Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Alex Jones - Alexander Emerick Jones "I’m so sick of fu*king Tr*mp*"

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

orlylicious wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:39 pm Norm Pattis and the insufferable Robert Barnes are on live with Alex right now. Norm is "terribly upset" that Alex is "being held to a standard of perfection that's unattainable". He's so sad they couldn't SLAPP. We all need to get our tiny violins out. It's actually an interesting segment... Jones and Barnes are useless, but Norm is bewildered that he's a laughingstock.
"Don't lie" is an unattainable goal?

I suppose that for him, it is. I'm not sure that he is capable of telling the truth. He has not shown any such ability, as yet.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

noblepa wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:47 pm "Don't lie" is an unattainable goal?

I suppose that for him, it is. I'm not sure that he is capable of telling the truth. He has not shown any such ability, as yet.
Jones went far beyond mere lying. He sicced his flying monkeys on grieving families. Repeatedly.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I had not seen this until it came up on Twitter today and I looked for an article. There’s more.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/alex-jon ... 0e60724b9f
One person who sent a letter to Mark and Jackie Barden, whose 7-year-old son Daniel was killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, claimed to have urinated on the child’s grave. In another letter, someone threatened to dig up Daniel’s grave to prove he didn’t exist, his parents testified in Jones’ trial on Tuesday.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Alex Broke-Ass Jones and Penny Jars will be his future.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

D208A1CA-3ACA-4C1B-B4C4-493F628C16EA.jpeg
D208A1CA-3ACA-4C1B-B4C4-493F628C16EA.jpeg (234.87 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
woodworker

Post by woodworker »

IMHO, a few thoughts:
First, the verdict will be largely, if not completely, upheld on appeal. Although defaults are disfavored, Jones so badly shit the bed that an appeals court should say no to him.
Second, none of the individual awards to each plaintiff so shock the conscience that they should be reversed by the appellate court. And as I understand it, Connecticut law provides a great deal of protection for compensatory damages award.
Third, I would expect the appeals court to handle any appeals most expeditiously -- Jone's legal antics were, and are, repugnant.
Fourth, forensic accountants are actually pretty good at tracking down assets.
Fifth, I suspect that Jones was, and is, so arrogant and believed himself untouchable that aside from a few recent attempts at hiding assets, he hasn't really done much to protect himself.
Six, I don't believe Jones is smart enough to effectively hide his assets.
Seventh, I don't believe BK or BK court will bail him out here -- truly egregious and intentional behavior has a way of pissing off BK judges and it is important to note that BK court is a court of equity, and to get equity you must do equity -- you must come to the court with clean hands. Here, Jones is bragging about how he intends to use BK to screw over legitimate creditors -- that is not coming to the court with clean hands.
Conclusion -- the verdict will be upheld, Jones is fucked and we should all do the happy dance.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

My worry is not that he's smart, but that he will hire smart people to hide his assets. If he does, maybe they'll rip him off too also. :mrgreen:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

I guess I have watched too many episodes of "American Greed." (I love that show!!)

A lot of the fraudsters have squirreled away funds in all sorts of places that law enforcement cannot reach or find. Forensic accountants do a helluva job in their pursuits, but sometimes what they uncover is in safe havens or has mysteriously disappeared without a trace.

There was a recent episode on two Armenian brothers and their wives who scammed the PPP program during COVID for tens of millions, buying luxurious homes in the San Fernando Valley, expensive watches, and pricey automobiles. They were caught, tried, and convicted of multiple counts of wire fraud among others. The stupid trial judge released them to home confinement with ankle monitors before sentencing. (One of them had a previous conviction for fraud about 12 years earlier.) They flew the coop about a month later. (One of the wives fled with a suitcase that she ditched as she was running. It contained $480,000.) An international search revealed that they had settled in Montenegro living a lavish lifestyle with no visible means of support. They are incarcerated in Montenegro after being arrested on false identity papers awaiting trial. Extradition is unknown as of February 2022. But I digress. . . .

Even if bankruptcy and other means manage to disgorge many millions of dollars from Jones, I betcha a dollar to a doughnut that he has assets somewhere that he has siphoned off years ago, beyond the scope of any investigation, that he can use to his heart's content. What needs to happen is to have a trustee appointed to receive all funds paid to him or his Infowars enterprises before they are deposited into his personal or business accounts, like a wage garnishment. The trustee will take the lion's share for the plaintiffs, retain some for income taxes, and forward the rest to AEJ.

But I doubt that this sort of arrangement exists in real life.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Alex Jones seeks new trial after $965 million verdict in Sandy Hook lawsuit

Nation Oct 22, 2022 3:00 PM EDT

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has asked a Connecticut judge to throw out a nearly $1 billion verdict against him and order a new trial in a lawsuit by Sandy Hook families, who say they were subjected to harassment and threats from Jones’ lies about the 2012 Newtown school shooting.

Jones filed the requests Friday, saying Judge Barbara Bellis’ pretrial rulings resulted in an unfair trial and “a substantial miscarriage of justice.”

“Additionally, the amount of the compensatory damages award exceeds any rational relationship to the evidence offered at trial,” Jones’ lawyers, Norm Pattis and Kevin Smith, wrote in the motion.

Christopher Mattei, a lawyer for the 15 plaintiffs in the lawsuit against Jones, declined to comment on the filing Saturday, but said he and other attorneys for the Sandy Hook families will be filing a brief opposing Jones’ request.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/ale ... ok-lawsuit
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Colin
@Kolyin
Jones has moved for remittitur (asking the judge to reduce the jury's nearly $1 billion award), and I don't think I've ever seen someone leave search term highlights and hyperlinks in the doc like this. The link isn't even a live hyperlink, just blue and underlined.
tek

Post by tek »

Pretty sure his lawyers know they ain't gettin' paid for anything from here on out.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

tek wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:23 pm Pretty sure his lawyers know they ain't gettin' paid for anything from here on out.
Which begs the question: Does he have a right to an attorney in bankrupcty court if they no longer wish to represent him for fear of becoming creditors?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

No.

But bankruptcy court has its ways of making sure that lawyers are always paid.
somerset

Post by somerset »

chancery wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:00 pm No.

Beyond "cash up front," what else?
(my only experience with a bankruptcy court was BKing a small, dormant S-corp I owned as a way of shutting down some stupid litigation. I'd imagine things are a bit different when several more zeros are involved).
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

somerset wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:45 pm
chancery wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:00 pm No.

Beyond "cash up front," what else?
(my only experience with a bankruptcy court was BKing a small, dormant S-corp I owned as a way of shutting down some stupid litigation. I'd imagine things are a bit different when several more zeros are involved).
Well, think about it.

Who do you think is running the bankruptcy courts? Auto mechanics? Fishermen?

Lawyers, that's who - and they will be sure to make sure they get paid to do the job first.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

These are punitive damages imposed on top of the $1B.
Alex Jones Ordered to Pay $473M More to Sandy Hook Families
Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and his company have been ordered to pay an extra $473 million to families and an FBI agent for calling the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting a hoax.
https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles ... k-families
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:groupdance:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

And punitive damages are not dischargeable in bankruptcy. So sad, Alex.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’d say this is a chilling result for any jones wannabe. While it takes forfuckingever, there is punishment for ruining lives for fun and profit.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

:yeahthat:
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

One wonders: Did Jones start to squirrel away money in offshore accounts or transact fraudulent conveyances well before the trial started to get under way?

So, while he claims that there ain't no money, there really is money, perhaps lots of money, that is not visible to the court system. This could explain why he stiffed his depositions and other court requirements because they "can't get blood out of a turnip." He has that arrogance and spiteful streak in him to do that very thing. I would be very surprised that with all the purported zillions he has made with his Infowars and peddling nostrums that he is barely surviving.

While I don't think he has a couple of billion buried in his backyard, he might have tens of millions rat holed hither and yon.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
tek

Post by tek »

I will laugh my ass off if he buried a pile of money in crypto, and it vanished.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

"You are ordered to bring all your MyPillows to the coming deposition. We will provide the knife." :twisted:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

humblescribe » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:35 pm
One wonders: Did Jones start to squirrel away money in offshore accounts or transact fraudulent conveyances well before the trial started to get under way?
Yes.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/alex- ... 46cd077c5f

DALLAS (Reuters) - Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on Tuesday failed in his bid to slash a nearly $50 million defamation verdict against him over his false claims that the 2012 Sandy Hook mass shooting was a hoax.

Judge Maya Guerra Gamble rejected arguments by a lawyer for Jones and the parent company of his Infowars website that a Texas state law capping certain types of damages meant that the August verdict in favor of two parents of a child slain at Sandy Hook should be cut by more than $40 million.

Jones claimed for years that the 2012 killing of 20 students and six staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, was staged with actors as part of a government plot to seize Americans’ guns. He has since acknowledged the shooting occurred.

Plaintiffs Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis testified that they suffered years of harassment and abuse at the hands of Jones' followers, who falsely believed they lied about their six-year-old son Jesse Lewis' death.

Texas law caps non-economic punitive damages, which made up $45.2 million of the total verdict. Heslin and Lewis' lawyers successfully argued that the cap does not apply due to a carveout for intentional abuse of a disabled person, saying trauma over their son's death counted as a disability.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

Return to “Other weirdos”