Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

AGOTX - Warren Kenneth “Ken” Paxton Junior

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: AGOTX - Warren Kenneth “Ken” Paxton Junior

Post by raison de arizona »

Texas attorney general Ken Paxton says ‘overthrow’ put Joe Biden in White House instead of Trump
As chair of ‘Lawyers for Trump,’ Paxton asked U.S. Supreme Court to nullify Biden victories in four states.

Ken Paxton, the Texas attorney general who as chair of “Lawyers for Trump” tried to overturn Joe Biden’s election in court, said Thursday that he not only still believes Trump won but that Biden’s presidency amounts to an “overthrow.”

He made the comment in El Paso, during a visit to announce a lawsuit to force Biden to resume construction of the border wall Trump started.

A woman in the crowd asked Paxton how many Republican governors “are willing to stand up and proclaim that Trump did win the 2020 election? We have evidence.”

“We’re sick of the overthrow,” she said. “This has been an overthrow, and we expect actually all of you to stand up and proclaim this. With 50 Republican senators, well at least maybe 40 of them, it’s time to do that, take the bull by the horn. We won, we know that. This is an overthrow.”

“So, let me just say that I agree with you,” Paxton responded.

Referring to his counterpart from Missouri, Eric Schmitt, who joined him at the border, he added, “There’s no two AG’s that have done more on elections stuff.”
:snippity:
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politic ... -of-trump/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I love the narrative that democrats are the stupidest, most incompetent people on the planet, yet we overthrew the government AND managed to only get trump supporters arrested.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

And to think...this was the same crowd yelling at Clinton supporters 5 years ago "You lost, get over it!!!!!" :bored:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Texas and Missouri sue Federal Government, arguing that President Biden lacks authority to stop construction on Trump's border wall.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/21/politics ... index.html

One of their arguments is that, since Congress appropriated the money, the President MUST spend it as Congress intended.

It seems to me a little disingenuous, in light of Trump's diversion of moneys appropriated to the Department of Defense, to build his wall. I guess its okay for Republicans, especially Trump to ignore the will of Congress and the letter of the law, but not Biden.
tek

Post by tek »

"we're gonna go spend the money where Congress intended to spend it"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

IIRC the diverted funds have already been sent back to the proper agencies, especially the army.

There may also be some tricky language in the written decision (EO?) that speaks of "suspending* rather than "stoping" or "terminating" the wall building project. My further guess is that Biden is on the safe side to spend money that Congresss granted, not the extra funds that got shanghaied by the former impotus. Meaning mostly renewal of the most antique parts of the metal fencing.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:30 pm I love the narrative that democrats are the stupidest, most incompetent people on the planet, yet we overthrew the government AND managed to only get trump supporters arrested.
I think the narrative is supposed to be that democrats are stupid but are being manipulated by a certain ethnic group known for secretly undermining the world in hidden cabals.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I guess that's one way to get him out of Washington. :doh:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:53 pm I guess that's one way to get him out of Washington. :doh:
You post that as if it were a bad thing :shrug: :mrgreen:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

TX AG Ken Paxton says, “We’re done in Texas if anybody can vote.” He is outraged by new Ct of Appeals decision stripping him of authority to prosecute “voter fraud,” ruling it’s exclusively the job of local DAs. Since there is no appeal, all he can do now is ask for rehearing.
:roll:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

Since there is no appeal, all he can do now is ask for rehearing.
Texas has an unusual court system. In Texas, the Court of Criminal Appeals is the last stop (before SCOTUS); criminal cases in Texas can't be appealed to SCOTX.

I'm curious if the locals have an opinion on whether Paxton can jigger his way into a civil court (to try to get a different ruling).
Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:10 pm
TX AG Ken Paxton says, “We’re done in Texas if anybody can vote.” He is outraged by new Ct of Appeals decision stripping him of authority to prosecute “voter fraud,” ruling it’s exclusively the job of local DAs. Since there is no appeal, all he can do now is ask for rehearing.
:roll:

Saying the quiet part out loud again.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

After testing positive for covid, Texas Attorney General Paxton is said to be "very sick" #txlege https://t.co/6bIzqMBSKr
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Oh, you mean THIS GUY that was at tfg's superspreader event last weekend?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm thinkin' it and you can't stop me.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:31 pm I'm thinkin' it and you can't stop me.
:stamp: :popcorn:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Softly and tenderly

Herman is waiting

waiting to take you to hell
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Will Laura Ingraham clap for him?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

sad-cafe wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:07 pm Softly and tenderly

Herman is waiting

waiting to take you to hell
:lol:

And there's today's earworm.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Was it Paxton who said old people should take one for the team?
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:43 am Was it Paxton who said old people should take one for the team?
That was Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick. Who also got Covid.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Attorney General Ken Paxton defies county official’s order to release records related to Jan. 6 Trump rally

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/01/21 ... n-6-texas/
Attorney General Ken Paxton said the Travis County district attorney's determination that Paxton violated open records laws by withholding information related to his trip to Washington, D.C., on the day of the Capitol insurrection was "meritless" and that his office had fulfilled its obligation under the law.

Last week, the district attorney's office gave Paxton four business days to turn over communications requested by the state's leading newspapers relating to his trip or face a lawsuit.

On Friday, Austin Kinghorn, a lawyer for the attorney general's office, dismissed the district attorney's findings, saying that office had provided no provisions under the state's open records law that had been violated and implied that the newspapers had made the requests to publish stories about them.

"In each instance, complainants' allegations rely on unsupported assumptions and fundamental misunderstandings of the PIA [Public Information Act] and its requirements," Kinghorn wrote. "Frustrated that they have failed to uncover anything worth reporting following 'numerous open records requests to AG Paxton office for various documents,' complainant newspaper editors have sought to leverage your office's authority to further their fishing expedition, or worse, manufacture a conflict between our respective offices that will give rise to publishable content for the complainants' media outlets."
filly

Post by filly »

Time to get a mandatory injunction.

Now I'm contemplating voting in the GQP primary to vote for Eva Guzman who ain't great but is sane, competent and not (to my knowledge) a criminal.

Return to “Current Politics”