Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Report Problems/Questions Here

We listen to your suggestions, honest we do! Well, sometimes.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Report Problems/Questions Here

Post by Foggy »

Here's something you can try, this comes with a 100% GUARANTEE that whatever you do, you won't damage any of my computers. I know how much that means to you.

So go to User Control Panel --> Profile tab, and find the link for "Manage 'Remember Me' login keys".

It's there, at the bottom.

Here's what it says, but with better formatting:
The "Remember Me" login keys automatically log you in when you visit the board.
OK, so they're like cookies, I think. I have about 40 of these on the list. But if these are causing a problem, like if there are way too many of them or if some are corrupted or sumpin' (?), you could try going in and deleting them all. That would mean 1) at first, you'd have to log in again to set another "Remember Me" login key, but 2) your machine might remember the key better if there's only one, or a few. Remember that every time you use a different machine, if you log in you are setting another "Remember Me" login key. The key is assigned to your account, so when you visit Fogbow with any particular machine it checks to see if you have a "Remember Me" key for that machine.

Anyway, it goes on:
If you logout, the remember me login key is deleted only on the computer you are using to logout.
I never log out, unless I'm testing something. I'm done with the forum on one computer? I close the browser. Maybe that's why I have about 40 of the damn things, I never log out so the key is never deleted on my local machine. On the bright side, if the key is there for my Linux laptop, say, then when I turn on a browser on my Linux machine I'm automagically logged into Fogbow.

And finally:
Here you can see remember login keys created on other computers you used to access this site.

Yeah, it actually says "see remember". They might have missed a forward slash, I dunno.

Anyway, you might try deleting all those "Remember Me" login keys. I do that every so often, but I have a password management program to log me right back in, which I assume generates a new set of keys.

:shrug:
Edit: To make sure you set new "Remember Me" keys, check the box that says "Remember Me" when you log in.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

To test the above:

1) I deleted all my "Remember Me" login keys

2) I logged out

1) I logged in again ( :whisper: numbering starts at 1 again after you log out, of course)

2) I went back to my UCP and there was a brand spankin' new "Remember Me" login key from this, my Linux machine.

As a Network Administrator and Forum Administrator and Court of Bun-Dogs Administrator and Ordained Minister and Inmate of the Month and Liberal Knee-Jerk Urban Weenie and Dick Tater and Boss of You and so on, I ASSURE YOU WITH UTTER CONFIDENCE that I have NO IDEA IN THE WORLD if this is going to help you or not. I'm just sayin', it's something you can try without breaking your account.
:thumbsup: :popcorn:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Good morning, and thank you for the new buttons Foggy.
My appreciation is shown in the donation jar.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Cool feature with the "remember me" logon keys. Is this feature new? I notice I had them going back over a year. Some of the early ones show private IP addresses (like 192.143.xx.xxx). Wonder what gives with that? Most show my public IP from where I happened to be at the time.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Appreciated, and good morning to you. :biggrin:

Yeah, this was an unusual update, a little more difficult than normal. First, there was the problem that apparently I blinked and missed a faulty upgrade, which is actually a good thing of course, but then there was some pressure to install the emergency upgrade that fixed the faulty upgrade, but I couldn't do it in Bathysphere or wherever it is, I needed to drive home.

Second, they usually provide an Automatic Update package. You download that, unzip it and upload it to your own server, it gets a little complex from there, but it works. This time, no Automatic Update, they made you do a "full install update" where you delete almost all of your files so the site becomes totally unusable and then upload a fresh copy of the latest full version of the software, and ... it's a little hairy to destroy your entire website and then rebuild it and hope it fires up when you're done.

But it did. And I could always have restored it to where it was before if it didn't, 'cause I do good backup.

I haven't noticed anything particularly different about the new version so far, but it seems to be working fairly fast.

'Course, this means new updates to board styles and extensions, eventually. I'll keep an eye out for those. :oldman:
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Foggy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:47 am Appreciated, and good morning to you. :biggrin:
:snippity:
Good morning. That process sounds scary.
June bug

Post by June bug »

I don’t have Active Topics at the bottom on my iPhone anymore. I saw how to fix that on my PC and will try that, but how do I fix it on my phone?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Which board style are you using, June bug?
Edit: Ack, I didn't even see we lost the logo on prosilver. I'll get to that later.
June bug

Post by June bug »

Foggy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:27 pm Which board style are you using, June bug?
Edit: Ack, I didn't even see we lost the logo on prosilver. I'll get to that later.
June bug

Post by June bug »

June bug wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:37 pm
Foggy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:27 pm Which board style are you using, June bug?
Prosilver, kindly dicktater.
June bug

Post by June bug »

I don’t know how to force refresh on my iPhone.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

It's just that on phones there isn't enough room for both, so it forces a hamburger menu. It's counterintuitive & a bit of a pain, but ultimately only one extra click.
Estiveoshot_20220322_110128.jpg
Image Image Image Image
June bug

Post by June bug »

It works!! THANKS, Estiveo!
:notworthy1: :notworthy1:
June bug

Post by June bug »

And MUCH easier than going back to the top to do it!
:blissy:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

When I was growing up, none of my toys had "the hamburger". :(
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Oddly, I don't recall losing the Active topics Graandnew at all. Granted, I was not using my laptop yesterday, only an Android phone (not feeling well so any reading was done while lying on a couch) so I would normally have to look in the Hamburger menu anyway. It was automatically on the top one (though now there is a second one on top) but I don't recall losing it on the lower one. Maybe it was fixed before I had a chance to notice, or something.
101010 :towel:
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

it was the lack of the "s" in the http. My phone shows the address weird, so had to back out and re-enter it manually so that it would go to it. All good now. Entirely user error.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

My problem is everything works fine but I don't speak computer lingo like "ProSilver" or "Creamy". I lie awake at night wondering if I am missing an existential experience. :confuzzled:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Computer people don't understand computer lingo either. They just use it to make other people feel inferior. They just use fancy terms like dongle, thumb drive, and insert it into the port, so they can talk naughty and not get in trouble with HR.
101010 :towel:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

shhhh!
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

northland10 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:13 am Computer people don't understand computer lingo either. They just use it to make other people feel inferior. They just use fancy terms like dongle, thumb drive, and insert it into the port, so they can talk naughty and not get in trouble with HR.
From personal experience in the late '70s or early '80s 'dongle' could get you a trip to HR (then personnel) for 'sensitivity training'. And don't even think of telling someone they could fix a connectivity issue by using a 'gender bender'.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I will NOT say "insert it into the port" or even mention the word "dongle" around Hubby. He may be 72 chronologically, but his brain got stuck on 25 sexually. :rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

But then you can get into the whole idea of cords having male connectors and female connectors. Never heard of that until my adult life.

Edited to add - See additional information here: Gender of connectors and fasteners
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:11 am I will NOT say "insert it into the port" or even mention the word "dongle" around Hubby. He may be 72 chronologically, but his brain got stuck on 25 sexually. :rotflmao:
You, too, huh? :lol:

I also thought some of my cohort would have grown up a little by now. Half the time when I’m asked my age and I tell them “69”, they snicker. :roll:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:13 pm
I also thought some of my cohort would have grown up a little by now. Half the time when I’m asked my age and I tell them “69”, they snicker. :roll:
I think about that when I pass the exit for the city my folks lived in. Northfield, MN is home to St. Olaf College and Carlton College (both, especially Carlton, fairly liberal). The exit for the two college city: Exit 69.

Return to “Questions and Suggestions”