Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Republicans behaving badly

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:53 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:43 pm Wow, watched the full interview. McNally really owns it at least and expresses support for the LGBTQ+ community. I’ll take it. He says he’s sorry for embarrassing people, but he never takes his 🏳️‍🌈 support back. But yeah, awkward is an understatement.
There's just his issue with supporting anti gay bills
But but- he says he’s turned over a new leaf? Hope springs eternal?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:57 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:53 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:43 pm Wow, watched the full interview. McNally really owns it at least and expresses support for the LGBTQ+ community. I’ll take it. He says he’s sorry for embarrassing people, but he never takes his 🏳️‍🌈 support back. But yeah, awkward is an understatement.
There's just his issue with supporting anti gay bills
But but- he says he’s turned over a new leaf? Hope springs eternal?
Hope springing eternal only applies to baseball. Others need not apply.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... chool-gop/
As Florida Republicans are introducing and advancing a wave of bills on gender and diversity that are likely to be signed into law by Gov. Ron DeSantis (R), one GOP lawmaker acknowledged this week that his proposed sexual health bill would ban girls from talking about their menstrual cycles in school.

During a Florida House Education Quality Subcommittee hearing Wednesday, state Rep. Ashley Gantt (D) questioned her Republican colleague, state Rep. Stan McClain, on his proposed legislation that would restrict certain educational materials used in state schools, which Democrats and critics have likened to banning books. House Bill 1069 would also require that instruction on sexual health, such as health education, sexually transmitted diseases and human sexuality, “only occur in grades 6 through 12,” which prompted Gantt to ask whether the proposed legislation would prohibit young girls from talking about their periods in school when they first start having them.

“So if little girls experience their menstrual cycle in fifth grade or fourth grade, will that prohibit conversations from them since they are in the grade lower than sixth grade?” Gantt asked.

McClain responded, “It would.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I hate this fuckin' state.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:02 pm I hate this fuckin' state.
I literally began the two-year plan discussion with my adult son about throwing the extra money at him starting in the Spring or Summer of 2025 so he can afford a bigger place on the NH side of the border in the Greater Boston area to keep a spare bedroom for me in my world travels. Because he dreamt for years of returning either to Gainesville (where he was born) or SoFla (where he lived with me for 8 months back in 2016), but now he's soured on it and I want out. I just need to sell my condo in early 2025 once I'm official 55 and the condo commandos can't put their thumb on the scale, and I'm out ... assuming the political winds in Florida don't change before then.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Utah Rep. Burgess Owens — who has filed for bankruptcy protection five times — is against President Biden's student loan forgiveness program, saying, "debt cannot be canceled."
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Greatgrey wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:10 am https: //twitter.com/sltrib/status/1638166066022031361?s=20
Utah Rep. Burgess Owens — who has filed for bankruptcy protection five times — is against President Biden's student loan forgiveness program, saying, "debt cannot be canceled."
... even though he himself went to college on a footbal scholarship. He got a full ride.

And despite his bankruptcies has a net worth of $35M.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Speaker removes Republican who asked fellow lawmaker if she is a pedophile from House committee

Katherine Gregg, The Providence Journal
Fri, March 24, 2023 at 8:11 PM GMT+1

PROVIDENCE — The GOP lawmaker who asked a Democratic colleague who is one of two openly LGBTQ members in the House if she was a pedophile doubled down on Thursday after he was removed from the legislative committee where confrontation took place last week.

In a statement read aloud by the House clerk, House Speaker K. Joseph Shekarchi gave this explanation for removing Rep. Robert Quattrocchi, R-Scituate, from the House Committee on State Government & Elections:

"While asking questions as a member of the committee, Representative Robert Quattrocchi made several references about the applicability of the legislation to “Satanists” and “pedophiles” and directly asked Representative Kislak, 'Are you a pedophile?'”

"Representative Quattrocchi’s statements to Representative Kislak during the March 17 hearing are not in keeping with the decorum or the integrity of this body. Use of suggestive and offensive language and the disparagement of an esteemed colleague will not be tolerated in this chamber.

"I hereby direct that Representative Robert Quattrocchi be removed as a member of the House Committee on State Government and Elections, effective immediately."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/speaker-remo ... 46129.html
(original: The Providence Journal)
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

'You chose the wrong person': video shows more details of Oklahoma Rep. Dean Davis arrest

Jessie Christopher Smith, Oklahoman
Mon, March 27, 2023 at 7:48 PM GMT+2

Police have released additional footage from the Bricktown arrest Thursday of Oklahoma state Rep. Dean Davis, R-Broken Arrow, that shows him continue to insist officers were constitutionally prohibited from arresting him while the Legislature is in session.

In four excerpts of video footage released late Friday by the Oklahoma City Police Department, Davis, 50, is handcuffed in the backseat of a patrol car, arguing with Sgt. Timothy Brewer, after having been arrested on complaint of public intoxication at a Skinny Slim's bar in Oklahoma City around 2:15 a.m. Thursday.

"You chose the wrong person, congratulations!" Davis can be heard telling the officer, while also claiming that he had been unfairly singled out of the group who were with him that night.

In an arrest report, Brewer wrote early Thursday he and a police lieutenant were traveling eastbound on E. Main St. toward the Bricktown police station when they saw several people on the patio of a bar, which is against the law after 2 a.m. When police approached the group and told them to leave the bar, three men would not comply, the report said. Davis "became argumentative" and pulled out his wallet to show his legislative credentials, according to the arrest report.

Davis "tried to show us a credential and stated to the effect of you don't know how bad you messed up(,) you will find out tomorrow," Brewer wrote. "At this time I advised (Davis) to put his hands behind his back."

More:Police captain arrested on suspicion of DUI, investigation underway

A bartender told the accompanying police lieutenant that she told the men to leave the patio several times because the bar was closed, according to Brewer's report. The witness said the group kept saying they were representatives.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/chose-wrong- ... 05733.html
(original: The Oklahoman)
raison de arizona

The horrors of social emotional learning, and talking about your feelings.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

All the Rs wearing AR-15 lapel pins today are behaving badly. You won't change my mind.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Ben-Prime wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:14 am [I just need to sell my condo in early 2025 once I'm official 55 and the condo commandos can't put their thumb on the scale, and I'm out ... assuming the political winds in Florida don't change before then.
What does being 55 have to do with selling your condo?
bob

Post by bob »

chancery wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:23 pmWhat does being 55 have to do with selling your condo?
WAGs:
1. Some states allow people 55 and over to transfer their (lower) property taxes to a newly purchased property.
2. Some properties have age-related covenants (i.e., the buyer must be at least 55 years old).
Image ImageImage
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Thanks. I have heard of properties where the buyer has to be 55 or older, but he's the seller. And as far as taxes go, he wants to leave the state ....
raison de arizona

My brother-in-law had a condo in FL. It took him two years to sell it due to the condo board shooting down every buyer he brought to them. It was a serious hassle and he considered suing them at multiple points. I wonder if this board has some sort of rule that relaxes the buyer restrictions when the seller is 55+. Or not, just a thought.
bob

Post by bob »

chancery wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:43 pm I have heard of properties where the buyer has to be 55 or older, but he's the seller.
I inferred the intent to buy a property with an age-restriction covenant. A purchase to be funded by the sale of the current property.
Image ImageImage
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Maybe. :think:

I guess we should wait until Ben-Prime explains.

:thumbsup:
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Post by Slarti the White »

bob wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:57 pm
chancery wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:43 pm I have heard of properties where the buyer has to be 55 or older, but he's the seller.
I inferred the intent to buy a property with an age-restriction covenant. A purchase to be funded by the sale of the current property.
Ben-prime has said elsewhere that he has his son looking for a place that has room for him too. also.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Off Topic
Short version of the story is that I snuck into the place on a loophole at 26, since whoever wrote the original age restriction in the bylaws didn't get it 100% right. As a result, the condo board at the time declared war on me, tried to get rid of me, and only gave up after several years of battle when they realized (because my grandpa was actually board treasurer who had to recuse himself from the votes but was able to make his opinion well known even though he and I were at odds at the time) that I wasn't bluffing when I reminded them that the 30-40 year age difference between me and the youngest of them, and the fact that my attorney was a cousin doing it for free, meant I could make it a legal war of attrition if I had to.

Most of those board members are dead, but the policy of the condo boards which have replaced it through the years, is that as long as I keep my mouth shut and don't make waves, they will leave me be. In 2019, when I joined the Foreign Service, my goddaughter briefly caused some trouble that broke that rule, reminded them that I still exist and own the place, and started them making waves again. Once I am 55 and they can no longer make trouble with my actual LIVING there, such that I can actually muster the energy to actually DEAL with them while I am overseas and dealing with other stressors, then I will deal with them enough to sell.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Thanks. That's an interesting story. :thumbsup:
raison de arizona

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/ ... 11968?s=20
MeidasTouch @MeidasTouch wrote: Tennessee Republicans refuse to expel a Republican representative who admitted to sexually abusing minors but are trying to expel Democratic representatives who spoke out against gun violence.
The Tennessee Holler @TheTNHoller wrote: We’re hearing the motion to expel @brotherjones_ @Justinjpearson @VoteGloriaJ for speaking up after being silenced will happen today, and that Speaker @CSexton25 has the votes. Call your reps.

Fascism reigns in Tennessee.
Gloria Johnson is a retired special education teacher. FWIW.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Thus ends the crazy story of Governor Larry hogan's former chief of staff. Dead as a result of him fleeing arrest by the fbi
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

And the conspiracy delusions have begun.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Dr. Ken wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:17 am Thus ends the crazy story of Governor Larry hogan's former chief of staff. Dead as a result of him fleeing arrest by the fbi
https://twitter.com/justin_fenton/statu ... 9818204160
Housley did not witness the shooting, but said that someone who did told him that agents were ordering the man out of the car and to put his hands up, and that the man reached for something and the agents opened fire.

in https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/poli ... OYJI43MA4/
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

A la LaVoy. History repeats itself yet again....
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”