Republicans behaving badly

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: Republicans behaving badly

Post by Slim Cognito »

I have mixed feelings. I hate this bastard so much I actually took his books off the shelving cart when I worked in a used bookstore, stuck them in my purse, brought them home and threw them in my garbage. I don’t know if we would’ve had a chance at the Senate seat if he won the nomination, though. Missouri, like so many other formerly semi-sane states, is bat shit crazy these days. I guess better safer than sorrier.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Playing politics with veteran’s health care? For shame.
New benefits for burn pit victims in limbo after Senate Republicans block plan

A surprise deal on health care and environmental policies announced by Senate Democratic leaders Wednesday afternoon produced an unexpected casualty: the comprehensive toxic exposure legislation veterans advocates expected to pass this week.

The Promise to Address Comprehensive Toxics Act — better known as the PACT Act — had been up for a procedural vote in the chamber with an expectation of final passage before the end of the week.

The measure is the culmination of years of work by advocates to improve health care and benefits for veterans suffering injuries from burn pit smoke, Agent Orange spraying and other military contaminant exposure. It has been widely celebrated as a potential landmark legislative victory in veterans policy.

The measure passed the Senate by a comfortable 84-14 vote in early June, and by a 342-88 vote in the House two weeks ago with significant Republican support.

But on Wednesday, after technical corrections sent the measure back to the Senate for another procedural vote, 41 Senator Republicans blocked the measure, leaving its future uncertain.
:snippity:
https://www.militarytimes.com/veterans/ ... lock-plan/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

And they wonder why enlistment numbers are down. :roll:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Republicans profess to love veterans.

Republicans block bill to help veterans.

Republicans rag on Biden because he couldn't pass a bill to help veterans.

Rinse, repeat.

ImageImageImage x4
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:38 am I have mixed feelings. I hate this bastard so much I actually took his books off the shelving cart when I worked in a used bookstore, stuck them in my purse, brought them home and threw them in my garbage. I don’t know if we would’ve had a chance at the Senate seat if he won the nomination, though. Missouri, like so many other formerly semi-sane states, is bat shit crazy these days. I guess better safer than sorrier.
Legend

:notworthy:
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:18 am Playing politics with veteran’s health care? For shame.
New benefits for burn pit victims in limbo after Senate Republicans block plan

A surprise deal on health care and environmental policies announced by Senate Democratic leaders Wednesday afternoon produced an unexpected casualty: the comprehensive toxic exposure legislation veterans advocates expected to pass this week.

The Promise to Address Comprehensive Toxics Act — better known as the PACT Act — had been up for a procedural vote in the chamber with an expectation of final passage before the end of the week.

The measure is the culmination of years of work by advocates to improve health care and benefits for veterans suffering injuries from burn pit smoke, Agent Orange spraying and other military contaminant exposure. It has been widely celebrated as a potential landmark legislative victory in veterans policy.

The measure passed the Senate by a comfortable 84-14 vote in early June, and by a 342-88 vote in the House two weeks ago with significant Republican support.

But on Wednesday, after technical corrections sent the measure back to the Senate for another procedural vote, 41 Senator Republicans blocked the measure, leaving its future uncertain.
:snippity:
https://www.militarytimes.com/veterans/ ... lock-plan/
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona

Jon Stewart has been an unapologetic and indefatigable champion for taking care of our heroes. I weep.

Thanks for posting Dr. Ken.

Jeez, that was certainly the best ten minutes I'll spend all week. America First my ass, fuck those guys.

Also, an incomplete list of Republican's support for veterans:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Dr. Ken wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:34 pm
wow.
raison de arizona

The dirty 41.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

The usual cast of characters, but for shame Mitt Romney.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:13 am The usual cast of characters, but for shame Mitt Romney.
i really don't get the left holding hope that Mitt is one of us. He's always been shifty trying to play both sides of the fence. I see no redeeming qualities in this Utah Mormon man. He's worse than "concern" Senator Collins. Does he not have a family dog to strap to the roof of the car anymore?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:29 am
pipistrelle wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:13 am The usual cast of characters, but for shame Mitt Romney.
i really don't get the left holding hope that Mitt is one of us. He's always been shifty trying to play both sides of the fence. I see no redeeming qualities in this Utah Mormon man. He's worse than "concern" Senator Collins.
I don't think he's one of us, but while most of the rest are no surprise, I am surprised he'd vote against veterans.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

MeidasTouch
·
7h
@MeidasTouch
This is the fist bump everyone needs to be talking about.

Ted Cruz and fellow Republicans celebrating after blocking a bill to help toxin-exposed veterans survive.
raison de arizona

Unbelievable. Every time you think they've reached the bottom, they find a way to dig deeper.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

And they act like sophomores who just got the answers to the midterm exam with their smug fist bumps.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:mad2: Whatever it takes, don’t let Biden have any wins!
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

A current WaPo headline reads:
Some Republicans fear party is too extreme on abortion and gay rights
And I'm like, "Gee, for the first time since the middle days of the Cold War, Republicans fear something that actually the case. How quaint."

I suppose it beats the hell out of fearing CRT, LGBTQ people, the big Antifa mobs, and Deep State-controlled Jewish Space Lasers, amirite?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

They're only worried because it's affecting their poll numbers.

ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:34 am They're only worried because it's affecting their poll numbers.
I read there was concern a Roe v. Wade decision would hurt them. The January 6 committee hearings are also affecting them. Some independents are not liking what they're seeing.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

I didn't even know where to put this but what?

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Is that why her husband is dumber than a box of rocks?

I should note I'm not totally anti-home school, if you have the resources. A woman I went to school with schooled her kids at home, but her husband had a very comfortable job so she could afford to stay home and put the necessary funds (and time) into it, and she was committed. Her kids ended up in dental school, like their old man (which is another perk of privilege, but I've no doubt they were qualified).

I'm going to say she was waaaaay in the minority of home schooling moms.

ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:34 am They're only worried because it's affecting their poll numbers.
I said McConnell was probably getting blind drunk the night Roe was overturned and people here yelled at me for pronouncing such heresy.

Guess who was right. :mrgreen:
Hic sunt dracones
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

I agree with Slim Cognito. In over 30 years working in the juvenile justice system and in domestic relations, I saw only two cases where homeschooling by a parent attained the level of good/great. Those kids turned out well with good social skills. (The effort to home school well is exhausting for the parent) What I generally saw consisted of parents too lazy, hungover or drug addled to get their kids to school OR parents hiding abuse. And even if the parents did an okay job on the teaching skills, they neglected the social skill training that enable children to survive as a functioning human in a public setting. (I can't count how many teen age pregnancies I saw with parents having that "OMG, how could that have happened" moment. I was protecting my darling angel, blah, blah, blah.)
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I like this video from a person that was homeschooled.

Hic sunt dracones
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”