Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Report Problems/Questions Here

We listen to your suggestions, honest we do! Well, sometimes.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Today I can work on this.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I started with the easy one:
Suranis wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:54 pm Just a minor thong but I've noticed there are 2 "Today in History" threads. A Small one here https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... tory#p5973 and the much bigger one here. https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... tory#p4591

They probably could do with being merged
Merged. Moving on ...
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I think I got this done, but HexagonReborn is tricky, so check it out and tell me what you see.
Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:28 pm If 'n ya has time, I'd love to have the Unread posts thingy back at the top of my pages. I think I'm on the Horizon theme, or sumthin' like that - I knows it starts with an "H". Could you be nice to sweet old lady Valkyrie an' fix it up, purty-like?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

... and now my arms hurt. I can only spend a half hour at the computer any more, then I have to rest.

Resting. :mad:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:50 pm ... and now my arms hurt. I can only spend a half hour at the computer any more, then I have to rest.

Resting. :mad:
Yeah, but you should be on your knees drinking chocolate, sacrificing children, and praying to the god Techuhelpme. That's how the incanet works.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

keith wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:21 am OK, more grist for the mill. I don't think its worth much of your time trying to 'fix' this, cause I doubt there is a fix.
:snippity:
How to replicate on desktop machine:
No, that's exactly how it's designed to work, and it's a huge part of web design now - responsive design. Which means all kinds of things change, not just menus, when the screen width changes. That's not one I should mess with, I mean, you can fiddle with what screen size triggers what behavior, and what the behavior is when you increase or decrease the size of the screen by one more pixel, but if you get it just right for one person, the next user starts in to hollerin'.

I can't design a board style to fit any particular device. I gotta leave that alone.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:32 pm
keith wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:21 am OK, more grist for the mill. I don't think its worth much of your time trying to 'fix' this, cause I doubt there is a fix.
How to replicate on desktop machine:
No, that's exactly how it's designed to work, and it's a huge part of web design now - responsive design. Which means all kinds of things change, not just menus, when the screen width changes. That's not one I should mess with, I mean, you can fiddle with what screen size triggers what behavior, and what the behavior is when you increase or decrease the size of the screen by one more pixel, but if you get it just right for one person, the next user starts in to hollerin'.

I can't design a board style to fit any particular device. I gotta leave that alone.
I'm sorry, but we will just have to remain in violent AGREEMENT.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:48 pm I think I got this done, but HexagonReborn is tricky, so check it out and tell me what you see.
Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:28 pm If 'n ya has time, I'd love to have the Unread posts thingy back at the top of my pages. I think I'm on the Horizon theme, or sumthin' like that - I knows it starts with an "H". Could you be nice to sweet old lady Valkyrie an' fix it up, purty-like?
Ya fixed it - thanks!
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Whenever I look through emojis on my phone (Messanger) or Microsoft Teams, they are not as good as the smilies here.

Fogbow has way better smilies than Messenger and Teams. I have a sad when I want to use :thumbsup: :roll: :confuzzled: :doh: or :bag:, among others.
101010 :towel:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

This is RIDICULOUS.

I WAS LOGGED OUT 3 times just looking for this thread. All tolled I’ve been logged out 15 times in the last couple of hours.

It’s my browser, you say? Then why is it happening to so many others too? And how do I fix this? I can’t find a solution and I will go mad if I have to live with this daily.

It’s meteorologically absurd, foogie!!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Same problem for about two weeks now.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I think I may have been logged out once in the past two weeks. It's not an issue for me. For Foggy to troubleshoot, he needs to know more about the problem.

I am running Safari on my iPhone, iPad Mini, and iPad with all the latest updates. No problem.

I am also running Windows 11 on my new laptop and I access Fogbow using Firefox. Again, no problem.

If you are having problems, what is your operating system and your web browser?

When you access Fogbow, are you using a link which starts with https: // thefogbow . com/forum/ ? (Spaces added just so it shows as text, not a link.)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, I understand frustration. I get frustrated.

But the rule is, if the same thing is happening to everybody on the forum, then it is a problem I can fix, sitting right here in my chair.

However!

If it's just happening to you, then I need to come over to your place to fix it. Which would cost money.

HOWEVER SOME MORE!

There are lots of tech savvy people here who are usually willing to help you!

But the help here requires information, and "I'm REALLY frustrated!" is not great information.

If you REALLY want help, it would be great if you can provide:
  • the device and operating system you are using, and
  • the browser you are using, and
  • the actual text of any error messages you are getting, and
  • anything else that might help solve the problem.
Because if people have to guess what browser or what error message you are getting, you are pretty much guaranteed to get BAD ADVICE.

But if you help the techies, they will generally help you.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

MacOS will take you to sites before you get a chance to check the "stay/keep signed in" box. If I don't check it before the username/password info is entered, I'll keep getting signed out.

That's all I know.
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

I was having this problem on the other board, and it turned out it was my bookmarks. Once I edited them I was fine. So maybe it's the URL address(s):

Code: Select all

Before:
http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=98
After:
https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=98
realist

Post by realist »

Mrich wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:29 pm I was having this problem on the other board, and it turned out it was my bookmarks. Once I edited them I was fine. So maybe it's the URL address(s):

Before:
After:
Am using the https login.
The logging me out has been going on for a couple of weeks or more. Even clicking on a new thread and I'll get logged out.
Same system and browser long term:
Windows 10
Firefox latest version
I thought it must be just me so didn't say anything but it appears there's others as well.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Hokay, I am thinking about asking phpBB tech support, but I have one question before I do, and that's the "Remember Me" login keys.

They are found at:

User Control Panel - - > Profile tab - - > Manage “Remember Me” login keys

I don't fully understand how they work, or if this can help, but see if you have them. If you do, try deleting them and then try to log in again.

For those who are having this problem, the more I can find that you have in common, the easier it might be to narrow down the cause. What's going on with your Manage “Remember Me” login keys?
The "Remember Me" login keys automatically log you in when you visit the board. If you logout, the remember me login key is deleted only on the computer you are using to logout. Here you can see remember login keys created on other computers you used to access this site.
Maybe they can get overloaded or something.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Also, in order to find out how many people are having the same problem, I'm going to add a poll to the topic. Please vote if you are being logged out excessively often.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

realist wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:45 pm
Mrich wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:29 pm I was having this problem on the other board, and it turned out it was my bookmarks. Once I edited them I was fine. So maybe it's the URL address(s):

Before:
After:
Am using the https login.
The logging me out has been going on for a couple of weeks or more. Even clicking on a new thread and I'll get logged out.
Same system and browser long term:
Windows 10
Firefox latest version
I thought it must be just me so didn't say anything but it appears there's others as well.
I'm using Windows 11 with the latest Firefox and having no problems. Could it be an Firefox extension? Try using Firefox in safe mode and see if you have the same problem. To start Firefox in safe mode - which disables all extensions - hold down the Shift key when you start Firefox.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’m on safari on both iPhone and iPad. “The submitted form is invalid. Try again”. Each time I have to log in 4 times, it always works on the 4th. Ill check my bookmarks, but this just started happening in the last week or so and I haven’t added or changed anything there.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:48 pm I’m on safari on both iPhone and iPad. “The submitted form is invalid. Try again”. Each time I have to log in 4 times, it always works on the 4th. Ill check my bookmarks, but this just started happening in the last week or so and I haven’t added or changed anything there.
iOS 16.2 ?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

No, and I’m not sure why not. I have 15.6.2, and automatic updates checked.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:13 pm No, and I’m not sure why not. I have 15.6.2, and automatic updates checked.
16 was a more major update. I don’t think Apple used the automatic update for that.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

We've been through this before.

Unless something has drastically changed, "The submitted form is invalid" means clear your cookies.

Return to “Questions and Suggestions”