Report Problems/Questions Here

We listen to your suggestions, honest we do! Well, sometimes.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

If all of Foggy's websites on his virtual server are running slowly that sure points towards something other than phpBB or software used to run the Fogbow. Could it be another site is misbehaving and loading down a CPU or disk drive access on a random basis? I assume the MySQL and AlmaLinux upgrades involve the entire server and not just the Fogbow?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

@Foggy

the search is broken - totally unusable to locate threads to post correctly
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: hijack thread this.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

My experience is that the site works fast in the 4am eastern USA time. Nobody on other than bots slow crawling. So then, set your alarm clocks and get out of bed early.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:39 am My experience is that the site works fast in the 4am eastern USA time. Nobody on other than bots slow crawling. So then, set your alarm clocks and get out of bed early.
263 users on the board right now and it's working fine for me.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:39 am
neonzx wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:39 am My experience is that the site works fast in the 4am eastern USA time. Nobody on other than bots slow crawling. So then, set your alarm clocks and get out of bed early.
263 users on the board right now and it's working fine for me.
It's kind of alternating between fine and screwy for me this morning.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

81 users online and it's like molasses now.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
Tomorrow morning I'm going to reinstall the whole forum. Maybe that will help. However, we will lose all the custom Fogbow features and the official response to complaints about that will be :notlistening:

You don't have to tell me when it's fast or slow. I use it too also. I can't think of anything else to do. We are waiting for the upgrade to AlmaLinux.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

It's intermittent and at first happened suddenly, so I suspect a hardware problem that's beyond anything you can do. For the past few days, it's been working (for me) 90 percent of the time. Shouldn't have to stress over it.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh, no, I definitely need to stress about it. Yesterday my wife told me our business website isn't coming up. At this point, stress is mandatory. :blackeye:

But since I don't seem to be able to fix it, and none of the support techs have any clue except upgrade to AlmaLinux, so they aren't able to fix it, it develops that stressing about it is apparently the single most important, useful, and reliable thing I can do.

Oh, and I'm also stressing about not being able to do drywall repair and interior painting, on account of how I got winged.

And I'm stressing about driving up to my dad's, which we ARE going to do, but ol' Wifehorn might have to do some more driving, on account of how I got winged some more. That will be 3 weeks and 3 days after the revision surgery, and I should be able to drive. The wound itself is looking good.

So ... I stress, therefore I am stressy. :whistle:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Business site-not good.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, but it's really just slow coming up.

OK, really, really slow. :roll:

And you gotta remember, we're finally at the point in our business where we're not really looking to expand. We're not marketing the business, but we still have plenty of new clients every year because of foursomes on the golf course and hairdressers and stuff. Any time one of ol' Wifehorn's clients starts talking about her, she usually gets a phone call pretty quickly thereafter. Word of mouth is a powerful drug.

Still, yeah, it looks unprofessional if you try to visit the site and it takes way too long. Gotta fix that.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

FWIIW my now dormant weather page on IMH has been running fine. It has a small database though. I mostly use the account for email
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

This couch warrior has a new theory:

Foggy's virtual server VPS is running on an overloaded real machine. My hunch is that when his / our troubles started a few weeks back that the hosting company allocated or relocated another VPS with high usage to the same real machine. Or the hosting tweaked alloted use of resources in favour of this competing VPS.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

If so, they done tole me about a million fibs. :liar:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

This thread is for forum administration, so please don't post anything except legitimate problems or questions about the forum, so I can deal with them (if possible).
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

While waiting for the upgrade to AlmaLinux, I at least updated our MySQL installation. Might help, might not. We'll see. :biggrin:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I'm trying to work on this thing when I can. Y'all know, I can't sleep in the damned recliner chair, and I have been forced to try to sleep in it for months now. So I struggle and try various different combinations of pills, and at 2 or 3 in the morning I give up and move to the actual bed for an hour or two, and so I haven't slept enough to be able to think clearly. For weeks and weeks and weeks. Plus I'm having stomach issues, which don't help, but the gastro lady hasn't found a cause yet. Last night I got maybe 2 hours sleep.

Anyway, I'm on a permanent, deep, wretched sleep deficit, and it's taking its toll on me mentally.

So bear with me, I'll work on it until it's fixed. This week and next I don't have much going on except health and renewal.

But I have to at least try to sleep in the damned recliner for another three weeks minimum. That's doctor's orders. :lol:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

;) you may also run the latest and cosy updates on your recliner ...
► Show Spoiler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Feedback: the TFB site is running very satisfactory for me over the last 24 hours or soo.

Makes one go --- hmmmmmmmmmmmmm :confuzzled:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:07 am Feedback: the TFB site is running very satisfactory for me over the last 24 hours or soo.

Makes one go --- hmmmmmmmmmmmmm :confuzzled:
Yeah, but we were there a week and a half ago. But no explainer of what was fixed or not fixed. Then it broke again. So...
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

that's why i report the status. maybe the FogMaster can make the fog lift. maybe confer with tech support and get to hear what chang3d on the physical server side.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

ETA: I apologize for making a joke here, it wasn't right and I've removed it. I truly appreciate everything Foggy is doing to help my favorite forum and the only one I post on. For what it's worth, at 2pm EDT Aug 22, it's working really well. Sorry again, was just trying to lighten things up a bit. ### :bighug:
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:29 am that's why i report the status. maybe the FogMaster can make the fog lift. maybe confer with tech support and get to hear what chang3d on the physical server side.
Tech support seems to be almost useless at InSloMotion hosting. They are giving him canned responses of "you have out dated software" or he needs to upgrade to a newer Linux version. THAT IS ALL BS. I think now they know the root cause, but will not tell him.

I am sure there are several tech heads here have certain tools or programs that are only compatible with legacy OS systems and hardware. When you have a system that works, we don't d*ck with them.

That this broke is the hosts failure, not anything Foggy did. FOGGY DID NOTHING WRONG. (chime in Roger Stone).

We will get through it.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

C'mon folks, control yourselves please.

This is for reporting problems.

Extraneous commentary can go in the thread here=>

"Support Foggy, put commentary here, & leave the Report Problems thread for reporting problems".
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

keith wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:12 am C'mon folks, control yourselves please.

This is for reporting problems.

Extraneous commentary can go in the thread here=>

"Support Foggy, put commentary here, & leave the Report Problems thread for reporting problems".
Why? Are you speaking of my comments? These are specific about the problems at the hosting -- technical. How can we help fix it.. ?

Return to “Questions and Suggestions”