Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Republicans behaving badly

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Republicans behaving badly

Post by raison de arizona »

Estiveo wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:42 pm Seems Mr. Hyde is trying to Dr. Jekyll his way out of the bad press with a little mea culpa op ed.
OPINION: Martin Hyde apologizes for confrontation with Sarasota police officer
-Martin Hyde

First let me say what some of you may have seen of me during a traffic stop on Valentine’s Day – of all days – was not an isolated incident.

People tend to equivocate and talk about extenuating factors – or claim it’s ”not indicative of who I am.” But, sadly under some circumstances, it is who I am.

:snippity:

At the point when I realized that my rather silly statement – “Do you know who I am?” – wasn’t going to work, I should have shut up and let it go. But I didn’t. Unfortunately, instead of restraint and a little humility, it was righteous indignation that ran through my veins.

The result was a video that showed me at my rather pathetic worst, and for which no apology or explanation is likely to be accepted. Nor should it be. However, I will say this one more time for posterity:
:snippity: :snippity: :snippity:
https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/opi ... 936662001/
His latest trick:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Nevada GOP attorney general nominee said Democrat 'should be hanging from a f*cking crane'
Sigal Chattah later claimed that her comment about Nevada Democratic Attorney General Aaron Ford, who is Black, was 'tongue-in-cheek.'

Republican voters in Nevada on Tuesday picked a nominee for attorney general who once called for the lynching of the state's current attorney general, who is Black.
:snippity:
https://americanindependent.com/nevada- ... -election/

To add, she didn't mean anything racial, so it's ok.
According to texts released by Sarah Ashton-Cirillo, a former friend, in January, in April 2021 Chattah had written to her about Ford, "This guy should be hanging from a fucking crane."

She said later that the comment was "tongue-in-cheek" and had no racial overtones. Chattah, who immigrated to the United States from Israel at the age of 14, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal in February, "When I say to my friends, 'I'm going to hang you from a crane,' I don't literally mean I'm going to hang you from a crane. ... I would never attribute a racial context to hanging from a crane. ... That is my culture. That's what is done to people in the Middle East, to traitors. And that's just part of my vernacular."
Because saying a political opponent "should be hanging from a fucking crane" is pretty much OK as long is it isn't racial. I guess.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

:fuckyou:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jason-ravn ... th-dakota/
South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg convicted on 2 impeachment charges, removed from office

The South Dakota Senate on Tuesday convicted Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg of two impeachment charges stemming from a 2020 car crash in which he killed a pedestrian, triggering his automatic removal from office.

A vote was pending on whether Ravnsborg should be barred from holding future office.

The Republican-controlled Senate voted to convict Ravnsborg, a Republican, on both impeachment charges against him: committing crimes that caused someone's death, and malfeasance for misleading law enforcement and abusing the powers of his office.

Ravnsborg's face showed little emotion as the vote on the first article of impeachment went down to the final senator's vote and passed with the minimum needed for conviction. He held his hand over his mouth as he had for much of the trial, then wrote a note on a notepad in his lap.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Thank Gawd.
raison de arizona

went down to the final senator's vote and passed with the minimum needed for conviction
:roll:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Oh my, they're in such a pout here. :faint:

lmao Rep. James Comer used his opening statement during a hearing about the Washington Commanders' toxic workplace culture to diss Joe Biden. What a clown.
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

So the AG's defense that the glasses found in his car were those of the deer didn't fly?
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Whadya mean those weren't his glasses?
glasses.png
glasses.png (176.18 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:29 am

Ravnsborg's face showed little emotion as the vote on the first article of impeachment went down to the final senator's vote and passed with the minimum needed for conviction. He held his hand over his mouth as he had for much of the trial, then wrote a note on a notepad in his lap.
Ravnsborg wrote:I am so fucked.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona

*checks twitter* Yep, James Woods is still an asshole.
James Woods @RealJamesWoods wrote: You’re going to need a bigger dress.
Monica Lewinsky (she/her) @MonicaLewinsky wrote: fuck you roberts.
fuck you thomas.
fuck you alito.
fuck you kavanaugh.
fuck you gorsuch.
fuck you coney barrett.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I don't need to see the sexist, lying tweets of random quasi-famous assholes here, in he wake of the repeal. Especially because there is an endless supply.

Yes/no?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thoughts and prayers to all the Americans digging themselves out of the rubble and ashes of their cities today.
Still watching comfort TV, haven't looked at news this morning. Any cities burn down last night?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:21 am I don't need to see the sexist, lying tweets of random quasi-famous assholes here, in he wake of the repeal. Especially because there is an endless supply.

Yes/no?
They kinda trigger me. Spoiler them maybe?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Kendra wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:25 am
Thoughts and prayers to all the Americans digging themselves out of the rubble and ashes of their cities today.
Still watching comfort TV, haven't looked at news this morning. Any cities burn down last night?
I've tried really hard over the last few years to not watch the news over the weekend. It's done wonders for my sanity. I ignore the notifications on my watch and phone, too. Last night was awful, and I went to bed with a headache. Definitely not watching this weekend.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Single and unmarried? How awful.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Kendra wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:25 am Still watching comfort TV, haven't looked at news this morning. Any cities burn down last night?
All pretty docile. Antifa is off their game.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

neonzx wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:29 pm
Kendra wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:25 am Still watching comfort TV, haven't looked at news this morning. Any cities burn down last night?
All pretty docile. Antifa is off their game.
Thanks. What I expected.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Sure, the repugnant RWNJ posts could be put under spoilers, but it is their thread after all. Turning to comfort TV, which appears to be shows from 50 years ago, is doing whatever one needs to do to not lose oneself in the tumult.

I am hoping that all those on TFB find some solidarity and strength for what else is coming. This is not over, nor is it only beginning. This is a product of decades of confusing Americans and dividing us to the point that we are experiencing the backsliding of rights.

That is happening today. What about tomorrow? What about what must begin to happen in November? What about other rights? Marriage equality and contraception and even what the post-Roe landscape will be is at stake. America needs your wise strong voices at this time and in the days, weeks, months, election cycles and life spans to come.

Blessings to all.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Martha Raddatz to Gov. Kristi Noem: "The 14 states that have the most restrictive abortion laws, including South Dakota, invest the least in policies and programs for women and children. So what do you mean when you say these mothers will never be alone?"
:think: :confuzzled:

Is it just me, or is there a pattern emerging in the states that are banning abortion are NOT expanding services to help women who are forced into untenable situations?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:explode:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

I screen shotted this, as it sends like the kind of thing one would delete. To be clear, however, as of now the tweet remains up. How hopelessly racist is it to tweet to the first Black President that SCOTUS should return us to segregated schools?
FE0F1CC7-CB04-40AD-A319-86842E70D82E.jpeg
FE0F1CC7-CB04-40AD-A319-86842E70D82E.jpeg (334.42 KiB) Viewed 704 times
June bug

Post by June bug »

I hate like hell to say this, but Cornyn’s not stupid enough to be openly advocating for a return to segregation. Looks to me like what he wants people to believe he’s saying is that Brown rightly overturned the 50 year precedent of Plessey, thus “proving” that it can be good to do so when the precedent is “bad”.

That being said:

This is the first overturn of a precedent that had expanded rights.

Cornyn’s tweet is very poorly worded and leaves its meaning “open to interpretation”.

Out of all the tweets on this decision that he could have gone after, he chose to target the one by the first Black American President.

All of which makes me believe he certainly might have been dog whistling.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”