Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Fashion!

Sunrise

Re: Fashion!

Post by Sunrise »

I don’t want to take up the space to repost the picture, but the tattoos, fingernails, and rings make an ‘interesting’ contrast to the dress and whatever that thing wrapped around her is. :lol:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Azastan wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:18 pm My first thought on looking at this photo was--she's wearing a Grammy as a hat?
Oh good. I wasn't the only one.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Sunrise wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:07 pm I don’t want to take up the space to repost the picture, but the tattoos, fingernails, and rings make an ‘interesting’ contrast to the dress and whatever that thing wrapped around her is. :lol:
Yeah, she can't hold her hands naturally at her side because you wouldn't see the bling. She has to walk around holding her hands like that.

Yuck. That whole lady is like the exact opposite of attractive. :sick:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Gloves in the same shade as the pee-stained fitted sheets might have improved it, a tiny bit.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.thezoereport.com/culture/th ... sag-awards
fadd9d90-a760-4c40-84e6-6e70accddc40-shutterstock_editorial_11842293au_kindlephoto-5956803.jpg
fadd9d90-a760-4c40-84e6-6e70accddc40-shutterstock_editorial_11842293au_kindlephoto-5956803.jpg (369.98 KiB) Viewed 4784 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Classic, spectacular! That's because she's both.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Foggy wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:45 am
Sunrise wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:07 pm I don’t want to take up the space to repost the picture, but the tattoos, fingernails, and rings make an ‘interesting’ contrast to the dress and whatever that thing wrapped around her is. :lol:
Yeah, she can't hold her hands naturally at her side because you wouldn't see the bling. She has to walk around holding her hands like that.

Yuck. That whole lady is like the exact opposite of attractive. :sick:
Could you imagine being the poor schlub who has to sit behind her at the awards show?
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I just loved this story in the Washington Post. You have to go there and see all the wonderful Sunday outfits.

This woman, 82, dresses to the nines each Sunday for virtual church. Her selfies have become legendary.
It’s been more than a year now that churchgoers have been watching virtual streaming Sunday services on their cellphones and computers during the pandemic. Many have made a habit of tuning in while wearing cozy sweatpants or pajamas.

Then there’s La Verne Ford Wimberly of Tulsa.

The 82-year-old retired educator decks herself out head to toe every Sunday, then — to the delight of fellow parishioners at Metropolitan Baptist Church — posts a selfie on Facebook after the service.

Since March 29, 2020, she has taken photos of herself from her living room in 53 different color-coordinated outfits — each one carefully selected from the burgeoning closets, jewelry boxes and neatly stacked hat boxes that have satisfied her love of making a grand entrance since she was a young schoolteacher in the 1960s.
Two of the eight photos from the article -

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

LOVE those hats! Pretty lady, too.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Oh!!!! Her hats are SPECTACULAR!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I never realized that Church Hats was a thing before the above article about La Verne Ford Wimberly. Here's an article which talks about Black women and Church Hats -

The Fascinating History Behind Black Women’s Church Hat Cultural Tradition
A deeply rooted tradition in the African American community, wearing flamboyant hats to church has both spiritual and cultural significance. The centuries-old custom continues to flourish throughout the Southern U.S. and in strong black Northern communities, including Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit and Harlem. The dress hats, which are beautifully fabricated and extravagantly decorated, have evolved into an art form and an important cultural symbol.

Prior to the 20th century, most American Christian women commonly followed Corinthians 1:11 and covered their heads in worship. For early African Americans, God’s house was not only a sanctuary of hope and salvation in a brutal world, but it was also one of the few places where they were allowed to hold important positions of leadership. Sunday was thus a day of worship and celebration. African American women traded in their drab aprons and knotted head wraps for brightly colored dresses and straw hats gaily decorated with fresh flowers, ribbons and feathers. These heaven-reaching hats were designed to “catch God’s eye” in hopes He would hear their prayers.

Elaborately adorned headdresses hold enormous significance in African rituals. American slaves continued the custom of weaving geometric designs, attaching feathers and adding beaded jewelry to straw and fiber hats before attending church. In addition to instilling pride and confidence, the hats remind the wearers to carry themselves like queens. Culturally, church hats became a strong symbol of the ability to triumph over hardships. Worn with the head held high, African American women strut with “hattitude” while sporting these crowns.

As African Americans gained greater freedoms, the crown evolved into an important status symbol. During the Harlem Renaissance in the 1920s, the growing middle class celebrated their economic successes by purchasing flashy hats and wearing them everywhere, from the office to the speakeasy. Black women appeared in church flaunting colorful, wide-brimmed hats lined in silk, sparkling with rhinestones and trimmed with flower garlands, sassy feathers and delicate lace. Noted African American milliners, who include Grace Bustill Douglass, Mildred Blount and Mae Reeves, achieved fame for their designs as early as the 1800s.

Young girls who dreamed of wearing beautiful hats like their mothers and grandmothers rebelliously rejected the crown as a symbol of oppression and the black bourgeoisie in the 1960s. Still, ridiculed elders kept the tradition alive. In the 1990s, these young women vigorously reembraced the custom as they became the church elders. Although most prominent milliners are now well past retirement age, custom-made designs fetch between $100 to $1,000. While many church-going African American women own at least one formal hat, it is not uncommon for devout crown wearers to have one that flawlessly matches each carefully tailored church dress. Shopping for the perfect hat to wear on Easter, Mother’s Day and Christmas can take hours.

In writing and photographing their book, “Crowns,” Michael Cunningham and Craig Marberry discovered that numerous unwritten rules for wearing church hats have developed in the African American community. This hat etiquette includes not wearing anything that is wider than the shoulders or darker than the color of the shoes and never borrowing or touching someone else’s hat, although treasured pieces are often passed on to daughters and granddaughters. While the hat should be the focal point, it must not compete with the matching outfit, jewelry or accessories, such as pocketbooks and gloves.
Also, if you search Amazon for Church Hats, you'll get a lot of hits.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:lovestruck:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:53 pm I just loved this story in the Washington Post. You have to go there and see all the wonderful Sunday outfits.

This woman, 82, dresses to the nines each Sunday for virtual church. Her selfies have become legendary.
It’s been more than a year now that churchgoers have been watching virtual streaming Sunday services on their cellphones and computers during the pandemic. Many have made a habit of tuning in while wearing cozy sweatpants or pajamas.

Then there’s La Verne Ford Wimberly of Tulsa.

The 82-year-old retired educator decks herself out head to toe every Sunday, then — to the delight of fellow parishioners at Metropolitan Baptist Church — posts a selfie on Facebook after the service.

Since March 29, 2020, she has taken photos of herself from her living room in 53 different color-coordinated outfits — each one carefully selected from the burgeoning closets, jewelry boxes and neatly stacked hat boxes that have satisfied her love of making a grand entrance since she was a young schoolteacher in the 1960s.
Two of the eight photos from the article -

Church Ladies. The South is full of them. We have whole stores of nothing but Church Lady hats. Lots of Church Lady art too.

eta: I made my comment before reading MN's second article. It is such a thing down here I never thought about it being regional. The men also have very specific church attire, including multi-color shoes to go with their colorful suits. And orchid suit with a green vest and purple and green wind tips are a fairly common combination. And a hat for them too.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:05 pm
Church Ladies. The South is full of them. We have whole stores of nothing but Church Lady hats. Lots of Church Lady art too.
I shared the first article with my Seattle sister and her response was to ask where you would buy church hats. I remember growing up in the 60s and my mom had a few hats, but they were fairly modest affairs. Church Hats were definitely not a thing in rural Wisconsin, rural Iowa, or white suburban Twin Cities.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Nor in Sacramento. Mantillas were big in my mom’s circle though. You would find lots of lacy black head coverings, few hats.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Kate520 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:33 pm Nor in Sacramento. Mantillas were big in my mom’s circle though. You would find lots of lacy black head coverings, few hats.
I went to catholic school. We wore “chapel veils.” Little girls wore small white round ones (except for First Communion -then you got fancy). Grown women wore either a long white or black veil, a hat, or a silk scarf. The hats weren’t fancy - cloches or pillboxes, usually. My mom was the silk scarf type. Until she got excommunicated for divorcing my dad.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Church hats is a recurring theme in the comic strip "Curtis".
ScreenHunter_362 Apr. 06 11.48.jpg
ScreenHunter_362 Apr. 06 11.48.jpg (108.96 KiB) Viewed 4674 times
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

The church hat was also featured in season 3 of The Wire (HBO) when some of Avon Barksdale’s crew violated the “Sunday Truce” and tried to take out Omar Little as he was taking his elderly grandmother to church. Her hat fell off while Omar was pushing her into a taxi, and the taxi ran over it. Avon made his guys apologize to Omar and buy his grandmother a new hat.

Seriously, if you haven’t seen it, The Wire is one of the best shows ever on television.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:01 pm Seriously, if you haven’t seen it, The Wire is one of the best shows ever on television.
I dislike cops shows, but that one I have on Blu Ray :biggrin:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

My mom and grandmothers wouldn't be seen in church without a hat, and they were from northeastern Pennsylvania.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Hijacking this thread, partly to massage my own ego and partly to rant about current men's fashion. If women's clothing seems designed to only fit individuals with unrealistically perfect bodies, men's suits are becoming exactly the same.

Since we're finally crawling out of our bunkers, and because in-person court appearances are about to become more commonplace for me, I took the opportunity yesterday to treat myself with a visit to a well-regarded local tailor and get fitted for a new suit. It'll be made-to-measure, not fully bespoke, but it's still nice to not be getting something that's just off-the-peg and altered a little bit. One of the drawbacks about my cycling habit is that my thighs are, well, fairly enormous, and the current trend in menswear toward flat-fronted trousers with very tapered legs just doesn't work for me at all. The trousers of the last several suits I've purchased are tight when I'm standing, but murderously so when I'm sitting. This is not only annoying, but also means they wear out with a rapidity that is beyond annoying. Even worse, movies and television have been promoting a shrunken look to men's suiting for years now that essentially tells people that ill-fitting trousers and jackets are "fashionable." (One only needs to watch the last two Bond movies and see Daniel Craig's physique straining to extricate itself from suits that are multiple sizes too small to know what I'm on about.) Hell, it's undeniable that suits are almost a dying article of clothing these days, which is a godawful shame in my estimation, because I happen to love wearing them. More than one acquaintance has asked if I went to law school just to guarantee that my profession would be one of the few where suiting up was still considered de rigueur.

Since this tailor and I are just getting to know each other, I figured I would start with the most conservative (perhaps even boring) number imaginable - a plain navy two button with no frills except a red paisley lining, pick-stitched lapels, and side-adjusters plus suspender buttons on the trousers in lieu of belt loops. The only thing that isn't changeable that I wish would be is the shoulder. I have a slight fetish for English- and Italian-style roped sleeveheads as well as Neopolitan spalla camicia shoulders, and unfortunately this tailor only does the boring American-style flat shoulders popularized by Brooks Brothers. (Here is an article explaining the differences for those interested.) Well, you can't have everything.

Best of all, Mrs. FRP isn't even threatening to divorce me for spending, well, a good chunk of change on a suit. Of course, if the guy really delivers, I'll probably want to go back for more. All my adult life, I've dreamed of having a navy pinstripe three-piece suit. "Why didn't I get that this time," I hear you ask? Because I know enough about tailoring to know that any competent tailor would want to construct at least a couple jackets for a customer before attempting a waistcoat. The margins for error on vests are just so much less. Some day.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

FRP, if you did any fashion reports on the Chauvin trial, I missed them. One of these days I'd like to see joint fashion reports from you and Sugar M., who was our resident fashionista before you joined us - and she creates fashions, too also!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

(One only needs to watch the last two Bond movies and see Daniel Craig's physique straining to extricate itself from suits that are multiple sizes too small to know what I'm on about.)
Don't have time to look for them now, but I've seen at least 2 articles about Craig's struggle to fit into the Bond's suits. One was linked off an article I read yesterday about Benedict Cumberbatch's shedding 21 pounds for the movie "The Courier".
Has everybody heard about the bird?
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:46 am FRP, if you did any fashion reports on the Chauvin trial, I missed them. One of these days I'd like to see joint fashion reports from you and Sugar M., who was our resident fashionista before you joined us - and she creates fashions, too also!
All I think I did on the Chauvin trial was complain about Nelson's taste in clothes off-hand once or twice, but since you asked...

Nelson's suits are boxy and he appears to lack the ability to competently knot a necktie (or select non-awful ties for his wardrobe, for that matter). Given what he must have been paid for handling the case, he certainly could have afforded to dress better. Oh, and the square eyeglasses don't work at all. It seemed like he was deliberately going for the "absent-minded professor" look. He gets some credit for wearing cuff links and a three-piece suit a couple times, though. Points also deducted for not wearing a pocket square. Schleicher and Blackwell both dressed like typical prosecutors, staid and conservative, but nothing special. The best-dressed witness by miles was Lieutenant Zimmerman of the MPD. His ensemble was pure American trad: Conservative navy suit, white button-down, subtly-patterned red tie. I don't usually go for the trad or Ivy League look with button down dress shirts (think Robert Mueller), as I think button-downs are too casual, but Zimmerman pulled it off very well. Only thing I would have added - again - would have been a crisp white pocket square with either a TV or a crown fold. (TV fold: think Sean Connery's James Bond; crown fold: think Joe Biden.)

At one point, I took this pic of the split-screen with him and Nelson and sent it to Mrs. FRP to explain that Zimmerman was crushing Nelson both in terms of substantive testimony and appearance. Nelson's suit is actually hanging at an odd angle (see how the notches in his lapel aren't level), which is a giveaway that it's cheap and doesn't fit. I'm sure the vest underneath is equally bad. His shirt collar appears to be at least a half-inch too small for his neck, and that poor attempt at a Windsor knot on his necktie just draws attention to it. Zimmerman, on the other hand, looks neat and composed. I can't tell if Zimmerman's jacket cuffs are too long but otherwise he hit it out of the park. Note that his tie and the knot of his tie are roughly proportional to the width of his lapel, where Nelson's tie and its knot look fat and out-of-place.
Attachments
IMG_2606.jpg
IMG_2606.jpg (482.36 KiB) Viewed 4268 times
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”