Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Fashion!

MN-Skeptic

Fashion!

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Fashion!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Iris Elba :daydreaming:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Fashion!

Post by Foggy »

Never heard of Bad Bunny before.

I think her name is Idris. :confuzzled:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Fashion!

The Met Gala is my way of keeping up with "who is the who" as my then toddler nephew said.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by Slim Cognito »

I get that over the top outfits for the met gala etc are about making a statement and being remembered, but what I’d give to see a beautiful vintage Edith Head gown. (sigh) Most of these outfits just made me shake my head.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Annrc
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by Annrc »

Unbelievable! Fantasy?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

This year's theme was a tribute to Karl Lagerfield, who was rather controversial because he was, from what I can tell, a pretty serious asshole. He was very clear about hating the color pink among other things, and apparently, quite a few attendees showed up in pink outfits. ]:->

ETA: He also hated men wearing long socks and showing leg hair, hence Pedro Pascal's interesting look :) (It's near the top of the gallery at the link above.)
MN-Skeptic

Fashion!

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I don't pay attention to people of fashion, so I had no clue who Karl Lagerfeld was, but Jezebel has an article about the Met Gala with a few comments about Lagerfeld -

Met Gala 2023 Red Carpet: An Eye-Popping Tribute to a Bad Man
Tonight, Anna Wintour has decided to honor the legacy of her good friend, a man who once said, “If you don’t want your pants pulled about, don’t become a model”: Karl Lagerfeld. While I have no illusions about the integrity of fashion’s blue bloods, it’s still disheartening for this year’s theme to be “Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty.” Perhaps, though, in the sense that the bigoted, fatphobic, and sexist late Chanel creative director found anyone with a frame thicker than a straight line to be unworthy of fashion, it’s an apt phrase.
One way I’m choosing to look at it is that Lagerfeld would be miserable seeing people larger than a size 0 (he once said Heidi Klum was “too heavy and has too big a bust”) wearing Chanel at an event in his name. It’s nice to think of him being a little bit annoyed at any semblance of body positivity, wherever he is now. (Hell?)
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

What a charmer... :sick:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Fashion!

Post by Foggy »

Some of those ladies needed a stepladder to get into the shoes. :shock:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Fashion!

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:03 pm I don't pay attention to people of fashion, so I had no clue who Karl Lagerfeld was, but Jezebel has an article about the Met Gala with a few comments about Lagerfeld -
Thanks for the info about Karl Lagerfeld. I didn't know about him either.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by Phoenix520 »

I like the fantasy of the Met Gala couture. It’s not practical, you probably wouldn’t wear it to the Oscars but here you can be an alien (Lil NazX) or wear shirts and long socks and a red coat (Pedro Pascal) or just stand there looking stunning (Lizzo in Chanel would have killed Lagerfeld :biggrin: )

Those are my faves this year. Lizzo looks great. :lovestruck:

ETA I’m a Lizzo fan. Can you tell?
RVInit

Fashion!

Post by RVInit »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:16 am I like the fantasy of the Met Gala couture. It’s not practical, you probably wouldn’t wear it to the Oscars but here you can be an alien (Lil NazX) or wear shirts and long socks and a red coat (Pedro Pascal) or just stand there looking stunning (Lizzo in Chanel would have killed Lagerfeld :biggrin: )

Those are my faves this year. Lizzo looks great. :lovestruck:

ETA I’m a Lizzo fan. Can you tell?
That is too funny - my favorite fashions from the Met Gala are Pedro Pascal and Lizzo. I also thought Lizzo looked amazing in her black with dripping pearls. And Pedro's outfit was just too much fun, I loved it.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Fashion!

Post by bill_g »

I think it was wonderful so many women came ready to keep the floors immaculate. And all those men with gloves on - clearly they were ready to work. Quite a few of the outfits beg the question "Did it come with a sweater?" while others ask "Where do you carry the portable air conditioner?"
MN-Skeptic

Fashion!

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by Slim Cognito »

That’s what I’m talking about.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer

Fashion!

Yes! Yes! Yes! :biggrin:
Chilidog

Fashion!

Post by Chilidog »

I'll just drop this here

Enjoy
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by Slim Cognito »

Didn't see all the photos, but I liked what I saw.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by Phoenix520 »

I went and joined the Fb group! Thank you chili! I loved this so much. Elder steam punk!

Some of those faces are amazingly beautiful. :lovestruck:
Chilidog

Fashion!

Post by Chilidog »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:18 pm I went and joined the Fb group! Thank you chili! I loved this so much. Elder steam punk!

Some of those faces are amazingly beautiful. :lovestruck:
I think there is a blend of AI and Photoshop here, but the images are stiking
Tiredretiredlawyer

Fashion!

https://mymodernmet.com/tiktoker-sewing ... s-designs/
Woman Creates Outfits Using 1940s Illustrations Drawn by Her Grandma Who Dropped Out of Fashion School

ATikToker named Julia is making her grandmother’s dreams come true. When visiting her grandma Georgie in January 2021, Julia began looking through sketches of dresses that Georgie designed when she was a teenager. Julia’s grandmother, it turns out, had wanted to be a fashion designer. She even attended school for it in the 1940s but was forced to drop out to care for ailing family members. Her designs stayed on paper for decades until her granddaughter came across them.

“I knew grandma was talented, but I was like, wow, these are really much better than what I was envisioning in my head,” Julia said. “And she mentioned that when she dies, she wanted them to get sent out to magazines or displayed at her funeral.”

But Julia didn’t see why they had to wait to experience her grandmother’s creativity. She posted the sketches on TikTok, briefly sharing Georgie's story. The video went viral, and Julia started to learn basic sewing skills to make the designs a reality.

Using material leftover from her grandmother’s collection of vintage fabrics as well as thrifted materials, Julia has sewn many of the garments Georgie envisioned. She notes that she doesn’t always follow her “grandma sketch,” as what looks good on paper might not translate onto the body. “Grandma encourages that,” Julia explains.

This ongoing intergenerational collaboration has led to a captivating—and extremely popular—TikTok series in which Julia shows Georgie what she’s created. It’s also sparked sweet conversations between the two of them, which are shared on video. And in one of the greatest moments of the project so far, Julia even got to debut the designs at New York Fashion Week 2023. (Georgie couldn’t attend, but she watched the live stream.)
TikTok dress videos are in the article.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by Slim Cognito »

Cool!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Fashion!

Post by AndyinPA »

I used to do the same thing as a teenager. Not like that!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Fashion!

Post by Foggy »

Have you seen Sugar Magnolia's creations using Target shopping bags (I kid you not)? :shock:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”