Democrats Behaving Badly

MN-Skeptic

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Bradley P. Moss
@BradMossEsq
As others have noted, Bowman was apparently not in the Capitol itself but in one of the House office buildings.

Even if that falls within the scope of a “Capitol building”, not sure how it would impede activities in an entirely separate building.
pipistrelle

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by pipistrelle »

If true, bad idea. But here’s a good summary:

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by Maybenaut »

You’d think an educator with over 20 years’ experience would know how to spell “hurtling.”
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
MN-Skeptic

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by MN-Skeptic »

For what it's worth -

For those without Twitter, it's Jamaal Bowman's statement re pulling the fire alarm. It's not text I can copy and paste.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by neonzx »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:35 pm For what it's worth -

For those without Twitter, it's Jamaal Bowman's statement re pulling the fire alarm. It's not text I can copy and paste.

I was going to speculate the same thing. The doors are likely mag-locked (the camera does not show the top of the doors where the maglocks are). Yeah, there is a breaker bar on the doors but it doesn't override the magnetic lock. If the alarm is tied in and was set off, the doors would have opened. STUPID on his part. :nope: :fingerwag: Be on time next time, sir!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by neonzx »

bob

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by bob »

The usual denizens on the bird site want Bowman charged with insurrection. :roll:

But others have noted they're conceding it is a crime to disrupt official proceedings. :thumbsup:
Image ImageImage
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by Maybenaut »

bob wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:28 pm The usual denizens on the bird site want Bowman charged with insurrection. :roll:

But others have noted they're conceding it is a crime to disrupt official proceedings. :thumbsup:
“They” are supposedly investigating. If after an investigation it turns out that Bowman’s claim about the locked door is not worthy of belief — that is, if the DOJ thinks he pulled the fire alarm to delay the vote — I’d be OK with an indictment.

I read on ersatz twitter that the statute about interfering with an official proceedings doesn’t apply to congresspeople. Sorry, that was yesterday and I no longer recall who made that claim. Anyhoo, the quoted language was something to the effect of, “This subsection does not apply to congresspeople in the lawful execution of their duties.” That’s not an exact quote, but the words lawful execution were in there. I don’t think interfering with an official proceeding can be described as the lawful execution of one’s duties. So I don’t think congresspeople are off the hook just because they’re congresspeople.

I really doubt anything serious is going to happen to Bowman, but sauce for the goose, and all….
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
DrIrvingFinegarten

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten »

[/quote]
Dang, is this high school? Those accidental fire alarm pulls happened on a regular basis. :roll:
[/quote]

During my sophomore year of high school, someone heard somewhere that if there were a certain number of fire alarms during the day, everyone would get to go home early.
As was usually the case with those kinds of rumors, it wasn’t true. The principal actually announced we’d still have to be there all day and have to make up the day at the end of the year. That didn’t stop whoever it was from pulling the fire alarm a dozen or so times.
Kendra

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by Kendra »

I watched a bit of Fox and Friends before I fell back asleep, they had some FL congressman whose name I don't recognize or remember. He had to bring up the obstruction of Congress bit (fair until proven otherwise) and called for him to resign or whatever (forgetting they didn't make Santos resign) and then hammered down on all the J6 defendants being in jail for the same thing, and gosh by golly, nobody was hurt during that protest. Did vile host Rachel Campos Duffy call him out on that piece of BS? Nooooooooooooooooooooo!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by bill_g »

I'm going to assume Bowman stuck around, and didn't scurry away to evade responsibility. He's on camera. He talked to Capitol Police. Sounds like he cooperated and confessed to his mistake.

Here's what I think happened. He wanted to quickly exit out doors that used to be unlocked. Now they are locked and alarmed. The sign says it's going to take over a half minute to automatically open the doors by pressing the bar. I think he got impatient and pulled the fire alarm thinking it would bypass the timer. Wrong. Busted. He's guilty of being late and in a hurry.

Somewhere in the Twitterverse are recent pictures of Bobo running up the Capital steps late for an important vote that she missed. I feel reasonable confident that if the same door were in her way on that day, she would make the same mistake. However, her accounting for her actions would be entirely different.
RVInit

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by RVInit »

Bowman voted yes on that bill. Had he voted no, the idea that he had been trying to disrupt the business of Congress would be at least plausible whether or not it was actually true.

But it doesn't pass the smell test that someone who wanted the bill to pass would, at the same time, try to prevent that bill from coming to the floor by pulling an alarm. Those allegations just don't make sense to me. I would give him the benefit of the doubt on this one, given the facts that have so far come to light.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... ent-egypt/
NEW YORK — Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) was charged in a superseding federal indictment on Thursday with conspiracy by a public official to act as a foreign agent, intensifying the legal peril facing the veteran lawmaker as he continues to resist calls to resign.
Sign up for Fact Checker, our weekly review of what's true, false or in-between in politics.

Federal prosecutors charged Menendez, 69, and his wife Nadine with bribery last month, alleging that they accepted cash and gifts totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars in exchange for attempting to assist the Egyptian government.

Cash, gold bars, arms sales: How Bob Menendez met legal jeopardy, again

The senator, his wife and three associates — Wael Hana, Fred Daibes and Jose Uribe — were charged with conspiracy to commit bribery and conspiracy to commit honest services fraud. The Menendezes also were charged with conspiracy to commit extortion as a public official.

Now they and Hana face an additional count for allegedly conspiring to have Menendez act as an illegal foreign agent on behalf of the Egyptian government, while he was serving as a U.S. senator with access to sensitive intelligence as the former head of the Senate’s Foreign Relations Committee.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by bob »

The usual denizens on the bird site want Bowman charged with insurrection.
Was actually charged with a misdemeanor:
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by raison de arizona »

Great ad.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/02/politics ... index.html

Federal prosecutors allege Sen. Bob Menendez accepted race car tickets and other gifts from Qatar as part of a yearslong corruption scheme, with the Gulf nation joining Egypt as another foreign country the New Jersey Democrat is accused of helping while in office.

Prosecutors allege in the superseding indictment that Menendez’s bribery and extortion scheme continued into 2023, a year longer than initially alleged. The new indictment, made public Tuesday, amends and replaces the original indictment, listing the formal charges against a defendant.

Among the new allegations, according to the indictment, is that Menendez accepted payments from one of his co-conspirators, New Jersey real estate developer Fred Daibes, in exchange for using his influence to help Daibes obtain millions of dollars from an investment fund tied to Qatar. The senator, prosecutors allege, additionally took steps to help Qatar.
This news was breaking on MSNBC just before Deadline WH hosted today by Alicia Menendez went to commercial break. When back on air, Alicia was absent and Ari Melber came on a few minutes early and broke the news. Sen. Menendez is Alicia's father and I read somewhere that she will not be reporting on this story. I'm guessing the Rs are OK with this *weaponization* of the Justice Department? :sarcasm:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by AndyinPA »

I noticed that she was gone all of a sudden. I do remember her saying she would not report on anything about her father. Must be tough for her.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by Kendra »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:44 pm I noticed that she was gone all of a sudden. I do remember her saying she would not report on anything about her father. Must be tough for her.
Yeah, she poofed pretty quick. Can't blame her, what a difficult position to be in.
p0rtia

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by p0rtia »

Kendra wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:56 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:44 pm I noticed that she was gone all of a sudden. I do remember her saying she would not report on anything about her father. Must be tough for her.
Yeah, she poofed pretty quick. Can't blame her, what a difficult position to be in.
Nope. Shes been filling in for Nicole Wallace. It was announced that the would be on Weds thru Fridays, though that's been iffy over the holidays. She was on today. She's very good.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Faux News had this a couple of weeks ago on Menendez - FWIW

p0rtia

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by p0rtia »

p0rtia wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:01 am
Kendra wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:56 pm
Nope. Shes been filling in for Nicole Wallace. It was announced that the would be on Weds thru Fridays, though that's been iffy over the holidays. She was on today. She's very good.
Adding to my own post: Alicia M is also going to do weekends at 8 on MSNBC with Simon Sander and Michael Steel. Starting Jan 13.
RTH10260

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by RTH10260 »

this lady has created quite a stir in the press and on Youtube, "make you own research" ;)

Small town dictator in her own rights...
Dolton Mayor Tiffany Henyard Sued By Trustees/Clerk Alleging Forgery/Withholding Financial Records –

BY JOHN KRAFT & KIRK ALLEN
ON JANUARY 4, 2024

Dolton, Ill. (ECWd) –Dolton Mayor Tiffany Henyard has been sued by Dolton Village Trustees Jason House, Brittney Norwood, Kiana Blecher, and Tammy Brown, and the Village Clerk Alison Key, alleging, among other things, that Mayor Henyard forged checks by using the Clerk’s stamp on village check without authority, and for failing to or refusing to provide access to village financial records, including credit card statements, and for removing the Clerk’s access to the bank account information without approval.

The Complaint was filed on December 22, 2023. A Memorandum of Law Supporting a Motion (and the Motion) for a Temporary Restraining Order and/or Preliminary Injunction was filed on January 3, 2024.

From among the Complaint:

https://edgarcountywatchdogs.com/2024/0 ... l-records/
Kendra

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/se ... 2e918&ei=9
NEW YORK (AP) — New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez wants a New York judge to toss out much of the evidence in the bribery prosecution against him, saying investigators illegally searched his residence as revenge because the Democrat defeated a prior prosecution in his home state.

His arguments, delivered by his lawyers, were contained in papers filed late Monday in Manhattan federal court, where Menendez faces a May trial.

In 2017, a federal jury in New Jersey deadlocked on 18 criminal charges against Menendez and a wealthy Florida eye doctor accused of buying his influence with luxury vacations and campaign contributions. Prosecutors then dropped the case.

“The government’s apparent zeal to ‘get back’ at Senator Menendez for defeating its prior prosecution has overwhelmed its sound judgment,” his lawyers said. “The FBI ran roughshod over the Senator’s Fourth Amendment rights, and all evidence collected from those searches must therefore be suppressed.”
RTH10260

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by RTH10260 »

no - the former resident of the T tower is not among them ;)
These business leaders secretly funded Mayor Eric Adams’s re-election effort, donors say
Three donors say that they – and, in two cases, their spouses – were reimbursed for donations to the New York City mayor’s 2025 campaign, a tactic that violates state law

George Joseph, Yoav Gonen, April Xu, Bianca Pallaro, and Haidee Chu
Thu 1 Feb 2024 11.00 CET

Political contributions to New York mayor Eric Adams totaling more than $10,000 were secretly bankrolled by business people tied to the city’s hotel and construction industries, according to three individuals listed as donors in government records.

These gifts to Adams’s 2025 re-election fund appear to be illegal “straw donations” masking the identities of the people who actually paid for the contributions, a joint media investigation by The City, Documented and the Guardian US has found.

Three Adams donors said in a series of in-person interviews with the media partners that they – and, in two cases, their spouses as well – made contributions of between $2,000 and $2,098 to the mayor’s re-election effort at the request of three business people. They said the businesspeople then reimbursed all five donors for their contributions – a tactic that appears to violate state law and allows shadow donors to flout campaign contribution limits.

Three of the five alleged reimbursements were linked to the owners of a hotel in Queens where the mayor’s director of Asian Affairs, Winnie Greco, lived for a number of months in late 2022 and the early part of 2023 – even as the site was operating under a city government subcontract as a shelter for formerly incarcerated individuals.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... york-mayor
Kendra

Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/05/politics ... index.html
New Jersey Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez was indicted Tuesday on a dozen new criminal charges related to a years-long bribery scheme involving the governments of Egypt and Qatar.

The new charges come days after one of the New Jersey businessmen who was previously indicted alongside Menendez, his wife Nadine Menendez, and two others agreed to plead guilty and cooperate with the investigation.

Among the new charges in the superseding indictment are conspiracy, obstruction of justice, public official acting as a foreign agent, bribery, extortion and honest services wire fraud.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”