Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Democrats Behaving Badly

bob

Re: Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by bob »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:16 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:43 pm But it says “right to vote,” implying a right to vote if you’re 18 or over.
I think it more than "implies" the right to vote if you're over 18. I think it guarantees it. But that's just me. Others might disagree.
Others do disagree, concluding the 26th Amendment only limits age-related prohibitions on voting.

The 17th Amendment, however, does say that U.S. senators are to be "elected by the people" of each state.

And, of course, states might have a right to vote enshrined in their constitution.
Image ImageImage
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

bob wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:00 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:16 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:43 pm But it says “right to vote,” implying a right to vote if you’re 18 or over.
I think it more than "implies" the right to vote if you're over 18. I think it guarantees it. But that's just me. Others might disagree.
Others do disagree, concluding the 26th Amendment only limits age-related prohibitions on voting.

The 17th Amendment, however, does say that U.S. senators are to be "elected by the people" of each state.

And, of course, states might have a right to vote enshrined in their constitution.
I know that others disagree, and I know what the arguments are.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

What even is this? Why would you do this if your name isn't Tulsi Gabbard?
Rick Wilson @TheRickWilson wrote: If you're one of the 47 Democratic electeds giving a response to the SOTU from a President of your own party, know this; whatever you say won't advance your agenda.

But it WILL be weaponized by the GOP into ads attacking Biden/Dem candidates this fall.

You can still cancel.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:doh:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Hmmm…
IMO, voting is in a special category as it it the innovative concept of the United States and is one of the few rights restricted to its citizens (how inclusive that group is has changed over time), but it is the fundamental means of the citizens to remove from office (peacefully) those they feel do not best represent their interests.

It is because it is absolutely fundamental to American governance that ID restrictions, etc, can be judged to be to restrictive. It holds a very special place.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/accused-r ... d?ref=home
Tulsi Gabbard, a former Democratic congresswoman from Hawaii and 2020 presidential dark horse candidate, has long perplexed U.S. officials and observers with her seemingly inexplicable pro-Russian positions. And a new development this week is sure to reinforce the half-jokes that Gabbard is a “Russian asset”; as it turns out, her campaign took money from one.

That agent—dual Russian-American national Elena Branson, also known as Elena Chernykh—stands accused of illegally pushing pro-Russia policies in the United States for nearly a decade, at the direction of top Kremlin officials, without registering under the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA), according to a criminal complaint federal prosecutors filed this week in the Southern District of New York.

But, in all her time lobbying for Russian goals, she gave money to just one federal candidate: Gabbard.

Edited to correct link.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:52 pm https://www.thedailybeast.com/accused-r ... d?ref=home
Tulsi Gabbard, a former Democratic congresswoman from Hawaii and 2020 presidential dark horse candidate, has long perplexed U.S. officials and observers with her seemingly inexplicable pro-Russian positions. And a new development this week is sure to reinforce the half-jokes that Gabbard is a “Russian asset”; as it turns out, her campaign took money from one.

That agent—dual Russian-American national Elena Branson, also known as Elena Chernykh—stands accused of illegally pushing pro-Russia policies in the United States for nearly a decade, at the direction of top Kremlin officials, without registering under the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA), according to a criminal complaint federal prosecutors filed this week in the Southern District of New York.

But, in all her time lobbying for Russian goals, she gave money to just one federal candidate: Gabbard.
Edited to correct link.
OMG! NOT SURPRISED. I posted in Hijack about our Councilwoman Nutburger & Elena Branson. Nutburger thought she was bringing peace between the US & Russia. Enjoyed a free trip to Russia.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lani wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:07 am
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:52 pm https://www.thedailybeast.com/accused-r ... d?ref=home

Edited to correct link.
OMG! NOT SURPRISED. I posted in Hijack about our Councilwoman Nutburger & Elena Branson. Nutburger thought she was bringing peace between the US & Russia. Enjoyed a free trip to Russia.
I didn't think you would be!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

From the source above:
The FBI agent’s affidavit cites an email that Kauai County councilwoman Felicia Cowden forwarded to Branson in 2019, between Cowden and “an individual working in the office of a member of the United States House of Representatives (Representative-1).”

In the email, as quoted in the affidavit, Cowden asked the staffer whether the Representative would like to meet with “an extraordinary group of people regarding Russian diplomacy.” The email notified the staffer that the group would include Branson and “two diplomats from the Russian embassy in Washington DC,” the affidavit said.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

American and Russian shipping companies (probably whalers) reached an agreement with Kauai's King Kaumualii to have access to what is now called the Russian fort. It never was a fort. The shipping companies moved on when King Kamehameha controlled all the islands. It has a nice view of the ocen, but it's red dirt and a bunch of broken rock walls,

[quote]Russian Fort Elizabeth isthe site of a short-lived venture by Russia in Hawaii and is a National Landmark operated as a state park. It is made of basalt boulders, stacked without mortar, combining Hawaiian and Russian design.[/quote]
https://nationalparkswitht.com/2020/09/ ... %CA%BBula/

Hawaiians want the name changed to reflect reality.

[attachment=0]russian fort.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
russian fort.jpg
russian fort.jpg (115.59 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:o Name change? Like in Putins Fort :?: :twisted:
Lani

Post by Lani »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:03 am :o Name change? Like in Putins Fort :?: :twisted:
Elena Branson wanted to stop Hawaiians from changing the name to Paʻulaʻula. Russians never garrisoned the fort. They didn’t built it, either.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

BUT.... But.... but... can one at least see Russia from that location :?:

;)
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

:think:

:think:
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Lt. Gov. Benjamin Arrested in Campaign Finance Scheme
Brian A. Benjamin, New York’s No. 2 official to Gov. Kathy Hochul, will face a federal charge that he conspired to commit bribery while a state senator.

By William K. Rashbaum and Nicholas Fandos
April 12, 2022 Updated 9:58 a.m. ET

Lt. Gov. Brian A. Benjamin of New York, the state’s second-in-command to Gov. Kathy Hochul, surrendered early Tuesday morning to face a federal bribery conspiracy indictment in connection with a scheme to funnel fraudulent donations to a previous campaign, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

The indictment, the result of an investigation by the F.B.I. and the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, accused Mr. Benjamin of conspiring to direct state funds to a Harlem real estate investor in exchange for orchestrating thousands of dollars in illegal campaign contributions to Mr. Benjamin’s unsuccessful 2021 campaign for New York City comptroller, the people said. The investor was arrested on federal charges in November.

The legal turmoil casts Mr. Benjamin’s political future in question, and complicates this year’s election for him and Ms. Hochul, who was catapulted into office last year after her predecessor, Andrew M. Cuomo, resigned after numerous allegations of sexual misconduct.

There is no suggestion that Ms. Hochul was aware of Mr. Benjamin’s alleged criminal conduct, which prosecutors said occurred when he was a state senator. Still, she took office last year promising to end an era of impropriety in Albany, and selecting Mr. Benjamin, 45, was among her first major decisions as governor.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/12/nyre ... ested.html
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Nancy Pelosi's husband Paul arrested for drink-driving”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61631499
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Why do wealthy people not just pay for a driver. I would if I could. Smh
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:58 am Why do wealthy people not just pay for a driver. I would if I could. Smh
Don't even have to be wealthy to get a Lyft, just not poor.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Ego. “I’m not an alcoholic. I can handle it.”
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:winner:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

I'm not averse to holding violent repeat offendors pre-trial, but c'mon...
Gregory Pratt @royalpratt wrote: Mayor Lori Lightfoot wants people charged with violent crime to stay behind bars: "When those charges are brought, these people are guilty." They have a presumption of innocence, she says, but the CCSAO's high standards mean they're guilty if they get charged.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Uninformed wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:23 am “Nancy Pelosi's husband Paul arrested for drink-driving”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61631499
This is a Fox News personality, so the info is suspect until reported elsewhere.
TheLeoTerrell @TheLeoTerrell wrote: Tell me it’s not true. All DUI charges against Paul Pelosi a.k.a. Nancy Pelosi’s husband have been dropped.
bob

Post by bob »

TheLeoTerrell @TheLeoTerrell wrote: Tell me it’s not true. All DUI charges against Paul Pelosi a.k.a. Nancy Pelosi’s husband have been dropped.
Looks like a game of nut-job telephone: "Questions were asked" why Pelosi's mugshot hasn't been released (hint: California doesn't have Florida's sunshine laws) to charges have been dropped to Newsom ordered the charges to be dropped.

:brickwallsmall:
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

bob wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:34 pm
Looks like a game of nut-job telephone: "Questions were asked" why Pelosi's mugshot hasn't been released (hint: California doesn't have Florida's sunshine laws) to charges have been dropped to Newsom ordered the charges to be dropped.

:brickwallsmall:
DJR Jr is reporting it as well, it has gone all the way up the nut-job chain.
bob

Post by bob »

I just peaked at the Napa County Superior Court's site, and it would be more fair to say "charges have yet to be filed."

Which is not unusual: There can be some delay between an arrest and the initiation of judicial proceedings. Notably, a prosecutor has to review the evidence and decide whether to file charges.

FOX is on a whinefest about how the CHP shined it on, so it was forced to file a (state analog) FOIA request. This somehow morphed in Newsom protecting Pelosi. :roll:

Interestingly, a Paul Pelosi was charged in 2018 with a DUI. (Pelosi, Sr. has a Pelosi, Jr.) That Pelosi eventually pleaded no contest to the lesser offense of alcohol-related reckless driving (a "wet reckless" in the local parlance).
Image ImageImage

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”