Coronavirus and the Schools

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Coronavirus and the Schools

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Sue Abbott until he surrenders!

The parents of every TX school student infected in class should sue Abbott. Counties, cities and school districts should sue Abbott.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Suing costs money. Schools don't have money. I'm kinda liking the AZ model, just ignore the stupids and follow the CDC. Make _them_ sue _you_. If they dare. Downsides?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Things in MS are even worse than in TX. :eek:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Yep, that's what I've been saying. Found out this morning when I went to pick up my kit at the production site that there have been WAY more than the 9 reported positives on set we've been told about. I guess I'm lucky that I was so sick last week and wasn't on-set for the biggest spike among cast and crew.

And the wrap party last night was apparently a huge group of people eating, drinking, hugging and hanging on each other without a mask in sight. I didn't go but I talked to 2 people this morning who showed up and left immediately because of the stupidity. Cast and crew are now winging their way back to all points near and far around the country to potentially spread it even more.
raison de arizona

This is Tucson, AZ’s second largest city.
https://twitter.com/cadeyharrel/status/ ... 20967?s=21
Cadey Harrel, MD wrote:I gave testimony with three other health experts this evening at @AmphiSchools Board meeting. We were verbally assaulted leaving the meeting for being “paid actors” along with other anti-science talking points.

This is how health experts are treated for speaking up. 🧵

What is worse is that numerous educators in attendance thanked us for standing with them, but in anonymity due to concerns about backlash and retaliation.
AZ Senator Wendy Rogers, whose rhetoric I’m certain has nothing to do with this.

Also, too.
Unvaccinated students at West Virginia college will have to pay $750 fee

BUCKHANNON, W. Va. (WBTW) – West Virginia’s Wesleyan College will still admit students who are not vaccinated against COVID-19, but they will have to pay a sizable fee, according to the university’s COVID-19 plan.

If a student fails to upload proof of vaccination by Sept. 7, he or she will have to pay $750. Having the first shot towards vaccination satisfies the requirement.

According to the university, students who do not submit proof of vaccination or who are not vaccinated will also be required to submit a negative COVID-19 test within seven days of arriving on campus. Those students will have to get tested weekly.
:snippity:
https://pix11.com/news/unvaccinated-stu ... y-750-fee/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I heard on the news that one of the local colleges or universities is requiring vaccines or repeated testing for students returning in the fall. Any student who is unvaccinated and has to be quarantined will have to pay $200 for the quarantine.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

tek

Post by tek »

More than 400 students quarantined since first day of school because of COVID-19 in Palm Beach County School District

https://www.wpbf.com/article/florida-co ... s/37293951#
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

SCOTUSblog
@SCOTUSblog
BREAKING: The Supreme Court refuses grant Indiana University students’ request to block the school’s vaccine mandate. Justice Amy Coney Barrett rejected the request without referring it to the full court.

LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

:clap:
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:22 pm ...

Things in MS are even worse than in TX. :eek:
And here in Floriduh, DeathSentence is hiding the numbers so nobody knows WTF the situation is, other than the state looks like a giant inflamed dick on the covid map.

I think I saw this on twitter, maybe here, that went something like this.*

Total FL deaths as of last week. 10,000*
Total FL deaths in the last week. 100

A week later:
Total FL deaths as of this week: 10,600*
Total FL deaths this week 110.

*total numbers pulled from my ass but the difference is approximately correct. I remember the amount they were off. They covered up approx 500 deaths in one week by putting a "typo" in the press release. Sorry I don't have the link but if I see it again, I'll post it.

Also, I should mention the two weeks weren't reported together. You had to look up each one separately.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

Lina Hidalgo
@LinaHidalgoTX
NEW: Our Harris County Local Health Authority has issued a Health Order requiring masks in schools and childcare centers.

Pediatric COVID19 cases are at all- time highs in Texas, and most schools haven’t even started yet.

We have no choice.
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

DeSantis is apparently backpedaling on his threats...

Lani

Post by Lani »

Our schools require masks and social distancing.

48% of the people here who tested positive yesterday are under 12yo. I've been watching the rates for children rise. Was about 10% a few weeks ago, 24% last week, and it just keeps rising. It's going have huge repercussions on the schools.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

One of my sons and his wife are both teachers. Mask mandate and social distancing rules in place with an option for on line instruction. They are both vaxxed and worried about going back and potentially exposing their 2 year old. School starts after Labor Day.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Lani wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:04 am Our schools require masks and social distancing.

48% of the people here who tested positive yesterday are under 12yo. I've been watching the rates for children rise. Was about 10% a few weeks ago, 24% last week, and it just keeps rising. It's going have huge repercussions on the schools.
Do schools have mask mandates?
Lani

Post by Lani »

LM K wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:28 am
Lani wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:04 am Our schools require masks and social distancing.

Do schools have mask mandates?
Yep. Mask mandates never ended for stores, workplaces, buses, etc. There was an upping of how many people could gather, but that the number was dropped again this week - except for churches, several which had covid clusters. :mad:

Starting next week, all government workers have to vaccinated or tested at least once a week. Hospitals and business are now requiring it as well. A bit late, but at least it's happening.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2021/08/13/b ... ith-covid/
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – When it comes to picking its victims, COVID-19 does not discriminate.

The vicious virus, in less than one day this week, between Tuesday and Wednesday, claimed the lives of three Broward County school teachers and one of its assistant teachers.

The teachers, ironically, all dying around the same time Broward County’s School Board voted to defy Gov. DeSantis’ order to drop the mask mandate.

Despite the dangers, the governor is sticking to his guns.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

In just the first 7 days of this new school year, outbreaks have already been identified at 5 schools and there is more evidence of on-campus transmission than we saw all of last year.
LM K

Post by LM K »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:36 pm Image
In just the first 7 days of this new school year, outbreaks have already been identified at 5 schools and there is more evidence of on-campus transmission than we saw all of last year.
This breaks my heart. Children need in-person learning. Virtual learning just doesn't work very well for kiddos, esp those K-8. Teaching K-12 students remotely is a nightmare for educators. I'm proud of our K-12 teachers; they made an impossible situation possible.

School shut downs don't just affect children's academics. Shut downs are disturbing children's social, cognitive, and neurological development. Getting back to in-person learning is critical for children's development. (Children are extremely resilient and most will catch up on all of their developmental tasks. But some children won't catch up.)

Schools will shut down all over the country.

We really need Mr. Rogers right now. :crying:
LM K

Post by LM K »

Raisin de arizona.

Are your local districts instituting mask mandates even though that violates Ducey's batshittery?
raison de arizona

LM K wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:29 pm Raisin de arizona.

Are your local districts instituting mask mandates even though that violates Ducey's batshittery?
There are districts in AZ that are ignoring them and instituting mandates, but as far as my local district went is to require face masks on the bus. They do cluster the desks and keep the same four kids together throughout the day, so they get exposed to less and there are less chances of transmission. We ended up in a private school, which isn’t terribly better. When we toured schools, there was a lot of talk about vaccinating being “a personal choice.” Ugh.
raison de arizona

A California teacher is hospitalized after he's allegedly attacked by a parent over face masks on the first day of school

(CNN) - An elementary school teacher in Northern California was hospitalized after being attacked by a parent during a verbal argument over the use of face masks, the district superintendent said.

The sixth grade teacher was stitched up at the hospital for cuts and lacerations to his face sustained in a physical fight between a parent and the school's principal on the campus of Sutter Creek Elementary School, about 45 miles east of Sacramento, Torie Gibson, Superintendent of Amador County Unified School District told CNN.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/13/us/teach ... l?ofs=fbia

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”