Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Derek Chauvin trial: The murder of George Floyd

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: Derek Chauvin trial: The murder of George Floyd

Post by Maybenaut »

bob wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:50 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:44 pm I don’t know about MN, but some states permit a defendant to move for a new trial while the Court still has jurisdiction over the case.
Yes, and Chauvin did move for a new trial.
Has the trial judge rule on the motion yet?
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bob

Post by bob »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:57 pm Has the trial judge rule on the motion yet?
No; IIRC, what's before the judge right now is a request for more time to brief the new-trial motion.
Image ImageImage
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

bob wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:04 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:57 pm Has the trial judge rule on the motion yet?
No; IIRC, what's before the judge right now is a request for more time to brief the new-trial motion.
Thanks. I was hoping the judge wasn’t telegraphing his finding about a fair trial in his ruling ruling on aggravating factors. I do think there were aggravating factors, but I also want Chauvin’s claim re juror misconduct to be fairly considered. I’m not hoping for a particular result, but I do want the process to work.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Not sure if we should have a different thread for this. The trial for the other ex-officers has been moved back. Apparently that will make the federal trial happen first.

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Derek Chauvin's defense lawyer asks the court to sentence him to time served and probation (meaning he'd be released on the sentencing date). Obviously this is a preposterous position and won't be granted.

https://mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov/media/ ... 022021.pdf
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

I don't understand that position by Chauvin's lawyer. I tell all my clients when I'm going to make a sentencing recommendation that it's in their interests for me to make a recommendation that doesn't make the judge laugh in my face. Apparently Eric Nelson doesn't believe in that philosophy.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

So let's assume that Chauvin gets probation. Where does he go? He couldn't live safely in a community. Even if they had reverse witness protection program (a/k/a a criminal protection program), his face would give him away. He couldn't reside in prison either, unless in solitary confinement. The only place I could see Chauvin surviving would be either in solitary confinement or in a prison block of fellow racists and neo nazis.
Il factotum
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I think his limited resources might make moving difficult, but I doubt he would have all that much trouble finding a safe haven. Somewhere white majority town in the south would probably have a high enough concentration of supporters that he would be fine, maybe even a local celebrity.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neeneko wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:45 am I think his limited resources might make moving difficult, but I doubt he would have all that much trouble finding a safe haven. Somewhere white majority town in the south would probably have a high enough concentration of supporters that he would be fine, maybe even a local celebrity.
More likely some place like Sand Point, Idaho.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

With approval of his probation officer and the probation officials of his destination state, of course. Regardless of where he lived, he'd need to have eyes in the back of his head.
Il factotum
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/prose ... li=BBnb7Kz
Prosecutors on Wednesday said they are seeking a 30-year sentence for former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, convicted in April of the murder of George Floyd, while his defense attorney asked for less than the 15-year maximum in state sentencing guidelines or probation.

Defense Attorney Eric Nelson also made his most extensive argument yet that Mr. Chauvin should be granted a retrial because of what he called prosecutorial and juror misconduct and errors by the judge, particularly in not granting a change of venue.

Mr. Chauvin is expected to be sentenced June 25 after being found guilty in April of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter after kneeling on Mr. Floyd’s neck and back for more than nine minutes as he lay handcuffed in a prone position.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
filly

Post by filly »

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Maybe his stupid ass should have thought about that before murdering someone.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

As someone who made a career out of inflicting those 'long term consequences' on others, I don't think he has much of a moral leg to stand on.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:43 pm Maybe his stupid ass should have thought about that before murdering someone.
he was under the mistaken belief he'd skate
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Flatpoint High wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:29 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:43 pm Maybe his stupid ass should have thought about that before murdering someone.
he was under the mistaken belief he'd skate
Based on his history, I was not surprised at the look on his face when the jury found him guilty of all charges. He truly was baffled and could not believe he was actually going to be held accountable. That has not happened for his entire time in the police force, as he got away with one after another atrocity.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

The entitlement is strong with this one.
101010 :towel:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

northland10 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:18 am The entitlement is strong with this one.
Very strong
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Oh, the poor dear. Wait till he finds out he cant have his chilled wine and after dinner mint.

Hic sunt dracones
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

He seems more the Old Millwater type. But yeah, he can't have that either! :mrgreen:
--Colin Kaepernick
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

RVInit wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:18 pm He seems more the Old Millwater type. But yeah, he can't have that either! :mrgreen:
Many years ago, my dad was making something that had beer as an ingredient. Since it was cooked, it really did not matter what type or if it was any useable quality so he bought Old Millwater. While busy cooking, he took a drink from it and the next thing I heard was him loudly exclaiming, "Good God!!!!"

The rest of the six-pack that was not needed for cooking was poured down the drain (the cans were returned for the deposit).
101010 :towel:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Off Topic
:lol: I guess there is a reason it's the cheapest beer on the shelf!
--Colin Kaepernick
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Sentencing day tomorrow.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Kendra wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:26 pm Sentencing day tomorrow.
Thank you for the reminder!

I hope the judge lengthens his sentence due to aggravating circumstances.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Hopefully someone airs it live. I hear Chauvin's asking for time served or something like that?

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”