Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Women's History

RVInit

Re: Women's History

Post by RVInit »

Here is another woman scientist to admire and show our daughters and granddaughters "see, you can do that, too!"

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:54 am
p0rtia wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:06 am
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:59 am

I understand how they are using Earth 2 these days, but I think patriarchy has been around on Earth (1) for a long time. ;)
I'm up on my E1 patriarchy, but my E1 dictionary still says that being called a trophy wife is an insult and has been since it was first used. Exactly because of the patriarchy on E1. Yes/no?

Perhaps my syntax was confusing. I'm actually curious to know if you truly think it's a compliment to call a woman a trophy wife, and if so, where you picked that definition up?

(On a related note: One of the linguistic highlights of the MAGA/Faux News crowd is the way they reverse otherwise butcher the perceived meaning of words (and not in the normal way in which as times passes, meanings change). It helps sustain their delusion.)
The comment was meant as snark on patriarchy, not on a trophy wife, which I would never consider okay.
Thanks! I see I have been too literal. Again. :heart: :bag:
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

p0rtia wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:06 am
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:59 am
p0rtia wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:57 am

It's a good thing now to be called a trophy wife on Earth 1? Hm. I must live in an ivory tower.
I understand how they are using Earth 2 these days, but I think patriarchy has been around on Earth (1) for a long time. ;)
I'm up on my E1 patriarchy, but my E1 dictionary still says that being called a trophy wife is an insult and has been since it was first used. Exactly because of the patriarchy on E1. Yes/no?

Perhaps my syntax was confusing. I'm actually curious to know if you truly think it's a compliment to call a woman a trophy wife, and if so, where you picked that definition up?

(On a related note: One of the linguistic highlights of the MAGA/Faux News crowd is the way they reverse otherwise butcher the perceived meaning of words (and not in the normal way in which as times passes, meanings change). It helps sustain their delusion.)
To me it depends on why he married her and why she married him. Donald puts his wife on display because of what she looks like on the outside and she seems to wish to be displayed that way. In this case I'd say that trophy wife is an insult against both of them.
Il factotum
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

COOOOOOLLLL!!!!!!!!!! A shark scientist with a vagina!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:13 am COOOOOOLLLL!!!!!!!!!! A shark scientist with a vagina!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:
Fannie Longfellow, huh? I'm gonna have to check her out.

As I did with Black History Month, I'm trying to read up on a pioneer every day and write a short summary on Facebook.

I use Facebook as a journal more than a way to interact socially with long-distance friends. Years ago I was concerned about my memory loss and my doctor asked me if I liked to read. I told her I was a news junkie and she told me, after reading my morning news, to write down what I'd read, like a book report, and that it would help kickstart the part of my brain that handles memory.

By George, she was right. I've done it ever since, much to the chagrin of many of my (former) Facebook friends. But I'm feeling much better now.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

What happened to calling it herstory? :confuzzled:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Interview with three women in sports: I'm not a sports fan, but trying to post a nice cross section of women leaders in various professions. As a woman in a male dominated industry, I am particularly aware of how hard it is to break into, be taken seriously, and excel, in male dominated professions. Kudos to all of these women.

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Hey, Tucker Carlson, this one is just for you :girlbutt:

--Colin Kaepernick
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Over in the Arts and Crafts thread, I posted I was making a Kamala Harris rag doll (I have several celebrity rag dolls I've made over the past few years, including RBG and Albert Einstein). I always include a prop but didn't know what would be appropriate in this case. Sugar suggested a shard of broken glass from the ceiling she just smashed.

So I picked up a miniature Easter basket, removed the eggs, and hot glued shards of nice, smooth sea glass and a little hammer I found on a keychain.

I put it behind the spoiler because it's so large on my monitor, despite having reduced it.
► Show Spoiler
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Absolutely wonderful! :lovestruck:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

It's perfect!

Do you take orders?
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

OMG, that's SO COOL. :lovestruck:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Love it!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Lani wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:53 pm It's perfect!

Do you take orders?
I'm sorry to say I don't. I don't have any wholesale contacts so they're kind of expensive and I'm unhappy with her jacket (there's a bunch of stuff going on behind her out of sight of the camera) But if you have any sewing/crafting skills, I'd be happy to paint a doll*, draw her face and send her to you along with some glass shards, if you want them. I got the wig and sneakers on, I think, ebay and ordered the clothing from etsy. The hammer is from a keychain I found on Amazon.

*It's a white muslin doll so I painted her face, neck, chest and arms to get the appropriate skin tone.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

zekeb wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:47 pm To me it depends on why he married her and why she married him. Donald puts his wife on display because of what she looks like on the outside and she seems to wish to be displayed that way. In this case I'd say that trophy wife is an insult against both of them.
While the phrase "trophy wife" has always had a pejorative connotation, I found the pastor's commentary about women who cannot meet the (irony warning) most excellent standard set by Melania Trump as possibly being "participation trophies" offensive in a new and different way.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:29 am Love it!!!!
:clap: :lovestruck:
--Colin Kaepernick
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:51 am Grace O'Malley - Pirate Queen

https://www.historicmysteries.com/grace-omalley/
OK, very cool lady. Yowza.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180977171/
Up until the 1500s, brewing was primarily women’s work—that is, until a smear campaign accused women brewers of being witches. Much of the iconography we associate with witches today, from the pointy hat to the broom, may have emerged from their connection to female brewers.… From the Stone Age to the 1700s, ale – and, later, beer – was a household staple for most families in England and other parts of Europe. The drink was an inexpensive way to consume and preserve grains. For the working class, beer provided an important source of nutrients, full of carbohydrates and proteins. Because the beverage was such a common part of the average person’s diet, fermenting was, for many women, one of their normal household tasks.
More at the link
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Frith
England's First Professional Female Thief - she died of natural causes.
First Actress - she was arrested on the Fortune stage for "singing bawdy songs and telling lascivious stories
She was the focal character of two plays during her lifetime, making her the FIRST media star male or female.

John Donne wrote her epitaph
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:04 am
Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:51 am Grace O'Malley - Pirate Queen

https://www.historicmysteries.com/grace-omalley/
OK, very cool lady. Yowza.
The Boubil/Schonberg musical on her, unfortunately, did not do so well. It was more Les Miz/Miss Saigon meets Riverdance than a new fresh work (full disclosure, I saw it during the Chicago tryouts). Stephanie Block did quite well and Linda Balgord's Queen Elizabeth was great.

I do wonder if community theater presentations of this will get some more play now. It should work fine there.
101010 :towel:
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

A tribute to one of the best race drivers ever, Sabine Schmitz, who passed away from cancer way too soon:

RVInit

Women's History

Post by RVInit »

Another post about another superwoman.

--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”