Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Alex Jones - Alexander Emerick Jones "I’m so sick of fu*king Tr*mp*"

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
p0rtia

Re: Alex Jones - Alexander Emerick Jones "I’m so sick of fu*king Tr*mp*"

Post by p0rtia »

Plaintiffs asked for 150 mil

4.1 mil, which is what the court reporters are saying, sounds like an insult.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:39 pm Plaintiffs asked for 150 mil

:yeahthat:

I'm hoping the punitive comes in high. Jones' cash machine is reportedly producing $800k/day, I mean, he doesn't see all of that, but $4M is getting off easy imo.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Let’s hope punitive is high enough - as $4-5M is just a minor cost of business to Jones.

Also hope costs are awarded against Jones.
Dave from down under

And sanctions
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Alex Jones & Infowars were spanked hard. #AlexJones' $4.1 million verdict is actual damages. Tomorrow the jury can decide a multiple (like 10X) for punitive damages. Then there are two more cases he lost already. The jury knows there are a lot of people who are going to get paid.

Alex Verdict.JPG
Alex Verdict.JPG (76.99 KiB) Viewed 1055 times

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

This is where ya have to remember the kindergarten lesson about sharing.

There are other cases where Jones has lost by default, gotta leave something for those parents.

Tomorrow is the punitive damages part.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

The comments referring to a maximum limit for punitive damages of 10x compensatory damages are a rough summary of federal constitutional law concerning punitive damages

It appears that a Texas statute restricts punitive damages to 2x compensatory damages. The statute also provides that a jury verdict awarding punitive damages must be based on a unanimous jury vote in favor of the award.

Edit: Plus the statute appears to cap any punitive award at $750k? Not sure about that.
raison de arizona

Greatgrey wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:20 pm

This is where ya have to remember the kindergarten lesson about sharing.

There are other cases where Jones has lost by default, gotta leave something for those parents.

Tomorrow is the punitive damages part.
https://twitter.com/dansolomon/status/1 ... 5715451904
Sweet. Carve him up like a Thanksgiving turkey. Everybunny gets a slice.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Whoops, accidentally posted this in the Roger Stone thread earlier, belongs here.
Exclusive: The Truth About the Alex Jones Phone Records
Emergency protective order reveals emails showing lawyers not given approval to use material in court as it would violate attorney client privilege.

An emergency protective order motion has been filed in the Alex Jones case relating to claims in court that lawyers had inadvertently obtained years worth of Jones’ phone records, with emails showing Plaintiffs had not been given approval to use the material in court as it would violate attorney client privilege.
:snippity:
However, according to an Emergency Motion for Enforcement of Protective Order filed by Jones’ lawyers, they did not given permission for the files, which only span a 6 month period from the end of 2019 through early 2020 and do not represent “an entire digital copy” of the cellphone, to be entered into evidence in court.

“The file transfer link, however, inadvertently gave Plaintiffs access to dozens of other folders as well, including confidential documents, such as the medical records of Sandy Hook Parents who are Plaintiffs in the Connecticut litigation and other documents subject to various privileges, including attorney-client and work product,” states the motion.

An email shows that the issue was raised by Bankston, who told Jones’ attorneys in an email that the files contained “confidential information.”

“My assumption is now that you did not intend to send us this? Let me know if I’m correct,” he enquired.

Bankston was told by Jones’ attorney F. Andino Reynal to “disregard the link.”
:snippity:
https://summit.news/2022/08/04/exclusiv ... e-records/

Moar including email images at link.
Dave from down under

He sounded so sad for Jones situation

:lol:
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

chancery wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:28 pm The comments referring to a maximum limit for punitive damages of 10x compensatory damages are a rough summary of federal constitutional law concerning punitive damages

It appears that a Texas statute restricts punitive damages to 2x compensatory damages. The statute also provides that a jury verdict awarding punitive damages must be based on a unanimous jury vote in favor of the award.

Edit: Plus the statute appears to cap any punitive award at $750k? Not sure about that.
Here's the statute:
Sec. 41.008. LIMITATION ON AMOUNT OF RECOVERY. (a) In an action in which a claimant seeks recovery of damages, the trier of fact shall determine the amount of economic damages separately from the amount of other compensatory damages.

(b) Exemplary damages awarded against a defendant may not exceed an amount equal to the greater of:

(1)(A) two times the amount of economic damages; plus

(B) an amount equal to any noneconomic damages found by the jury, not to exceed $750,000; or

(2) $200,000.
Economic damages are out-of-pocket pecuniary loss.

Noneconomic damages are pain and suffering, and the like.*

So, in this case, the jury can award punitive damages in an amount equal to the noneconomic damages, but not more than $750k.

And the jury can also award punitive damages in an amount that's no more than twice the economic damages.

But it appears that the entire $4.1 million compensatory verdict was for noneconomic damages. If that's correct, and if I'm reading the statute correctly, the maximum punitive verdict would be $750,000.

Too bad. Wonder what the law is in Connecticut.

(12) "Noneconomic damages" means damages awarded for the purpose of compensating a claimant for physical pain and suffering, mental or emotional pain or anguish, loss of consortium, disfigurement, physical impairment, loss of companionship and society, inconvenience, loss of enjoyment of life, injury to reputation, and all other nonpecuniary losses of any kind other than exemplary damages."
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

FB_IMG_1659655444142.jpg
FB_IMG_1659655444142.jpg (31.35 KiB) Viewed 980 times
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

chancery wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:50 pm But it appears that the entire $4.1 million compensatory verdict was for noneconomic damages. If that's correct, and if I'm reading the statute correctly, the maximum punitive verdict would be $750,000.
However, there is a chance of $750,000 x 4, since apparently there can be a separate punitive award against each plaintiff:

Possibly relevant case? My understanding is that according to the Supreme Court, statutory limits on exemplary damages are to be considered per defendant, of which there are 4 in this case: Alex Jones, Free Speech Systems LLC, Infowars LLC, and Owen Shroyer
There's still the problem of unanimity. Two jurors did not join the compensatory verdict (ordinary civil verdicts don't have to be unanimous in Texas). Although it's possible that the dissenting jurors' objection was that the verdict wasn't high enough, some observers believe that one juror has given off bad vibes through proposed questions to witnesses.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

On CNN at 8:09pm, Paul Callan https://twitter.com/PaulCallan "CNN Legal Analyst, trial attorney, former NYC homicide prosecutor, & of counsel to Edelman & Edelman, PC http://edelmanpclaw.com" said the jury can award any punitive damage amount that they want. He said that on the appellate level, they will look into the multiples from the actual damages on the punitive. We'll see. :shrug:
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
raison de arizona

That's not exactly an unusual pattern, is it? Seems like I've heard this one before. Jury awards bigly $$$, reduced on appeal to $.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Even if (when) the award is reduced on appeal, I hope the jury hits Jones with a whopping punitive award as it will make headlines and cause all the usual RW nutbags to cry bitter tears.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

orlylicious wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:11 pm On CNN at 8:09pm, Paul Callan https://twitter.com/PaulCallan "CNN Legal Analyst, trial attorney, former NYC homicide prosecutor, & of counsel to Edelman & Edelman, PC http://edelmanpclaw.com" said the jury can award any punitive damage amount that they want. He said that on the appellate level, they will look into the multiples from the actual damages on the punitive. We'll see. :shrug:
Callan isn't a Texas lawyer and apparently is uninformed about the Texas statutory limit.

He is correct in the unimportant sense that the jury will not be told about the statutory limit, and the trial court will, if necessary, trim the jury's punitive award to comply with the limit. And even an award that complies with the limit is subject to reduction on various grounds on appeal.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Bankston said today in an interview that he hoped to see punitive damages in the nine figures range.

I imagine he knows what the limitations are. Or aren't.

I think that's the most wishful of thinking, given today's puny awards.
raison de arizona

For a little completeness.

Luke

Post by Luke »

chancery wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:37 pm
orlylicious wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:11 pm On CNN at 8:09pm, Paul Callan https://twitter.com/PaulCallan "CNN Legal Analyst, trial attorney, former NYC homicide prosecutor, & of counsel to Edelman & Edelman, PC http://edelmanpclaw.com" said the jury can award any punitive damage amount that they want. He said that on the appellate level, they will look into the multiples from the actual damages on the punitive. We'll see. :shrug:
Callan isn't a Texas lawyer and apparently is uninformed about the Texas statutory limit.

He is correct in the unimportant sense that the jury will not be told about the statutory limit, and the trial court will, if necessary, trim the jury's punitive award to comply with the limit. And even an award that complies with the limit is subject to reduction on various grounds on appeal.
Absolutely, Chancery. Just posted it since Callan said it and there seems to be a range of thought on what's possible. The more the better.

Here's the disgusting response from Alex calling the damages "a win for truth" and begging for more money. 7 minutes. It's on banned.video, that loads a lot more easily than infowars, my blockers go crazy there but the banned.video site loads like Rumble. This is where you can find all his garbage.

BREAKING EXCLUSIVE! Alex Jones Responds To $4.2 Million Sandy Hook Verdict
https://banned.video/watch?id=62ec4ff4b9d5f049268aa272

Here's his 30-minute show. From about 4 minutes in he gets into the text messages and the phone mess.
EXCLUSIVE: Alex Jones Responds to What Really Happened With His Phone
64,005 views Aug 4, 2022
https://banned.video/watch?id=62ec03e7d8553e45f7803b3c
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:47 pm Bankston said today in an interview that he hoped to see punitive damages in the nine figures range.

Yeah, Bankston is certainly an experienced Texas tort lawyer. In an interview that I found just now, he talked about a possible $50 million dollar punitive damages award. That's puzzling to me.

IANAtexasL. However, the statute seems pretty clear, and I haven't seen anything to suggest that defamation actions are exempt from the Texas statutory cap. I did find a CLE outline on defamation damages under Texas law that specifically said that the cap _does_ apply. https://www.jw.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... ent....pdf (see p.11) An outline for teaching a CLE course is admittedly not an authoritative pronouncement on Texas law, but it was published by a large law firm. Lawyers who teach those courses do so to promote their expertise, and typically they take care not to publish anything with bonehead misstatements of basic principles. And competent lawyers who I follow on twitter seem to agree that the cap does apply..

So I don't know what to think about Bankston's interview, but I wouldn't rely on it to guide our expectations for a really big award.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:28 pm Sweet. Carve him up like a Thanksgiving turkey. Everybunny gets a slice.
I am assuming -- and I am sure one of our Fogbow IAALs will correct if I am wrong -- that even if these other trials from other parents take place in other jurisdictions, the findings against him in this case and the on-the-record nature of his, um, less-than-faithful relationship with the truth will be considered established fact and easier to litigate.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:47 pm Bankston said today in an interview that he hoped to see punitive damages in the nine figures range.

I took it as "the jury assumed they could award less on actual damages since the real damages should be punitive in their minds." But I'm a damned optimist, still.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

DC4CB52A-B52D-4499-8FD0-2F6F8BAA3D50.jpeg
DC4CB52A-B52D-4499-8FD0-2F6F8BAA3D50.jpeg (89.81 KiB) Viewed 739 times
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

chancery wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:50 pm
Here's the statute:
Sec. 41.008. LIMITATION ON AMOUNT OF RECOVERY. (a) In an action in which a claimant seeks recovery of damages, the trier of fact shall determine the amount of economic damages separately from the amount of other compensatory damages.

(b) Exemplary damages awarded against a defendant may not exceed an amount equal to the greater of:

(1)(A) two times the amount of economic damages; plus

(B) an amount equal to any noneconomic damages found by the jury, not to exceed $750,000; or

(2) $200,000.
Economic damages are out-of-pocket pecuniary loss.

Noneconomic damages are pain and suffering, and the like.*

So, in this case, the jury can award punitive damages in an amount equal to the noneconomic damages, but not more than $750k.

And the jury can also award punitive damages in an amount that's no more than twice the economic damages.

But it appears that the entire $4.1 million compensatory verdict was for noneconomic damages. If that's correct, and if I'm reading the statute correctly, the maximum punitive verdict would be $750,000.
G
Too bad. Wonder what the law is in Connecticut.
I read that as :
1A - 2 times the economic damages (2 x 4.1= 8.2 million)

PLUS

1B - a noneconomic amount less than or equal to 750k

So $8,200,000 + 750,000 = $8,950,000.

The 4.1 million was compensatory, ie economic. The 1B amount is for pain & suffering.

And the cap can be waived in certain circumstances, a fatal DUI crash for example.

We need Texas Filly to weigh in
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

Return to “Other weirdos”