Republicans behaving badly

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:39 pm SB1515 specifies this text for the commandments which differs from the original 1611 King James Version quite a bit.
Um...
1 - I AM the LORD thy God. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
2 - Thou shalt not make to thyself any graven images.
3 - Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain.
4 - Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
5 - Honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
6 - Thou shalt not kill.
7 - Thou shalt not commit adultery.
8 - Thou shalt not steal.
9 - Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
10 - Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house.
11 - Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his cattle, nor anything that is thy neighbor's."
Maybe they should work on teaching counting in schools...
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:48 pm
Volkonski wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:39 pm SB1515 specifies this text for the commandments which differs from the original 1611 King James Version quite a bit.
Um...
1 - I AM the LORD thy God. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
2 - Thou shalt not make to thyself any graven images.
3 - Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain.
4 - Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
5 - Honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
6 - Thou shalt not kill.
7 - Thou shalt not commit adultery.
8 - Thou shalt not steal.
9 - Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
10 - Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house.
11 - Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his cattle, nor anything that is thy neighbor's."
Maybe they should work on teaching counting in schools...
There’s only 5 Pillars of Islam, much easier cuz you can count them on 1 hand.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Maybe they should put these in the state legislatures, prominently displayed. Especially 5-1011.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Will the Flying Spaghetti Monster now ask for his recipe of bolognese sauce be plastered to the school walls?

:twisted:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I'm in a religious humor group on facebook. A few weeks ago I responded to some meme or other and this woman started asking me to "admit" that that Catholics had changed the 10 Commandments. I started responding with humour then I wished her a good day when she insisted on getting more and more shrill, because I didnt want an argument like she did, and I had no real idea what the hell she was talking about anyway.

But the humour I responded with mentioning the Edition of the Bible commissioned under Charles I which omitted the word "not" from one of the commandments. This resulted in the Most High commanding his chosen people to commit Adultery. :mrgreen:

The other noted misprint was "... a misprint appearing in Deuteronomy 5: the word "greatness" appearing as "great-asse", leading to a sentence reading: "Behold, the Lord our God hath shewed us his glory and his great-asse"" :yikes: :faint:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked_Bible
Hic sunt dracones
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Suranis wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:23 pm I'm in a religious humor group on facebook. A few weeks ago I responded to some meme or other and this woman started asking me to "admit" that that Catholics had changed the 10 Commandments. I started responding with humour then I wished her a good day when she insisted on getting more and more shrill, because I didnt want an argument like she did, and I had no real idea what the hell she was talking about anyway.
Um, I probably shouldn't ask because I will hurt my head after hitting it against the wall after receiving the answer, but, how did she claim Roman Church changed the 10 Commandments? Did they change it in the Vulgate so it was different that the KJV, even though the Vulgate came earlier?

While awaiting your response, I shall now go commit adultery because it is apparently a commandment.

I do wonder if...
But on the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God; on it thou shalt do no work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy servant nor thy maidservant, thine ox nor thine ass, nor any cattle of thine, nor the stranger that sojourns with thee.
This means Google or Alexa should also not do work on the Sabbath.
101010 :towel:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

northland10 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:53 pm
Suranis wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:23 pm I'm in a religious humor group on facebook. A few weeks ago I responded to some meme or other and this woman started asking me to "admit" that that Catholics had changed the 10 Commandments. I started responding with humour then I wished her a good day when she insisted on getting more and more shrill, because I didnt want an argument like she did, and I had no real idea what the hell she was talking about anyway.
Um, I probably shouldn't ask because I will hurt my head after hitting it against the wall after receiving the answer, but, how did she claim Roman Church changed the 10 Commandments? Did they change it in the Vulgate so it was different that the KJV, even though the Vulgate came earlier?
Honestly, i'm not sure. All she said was that "there are 500 article online proving it." I looked it up briefly and it seems to be screaming about a different way of arranging the 13 or so commandments in the text into the 10 people know, which does nothing to change their meaning
Numbering
Further information: Ten Commandments § Numbering schemes

The Old Testament refers to ten individual commandments, even though there are more than ten imperative sentences in the two relevant texts: Exodus 20:1–17 and Deuteronomy 5:6–21. The Old Testament does not make clear how the texts should be divided to arrive at ten commandments. The division traditionally used by the Catholic and Lutheran churches was first derived by the Latin Church Father Augustine of Hippo (354–430) who modified the original order in his book Questions on Exodus. Other Christian communities, such as the Eastern Orthodox Church and many Protestant churches, use the formulation standardized by the Greek Fathers of the Christian East. The two forms have slightly different numbering, but maintain exactly the same substance despite some Protestant claims to the contrary. Rabbinic Jewish numbering is more closely aligned with the Eastern Church tradition, considering the text against covetousness as a single proscription, but differs from Christian denominations in that it considers what many Christians call a prologue to be the entire first commandment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Comma ... c_theology

There's a Catholic defence of the charge here

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/onlin ... mmandments

Personally I think its splitting hairs, and it really does not matter at all. It's just slight differences in translation but the meaning is the same.
While awaiting your response, I shall now go commit adultery because it is apparently a commandment.
Be sure to send pics. :whistle:
I do wonder if...
But on the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God; on it thou shalt do no work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy servant nor thy maidservant, thine ox nor thine ass, nor any cattle of thine, nor the stranger that sojourns with thee.
This means Google or Alexa should also not do work on the Sabbath.
WEEEEELLLL I suppose you could argue Alexa and google are your servants, even though they really serve another... :batting:
Hic sunt dracones
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

There's actually about 3 or 4 hundred commandments aren't there?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

keith wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:25 am There's actually about 3 or 4 hundred commandments aren't there?
Pretty much, ya. But those are ones that the Temple handed down, or are in general written by men, written is "the lord God commands." Over the centuries it turned into a pretty restrictive lawbook that was impossible to fully hold to. That's why in Acts the Apostles said "why should we lay upon others necks a yoke we have not been able to carry ourselves" and scrapped 99.99999% of them all.

The Ten Commandments are supposed to be the 10 Moses brought down from the Mountain carved in Stone tablets. But the way the text is written, there are 13 or so. The arguments come in how to squeeze those 13 commandments into 10 because it involves deleting some text that people consider as mere fluff. Of course one mans fluff is another mans "I will die on this hill," and then we get into pointless wrangling and wars.

Jesus was very much into simplifying and getting to the core of things. Personally I don't care much as the central meaning is pretty clear, no matter what you hold up.
Hic sunt dracones
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

10(13) down to 2..

Matthew 22:36-40

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I choose to believe Mel Brooks History of the World part one was a documentary, including the scene where Brooks errrrr Moses comes down from the mountain carrying three tablets, drops one breaking it, then announces he’s bringing Ten Commandments from God.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:21 am I choose to believe Mel Brooks History of the World part one was a documentary, including the scene where Brooks errrrr Moses comes down from the mountain carrying three tablets, drops one breaking it, then announces he’s bringing Ten Commandments from God.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

That never gets old. Thanks for posting it.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
northland10

Post by northland10 »

:yeahthat:
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/20 ... department
Lawyers Guns & Money Blog:

Stalin, Mao, and the nice lady who runs the county health department

The function of criticism at the present time is to figure out various ways to keep religious lunatics from destroying this country:
In late January, Moss came face to face with the head of the department that he saw as most responsible for trampling freedom in Ottawa County. Adeline Hambley, a 43-year-old with long gray hair and horn-rimmed glasses, had started with the county’s health department 19 years earlier as a field septic inspector.

In one of the previous board’s last acts, the commissioners had picked her to replace her retiring boss. To the old board, Hambley seemed like a person who could work with the new Ottawa Impact board members. She had a reputation for being steady and calm. As the longtime head of the health department’s environmental division, she had nothing to do with coronavirus policy or the mask mandate that had so infuriated Moss and his supporters.

To Moss, Hambley wasa barrier to badly needed change. It was not clear under state law whether they could remove her without cause. And so here she was, standing nervously before the board. “Hi, I met a couple of you, and everyone else, nice to meet you,” she said, before launching into a rapid-fire summary of her 120-person department’s dozens of responsibilities.

Moss and the new board members did not seem interested in any of it. “I just want to be clear that the Ottawa County Board of Commissioners has a very firm stance on mandates, and there will not be mandates in Ottawa County,” he told her.

“We do issue orders regularly as far as systems that have sewage on the ground,” Hambley replied.

“I was referring to mandates regarding parental rights and the once-in-a-hundred-year pandemic. That kind of thing,” Moss said.

Moss and the board’s choice to run the county health department was Nathaniel Kelly, an HVAC service manager with degrees from an online university and no experience working in public health. Kelly, who did not respond to multiple requests for comment, had regularly pushed discredited covid treatments, such as the anti-parasitic drug ivermectin.

Before Moss could install Kelly, he needed a reason to fire Hambley. Then came a report on an obscure right-wing website that thehealth department wasa sponsor of a local public university’s “Sex Ed Week,” which included an event called “Kinky Karaoke” and information about polyamory.

Hambley’s office issued a press release saying the health department’s role in the student-organized eventwas limited to testing for sexually transmitted diseases, which it did monthly on the campus. The new county administrator ordered Hambley to retract the statement, claiming it was a lie.

And Moss, appearing on a conservative radio show, suggested Hambley was engaged in a coverup. “There needs to be accountability,” he said. The next day, Hambley filed a lawsuit in state court, accusing the board of micromanaging the department and illegally attempting to dismiss her without cause.
This is just a small piece of a fascinating article in the WAPO about how radicalized evangelical Christian zealots took over the government in Ottawa County, which is one of the whitest and most conservative places in Michigan, but somehow also in the grip of various satanic cabals. (The county had always been run by old-style boring Republican white guys before the insurrectionists took over). A key subtext to all this is the way that even the most moderate pandemic restrictions — and they were extremely moderate in the USA — radicalized and deranged people whose grip on reality was already tenuous to begin with.

It’s very much worth reading.
A gift link to the Washington Post article is here: https://wapo.st/43XMyBS

My partner grew up in western Michigan, which she left as soon as she could. Her sister still lives in Ottawa County, where she is a brave activist with the local Democratic party and with her church, which displays a rainbow flag and a "Black Lives Matter" sign, and otherwise fits the MAGA definition of "woke."
northland10

Post by northland10 »

chancery wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:15 pm My partner grew up in western Michigan, which she left as soon as she could. Her sister still lives in Ottawa County, where she is a brave activist with the local Democratic party and with her church, which displays a rainbow flag and a "Black Lives Matter" sign, and otherwise fits the MAGA definition of "woke."
Interestingly enough, since the Trump candidate primaried the more moderate Peter Meijer in 2022, the GOP lost that part of West Michigan. Granted, northern Ottawa County went for the GOP and Kent County, and the City of Muskegon voted for the Dem. Meijer's old district did not have Ottawa County so he may not have played well there but I suspect the Trump world would have primaried Pete Hoekstra.

So, Ottawa County hired the losing candidate as County Administrator.

West Michigan has always been heavily Dutch Calvinist (I grew up in Southwest Michigan so I know the area rather well) but it looks like they have had to turn it up a few hundred notches.

The southern part of Ottawa County still had Huizenga who, while losing the upper part of his old district, covered Fred UPton's old SW Michigan part which contains a few rural counties and my hometown Kalamazoo County (which voted for the Dem, of course)
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Oh, good grief. I have a sister who lives in Ottawa County, in Holland, Michigan. I'm going to send her the link to that article. My sister is conservative - our parents were Republicans and, of us seven children, only two of us are Democrats. Anyway, Trump was bad enough that my sister voted for Biden. But, good grief.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby sent me this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA1a1nnx
Mediaite
‘Fake Angry’: Freshman Democrat Reveals ‘Perpetually Outraged’ Colleagues Are Totally Different Behind Closed Doors

Freshman Rep. Jeff Jackson (D-NC) called out some of his House colleagues on Monday, claiming that they “fake” outrage to get attention from anger-hungry media.

“It’s really clear from working there for just a few months that most of the really angry voices in Congress are totally faking it. These people who have built their brands around being perpetually outraged. It’s an act,” Jackson continued, adding:

I’ve seen a bunch of examples. Here’s one. I’ve been in committee meetings that are open to the press and committee meetings that are closed. The same people who act like maniacs during the open meetings are suddenly calm and rational during the closed ones. Why? Because there aren’t any cameras in the closed meetings, so their incentives are different. What I’ve seen is that members of Congress are surrounded by negative incentives. There are rewards for bad behavior. You know what? The big one is being able to reach you.

The big thing that modern media and modern politicians have learned is that if they can keep you angry, they’ll hold your attention. And they both want your attention. So if you’re a politician and you show certain media outlets that you can help them keep their audience angry, they’ll give you their audience. And because so many politicians are willing to play that game now, they’re in competition with each other to see how fake angry they can be.

So that’s real bad. But here’s something good. What I love about this, about communicating with you directly, is that the incentives are different. They can be positive. They can be about speaking to you with respect and real information and in a normal tone of voice. Because if I can talk to you directly, I don’t have to yell.

And if you don’t have to yell to be heard, the whole conversation changes. So going forward, when you hear some enraged member of Congress say something absurd, your first question shouldn’t be how can they possibly believe that. It should be? Do we think they actually do? Because they probably don’t. And for those who want to see politics look less like WWE, I will keep you posted.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

He was on the Chris Hayes program last week. Very sharp!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

I follow him on the tickkey tockey thingy. He comes across as smart, calm, and very reasonable. I may have to move to his district. LOL
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:14 pm Will the Flying Spaghetti Monster now ask for his recipe of bolognese sauce be plastered to the school walls?

:twisted:
“Heh, come over here, kid, learn something. You never know, you might have to cook for 20 guys someday. You see, you start out with a little bit of oil. Then you fry some garlic. Then you throw in some tomatoes, tomato paste, you fry it; ya make sure it doesn’t stick. You get it to a boil; you shove in all your sausage and your meatballs; heh…? And a little bit o’ wine. An’ a little bit o’ sugar, and that’s my trick.” — Clemenza in ‘The Godfather’”
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Chilidog wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:41 pm
“Heh, come over here, kid, learn something. You never know, you might have to cook for 20 guys someday. You see, you start out with a little bit of oil. Then you fry some garlic. Then you throw in some tomatoes, tomato paste, you fry it; ya make sure it doesn’t stick. You get it to a boil; you shove in all your sausage and your meatballs; heh…? And a little bit o’ wine. An’ a little bit o’ sugar, and that’s my trick.” — Clemenza in ‘The Godfather’”
I've never see the Godfather, but I gotta ask, does Chaz Palmenteri play Clemenza by chance? Because when I read that, it was totally in his voice :rotflmao:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

No. Clemenza was short and fat, but he and Palmetiri had the same NY Italian accent.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Chilidog wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:51 pm No. Clemenza was short and fat, but he and Palmetiri had the same NY Italian accent.
Ah well... Thanks!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Let her speak!’: protests after Montana Republicans silence trans lawmaker
Zooey Zephyr hasn’t been allowed to speak on house floor since taking a stand against bill that would ban gender-affirming care

Associated Press
Tue 25 Apr 2023 02.00 BST

Montana protesters brought the state house to a halt on Monday after Republican legislative leaders prevented a transgender lawmaker from speaking for a third day over her remarks about banning gender-affirming medical care for trans youth.

The interruption is the latest development in a three-day fight over Montana state representative Zooey Zephyr’s remarks against lawmakers who support a ban on gender-affirming care. Zephyr, who is trans and a first-term Democrat, hasn’t been allowed to speak on the state house floor since Thursday because she told Republican colleagues last week they would have “blood on their hands” if they banned gender-affirming medical care.

Police arrested half a dozen of Zephyr’s supporters. Protesters, some of whom were forcibly removed from the chambers, chanted “Let her speak!” from the gallery before they were escorted out.

The Missoula Democrat was silenced and deliberately misgendered by some Republican lawmakers throughout last week. She was silenced for a second day on Friday as her Republican colleagues refused to let her speak on the chamber’s floor about a bill that would prevent minors from seeing pornography online.

Republican leaders have insisted Zephyr won’t be allowed to speak until she apologizes. Matt Regier, the house speaker, and his Republican colleagues have indicated they have no plans to back down.

“There are 10,000 Montanans whose voice will not be heard because their representative will not be allowed to speak, and that makes me really sad,” said Representative Connie Keogh, another Missoula Democrat, as proceedings opened on Monday afternoon.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... r-lawmaker

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”