Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Fashion!

johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Re: Fashion!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

fierceredpanda wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:12 amMaybe it's a politician thing, figuring that people are only going to be looking at your upper half anyway.
Worrying about the upper half may or may not be a politician thing, but it's definitely a newscaster thing. I used to get interviewed a lot about the stock market back in the day, and was on CNBC or similar places every couple of weeks. I'd often be in the makeup chair next to the anchor. I still remember sitting next to the late Mark Haines, the legendary CNBC morning host (who was on with a rookie Erin Burnett). He was wearing a really nice custom blue blazer with an incredibly crisp blue shirt and a Faberge tie. Looked like a million bucks Below the waist, he was in Madras plaid bermuda shorts and a pair of well-worn Topsiders with holes worn in the uppers. No socks, of course. He was more the rule than the exception.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:11 pm
fierceredpanda wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:12 amMaybe it's a politician thing, figuring that people are only going to be looking at your upper half anyway.
Worrying about the upper half may or may not be a politician thing, but it's definitely a newscaster thing. I used to get interviewed a lot about the stock market back in the day, and was on CNBC or similar places every couple of weeks. I'd often be in the makeup chair next to the anchor. I still remember sitting next to the late Mark Haines, the legendary CNBC morning host (who was on with a rookie Erin Burnett). He was wearing a really nice custom blue blazer with an incredibly crisp blue shirt and a Faberge tie. Looked like a million bucks Below the waist, he was in Madras plaid bermuda shorts and a pair of well-worn Topsiders with holes worn in the uppers. No socks, of course. He was more the rule than the exception.
Oh yeah, but that's because of the hot lights on TV news sets. I used to know one of the local anchors really well, and he was always wearing shorts just because the lights were so hot on set.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.thezoereport.com/fashion/be ... 1-olympics
Don't Miss These Fashion Moments From The 2021 Olympics

The Summer Olympics is focused on athleticism and sporting events, but one shouldn’t ignore the best fashion moments at the 2021 Olympics. How style plays a role in the games was evident during the opening ceremony when each country walked out in their incredible team uniforms. Viewers were finally able to witness Telfar Clemens’ outfit designs for Liberia while Twitter users had plenty of thoughts on Ralph Lauren’s looks for Team U.S.A. Japanese singer Misia stunned the audience with her dress when she sang Japan’s national anthem in a rainbow-colored number from Tomo Koizumi. Aside from that statement look, there were plenty of other under-the-radar fashion moments you might’ve missed.

American fashion house Ralph Lauren has designed Team U.S.A.’s parade outfits for every Olympics since 2008. For this year’s games, the label introduced eco-friendly uniforms for the opening ceremony. The navy blazer was made from wool grown in the U.S. while the striped T-shirts were treated by Ecofast Pure (an advanced pre-treatment solution by Dow that allows cotton to be dyed with less water, chemicals, and energy). Meanwhile, the team’s striped belts were made from REPREVE, a brand that makes fiber out of post-consumer plastic bottles and pre-consumer waste. The ensembles, as a whole, gave off patriotic vibes that weren’t overly flashy.

Japanese singer and songwriter Misia performed the Japanese national anthem, "Kimi Ga Yo," at the opening ceremony. For her on-stage look, she wore a colorful candy-colored dress from Tomo Koizumi. The designer is known for creating colorful, larger-than-life tulle attire, which has quickly garnered a fashion fan base. For reference, actor Sophie Turner wore one of Koizumi’s fantasy dresses from his Fall/Winter 2019 collection in the Jonas Brothers music video “Sucker.”

Germany’s Olympic Gymnasts Wore Full-Length Unitards

During podium training, Germany's Olympic gymnastic team wore full-length unitards instead of traditional leotards. This was done to combat sexualization in the sport and highlight the sexism that exists for women and what they wear. “We wanted to show that every woman, everybody, should decide what to wear,” said team member Elisabeth Seitz to Time. The team’s powerful stance on their uniforms could not have come at a better time in the sporting world. Just this week, Norway’s women’s beach handball team was fined for wearing shorts and not bikini bottoms at the European Beach Handball Championship.
Attachments
5ec32e83-4d1e-4730-a0a7-e3d36b6068be-gettyimages-1330249558.jpg
5ec32e83-4d1e-4730-a0a7-e3d36b6068be-gettyimages-1330249558.jpg (107.27 KiB) Viewed 2875 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I was shocked by the Euro decision to fine Norway’s beach volleyball team for not wearing bikini bottoms, I gotta say. Good on Germany.

The uniforms look positively exuberant! I love the Liberian team’s look(s).
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm missing the KC Comicon this weekend thanks to covid, but it's going on without me. My daughter sent me this photo from outside the convention center. If you're not familiar with the Mario video game franchise, it's modeled after a character called Chomp.

And I LOVE it.

Don't miss the hat, which looks like a Mario Star (what one collects in most games) with a pink mushroom center, inspired by the Mushroom Kingdom of Princess Peach, (whom one rescues in most games. And, yes, I'm a gamer, and the Mario series is my fav.)

chomp.jpg
chomp.jpg (299.16 KiB) Viewed 2652 times

chain chomp.png
chain chomp.png (14.64 KiB) Viewed 2652 times
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
johnpcapitalist

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:57 am I'm missing the KC Comicon this weekend thanks to covid, but it's going on without me. My daughter sent me this photo from outside the convention center. If you're not familiar with the Mario video game franchise, it's modeled after a character called Chomp.
I know absolutely nothing about gaming (though a lot of gamers think it incredibly interesting that I worked at Atari during the first major video game wave back in 1980-1983). But even without understanding the nuances of the character it represents, that's a really cool costume that your daughter put together. The coolness transcends any knowledge of the game...
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

E9abbAjXMAQRYKt.jpg
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

:rotflmao:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

From the appropriately named company 'Redneck Boot Sandals' of course.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.3120647
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Okay, I don't like thongs, but those look really uncomfortable.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:08 pm Okay, I don't like thongs, but those look really uncomfortable.
And if you're from Seattle, you'd wear them with socks.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:08 pm Okay, I don't like thongs, but those look really uncomfortable.
Flip flops and cowboy boots are all I wear!
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:53 pm

And if you're from Seattle, you'd wear them with socks.
Az on Swinging Bridge.jpg
Az on Swinging Bridge.jpg (180.88 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
Hoof boots are all the rage in Puget Sound.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:38 pm
Flip flops and cowboy boots are all I wear!
Cowboy boots are not a Pittsburgh thing, although I like other boots in season. I used to wear mules and clogs, and almost to his dying day, my dad used to tell me I was going to fall and break my neck in those things. He's been gone fourteen years, and I'm finally seeing some sense to it at my age, but I still like them once in a while. But he'd be so proud of me now. :lol: I still wear sandals for as much of the year as I can, just something with a little top and/or back strap. I also need a really good shoes as I have a really high arch.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.thezoereport.com/fashion/th ... ar-economy
The Rise of ThredUp: What Its Retail Partnerships Mean For the Future of Fashion

You know ThredUp. You may have sold clothes on the online resale platform, you may have thrifted from there. Or you may know it simply as a useful resource for decluttering sprees, effectively replacing any kind of garment-trashing guilt with a virtuous, do-gooder attitude, knowing that your unwanted, pre-worn clothes will get a second life (earning some cash out of it also helps). In the 12 years since its launch, ThredUp has garnered a whopping total of 1.34 million active sellers, making its reach pretty damn high. But its impact on you — and on a much grander scale — the future of the planet is even greater than we previously thought, thanks to its Resale as a Service (or RaaS), a program that encourages retail partners to adopt a resale-first mindset and move towards a circular economy.

First, some background: ThredUp’s RaaS launched in 2018 with fashion-favorite Reformation as its sole retailer, and in the two years since, it has gone on to broker deals with at least an additional 20 (with potentially more in the pipeline), including Walmart, Gap, Macy’s, Abercrombie & Fitch, Madewell, Farfetch, Vera Bradley, Reebok, and many more, with the goal for consumers to swap their secondhand clothing for shopping credits.

“Back then, we wouldn’t even get calls from retailers. The question then was, ‘Why resale?’ Now, it’s ‘How can I make resale work for my business and customers?,’” says Pooja Sethi, SVP and GM for RaaS at ThredUp. “In order to make a dent and really fight fashion waste, we need a much larger audience. We need to engage and educate retailers, make it easy for them to enter the resale space, and help them integrate circularity in their business model. Our mission was to inspire people to sell secondhand, and we did that through our marketplace; now through RaaS, we’re inspiring brands.”

The need for circularity became even clearer to much of the fashion community when popular Instagram account Diet Prada recirculated a photo of what, at first glance, looked like the carcass of a dead animal. It wasn’t. It was what was left of a pair of composted jeans, with nothing left but the plastic fibers that make up the stretch in denim. In a single photo, it inadvertently captured the linear way in which the industry has essentially operated ever since it was conceived: businesses manufacture clothing, consumers buy it, and then it ends up in the landfill at the end of its life.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Eileen Fisher has a similar program. They recycle cashmere, all sorts of fabric. You get store credit.

Go, ThredUp! This industry is ripe for change. ThredUp recently started selling on eBay, too. I buy almost everything on eBay. If’n you know where to look and don’t need it for an event this weekend, you can find high-end clothes, brand new, for .10 on the $.

I have a love/hate relationship with shopping. I hate cheaply mass-produced garments that fall apart at first washing but hey, didn’t you look amazing the one night you wore it; the waste; how the industry encourages the waste; the exploitation. Then too I don’t like malls. And the idea that you have to trudge all over town to find something good makes you tired before you start.

On eBay, if you know your size in a particular brand it’s all there in one place to hunt down, in a vast range of prices. I even bought the mr’s first old truck on eBay for his b-day in 2000. 🤪 A 1949 Ford F-(something) 3/4 ton, Ford-green beauty with the original, cardboard sun visors and tissue thin headliner. It had, like, 6,000 miles on it. It had been sitting in a barn in Coarsegold , near Yosemite, since 1951, when it had been taken by the seller’s father in a mechanic’s lien. At some point there’d been a fire and the beautiful,old oak bed boards were burned; otherwise in good shape.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Other than jeans and smart-ass Ts, all my clothes come from thrift stores or second hand on ebay. Ok, I do buy India-made hippie tops new BUT, a major portion of my clothes, especially "business" clothing is from Goodwill or another thrift store. Hell, a lot of my decor is, as well. Which reminds me, a brand newly refurbished Goodwill opens up here on Wed. I'm boxing up a big donation to take. Fingers crossed I find some treasures. There's nothing like a brand new thrift store. I think they set aside the bestest for the Grand Openings. I've found some incredible vintage porcelain and chalk-ware, ashtrays and even lamps. I have about five of those liquor decantors that look like people, soldiers, pirates, Russian dancers. I even have a sea captain someone made into a lamp. $2. And if I can find tiki glasses, I'm in heaven. I'll pay almost any price for those.

But back to Fashion...

Back in the day, I teetered around on four-inch heals even at work. WTH was I thinking? Now living in FL it's sandals day in and out, except when a good pair of walking shoes are required. I'm all in on Crocs and
Sketchers. I don't care how ugly they are, my feet need the support.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:49 pm Other than jeans and smart-ass Ts, all my clothes come from thrift stores or second hand on ebay. Ok, I do buy India-made hippie tops new BUT, a major portion of my clothes, especially "business" clothing is from Goodwill or another thrift store. Hell, a lot of my decor is, as well. Which reminds me, a brand newly refurbished Goodwill opens up here on Wed. I'm boxing up a big donation to take. Fingers crossed I find some treasures. There's nothing like a brand new thrift store. I think they set aside the bestest for the Grand Openings. I've found some incredible vintage porcelain and chalk-ware, ashtrays and even lamps. I have about five of those liquor decantors that look like people, soldiers, pirates, Russian dancers. I even have a sea captain someone made into a lamp. $2. And if I can find tiki glasses, I'm in heaven. I'll pay almost any price for those.

But back to Fashion...

Back in the day, I teetered around on four-inch heals even at work. WTH was I thinking? Now living in FL it's sandals day in and out, except when a good pair of walking shoes are required. I'm all in on Crocs and
Sketchers. I don't care how ugly they are, my feet need the support.
johnpcapitalist

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:49 pm Other than jeans and smart-ass Ts, all my clothes come from thrift stores or second hand on ebay.
Even before Covid, I preferred not to spend up on clothes, but I still want to sport the Wall Street look, either formal or business casual. I'm a big fan of eBay and Poshmark for high-end used clothes. When I was on Wall Street, I used eBay for Hawaiian shirts and certain high end vintage designers I'm fond of.

I quickly figured out that eBay goes for something like 10 cents to 20 cents on the dollar versus new. With higher end stuff, you do sometimes have to worry about fakes. Occasionally there are quality problems as well, where stuff is not as advertised. I've had no more than 2% of the items I bought turn out bad, and if I don't discover the problem right away, I accept it as a part of the business model. I don't buy anything from outside North America (which includes the quaint, rural "Canada" region of upstate New York as well as the rest of the U.S.).

You do have to have some background in high-end designers to know what they do and don't actually make. Ralph Lauren polo shirts shipped direct from China are almost always fakes (easy: take a generic crappy polo destined for H&M and embroider a horsie on it). Some Tommy Bahama silk Hawaiian shirts can be fakes as well. Etro is another one that you have to watch carefully (one of the ones that burned me was a brand new fake Etro, which was a nice looking shirt, but as soon as I got it, discovered that the material was sub-par for a $400 shirt, but eBay intervened and I got a refund). I'm also starting to see some counterfeit Robert Graham shirts occasionally.

I'm also pretty careful on suits and sport coats; I've stayed away from Brioni because of the risk of fakes, but nobody is counterfeiting John W. Nordstrom cashmere sport coats, which are good quality and are a good price used. I'd probably stay away from Ralph Lauren suits sold new on eBay as well.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:44 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:49 pm Other than jeans and smart-ass Ts, all my clothes come from thrift stores or second hand on ebay.
Even before Covid, I preferred not to spend up on clothes, but I still want to sport the Wall Street look, either formal or business casual. I'm a big fan of eBay and Poshmark for high-end used clothes. When I was on Wall Street, I used eBay for Hawaiian shirts and certain high end vintage designers I'm fond of.

I've lucked out and found a few cool vintage Ricky Ricardo* shirts for Hubs at Goodwill.

*Linen guayaberas, one even had contrast embroidery. But I live in south FL.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Remember when I said there's nothing better than a big thrift store Grand Opening? Well, I was wrong.

The one thing that's better is a big thrift store Grand Opening as Halloween Season begins!!!

► Show Spoiler
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

My Sunday night ritual consists of pouring myself a glass of something nice while I sit down and polish my shoes. Tonight, I had to get to work on my two most serious "I came to kick ass and take names" courtroom lawyerin' shoes. I was reasonably pleased with the results.
Attachments
IMG_2897.jpg
IMG_2897.jpg (86.93 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

There was a time when I wore shoes like those. ;)

Still have a couple of pairs. My feet probably wouldn't fit in them now. :(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Well that was a surprise; the pair of shoes on the left prompted the memory of a scary schoolmaster from over 50 years ago. :o
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”