Fashion!

RVInit

Fashion!

Post by RVInit »

All the guys look pretty great, but Eddy Redmayne forgot his shirt!

I loved so many of the women's dresses as well. Very nice collection of well dressed celebrities.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Phoenix520
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by Phoenix520 »

Cate Blanchette looks elegant in that cape jacket.

Anya Taylor-Joy (who?) is the bravest, I think, with her Schiaparelli mini and…. space blanket? Parachute? (#56)

Gugu Mbatha-Raw’s Gucci I like a lot (#28)

Danielle Deadwiler looks fantastic too. It looks like she could tear off the bottom to make a tennis dress. Serena and Venus would approve. (#6)

Eddie Redmayne is always worth a look. This time - tux without shirt.
(#21)

That copper dress on Cynthia is fierce.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:53 pm Anya Taylor-Joy (who?) is the bravest, I think, with her Schiaparelli mini and…. space blanket? Parachute? (#56)
She's a fairly popular actress. She was the main character in "The Menu" (just saw that BTW - What. A. TRIP! That was one wild - and well-done (no pun intended) movie!). She's also been in "The Witch", "The Norseman", "Peeky Blinders", "Queens Gambit" and a few others.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by Phoenix520 »

Thanks Kris. I’ve not watched any of those.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Fashion!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

She was also in "Under the Banner of Heaven" as a Mormon fundamentalist's wife. Were it not for her large, distinctive eyes, I would not have recognized her. She is a chameleon.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Fashion!

Post by keith »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:43 pm I’d like to see Orly in those spider eyes. :lol:

Sam Smith - a big NOPE for me. He looks like a chess piece from Alice in Wonderland.
clown suit to attract attention - does anybody know who he is?

Yes to both baby bumps.
I agree.

Selma Hayek looks fierce.
Violent agreement. I hope that face is managed by makeup and not a bit of botched (IMO) work. I can't mention Selma without complaining that the snake got cheated out of an Oscar.

Lizzo is brave and bold with fashion.
Not a great fan of Lizzo, but I agree she wears it well.

Harry Styles looks damn fine.
I just don't get Styles. I guess I'm not a 15yo anymore. He was in Australia a few days ago and caused a FREEWAY traffic jam by 'fans' chasing him. Sounds like a publicity stunt to me. I don't know if he's still in Australia.

Thanks, trl!
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer

Fashion!

100 Red Carpet photos of SAG Awards!!!!! Several coppery metallic outfits.
https://www.eonline.com/photos/35760/sa ... et-fashion
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:33 am 100 Red Carpet photos of SAG Awards!!!!! Several coppery metallic outfits.
:gotalink:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Fashion!

https://deadline.com/gallery/2023-film- ... carpet-41/
2023 Film Independent Spirit Awards – Red Blue Carpet
Quintana Brunson Brunson consistently wears body flattering, eye catching haute couture.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by Phoenix520 »

Thank you, trl. I love these excursions into beauty, after the ugliness we subject ourselves to daily.

I really like Jamie Lee Curtis’s pant suit.

Taylor Page’s green sheath dress is the most interesting to me, with that burlapy fabric, attached cloth flowers and strategic runs, like in a stocking. I’d wear that to the Last Night Ball.

Also a fan of that Jodie Turner-Smith dress that reminds me of Guo Pei’s designs.

Lastly, Liv Neil’s pantsuit in which she looks a bit Hobbitish.

There were more I liked but I have visitors coming. I should prolly do the dishes before they get here. 😁

I went to the Guo Pei exhibit at the Bowers museum in Santa Ana. Friday. 🥹 It was much smaller - 40 dresses, from 2016-2019 collections - than I expected, but worth every minute. I’ll write about it after our guests leave.
MN-Skeptic

Fashion!

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Honest to goodness... Patricia Arquette needs to either hire a stylist or fire the one she has. I don't know if I've ever seen her in a flattering outfit.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Fashion!

:yeahthat:
MN-Skeptic

Fashion!

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Fashion photos from the 2023 Oscars - https://www.eonline.com/photos/35826/os ... ion/page/1
Tiredretiredlawyer

Fashion!

:bighug: :dance:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Fashion!

There were so many fabulous dresses it’s like the Oscars got a facelift. Even edgier dresses looked good.

The guys looked fabulous too. My perennial favorite is Idris Elba.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Fashion!

Post by neonzx »

Do these people have to return these fashions advertising super expensive wares, or is that part of the fee for service?
Azastan
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by Azastan »

Most of the gowns are returned to the designer, but occasionally the gowns are gifted to the actor, especially if the actor has won an award.

I don't know about the men's fashions, but it probably gets returned to the designer as well. Much easier for the men to wear the same tuxedo more than once, though.

The jewelry is returned to the jewelers, although some actors (think Elizabeth Taylor) may own the jewels.
SuzieC
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by SuzieC »

Cate Blanchett and Michelle Yeoh looked fabulous. For the guys, Idris Elba!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm sort of traditional when it comes to evening gowns. I liked Jamie Lee Curtis' gown.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Fashion!

Post by bill_g »

The women dress fancy, but several of the guys dressed for the job interview in IT.
Mrich

Fashion!

Post by Mrich »

When Mindy Kaling presented, I didn't recognize her and said "she's wearing Mindy's dress only in black!" She actually changed into a black version of the Vera Wang. (BTW she looks great. How does someone have 2 kids and lose weight?)
Tiredretiredlawyer

Fashion!

Mindy did look great!!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by AndyinPA »

Cool!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2 ... d-luggage/
If you lost a suitcase containing a black tux in the last few decades, your formal wear might have made it to the champagne carpet at Sunday’s Academy Awards. And it may be extremely lucky.

“Everything Everywhere All at Once” co-director Daniel Scheinert, who shared awards for best director and best original screenplay with his creative partner, Daniel Kwan, wore an outfit salvaged from lost luggage to the biggest night in showbiz. The multiverse movie was the big winner of the night, claiming best picture among its seven trophies and making Michelle Yeoh the first Asian woman to win the Oscar for best actress.

While fellow stars donned Louis Vuitton and Versace, Scheinert sported a black tuxedo from Unclaimed Baggage, a store in Scottsboro, Ala., that is exactly what it sounds like. The business has been around for more than 50 years, buying left-behind bags from airlines and then selling, recycling and donating the spoils. (Don’t worry — these are “truly orphaned” bags that airlines have tried extensively to reunite with their owners).
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Fashion!

Here are the after Oscar party pics!

https://www.thezoereport.com/culture/20 ... hion-looks
The 2023 Oscars After-Party Fashion Looks Were The Perfect Mix Of Edgy & Glam
Tiredretiredlawyer

Fashion!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/maise ... smsnnews11
'Maisel' costumes enhance storytelling with boldness, color

At an October set visit during the shooting of the comedy’s latest season, Emmy-winning costume designer Donna Zakowska gave marching orders to her team in order to translate the characters’ emotions and aesthetic tone of each scene. Over five seasons, Zakowska says she’s dressed nearly 50,000 principal actors and extras for Amazon Prime Video’s hit show, which launches its final season Friday.

Before filming, Zakowska gave each player a once-over to ensure every shoe, brooch and belt looked right. When seeking inspiration, Zakowska often referred to what she called the “Maisel map” — images of star Rachel Brosnahan’ s signature looks and color palettes from previous seasons — across from a wall of her latest sketches.

“One of the greatest joys and most terrifying parts about doing this show is that I didn’t feel like I knew who Midge was,” Brosnahan told The Associated Press about her character. “Without geniuses like Donna, crafting this character and helping me understand where she was, emotionally, scene to scene through how she expressed herself in her clothes, I don’t think we would be here.”

She has ”a great love for storytelling,” Brosnahan said.

Show creators Amy Sherman-Palladino and Dan Palladino said that Zakowska had an immediate understanding of how Brosnahan’s character would evolve, and how to show those character changes through color. As Midge becomes more empowered to speak her mind onstage, she goes from wearing pastel-colored suits uptown to a black dress when she performs in clubs downtown. “She’s the first person we worked with that did this, and we loved it. She equated color with mood of character,” Palladino said.

“You’re really trying to enhance the script, the story, and you’re trying to create this world,” Zakowska said.

As a nod to the character's full-circle evolution, in the first episode of the new season, a newly confident Midge wears a two-toned version of the original pink coat. “There’s a sort of romanticism or sentimentality about the color,” Zakowska said.

Many of the actors saw Zakowska as a collaborator in developing their characters. Alex Borstein, who plays Susie on the show, said she wanted to wear suspenders and a peaked cap, which Zakowska enhanced with a leather jacket and even her own boots. “Every time you threw on that uniform or that suit of armor it helped create Susie for me, made it real,” Borstein said.

“You get out of the car…you go through hair and makeup and you’re still in 2022,” said Reid Scott, who plays a late-night host on season five. For Scott’s character, Zakowska tailored bespoke suits and sourced a slew of vintage cardigans from the UK. “The second you put on that suit, and the way it feels and the way it smells and the way the high waisted pants really grip you, it would just drop me in and...boom, you’re in 1961.”

Zakowska said she was a little surprised, but pleased by how fans responded to the costumes, with some even dressing like Midge for Halloween. “I think somehow Midge Maisel gave a lot of women a vocabulary,” she said, of the main character’s impact on pop culture. After the pandemic, she noticed a heightened interest in the costumes. Everyone wanted to “celebrate a little bit,” and Midge’s looks were “the right thing at the right moment,” Zakowska said.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”