall.jpg (95.28 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
--Colin Kaepernick
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by Slim Cognito »

LOVE them!
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
RVInit

Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by RVInit »

Not the best photo, but here is the latest ring dish I made. This time I did a basic Skinner blend of three clay colors and then used mica powder to color the pepper. It's quite different from the others, not sure how much I like it, but it's quite colorful. I used a stencil of southwestern symbols as a kind of texture stamp for the background of this one with the mica powder pepper on top.
PepperSmall.jpg
PepperSmall.jpg (151.09 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
--Colin Kaepernick
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Beautiful work RVInit!!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by Phoenix520 »

RV, I love those dishes! Do you use a mold for the dish?
Patagoniagirl

Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by Patagoniagirl »

RVInit wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:30 pm I made a couple or so ring dishes. One is still in the oven, but here are a few I have made previously. The new one is way different, will try to remember to post the photo. They are made of polymer clay. The dishes are coated with a mixture of colors of mica powder in the same color family and then silkscreened with a basically central design. Then baked for an hour or more to make sure hey are super strong and won't break or crack if dropped or manhandled. I think they came out fairly nice.

GeckoRingDishSmall.jpg

RingDish1Small.jpg

TutleRingDishSmall.jpg
Stunning! As all Bowser arts.
RVInit

Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by RVInit »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:07 am RV, I love those dishes! Do you use a mold for the dish?
I use a cutter that is made for polymer clay, very much like a cookie cutter, to cut the round shape. To curve the dish I put it into the bottom of the inside of a small metal bowl and gently push the center down.
--Colin Kaepernick
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Fogbow Arts and Crafts

Post by bill_g »

Nicely done RV. Love 'em.

Return to “General Stuff”