Coronavirus and the Schools

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Re: Coronavirus and Schools

Post by LM K »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:17 pm Hubs just read a news article to me that our school district is going to defy Gov DeathSentence and require masks, although parents can opt out.
:thumbsup:

OR gov Brown has announced a mask mandate for K-12 schools for ALL of the 21-22 school year. I'm thrilled!

I'm beginning to wonder if my campus will completely reopen as planned in late Sept. We have a vaccine mandate (though OR law makes it impotent) and I'm sure everyone will be required to wear masks regardless of vaccination status. Social distancing in the classroom was still tbd but classes meeting in person are enrolled for pre-pandemic numbers. With delta, the college will have to reinstate class size reductions. But will they?
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Lani

Re: Coronavirus and the Schools

Post by Lani »

I'm wondering if any school is considering a hybrid. Reduce class size to, for example, 1/2. Students are in class every other day. Attend remotely on the off day. Safer for everyone. If/when the number of cases go down and vaccines are approved for younger children, switch it up to a full classroom.

The current situation is not good, but it's even worse for multigenerational families. And triple worse if the families are in small homes.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lani wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:12 pm I'm wondering if any school is considering a hybrid. Reduce class size to, for example, 1/2. Students are in class every other day. Attend remotely on the off day. Safer for everyone. If/when the number of cases go down and vaccines are approved for younger children, switch it up to a full classroom.

The current situation is not good, but it's even worse for multigenerational families. And triple worse if the families are in small homes.
They did that at the end of the year in the Pittsburgh schools. Each grandkid went two days a week. It worked out so-so. My daughter was still working from home then. She's back in the office now, although they are loose about it.

They go back in a few weeks full time, but everyone, staff and students, will be masked.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Pittsburgh Public Schools have moved back opening date, starting from August 25 to September 8. Good move.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
ZinWhit

Post by ZinWhit »

Attended our local school board meeting, held outside under the playshed (Douglas County, Oregon). They will require masks.

Nobody wore masks. I situated my chair 20+ feet from anyone.

I spoke in favor, out numbered 10-1. The other in favor a school employee with childhood local ties who spoke last, telling her story of she and her husband contracting covid, wore masks, didn't pass it on to her 85 yo mother or school children last year, both now having long term effects.

Those against where typical knuckle draggers, some suggesting they will send their kids to school sick, another that students should plan a mass protest.

Critical Race Theory and gender fluidity was their equal complaint, a few single males without children motivated by their echochamber.
Attachments
20210809_190446.jpg
20210809_190446.jpg (372.92 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
Conservation is what conservation does and it sure ain't preservation.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
LM K

Post by LM K »

ZinWhit wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:24 pm Attended our local school board meeting, held outside under the playshed (Douglas County, Oregon). They will require masks.

I spoke in favor, out numbered 10-1. The other in favor a school employee with childhood local ties who spoke last, telling her story of she and her husband contracting covid, wore masks, didn't pass it on to her 85 yo mother or school children last year, both now having long term effects.

Those against where typical knuckle draggers, some suggesting they will send their kids to school sick, another that students should plan a mass protest.

Critical Race Theory and gender fluidity was their equal complaint, a few single males without children motivated by their echochamber.
Gov Brown declared a mask mandate for all K-12 schools ... for all of 21-22 school year. There are consequences for districts. Those consequences are detailed in the below article.

In Lane County, the Springfield school board had a public meeting last night.
It was a full house Monday night for the Springfield School Board's first regular meeting held in-person since the pandemic began in spring 2020.
:snippity:

Those who spoke in favor of masks urged the district stay with the state safety guidelines this school year, including the mandate that Gov. Kate Brown announced on July 29.People who gave public comments against masks in schools and vaccine requirements received rounds of applause from many audience members.

Springfield Superintendent Todd Hamilton said the district will follow the guidance laid out by the state.

"Consistent with our decision-making in the past, we will be moving forward with a mask mandate."

Under the state mandate, all students, employees and visitors in Oregon schools must be masked,[/color] aligning with the CDC's latest recommendations. The requirement applies indoors during school hours and at all school activities outside of school buildings such as field trips. Students and staff do not need to wear masks outdoors, regardless of vaccination status.

There is no vaccine requirement within the district.

If school districts defy the governor's mask order and allow some individuals to not wear a mask, there is a risk of a $500 penalty per day per incident from the state. Licenses for teachers and staff could also be at risk. Three school districts — Culver, Sutherlin and Crook County — have announced they won't comply.
Parents have been begging schools to reopen full time. But hey, let's not wear masks to keep infection rates low. Esp from a variant that is highly infectious amongst children ... and kills children.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:40 pm
And teachers, like nurses, who refuse should be fired on the spot. None of this "weekly testing" bullshit, or get it by such-and-such a date. Just "pack your shit and get out of here." I wouldn't want a teacher who cares so little for her students, just as I wouldn't want a nurse who cares so little for her patients.

A second Sheriff in MS has died from covid. No word on whether he was vaxxed or not, but he's from Yalobusha (it means fuckwits bamboozled by trump in Choctaw) County so probably not.
ZinWhit

Post by ZinWhit »

LM K wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:15 pm Gov Brown declared a mask mandate for all K-12 schools ... for all of 21-22 school year. There are consequences for districts. Those consequences are detailed in the below article.
Before opening public comment, the school superintendent said just this, that if the board were to challenge Gov. Brown's mandate, teachers can lose their licenses, accreditation revolked, districts fined.

They passed a resolution sending a letter to Brown wanting "local control," emphasizing that does not mean no masks. Earlier in a work session, they voted 6-1 for adhering to the mandate.

During my public comment, I stated I agree with the mandate, that school districts given local control would act like my former doctor- maskless- were it not for the sticks that come with mandates.
LM K

Post by LM K »

ZinWhit wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:12 pm
LM K wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:15 pm Gov Brown declared a mask mandate for all K-12 schools ... for all of 21-22 school year. There are consequences for districts. Those consequences are detailed in the below article.
Before opening public comment, the school superintendent said just this, that if the board were to challenge Gov. Brown's mandate, teachers can lose their licenses, accreditation revolked, districts fined.

They passed a resolution sending a letter to Brown wanting "local control," emphasizing that does not mean no masks. Earlier in a work session, they voted 6-1 for adhering to the mandate.

During my public comment, I stated I agree with the mandate, that school districts given local control would act like my former doctor- maskless- were it not for the sticks that come with mandates.
I'm so glad that your district is following the ban!

I can sympathize with wanting local control. That's not unreasonable for some issues. But public health needs state/federal oversight. It's good that the district wrote to Gov Brown expressing their concerns. They raise a fair point. I applaud them for taking the mandate seriously and agreeing to follow the mandate.

I'll be surprised if Brown's K-12 mandate doesn't go to court. But such a lawsuit will fail.
LM K

Post by LM K »

ZinWhit, thank you for being so active in your community regarding covid issues. I appreciate it.
:bighug:
ZinWhit

Post by ZinWhit »

Thank you.

I was taught democracy and social responsibility isn't just about voting. I hope to pass this on to our children.

I suspect the same is true for many on this Fogbow board. So...thank you.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

ZinWhit wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:24 pm Attended our local school board meeting, held outside under the playshed (Douglas County, Oregon). They will require masks.

It is my belief that standing up for science when outnumbered, and speaking truth, will have some good in the world. The butterfly effect.

:bighug:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Over 1000 cases in the first week of school here.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

The Winston Dillard school board meeting is tomorrow. JPJ has been having a fit about the state wide school mandate. I suspect he will show up and be an asshole as is his norm.
LM K

Post by LM K »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:44 pm Over 1000 cases in the first week of school here.
:shock:
School buildings across the US may be "forced to shut down" more this year than last year as COVID-19 cases continue to spike throughout the country, a former Centers for Disease Control and Prevention official said Tuesday.

Dr. Richard Besser, a former acting director of the CDC, said during an interview on NBC News' "Today" show that with the highly transmissible Delta variant being the dominant coronavirus strain in the country, "I expect that it's going to jump around different classrooms and schools will be forced to shut down more than they did in fact last year."

"I think this fall is going to be really challenging for schools," Besser said. "I think children belong in the classroom. But what we're going to see is little outbreaks, clusters in different schools, schools shutting down, reopening.

"The more we can do to reduce the number of times that happens, the better. And wearing masks for everyone will help to accomplish that."

So far, COVID-19 vaccines in the US are authorized only for people ages 12 and older, and Besser encouraged parents themselves to get inoculated against the virus.

"That's the most important thing you can do to protect your child,"
Besser said. "But what we're going to see is schools doing their best to keep children in the classroom but recognizing when there's significant spreading in school they may need to shut down for a period of time to let things cool down."

A newly released weekly report from the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Children's Hospital Association described an uptick in COVID-19 cases among children.

Nearly 94,000 new coronavirus cases were recorded in children last week, according to the report, which noted it's "a continuing substantial increase."

"After declining in early summer, child cases have steadily increased since the beginning of July," the American Academy of Pediatrics said.
Lani

Post by Lani »

We have another cluster on my island "in an educational setting." Two days into Week 2. Also hit a new island high for the number of daily cases.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The nation has gone nuts.

This is Trump's doing.

:mad:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

So in AZ the legislature passed a no mask mandate allowed, and the governor issued a no mask mandate. Schools are getting back in session in the last couple weeks, and are really getting going now. Covid cases in children are up about 50% this week, IIRC. Anyway, so a LOT of school districts have blown off the no mask mandate and mandated masks anyway. Because, kids. The legislature is _not_ happy, and liken it to anarchy. The butt-hurt is strong with these Repugnicans, and they want funding withheld.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

These school board things worry me. The radio RWNJs have been pressuring everyone to go for months now, and people are doing it. Big names in the nutjob-sphere are showing up too, Charlie Kirk went to one a ways back here in AZ, Madison Cawthorn raised hell at one in NC. The board I've been watching in Long Island, NY just gets worse and worse with every meeting, it's just a matter of time before extreme violence breaks out. They've already had arrests at several school board meetings nationally. Crazy shit.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”