Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Fashion!

Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: Fashion!

Post by Phoenix520 »

I like the pair on the left. Wish I could get mr520 to wear fancy shoes.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

The pair on the right are Allen Edmonds McClennan wholecut oxfords from the experimental Wholecut Collection that AE did back in 2018 and then discontinued shortly thereafter for reasons passing understanding. If you look again, you'll notice the upper is one unbroken piece of leather with no seams except at the back of the heel where the two ends meet. (Yes, there is such a thing as seamless wholecuts, but those are only made by bespoke shoemakers who charge a small fortune for a pair.) Being a Wisconsin company, Allen Edmonds are kind of de rigueur for lawyers here.

The pair on the left are cap toes from Carmina Shoemaker in Spain. Some people whose opinions I respect had been raving about them for some time, so Mrs. FRP let me order a pair earlier this year, and I was curious to see if they lived up to the hype. The answer was an emphatic yes. They're definitely a step up in quality from my AEs. I'm already on maneuvers to acquire a pair of burgundy museum calf wholecut ankle boots from them that would look really fantastic with a navy suit. Sadly, that will have to wait until Mrs. FRP and I get moved into the new house next month.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Last century, I LOVED polishing my Dad's and brothers' shoes. I grew out of that. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

fierceredpanda wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:56 pm My Sunday night ritual consists of pouring myself a glass of something nice while I sit down and polish my shoes. Tonight, I had to get to work on my two most serious "I came to kick ass and take names" courtroom lawyerin' shoes. I was reasonably pleased with the results.
Respect.
► Show Spoiler
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

My flip flops are leather too, but I don't polish them.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

fierceredpanda wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:56 pm My Sunday night ritual consists of pouring myself a glass of something nice while I sit down and polish my shoes. Tonight, I had to get to work on my two most serious "I came to kick ass and take names" courtroom lawyerin' shoes. I was reasonably pleased with the results.
They look great!
Of course my old first shirt would have said, "What the hell did you use on those shoes a Hershey bar and a Brillo pad?"
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Edited to add… this was at the Met Gala.
Tiredretiredlawyer

:clap:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I like it. The gal in red is a little early for Halloween, but she pulls it off.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

FRP, i really do know my right from my left. I meant to say the pair on the right, the AE. I really like the seamless upper.

ETA: In jr high we had uniforms. Our Sunday ritual was to sit down in front of Walt Disney, polish our white shoes, and go to bed. I still remember the flush of pride when Mr. Robinson would nod ‘good job’.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Ugh.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:02 pm Ugh.
Combo of Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek Vish design, minus any tailoring. Paging fierceredpanda…
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Uggh indeed. Those pants are an abomination!

I’ve always believed he wears his like that to give the impression his penis is so big he needs extra room. Do you think he bought a toilet from Matthew Whitaker before he hired him?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Paging FRP, paging Fierce Red Panda. Fashion alert!!!!

I would not have an issue with the top riding up. That is where we get the Picard Maneuver. That is not the one where he outsmarted the Ferengi. The true Picard Maneuver is when he tugs on his shirt/jacket to straighten it. Riker picked up the same habit.

101010 :towel:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

That ill fitting shirt must have drove him nuts the way it kept bunching up. Gary Oldman had a thing or two to say about his costume wearing HIM! He was pretty disgusted with that crazy piece of art he required to wear in the opening sequence of the movie Dracula.

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.thezoereport.com/culture/20 ... hion-looks

My pick:
e2a8708e-4111-41d0-b2e0-39ab0a419a4c-getty-1353254661.jpg
e2a8708e-4111-41d0-b2e0-39ab0a419a4c-getty-1353254661.jpg (305.62 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
AND her wedding dress:

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

For reasons I cannot quite figure out, the color is not working for me. It may be the backdrop. Maybe it is getting lost a bit with that background.

I am a bit more partial to this one (not that I have a clue about women's fashion). Not sure why.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I like the one originally posted a lot, but I like the one by Nicole Richie more. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Wow, if you wear that you have to be really careful eating gravy, I reckon. Or soup. :lol:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Thank you for posting that tiredretiredlawyer. I agree with your fashion choice. That gown was gorgeous and so was she even though I have never heard of Jasmine Tookes. I am also happy to see that some designers are still creating garments with Fortuny style pleats which I thought was a technique that had been lost. Some of the celebs (cough--Kate Hudson) should not have gone out in public with their looks.

I am also a tiredretiredlawyer but I will never give up on fashion! My boss said at my retirement party that she could always tell what was in style by what I was wearing.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Oh, more fun! trl, I’m getting picky in my dotage. I like parts of most couture - the top and color of the dress you posted,for example, but not the skirt. It’s too narrow for my taste

Same with the white gauzy gown Chriselle Lin was wearing. I like it all except for the caterpillar crawling over her shoulder.

The Prada that Northland kinda likes could use a fuller skirt and a cinched waist.

Ciara, OTOH, looks like a scary sea creature. I like none if that one.
Scrolling down…

I really like Cindy Crawford’s bias-cut slinky, sparkly chevron striped dress at the InStyle affair.
(I can’t copy the photos. )
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperi ... s-fashion/
Fifty years of Jeans Fashion
From leisure suits to low-rise cuts, a brief history of the all-American fabric

For a long time, “fashion” had nothing to do with it. Even before the Industrial Revolution, laborers from around the globe–farmhands, builders, miners–often wore some kind of homespun denim workwear. But by the latter part of the 19th century, blue jeans were poised to become a core product of American mass manufacturing as they rolled out of the same factories operated by the working-class people who wore them.

It wasn’t until the first half of the 20th century that blue jeans brands–among them Lee, founded by a hardware store owner in Kansas; Blue Bell, the North Carolina overall company that would remake itself as Wrangler; and, of course, San Francisco’s Levi Strauss & Co., which began producing blue jeans in the 1870s–began to understand that their work pants appealed to many customers for their adaptability beyond the workplace. Well-to-do vacationers discovered denim trousers during their therapeutic visits to the “dude ranches” of the not-so-Wild West. Parents, inspired by the Western movies that dominated at the box office during Hollywood’s early decades, began to dress their young boys in cowboy outfits. And women took to wearing the oversized jeans that belonged to their boyfriends, creating a casual style that still exists today.

But it was the rise of a new American demographic–the “teenager”–that would button up the classic blue jean’s place in popular culture. With the growing middle-class prosperity that followed World War II, more school-aged adolescents and young adults were free to earn their own money, drive their own cars and find their own pastimes. They were the audience for the hybrid new music called rock ‘n’ roll, and for the angst-driven films about young rebellion that began to appear on movie screens across the country. Those kids helped refashion the uniform of the country’s working class into a blank canvas for self-expression that every subsequent generation has adopted as its own.
jeans-grateful_dead_1970_wiki.jpg__800x420_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg
jeans-grateful_dead_1970_wiki.jpg__800x420_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg (107.48 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
There are pics for each decade beginning with the 50's. I posted the Grateful Dead for all of you fans.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Interesting. Low-rise jeans are almost no one's friend.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Fashion gurus:

The appropriate attire for cataract surgery is a short sleeved t-shirt or open neck blouse/shirt and long woolie underoos. :whistle:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yes, and leave the wraparound shades at home, you betcha! :banana:
Out from under. :thumbsup:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”