Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Report Problems/Questions Here

We listen to your suggestions, honest we do! Well, sometimes.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, yeah. These are the things that get lost when I update the site to the latest and greatest version of the software that runs this joint.

I do have to keep the site updated, which plugs ( :pray:) any security holes in the code. We hope.

But it is a little hairy. I have to get up at 5:30 a.m. to shut down the board at 6, and then I have to back everything up and somehow get enough covfefe in me to follow the instructions to the letter, or when I'm all done I don't have a forum.

Now, I did it all correctly this morning and we are updated to version 3.3.10. It doesn't get any better than that. But when I was done 1) I was tired from force of concentration, and 2) I had a doctor's appointment for a cortisone shot in my shoulder this morning, from which I am now returned.

And my shoulder hurts, and I still need moar covfefe, and I will get to those things like links and logos.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
If you are using prosilver or some of the derivatives, I have now fixed the logo and the custom links at top and bottom of every page.

I hate to admit this, because y'all know I am secretly Superman, but I can only work about 15 minutes on my computer at a time now, due to my shoulder pain. And the logo was a little tricky, because the bastids at phpBB insist on using one a them tricky *.svg graphics, and I have to not only substitute it with a good ol' red-blooded American *.png, I have to coach the code to display the *.png and not the stupid *.svg, which would be really useful if I wanted to blow up somebody else's logo big enough to cover the word Trump on his 757.

But I don't.

Anyway, I'm on a break, I'll work on the other styles later. Why do I have to maintain so many different styles, anyway?

Oh yeah, because I love y'all and want you to be happy. :liar:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Thanks Foogy! I noticed the return of my beloved Active Topics link, saves a couple of clicks. :notworthy: Yer the bestest Dick Tater evuh. I mean, evuh.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Well, I have to take care of my Florida peeps, because I haven't seen a lot of whining, but I know Ian is still a problem.

Not even to mention Slim's husband. I'm very aware that life in Florida is not a lot of fun for some people right now.

Edit: Getting ready to see the doctor on this glorious February morn, I was in pain taking a shower, and I was in pain putting clothes on after the shower, and everything hurts all the time, and it's very depressing. On the bright side, I kept telling myself that things are going to get a lot worse before they get better, because I need two surgeries to fix my shoulders this year. But they will get fixed, so I finished getting ready and went to the doctor anyway.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Now, THATS great customer service! I came over to this thread to whine and complain about unread and active being gone from my menu and by the time I got here it had been fixed! Wow! Foggy you are amazeballs!!
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Am I the only one who doesn’t bookmark active and unread (and subscribe to interesting topics)?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:06 pm Am I the only one who doesn’t bookmark active and unread (and subscribe to interesting topics)?
No. I don't either.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I was on sometime between 8 and 9 am this morning and all the custom links were still there. Foggy must like my GraandNew theme best.
101010 :towel:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:15 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:06 pm Am I the only one who doesn’t bookmark active and unread (and subscribe to interesting topics)?
No. I don't either.
DOES. I mean I DO bookmark and subscribe.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

No. I don't either.
He's just kidding, pipistrelle. Yes, you are the only one who does that. I don't subscribe to interesting topics, because there aren't any.

:boxing:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:23 pm
No. I don't either.
He's just kidding, pipistrelle. Yes, you are the only one who does that. I don't subscribe to interesting topics, because there aren't any.

:boxing:
Yeah, but caught me in a once-in-a-century mistake.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I wouldn't know how to bookmark or subscribe or any of that. I just around aimlessly. Read some of this and some of that. If I were to pick favorites, I like reading most about Ammo, MTG, Bobo, and lately Lost Lake.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Moving on, here's a list of all the board styles and which ones are already fixed.
  • GraandNew - as reported by N10, this seems to be fixed already
  • GreenStyle - links are fixed, logo still sucks, god I hate that logo, where's the frog?
  • GreenStyle - Split - links are broken top of page, logo still sucks
  • Hexagon Reborn - links are fixed, another horrible logo what were they thinking?
  • prosilver - the one that started it all, all fixed and good as new
  • Prosilver (Dark Edition) - links are fixed, logo not
  • prosilver Special Edition - links are fixed, logo not
  • ProsilverHiFiKabin - links are fixed, logo not
  • X-Creamy - everything on steamy-creamy-dreamy works perfectly, like anyone really cares
So there's the list. I may work on it someday. God I hate that Green Style logo, and also Hexagon Regurgitated
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:lol: I cares about Creamy, that's the one I use. :bighug:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

RVInit wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:02 pm :lol: I cares about Creamy, that's the one I use. :bighug:
Creamy is dreamy. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I was on earlier when the active and unread were missing, but I was out most of the day, and, clearly, when I got back on a bit ago, all is good!

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:41 pm
  • Hexagon Reborn - links are fixed, another horrible logo what were they thinking?
So there's the list. I may work on it someday. God I hate that Green Style logo, and also Hexagon Regurgitated
Yeah, that logo is pretty bad. Only thing about the theme I can't stand. Thanks for getting it's links unread and such links fixed so fast!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

If the board naturally uses svg, you could use gimp to make an svg version (I think) maybe. Then maybe not so hard to upgrade?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh sure, it wouldn't be hard at all, and I have all the tools to convert *.png to *.svg. I've been doing that since 2003.

But *.svg stands for Scalable Vector Graphics, and the beauty of vector graphics is exactly that - they're scalable up to infinity. You could print a banner with the phpBB logo so big you could put it on the Moon and be able to read it without binoculars, and it would be crisp and perfect.

However, I am only in negotiations to obtain naming rights for the Moon (I think Fogbow Moon has a nice ring, but then there's always Willow Moon ...), and until the deal is complete I can't put a logo on the Moon, or the side of a building, or a fleet of tractor-trailers, or billboards across this great nation, or any of that stuff. The only thing I need my logo for is my website, and I don't need anything scalable, because nobody's gonna scale it up to infinity or even close.

Why did they even make the phpBB logo an *.svg? Because *.svg is new and cool and trendy ... since 2003. :roll: :bored:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Yeah, but just because you CAN scale it up to moon size doesn't mean you HAVE to scale it up to moon size.

But if it means you can just point every page heading at the same image file and the darn thing will be automagically scaled to fit whatever space the template provides without further pain and suffering, isn't that a win for all and sundry?

I mean, you do you and all, but I'm lazy and it pains me to see other lazy potentially lazy people making hard graft out of something that could maybe made easier.

I think I get that from my system programming days when I was always automating operator tasks even without anybody complaining about the dumb things they had to do.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, but the last problem is, fogbows aren't really good for vector graphics, because they're not linear. But, umm ... yeah. Let me find a moment or two, and play around with a *.svg logo.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

*.svg's are good for users with monitors with large resolutions cause they scale better on the devices.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

neonzx wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:18 pm
RVInit wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:02 pm :lol: I cares about Creamy, that's the one I use. :bighug:
Creamy is dreamy. :thumbsup:
I'm on this one, and it looks A-OK, thx Foggy!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Vanilla creamer on the screen, who'd thought of that at Malheur ;) :twisted:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:51 pm *.svg's are good for users with monitors with large resolutions cause they scale better on the devices.
Oh, see ... I always thought that people didn't come here just to look at my beautiful logos. ;) :lol:

Return to “Questions and Suggestions”