Derek Chauvin trial: The murder of George Floyd

bob

Re: Derek Chauvin trial: The murder of George Floyd

Post by bob »

noblepa wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:25 pm
orlylicious wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:04 pm Just catching up now, a family member on CNN is mad the sentence wasn't longer (they want a life sentence) and reminds folks to vote.
Was a life sentence even a sentencing option for the judge?
No; the maximum for second degree murder in Minnesota is 40 years. (And anything over 30 likely would have been vacated.)
Image ImageImage
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Am I reading the Minnesota rules for 'good behavior' with prisons correctly? 1 day credit for each 2 days good behavior? Meaning they will only serve 2/3rds of their sentence (~15 years in Chauvin's case) before being paroled? :think:
bob

Post by bob »

neonzx wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:49 pm Am I reading the Minnesota rules for 'good behavior' with prisons correctly? 1 day credit for each 2 days good behavior? Meaning they will only serve 2/3rds of their sentence (~15 years in Chauvin's case) before being paroled?
I believe that's correct. (I've seen that reported multiple places.)

Which is how I suspect the judge landed on 22.5 years. (Yes, I know it was (150+120)/12.)
Image ImageImage
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I just want to take Gianna and squeeze her.

She is adorable and I love her voice
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Does anyone know how much time Chauvin is looking at for his federal sentence?
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K

Post by LM K »

Direct link to the sentencing memorandum.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... ncing.html
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

LM K wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:40 pm Direct link to the sentencing memorandum.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... ncing.html
Paywall. :blackeye:

Free:
https://www.scribd.com/document/5130226 ... fullscreen
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

sad-cafe wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:45 pm the apple didn't fall far from the tree did it?
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
LM K

Post by LM K »

Derek's mom called him her favorite son, not favorite child. Derek has a younger sister and no brothers.

A quote from Mom's statement:

"When you sentence my son you will also be sentencing me. I will not be able to see Derek, talk to him on the phone, or give him our special hug. Plus the fact that when he is released, his father and I will most likely not be here." :shock: :mad:

I'm surprised that Chauvin's lawyer didn't ask his mom to leave out that part of her statement. Chauvin will serve 15 years. George Floyd lost all of his years.

Mom didn't mention the victim or his family once.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

When did they stop allowing visits and phone calls in prison?

And "special hug" sounds sort of creepy.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:43 pm When did they stop allowing visits and phone calls in prison?

Of course they didnt. I dont know what the Defense thought her statement would accomplish. I thought it was selfish and cruel.
LM K

Post by LM K »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:43 pm When did they stop allowing visits and phone calls in prison?

They haven't. His mom was fos. Covid has significantly cut back on in person visits. But video calls are available as are regular phone calls.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

George's family won't be able to hug him again either.
Largo al factotum.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:05 pm

Of course they didnt. I dont know what the Defense thought her statement would accomplish. I thought it was selfish and cruel.
Putting on an effective sentencing case is perhaps the most difficult job a defense attorney has. If the client shows remorse, he’s only sorry he got caught. If he shows no remorse, he’s cold. If the defense counsel tells the mom she can’t say everything she wants to say, he leaves himself open to an ineffective assistance claim. If he lets her go on like he did, he leaves himself open to an ineffective assistance claim.

In the end, I don’t think it matters much. He was sentenced by a judge, not a jury. Judges are less likely to be swayed one way or another by the defense sentencing case. In fact, in this case the judge clearly already had his 22-page ruling ready. I think it’s unlikely in the extreme anything that happened at the hearing changed his mind about what he planned to award.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

The sense of entitlement gushing from both Chauvin and his mother is sickening.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Treeapple
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

filly wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:41 pm
Kendra wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:38 pm The peeps at HLN are not impressed with the mother's comments. At all.
Her failure to acknowledge the Floyd family was pretty cold.

One thing I learned today from Nelson: Chauvin is a father. That's scary.
His wife has 2 kids, but Chauvin is the father of none.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Kate520 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:23 pmTreeapple
:yeahthat:

Racist treeapple.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:20 pm The sense of entitlement gushing from both Chauvin and his mother is sickening.
Scary thing is, I don't even really see it as 'entitlement'. I see it as a rather blunt example of the focus on 'family' and 'honor'. While most people keep the quiet voice quiet, this is really how honor based morality works. How he treats his kin matters, and the impact on the family matters. Other people give or take honor, but are not part of it.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.wktv.com/content/news/Forme ... 28381.html
Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who was convicted in April on state murder charges for killing George Floyd, pleaded not guilty on Thursday in a federal case related to the use of unreasonable force on a 14-year-old in September 2017.

Chauvin was arraigned via video conference before US District Magistrate Judge Hildy Bowbeer on two counts of federal civil rights violations. He declined to have the charges read against him in court.

The ex-cop wore a tan shirt in what appeared to be a conference room -- a yellow pad in front of him -- at Minnesota's maximum-security prison in Oak Park Heights outside of Minneapolis, where he's serving a 22 1/2-year sentence for Floyd's murder. He spoke briefly, answering short procedural questions and entering his plea.

A federal grand jury indicted Chauvin and three other former officers in May for allegedly violating Floyd's constitutional rights.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2021/10 ... 633590871/
Court denies Derek Chauvin's request for public defender in appeal

"Due to my current incarceration, I do not have the sufficient means to retain private counsel for the appeal," he said in the document. "I currently have no source income, besides nominal prison wages, nor do I own any real property or vehicles."

He said the only assets he has are two retirement accounts, and if he accessed them early he would incur "a significant penalty." :violin: :violin: :violin:

"The district court case for which I intend to appeal was paid for by the Minneapolis Peace and Police Officer's Association," he said, "and I have been informed that their obligation to pay for my representation terminate upon my conviction."
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
somerset

Post by somerset »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:59 am https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2021/10 ... 633590871/
Court denies Derek Chauvin's request for public defender in appeal

"Due to my current incarceration, I do not have the sufficient means to retain private counsel for the appeal," he said in the document. "I currently have no source income, besides nominal prison wages, nor do I own any real property or vehicles."

He said the only assets he has are two retirement accounts, and if he accessed them early he would incur "a significant penalty." :violin: :violin: :violin:

"The district court case for which I intend to appeal was paid for by the Minneapolis Peace and Police Officer's Association," he said, "and I have been informed that their obligation to pay for my representation terminate upon my conviction."
The dude is looking at spending the rest of his life in prison, and he's worried about the tax implications of withdrawing money from his IRAs. Gotta love his priorities ;)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

He apparently doesn't want to take responsibility for his actions. He wants someone else to pay for his appeal.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

somerset wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:29 pm
The dude is looking at spending the rest of his life in prison, and he's worried about the tax implications of withdrawing money from his IRAs. Gotta love his priorities ;)
I know, right?! One would think it would be money well-spent if the appeal were to succeed.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

He didn't pay for his defense the first time, the union did. What happened to all the money that was raised for him? Or did they? And how much was that?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”