Republicans behaving badly

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bag: He went to Harvard.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Wait, so not all Asians are Chinese? Who knew?

/s
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

neonzx wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:05 pm Wait, so not all Asians are Chinese? Who knew?

/s
I suspect thT the Japanese and the Koreans knew.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:16 pm :bag: He went to Harvard.
— and that will forever be Harvard's shame.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

https://x.com/timkaine/status/1752829338347581568?s=20
Tim Kaine @timkaine wrote: So let me get this straight:

Republicans want to "fix" the border but don't want to pass a bill to do so because they want to attack Biden over it.

AND now they don't want to pass a tax cut for families because it's an election year?

This isn't how we should be governing.
Joseph Zeballos-Roig @josephzeballos wrote: 👀 GOP Sen. Grassley tells me he’s concerned passing Wyden-Smith tax bill might aid Biden’s re-election:

“I think passing a tax bill that makes the president look good mailing out checks before the election, means he could be reelected and then we won’t extend the 2017 tax cuts”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Good point.
https://x.com/ElieNYC/status/1752781933904384387?s=20
Elie Mystal @ElieNYC wrote: Both Tom Cotton and I went to undergrad and law school at Harvard at roughly the same time... so hopefully that helps you understand why I react with near homicidal rage when someone tells me *I'm* the one who didn't get in on merit.
I've been smarter than that kid my whole life.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

I'm old enough to remember Obama issuing Executive Orders, and oh. The. Drama. So what does Congress do exactly then?
nikki mccann ramírez @NikkiMcR wrote: Republican Rep. Troy Nehls on border security:

“Congress doesn't have to do anything.”

Story: https://rollingstone.com/politics/polit ... 234958223/
raison de arizona

:dance:
Mueller, She Wrote @MuellerSheWrote wrote: NEW: Those 10 Oregon republicans who WALKED OUT for 6 weeks last year to BLOCK bills on abortion, trans rights, and gun reform ARE NOT ELIGIBLE to run for reelection: per Oregon Supreme Court.
The opinion: https://www.democracydocket.com/wp-cont ... 1-copy.pdf
raison de arizona

Cognitive dissonance.
Acyn @Acyn wrote: Rand Paul warns that we could become a country where politicians use the judicial system to prosecute their political enemies before complaining that the DOJ hasn’t prosecuted Fauci
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

He's not wrong. :roll: If fuckhead were to win, of course.
bob

Post by bob »

NEW: Those 10 Oregon republicans who WALKED OUT for 6 weeks last year to BLOCK bills on abortion, trans rights, and gun reform ARE NOT ELIGIBLE to run for reelection: per Oregon Supreme Court.
The opinion: https://www.democracydocket.com/wp-cont ... 1-copy.pdf
"For completeness," the voters approved a measure to ban legislators who had more than 10 unexcused absences. (To deter stunts like this.)

SCOOR upheld the SCoOR's enforcement of it (the walkerouters argued it didn't go into effect until next term).

A similar appeal remains pending in the 9th. ("And good luck with that.")
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

I dunno, maybe he learned something.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

For more context, the US was giving Missiles to Saddam Hussein to defeat Iran during the Iran-Iraq war. At the same time they were trading Missiles to Iran to get back Hostages who Iran had kidnapped. Of course Iran just captured more hostages to keep getting missiles. Thumbs up Ronnie.
Hic sunt dracones
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

There was more to it iirc

Ronnie & Oliver was selling those missiles to Iran to get money to fund the right wing CONTRA terrorist as well as to get the release of hostages. Resulting in more hostages taken..

So supporting terrorism in both the Middle East and South America
A twofer!!
raison de arizona

WWE founder Vince McMahon is under federal investigation surrounding sex trafficking allegations, sources say
The revelation comes after a former employee sued McMahon last week alleging she was the victim of sexual assault and trafficking at WWE, and after his exit from its parent company, TKO Group.

Former World Wrestling Entertainment CEO Vince McMahon is under federal criminal investigation as prosecutors try to determine if federal law was broken in conduct surrounding recent allegations of sex trafficking that have been made public in lawsuits, two people familiar with the matter told NBC News.

Last week, the company, McMahon and a former WWE executive were sued by a former employee alleging those crimes.

McMahon has also discussed being under federal investigation and having a phone seized by federal officials, a senior-level WWE executive and another personal friend told NBC News.
:snippity:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ww ... rcna136941
raison de arizona

These f$%kers just straight up bald face lie. It's really quite breathtaking. And astonishing. I hate alternative facts, they shouldn't be a thing.
https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/ ... 47603?s=20
Mehdi Hasan @mehdirhasan wrote: A straight-up brazen lie, which I am guessing he won’t even bother to correct or apologize for because facts don’t matter in the Fox Cinematic Universe.
Sen. James Lankford @SenatorLankford wrote: All of the 9/11 attackers were present in the US illegally. We shouldn’t wait until the next horrific terror attack to realize that our wide-open southern border is a national security risk.
Readers added context wrote: As the 9/11 Commission found, all of the hijackers entered the country legally on nonimmigrant tourist or student visas. Many hijackers, including the pilots, remained in the country legally on nonimmigrant visas until the attack.

https://www.9-11commission.gov/staff_st ... av_Ch1.pdf
Senator James Lankford, you sir are a liar and an asshole and don't deserve to be U.S. Senator.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:23 pm These f$%kers just straight up bald face lie. It's really quite breathtaking. And astonishing. I hate alternative facts, they shouldn't be a thing.
Mehdi Hasan @mehdirhasan wrote: A straight-up brazen lie, which I am guessing he won’t even bother to correct or apologize for because facts don’t matter in the Fox Cinematic Universe.
This is, in fact, exactly why when I first *heard* the term 'Fox Cinematic Universe' I immediately corrected it to faux-French as 'Fox Univers Cinematique' just so I could abbreviate it as FUC and refer to its adherents a certain way.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:36 am
raison de arizona wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:23 pm These f$%kers just straight up bald face lie. It's really quite breathtaking. And astonishing. I hate alternative facts, they shouldn't be a thing.
This is, in fact, exactly why when I first *heard* the term 'Fox Cinematic Universe' I immediately corrected it to faux-French as 'Fox Univers Cinematique' just so I could abbreviate it as FUC and refer to its adherents a certain way.
Shouldn't that be "Faux Univers Cinematique"?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

keith wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:36 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:36 am
Shouldn't that be "Faux Univers Cinematique"?
It should be but I didn't want to multi-layer the pun. :)
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

That’s the whole point of HAVING cake, EATING it. Why would I want a cake that I can’t eat?
The Intellectualist @highbrow_nobrow wrote: REPORTER: "You would be okay with the Supreme Court leaving the issue of interracial marriage to the states?"

SEN. MIKE BRAUN (R-IN): "Yes. If you are not wanting SCOTUS to weigh in on issues like that, you’re not going to have your cake and eat it too."
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

As a kid I wondered about that apparently absurd proverb but I guessed its interpretation was (in modern English) more like you can't keep your cake and eat it, meaning you must make the choice, or perhaps that the relevant option can only be exercised once. That is, "have" has a sense of possess, own, retain.
Off Topic
Also as a kid, my interpretation of the proverb "a friend in need is a friend indeed" was that it was a nugget of cynical advice, meaning that someone who wants something will pretend to be a good friend so you will give them what they desire. So its warning is to be wary of people pretending to be friendly just because they want something.

Only later did I appreciate from context that the preferred (more generous) interpretation was that if you are in a mess and someone steps in to help, that person is a proper friend, to be cherished.

Proverbs aren't always clear and unambiguous.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

What is the interracial marriage issue? Is that a thing?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:57 am What is the interracial marriage issue? Is that a thing?
IIRC, Braun made that comment in 2022, and trying to basically support the repeal by saying that Loving was also judicial activism and it is all states rights.

Whether he was against interracial marriage, I do not know for certain, but he stupidly thinks that SCOTUS has no business protecting the Constitutional rights of Americans and states can do whatever they want, as long as long as him and his world agree with it.
101010 :towel:
June bug

Post by June bug »

Loving v. Virginia. SCOTUS outlawed Virginia’s ban on inter-racial marriages in 1967.

In Thomas’s Dobbs opinion, he called into question the constitutionality of previous SCOTUS decisions allowing gay marriage and contraception. Notably he did not include the Loving decision, but there’s been a lot of right wing discussion of that as well since Dobbs.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:19 am As a kid I wondered about that apparently absurd proverb but I guessed its interpretation was (in modern English) more like you can't keep your cake and eat it, meaning you must make the choice, or perhaps that the relevant option can only be exercised once. That is, "have" has a sense of possess, own, retain.
:snippity:
If I recall correctly the proper quote is "You can't eat your cake, and have it too", fun fact the use of the proper quote is one of the things that caused the Unibomber's brother to realize that the manifesto was written by his brother...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”