2nd 2024 Presidential Debate - 9/10/2024 on ABC

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The second Presidential Debate of 2024 is scheduled for Tuesday, Sept 10, at 9pm Eastern time.

Per the New York Times -
ABC News will broadcast the debate, which it is producing in conjunction with its Philadelphia affiliate, WPVI-TV. ABC News Live, Disney+ and Hulu will stream the debate.

David Muir, the anchor of “World News Tonight,” and Linsey Davis, anchor of “ABC News Live Prime,” will be the moderators.
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kyle Griffin
@kylegriffin1

Team Harris debate prep is focused on:

* How to needle Trump to rattle him

* Emphasizing Trump's advanced age and lack of details on policy proposals

* Showcasing his lies, failures and broken promises during his time in office

* Avoiding being pulled into Trump's personal attacks

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-e ... rcna168907
The cited NBC News article is fairly long and a good read. I recommend it.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

He'll say he left office with AMERICA GREAT AGAIN and Biden/Harris ruined it.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

So here's my thought: I'd love it if she demolished him; stayed cool and in control, and called out his lies swiftly before doubling back to making her own points. I'd love it if he got the accordion going while spouting his word salad about nothing; if he was revealed once or twice or ten times to not know a single effing thing about the issues or the office or the world; if he sneered and name-called to try to cover his ignorance. I'd love it if she shook her head and said "same ole' same ole'" when he tries to bully her.

I really would.

That's it.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I want to hear her laugh at least once when he says something, you know he will, outrageous.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
optimusprime

Post by optimusprime »

I want her to look at him and state: "We are not falling for your okie-dook - WE ARE NOT GOING BACK!!" And, it would be better if George Stephanopoulos was the moderator and, Rachel Scott gets another shot to ask him the questions that she really want to ask.

Other than that, trump will be trump. Only the other adults in the room - the moderators and VP Harris will act with decorum and give adult answers. Ditto for the VP debate.

Finally, lets have a third debate with independent moderators such as Roland Martin
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Great column about the debate.
I would like to encourage everybody to consume post-debate spin responsibly. We know the media is going to hold Harris to a different standard than Trump, and we can be almost sure that those same people will somehow find Harris lacking while Trump gets a free ride for his torrent of incoherent misinformation. We know that Harris could “win” the debate but lose the “show.” We know that Harris could win the debate and the show but still have to suffer old white men with television contracts taking potshots at her. The media is already sick of all the positive energy surrounding the Harris campaign; I expect they’ll use the debate to take as much steam out of her as possible.
The central problem is this: You—the expert who possesses real knowledge of the topics that are up for debate—are bound by a world that has rules. Your opponent, the lying propagandist and fabulist, is not. You can’t or won’t say things you know to be untrue; they can and will. You want the debate to be about policies (because you know that your policies are actually popular); they want the debate to be about personalities. Your mind is racing to convey as much information as possible in a 90-second response; their mouth is running to insult you or the people you care about as much as possible in 90 seconds. You are having a discussion based in reality; they are having a discussion meant for a reality-TV show. It’s an asymmetric war that you can’t really win.
He does have a good example of what to do.

https://www.thenation.com/article/polit ... la-harris/
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

,LA

is gonna wipe the floor with fat donOLD

and I am here to see it!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

I still maintain that the only effective way of dealing with the firehose of lies is to laugh and point. :point:

Make it fun! :towel:
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Advisers worry whether ‘happy Trump’ or ‘angry Trump’ will show up to debate
Sources say campaign is concerned that Trump may engage in the kind of self-sabotage that turned off voters in 2020

Hugo Lowell in Washington
Mon 9 Sep 2024 12.00 CEST

Donald Trump’s campaign is most concerned going into the debate against Kamala Harris with the former president’s mood, afraid that the mercurial Trump could engage in the kind of self-sabotage that turned off voters in the 2020 presidential election, according to people familiar with the situation.

The campaign’s internal refrain is whether they get “happy Trump” or “angry Trump”, the people said, as they count down the days to perhaps the final presidential debate this cycle.

Tuesday night’s televised debate is widely seen as a crux moment in the rebooted 2024 campaign. Since Joe Biden dropped out of the race after a campaign-killing debate performance crystalized fears over his age and mental acuity, Harris has turned the race on its head.

But Harris’s upward trajectory appears to have crested and Trump’s advisers have been looking at the debate as their best chance to retake the momentum after weeks of being humped out of the news cycle. Their hope, the people said, is to get the Trump who was fast on his feet during the debate against Biden.

Their concern is getting angry Trump. If Trump becomes frustrated on the stage, it could bring out his worst instincts to make ad hominem insults in the vein of recent attacks on Harris that have turned increasingly personal and extreme to the extent that is has exasperated some of his own supporters.

Trump has struggled historically with Black women in positions of power, and the campaign is bracing for him not to repeat recent comments that questioned Harris’s race or openly misogynistic comments, and more broadly, if he launches into lengthy and rambling diatribes that have become a feature of his rallies.

The anxiety over Trump’s mood on the day reflects the reality that the campaign has been looking at the debate as the best opportunity for Trump to try and reset the race after playing defense against Harris for weeks – and the risks of doing so.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... aign-fears
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Their hope, the people said, is to get the Trump who was fast on his feet during the debate against Biden.
That Turnip was a gibbering retard. If the other guy wasn't a democrat the news would have laughed their head off at him.
Hic sunt dracones
cjroberts
Verified:

Post by cjroberts »

I hope Harris grabs Trump by the Vance.
Go Land Crabs!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Even if he starts out "happy," he can't sustain it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Agreed. One good hit by Harris and all bets are off.
May the bridges I burn light my way.

ImageImageImage x5
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Two sides of the same coin. Abuse 101.

Both are designed for control.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Anyone know who's live-blogging the debate? I can't watch Trump under any circumstances.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I hope he shows his ass in a bigger way than he ever has!

I also hope mailorda does not show up to support him!
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

I wanna see her get him angry enough he tries to lunge at her
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I'll tell you what she's gonna do:

She's gonna show the world who she is.

:resist:
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Great column with specific phrases that Harris can deploy.

On his Train of thought.

Trump displays clinically meaningful tangential thinking and disordered syntax. Those are medical terms to describe severe disruptions in thinking and mind-wandering. More down-to-earth characterizations in this domain would be phrases like:

“Your thinking seems all over the place.”

“Recently, even some of your allies and the TV networks that support your candidacy notice that you struggle to complete your thoughts and you say things people can’t understand.”

“You seem aware that your thoughts are more scattered now. The other day, you acknowledged your mind “weaves,” but then you said that only reflected how brilliant you are…but for me, and I think many of us, it feels like there is yarn all over the floor.”

“It’s as if your thoughts just can’t stay on the highway. They get lost on side roads.”
On Memory:
“When you seem to mix up people, not just names, and don’t seem aware of it, I worry about your well-being.”

“When you don’t answer questions asked of you, I wonder if it is because you don’t want to or you just can’t remember the question.”
Complexity of Thought:
“So, so many of your past advisers and cabinet officers are on the record in warning the public that you are just no longer capable of addressing thorny problems. Doesn’t that concern you?”

“You’re still good with your nicknames, insults, and complaints about how you are treated, but can you handle the country’s difficult problems? Or will you just hand them off to your Project 2025 cronies?”
Much more. I love the "digs" that he suggests.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

PANICKED Trump THROWS A FIT Right before BIG DEBATE

MeidasTouch
2 hours ago

MeidasTouch host Ben Meiselas reports on Donald Trump’s unhinged behavior before today’s debate with VP Harris.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ya he always is "Having a fit" or similar before a debate. It's trying to grab media attention.
Hic sunt dracones
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The Late Show With Stephen Colbert will be live tonight after the debate. :thumbsup:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

SuzieC wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 1:17 pm Anyone know who's live-blogging the debate? I can't watch Trump under any circumstances.
Wonkette is.
Image Image Image Image
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I hope she gets in a line about his own VP not supporting him. I'll bet casual trump voters/people who just always vote R just because they always do may not be aware that Pence has dumped him.

Return to “US President”