Republicans behaving badly

Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

He was Chairman of the Judiciary Committee and he can’t parse the indictment?

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
June bug

Post by June bug »

Greatgrey wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:08 am He was Chairman of the Judiciary Committee and he can’t parse the indictment?

Funny - he didn’t have any problem parsing, and broadcasting, the contents of an unconfirmed FBI “tip”.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Greatgrey wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:08 am He was Chairman of the Judiciary Committee and he can’t parse the indictment?
:snippity:
Most of the Senate Republicans this morning seem to be using the "I haven't read the indictment" so they won't have to express publicly they think Trump should drop out of the race due to being unfit for office. I bet every single one of them locked themselves in their office and downloaded the indictment as soon as it was available.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

RVInit wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:31 am
Most of the Senate Republicans this morning seem to be using the "I haven't read the indictment" so they won't have to express publicly they think Trump should drop out of the race due to being unfit for office. I bet every single one of them locked themselves in their office and downloaded the indictment as soon as it was available.
"Senator, would you be willing to say under oath in front of a committee of your colleagues that you have not yet read the indictment?"
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:09 pm
RVInit wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:31 am
"Senator, would you be willing to say under oath in front of a committee of your colleagues that you have not yet read the indictment?"
:lol: "Oh, sorry! I'm late for my meeting! Bye!"
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Way to go, Ohio.
J.D. Vance @JDVance1 wrote: Until Merrick Garland stops using his agency to harass Joe Biden’s political opponents, I will hold all DoJ nominees.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

As if you needed another excuse.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:19 pm As if you needed another excuse.
It's even worse because the (D) side has more *actual* 'traditionalists' who hold to Senatorial norms and so really wouldn't despite lip service consider casting aside blue slip and other folk customs. Whereas the (R) side just pays that :shit: lip service until it benefits them. You can bet that if a GOPer is in the White House with a 50-50 or better Senate, they will cut away all the traditions that hinder them because they can and because "elections have consequences."

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Not exactly up to "badly" standards but a head shaker nonetheless.

Him is pretty well known around these parts for his auto upholstery skills, until he developed a retinal tear that, despite three surgeries, has left him blind in his left eye. The sudden loss of vision left him unable to keep up his previous quality of work as he is still adjusting to monovision so he quit sewing even before his cancer diagnosis.

Today he was puttering around in the garage on his 66 Valiant (his first car) and a neighbor stopped to ask if he could fix her headliner. He told her his situation but said he'd look at it and give her some options. As they strolled down to the car, she mentioned that she sure doesn't like this president. Him responded that he sure doesn't like any of the people running against him. She stopped and said, "I don't want to talk politics." He just shook his head, took a quick look and referred her to his former shop.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

MSNBC :press:
@MSNBC@press.coop
A Pennsylvania Republican filed a defamation lawsuit against a local alternative newspaper. It appears to be generating evidence that doesn't help the GOP, @stevebenen writes.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-sho ... ce=twitter #press

Lawsuit inadvertently produces new details about post-2020 chicanery
A Pennsylvania Republican filed a defamation lawsuit against a local alternative newspaper. It's generating evidence that doesn't help the GOP at all.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Doug Maistriano is a stupid jerk. But a dangerous one. I think (hope) he's beyond his sell-by date here. He was talking about getting into the Bob Casey Senate race next year, but he dropped out practically as fast as he got in.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

It's what Jesus would want.
Republicans Declare Banning Universal Free School Meals a 2024 Priority
As states across the country move to make sure students are well fed, Republicans have announced their intention to fight back.

States across the country are moving to provide universal free school meals to all our children. Meanwhile, Republicans are trying to stop them from doing just that.

The Republican Study Committee (of which some three-quarters of House Republicans are members) on Wednesday released its desired 2024 budget, in which the party boldly declares its priority to eliminate the Community Eligibility Provision, or CEP, from the School Lunch Program. Why? Because “CEP allows certain schools to provide free school lunches regardless of the individual eligibility of each student.”

The horror.

Of note is that the CEP is not even something every school participates in; it is a meal service program reserved for qualifying schools and districts in low-income areas. The program enables schools that predominantly serve children from low-income backgrounds to offer all students free breakfast and lunch, instead of means-testing them and having to manage collecting applications on an individual basis. As with many universal-oriented programs, it is more practically efficient and, as a bonus, lifts all boats. This is what Republicans are looking to eliminate.
https://newrepublic.com/post/173668/rep ... 4-priority
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

The cruelty is the reason
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

On multiple occasions, I've gotten Republicans to admit they would rather pay double for health care than allow poor people access to free health care. And this was before MAGA.
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

It also leads to the "Good Christian" dichotomy with some of these Good Old Boy folks: "My suffering is a sign of my goodness. Your suffering is also a sign of my goodness."

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:32 am It also leads to the "Good Christian" dichotomy with some of these Good Old Boy folks: "My suffering is a sign of my goodness. Your suffering is also a sign of my goodness."
Not only that, but makes it easier for religious groups to fill the void with their selective assistance and strings attached. Any time you see a push against government assistance, religious leaders attached to 'charity work' are not far behind it.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Didn't want to keep hijacking the Capitol assault thread, but older article about Gosar. If he has Parkinson's, Huntington's, or TD, I doubt he could practice dentistry anymore.

Paul Gosar was a beloved dentist. Now he’s a MAGA congressman. His former patients need a spit bowl. (gifted)
The dental profession, meanwhile, has been at pains to resolve its enthusiasm for having a dentist in Congress with the awkwardness of seeing that dentist using his profile to undermine public faith in elections. On Sunday, trustees of the American Dental Association determined that their political action committee should suspend future contributions to Gosar. Dentists who have known him for years have reprimanded him, both publicly and privately.

Among his patients, especially the liberal ones, the transformation of their favorite dentist has left a sour taste in their mouths.

“He did a nice little job on a color match to make a denture tooth match the rest of my teeth,” said Craig Beeson. “But now I’m repulsed thinking about it.”

“It’s really awful,” said Joseph Harte, a retired Episcopal priest who had a tooth yanked by Gosar. “To think of him putting his hands in my mouth just gives me the creeps.”
raison de arizona

Kendra wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:47 pm https://twitter.com/aldotcom/status/1663915765106343945
“Due to recent statements by him promoting racial stereotypes, white nationalism and other various controversial topics, I feel compelled to distance myself from his ignorant, hateful rants,” Charles Tuberville, brother of U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, said.
Good.
Max Boot 🇺🇦🇺🇸 @MaxBoot wrote: “You think a white nationalist is a Nazi?” @TTuberville asked. “I don’t look at it like that. I look at a white nationalist as a Trump Republican.”

With champions like that, MAGA ideology doesn’t need any critics.
WHITE NATIONALIST
White nationalist groups espouse white supremacist or white separatist ideologies, often focusing on the alleged inferiority of nonwhite persons. Their primary goal is to create a white ethnostate. Groups listed in a variety of other categories, including Ku Klux Klan, neo-Confederate, neo-Nazi, racist skinhead and Christian Identity, could also be fairly described as white nationalist.
https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate ... ationalist
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

They used to accidentally say the quiet part out loud. Now it's a freaking contest.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:34 pm They used to accidentally say the quiet part out loud. Now it's a freaking contest.
In their world, you have to escalate to get the attention. Since they are not looking to show people how they intend to govern but to show off attacking the left and other enemies, they have to constantly up the ante to give the base something new.

A priest once told me that angry, issues parishes eventually die. Even if they win, their entire being is based on the fight so they soon turn on those that remain. The fight is all they know or want to know. The anger is never assuaged.

Russia, China, NK, the Saudis love this thinking. It makes it easy to weaken the US.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

Wisconsin Republicans push to cut taxes for the rich
The GOP-controlled Wisconsin Legislature is proposing a budget bill with a $3.5 billion income tax cut that would benefit high earners more than it would lower earners.

The GOP-controlled Wisconsin Legislature is expected to vote this week on a $99 billion budget proposal, recommended by the Legislature’s Joint Committee on Finance on a 12-4 party-line vote on June 22, that includes $3.5 billion in income tax cuts and additional property tax reductions. The income tax cuts are disproportionately tilted to the wealthiest taxpayers.
The Wisconsin Examiner reported on June 23, however, that most Wisconsin taxpayers would actually save much less than that on their annual income taxes. Citing data from the Wisconsin Department of Revenue, the outlet noted that more than 80% of filers would save less than $573.

The GOP budget would reduce the number of income tax brackets and reduce the tax rates for each. Individuals earning more than $304,170 annually would pay 6.5% on their earnings, instead of the current rate of 7.65%, a 1.15% reduction. Those making less than $13,811 would see their tax rate cut from 3.54% to 3.5%, a reduction of just 0.04%.

The 11 taxpayers in the state with incomes of at least $75 million would save an average of $1.8 million under the proposal, the Examiner reported.

Democratic lawmakers oppose the GOP budget, noting that it also includes funding cuts for the University of Wisconsin System and child care programs.

“You had a choice between regular Wisconsinites and rich people, and you chose rich people,” said Rep. Tip McGuire on June 22, according to PBS Wisconsin. “Those issues were ignored, denied, for this, what they came out with today, which was primarily a tax cut for the very wealthy.”
https://americanindependent.com/wiscons ... ony-evers/
raison de arizona

There oughta be a law...
https://twitter.com/JoyceWhiteVance/sta ... 25408?s=20
Joyce Alene @JoyceWhiteVance wrote: Narrator: He voted AGAINST broadband
Coach Tommy Tuberville @SenTuberville wrote: Broadband is vital for the success of our rural communities and for our entire economy.

Great to see Alabama receive crucial funds to boost ongoing broadband efforts. https://yellowhammernews.com/alabama-to ... nd-access/
raison de arizona

Name two Senators that voted against expanding broadband.
Greatgrey

Post by Greatgrey »

Ok, not exactly badly, but stupid as fuck.

Oklahoma ain’t sending their best.

Greatgrey

Post by Greatgrey »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:50 pm Name two Senators that voted against expanding broadband.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”