Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Report Problems/Questions Here

We listen to your suggestions, honest we do! Well, sometimes.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I do not see the problem, as described, anywhere.

However: I periodically (maybe once a month?) get AVG Tuneup utility to clean up caches and tracking cookies and other stuff it does. When I do so I am required to sign on to most sites where I have set it to 'remember me', including Fogbow. I have tried to narrow the clean-up to not delete this information, but I haven't found which settings to 'hide'. One day I'll ask AVG if they can identify where the info is stored to prevent zapping it or setting the AVG cleaner to ignore it.

ETA: AVG only cleans up this stuff when I tell it to, but it might be possible to set to do it automagically. There are other clean-up utilities of course which will have their own quirks, and also if you operate in a PRIVATE WINDOW, the 'remember me' cookies may be wiped automatically also.

Windows 11 -> Chrome (normally); Firefox (sometimes); Opera (hardly ever)
Android 12 -> Samsung Tablet: Chrome
Android 12 -> Samsung Phone: Chrome
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I'm not seeing tweets where someone has just posted the link anymore. All I see is a white box with "Tweet is loading" on it, but it never does. I dunno if this is a bug on my end or a new feature Twitter has enacted to improve my experience.
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I am using Google Chrome on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7, and to clear your browsing data, you:
  • Tap [the vertical ellipsis] and then Settings.
  • Tap Privacy and security and then Clear browsing data.
  • Choose a time range, like Last hour or All time.
  • Select the types of information you want to remove.
  • Tap Clear data.
This is not difficult information to find on any device or browser. Yes, you will have to log in again to all your websites.
Edit: I am now on my old HP Envy desktop, using Windows 10 and Firefox. The instructions are pretty much the same:
  • Click the hamburger (three lines instead of the vertical ellipsis) and select Settings.
  • Click Privacy and Security from the menu.
  • Scroll down to Cookies and Site Data.
  • Click the "Clear Data" button.
There's even an option to select Clear data when Firefox exits, in other words, every time you close Firefox.
Edit: According to the poll, two people are having the problem, and everyone else is not. The Board Index says there were 88 members who did successfully log in over the past 24 hours. Some of them even took the time to answer "no" to the poll. Sorry, you have to have at least two choices in a poll. :blackeye:

And my seed - the one requesting information about the "Remember me" login keys - fell upon a stony place, where it had not much earth ... and because it had no root, it withered away. (Matthew 13:5-6, KJV)

There ya go - gettin' biblical on a Tuesday.

But the good news is, I only have to go to two people's homes to fix the problem. Road trip! :thumbsup:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
realist

Post by realist »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:29 pm Hokay, I am thinking about asking phpBB tech support, but I have one question before I do, and that's the "Remember Me" login keys.

They are found at:

User Control Panel - - > Profile tab - - > Manage “Remember Me” login keys

I don't fully understand how they work, or if this can help, but see if you have them. If you do, try deleting them and then try to log in again.

For those who are having this problem, the more I can find that you have in common, the easier it might be to narrow down the cause. What's going on with your Manage “Remember Me” login keys?
The "Remember Me" login keys automatically log you in when you visit the board. If you logout, the remember me login key is deleted only on the computer you are using to logout. Here you can see remember login keys created on other computers you used to access this site.
Maybe they can get overloaded or something.
Did the above re remember me. Logged out, twice, and both times logging back in was automatic, as it had been in the last, and have not been logged out since (about an hour).
Image X 4
Image X 32
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Cool. 8-)

Now we just gotta get Phoenix520 done, and we're back to where we should be, I think. :thumbsup:
Edit: I access Fogbow from so many different devices and browsers, I wonder if I am ever totally disconnected. :? :lol:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

After review, and consultation with my staff, I have a totally new problem, which is, I am clearly not living in the American Southwest.

Reminder to self: Discuss with ol' Wifehorn.

desert2.png

Or the future.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm running up-to-date Firefox on a new Dell laptop, Windows 11, and have been having problems for about two weeks. I get the same message as others. I was going to send an email that said I wanted to change my password. Thought that would give me a fresh start. My email wasn't recognized. I got on this morning with just one or two clicks, but it has taken as long as about a dozen.

I went on an iPhone 11 yesterday, and had no problem.

Tweets are also not showing up for me again. I had a lot of problems with that on Fogbow 1.0, but have rarely had it happen here.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:04 am I get the same message as others.
I think you need to clear your cookies, especially with a new computer that's still adjusting to the Intarwebz.
I was going to send an email that said I wanted to change my password. Thought that would give me a fresh start. My email wasn't recognized.
I'm not sure what this means. You can't send email through the forum, but plenty of people manage to change their passwords without emailing anybody. If you need to email me, foggy@thefogbow.com (I am terrible about reading my email, you've been warned).
Tweets are also not showing up for me again. I had a lot of problems with that on Fogbow 1.0, but have rarely had it happen here.
I can't mess with the extensions. I didn't write them. :shrug:

Or the future.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:11 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:04 am I get the same message as others.
I think you need to clear your cookies, especially with a new computer that's still adjusting to the Intarwebz.
I was going to send an email that said I wanted to change my password. Thought that would give me a fresh start. My email wasn't recognized.
I'm not sure what this means. You can't send email through the forum, but plenty of people manage to change their passwords without emailing anybody. If you need to email me, foggy@thefogbow.com (I am terrible about reading my email, you've been warned).
I can't mess with the extensions. I didn't write them. :shrug:
Thanks. I'll clear the cookies. The point about the email was just that it wasn't recognized. Lack of tweets: no big deal. In my experience (and I've had of lot with tweets disappearing), they always return eventually.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
realist

Post by realist »

Dealing with the "remember me" as I posted above worked great on my iPhone, Safari's latest version, but I'm continuing to be locked out on my computer, Windows 10, Firefox latest version.
Image X 4
Image X 32
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Regarding issues seeing 'Twitter' links in the forums: Twitter is blocking some APIs that third parties use to access twitter content. This could be part of the problem.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Cleared the cookies, did the remember me thing in control panel, took a shower, logged out and back in no problems. If it holds all day I will consider it fixed.

THANK YOU

Now I don’t have to go mad.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:06 pm Now I don’t have to go mad.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, young lady. :lol:

Or the future.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Just FYI I'm using Google Chrome on. Samsung Galaxy Tab S7. If I've had to clear my cache, when I first come back here, I'll have 2 or 3 incidents of being logged out and having to log back in (clicking "Remember Me" each time.) After that. I stay logged in just fine. It just takes a few tries before it gets locked in, I guess. At least for me 😊
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Clearing cookies seems to have helped. :thumbsup:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

I didn't see this until today, the 18th, but yesterday I found myself logged out of Food on one tab, but still logged in on another tab of my tablet. After scratching my head, I closed the tab where I was logged out, and discovered that the other tab did not have me logged out and I was good to go.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Oh dear, Boss. It looks like my personal thread was inadvertently locked somehow. Do I create a 2.0 version?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Unlocked.

Or the future.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

FYI... there are two different 'Recipe' threads in General Stuff.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Not any more. 8-)
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I may be confuzzled but I thought there was an option to reply to a post without quoting but I see only the ! and the " as options on all the threads. I went to another board I'm a member of and see the same thing. I could have sworn there was a reply and one other option.
Edit:
2023-02-04 09.21.33.png
2023-02-04 09.21.33.png (34.83 KiB) Viewed 405 times
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

The Post Reply button is towards the bottom on the left below the most recent post.
Attachments
fbreply.jpg
fbreply.jpg (256.46 KiB) Viewed 408 times
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:37 am The Post Reply button is towards the bottom on the left below the most recent post.
Like I said, I may be confused (happening a lot lately) but I thought it used to be in the one you were replying to. :shrug:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:46 am
bill_g wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:37 am The Post Reply button is towards the bottom on the left below the most recent post.
Like I said, I may be confused (happening a lot lately) but I thought it used to be in the one you were replying to. :shrug:
I think you're right. My muscle memory keeps reaching for a button that isn't there, but I suffer CRS. So, I go with the flow.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

bill_g wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:00 am :snippity:
I think you're right. My muscle memory keeps reaching for a button that isn't there, but I suffer CRS. So, I go with the flow.
I prefer using the quote button if I am replying to a specific post. I also cut out everything except the last quote unless there is a need to leave the text. Have you ever seen the same Tweet repeated 5 or 6 times? Using the quote button also provides a link back to the quoted post. In some cases it could be several pages back.

If I am not replaying to a specific post then I use "Reply". That's just my preferences. Your views may vary and be just as correct.

Return to “Questions and Suggestions”