Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Derek Chauvin trial: The murder of George Floyd

LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Derek Chauvin trial: The murder of George Floyd

Post by LM K »

Jury selection for Derek Chauvin was supposed to begin today. Jury selection has been postponed for at least a day.

Chauvin is charged with 2nd degree murder and manslaughter. A charge of 3rd degree murder might be readded, so arguments about this have delayed jury selection.

Chauvin was arrested on June 3, 2020.

Trial is set to begin on March 29.

Case background: https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/03/ ... -timeline/
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Dave from down under

Re: Derek Chauvin trial: The murder of George Floyd

Post by Dave from down under »

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Coverage down here on jury selection

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-10/ ... d/13232840

Key points:
The first juror was excused after she said she didn't understand why the officer didn't get up when Mr Floyd said he couldn't breathe
Potential jurors must show they can set aside their opinions on the case and view the evidence fairly
It illustrates the challenges facing attorneys in seating a jury after video of Mr Floyd's arrest has been widely seen around the world
LM K

Post by LM K »

Dave from down under wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:52 pm Coverage down here on jury selection

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-10/ ... d/13232840

Key points:
The first juror was excused after she said she didn't understand why the officer didn't get up when Mr Floyd said he couldn't breathe
Potential jurors must show they can set aside their opinions on the case and view the evidence fairly
It illustrates the challenges facing attorneys in seating a jury after video of Mr Floyd's arrest has been widely seen around the world
I pride myself as being a critical and objective thinker. That said, I'd be dismissed as a potential juror. The video of Chauvin kneeling on Floyd's neck hinders my ability to be as open minded as a juror should be in Chauvin's trial.

The video is damning enough. But the attempts by other officers to turn Floyd on his side or in another position were blocked by Chauvin.

I can't imagine anything that would away my thoughts on Floyd's death. In light of Chauvin's actions, I don't care that Floyd had drugs in his system. I don't care that Floyd wouldn't get in the car. As other officers said to Chauvin, they could have moved Floyd into a safer position.

I can't see myself moving past these perceptions/beliefs. Every defendant deserves an unbiased jury. This is likely the first case I've read about where I wouldn't be able to be more objective. Those like me shouldn't be jurors in this case.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Excellent coverage of today's jury selection:
https://www.startribune.com/3-jurors-no ... 600032072/
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Chauvin gets a trial; George Floyd didn't. That's all I'm gonna say. :cussing:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

I will be in the jury pool for the trial of Letecia Stauch, who is charged with the murder of her stepson Gannon Stauch in early 2020. So far, her trial has been delayed by the pandemic, time spent being evaluated for whether she is competent to assist in her trial, an escape attempt, and her successful effort to persuade a judge she can represent herself at trial. If called I will honestly say I am unable to be unbiased as juror in her case.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

State of Minnesota v. Derek Chauvin - George Floyd trial

Post by fierceredpanda »

Creating a new topic for this. Day 3 of jury selection is underway. Video here:

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
We have a thread, it was in Current Politics. Moving it to Law and Lawsuits.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Foggy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:34 pm
 ! Message from: Foggy
We have a thread, it was in Current Politics. Moving it to Law and Lawsuits.
Apologies. I looked in the wrong place. :bag:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
LM K

Post by LM K »

The 3rd degree murder charge has been reinstated.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/11/97600860 ... oyds-killi
somerset

Post by somerset »

Hopefully there will be a conviction on 2nd degree and the option of 3rd degree murder won't be needed. But it's good to have that to fall back on.

A question for FRP - Is it normal to seat only two alternate jurors for a case like this? I'd think high profile, potentially long cases would have more.
tencats

Post by tencats »

George Floyd’s Family Settles Suit Against Minneapolis for $27 Million
Friday, March 12, 2021 2:14 PM EST
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/12/us/g ... 3b5349865f
The family of George Floyd, the Black man whose death set off a wave of protests after a video showed a white police officer kneeling on his neck for more than nine minutes last May, has settled a lawsuit against Minneapolis for $27 million, city officials said on Friday.

The City Council voted unanimously to approve the settlement, and a spokeswoman for the city said Mayor Jacob Frey would sign the measure.
Could this announcement of the settlement today have any bearing on the outcome of the Derek Chauvin trial?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

tencats wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:21 pm George Floyd’s Family Settles Suit Against Minneapolis for $27 Million

Could this announcement of the settlement today have any bearing on the outcome of the Derek Chauvin trial?
I hope not. That civil wrongful-death case can't be used as evidence in Chauvin's criminal trial.
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

The RWNJ's keep saying it was a drug overdose.

Is it correct that there has not been any expert medical witness endorsed that will testify to that?
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

dan1100 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:01 am The RWNJ's keep saying it was a drug overdose.

Is it correct that there has not been any expert medical witness endorsed that will testify to that?
I've heard that drugs, combined with a complete lack of oxygen for 5+ minutes, tends to kill people.
Il factotum
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updat ... oronavirus
Medical Examiner's Autopsy Reveals George Floyd Had Positive Test For Coronavirus

A full autopsy report on George Floyd, the man who died after being restrained by Minneapolis police last month, reveals that he was positive for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The 20-page report also indicates that Floyd had fentanyl and methamphetamine in his system at the time of his death, although the drugs are not listed as the cause.

Floyd's death has been ruled a homicide.

The autopsy report from Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office concludes the cause of death was "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression." That conclusion, death due to heart failure, differs from the one reached by an independent examiner hired by the Floyd family; that report listed the cause of death as "asphyxiation from sustained pressure."
ETA: https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... as-homici/
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

dan1100 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:01 am The RWNJ's keep saying it was a drug overdose.

I would be tempted to respond by asking when kneeling on somebody's neck became the standard treatment for an overdose.
101010 :towel:
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

northland10 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:47 pm

I would be tempted to respond by asking when kneeling on somebody's neck became the standard treatment for an overdose.
It's kind of a specific trial procedure question.

Only a medical doctor can testify as to cause of death. I'm wondering whether the defense has managed to buy themselves one or not.
filly

Post by filly »

From the press reports it seems like a jury that the defense will love. 7 jurors so far, 6 men. One of the men (it may be the only black man, originally from Africa) expressed the thought that Floyd just should've complied with the cops' instructions. I also get the sense that some of these people are very anxious to get on this jury.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Janelle Fiona Griffith
@janellefiona
The judge in Derek Chauvin's murder trial has dismissed a second juror today who said he was influenced by the $27 million settlement the city of Minneapolis reached with George Floyd's family.

"That sticker price shocked me and swayed me a little bit, yes," Juror No. 27 said.

Janelle Fiona Griffith
@janellefiona
So far, one juror has been dismissed: Juror No. 36, who said the settlement will impact his opinion "a lot" and it will be hard for him to be impartial.

"This just kind of confirms my opinion that I already had," he said.

He was dismissed for cause.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

Would it shock me if the City deliberately timed this settlement in order to make it less likely that Chauvin will be convicted?

No. No it would not. In fact, I struggle to think of any other plausible explanation. Taint the jury by making it look like the victim's family is in it for money.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

fierceredpanda wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:22 pm Would it shock me if the City deliberately timed this settlement in order to make it less likely that Chauvin will be convicted?

No. No it would not. In fact, I struggle to think of any other plausible explanation. Taint the jury by making it look like the victim's family is in it for money.
Oddly enough, my first thought was "wow, even the city knows he fucked up if they've paying out that much money."
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

My first thought was, "Great, now a bunch of potential jurors will be dismissed because they have a normal human reaction of compassion and disgust about the crime, and a sense of fairness about the payout, leaving more of those who are indifferent or unmoved."

Sort of like with a death-penalty qualified jury.
filly

Post by filly »

So should the City have proceeded with the wrongful death case during the pendency of this trial? If Chauvin isn't convicted, the value of the civil settlement may have been significantly decreased. Then the City would've faced criticism for that.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”