Flying the Unfriendly Skies

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Flying the Unfriendly Skies

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We are flying for the first time in September, and I'm already dreading it. We decided for our trip that we had to take or lose $$ to stay relatively close with shorter flights, so we are flying to Montreal and back from Chicago. I am looking forward to the small expedition ship cruise between the two. We got free airfare, so if it's looking bad, we could take Amtrak to/from either city. The Montreal part would be harder to do, but Amtrak goes to Montreal.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

My sister contacted me this week about coming out to see my niece (now 6 weeks old!). Unfortunately, I won't know until Monday whether the mask mandate for mass transit will remain in place, and because of work I couldn't fly out this weekend. Hoping to fly out in two weeks, but not booking a flight until I know I can go. Between the baby and Dr. Vicklund's health issues, there's no way I'm getting on a tin can for several hours with people not wearing masks.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:12 pm My sister contacted me this week about coming out to see my niece (now 6 weeks old!). Unfortunately, I won't know until Monday whether the mask mandate for mass transit will remain in place, and because of work I couldn't fly out this weekend. Hoping to fly out in two weeks, but not booking a flight until I know I can go. Between the baby and Dr. Vicklund's health issues, there's no way I'm getting on a tin can for several hours with people not wearing masks.
The mandate has been extended to May 3.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:26 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:12 pm My sister contacted me this week about coming out to see my niece (now 6 weeks old!). Unfortunately, I won't know until Monday whether the mask mandate for mass transit will remain in place, and because of work I couldn't fly out this weekend. Hoping to fly out in two weeks, but not booking a flight until I know I can go. Between the baby and Dr. Vicklund's health issues, there's no way I'm getting on a tin can for several hours with people not wearing masks.
The mandate has been extended to May 3.
Yay! Thank you! That must have been announced mere hours after the last time I checked.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Flights booked. First class to minimize exposure. Nonstop in afternoon.

I get to see my niece! :lovestruck:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:23 pm Flights booked. First class to minimize exposure. Nonstop in afternoon.

I get to see my niece! :lovestruck:
:lovestruck: :lovestruck: :bighug:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:17 am We are flying for the first time in September, and I'm already dreading it. We decided for our trip that we had to take or lose $$ to stay relatively close with shorter flights, so we are flying to Montreal and back from Chicago. I am looking forward to the small expedition ship cruise between the two. We got free airfare, so if it's looking bad, we could take Amtrak to/from either city. The Montreal part would be harder to do, but Amtrak goes to Montreal.
Hi Andy,

Will you be going through the Welland Canal on this cruise? The canal goes through my city, St. Catharines.

I’ll have to go to one of the viewing locks and wave at your boat as it goes by. :kiss:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

jemcanada2 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:47 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:17 am We are flying for the first time in September, and I'm already dreading it. We decided for our trip that we had to take or lose $$ to stay relatively close with shorter flights, so we are flying to Montreal and back from Chicago. I am looking forward to the small expedition ship cruise between the two. We got free airfare, so if it's looking bad, we could take Amtrak to/from either city. The Montreal part would be harder to do, but Amtrak goes to Montreal.
Hi Andy,

Will you be going through the Welland Canal on this cruise? The canal goes through my city, St. Catharines.

I’ll have to go to one of the viewing locks and wave at your boat as it goes by. :kiss:
Yes, we will. It will be a small ship, only 77 cabins, 162 people. We were on a smaller boat in the Chilean fjords, but this is one of the new expedition ships a number of the travel companies are building. We've been on Viking a number of times, but this is Vantage Travel. They just started this last year. Both Viking and Vantage have the hull-hardened small ships that just circle the globe, including Antarctica. You sort of choose the part(s) you want. :thumbsup:

I'll wave back! :biggrin:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:25 pm
jemcanada2 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:47 pm
Hi Andy,

Yes, we will. It will be a small ship, only 77 cabins, 162 people. We were on a smaller boat in the Chilean fjords, but this is one of the new expedition ships a number of the travel companies are building. We've been on Viking a number of times, but this is Vantage Travel. They just started this last year. Both Viking and Vantage have the hull-hardened small ships that just circle the globe, including Antarctica. You sort of choose the part(s) you want. :thumbsup:

I'll wave back! :biggrin:
:thumbsup:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

I just looked at the itinerary for the cruise, Andy. You’re going to some great locations! Montreal, Kingston, Upper Canada Village, Toronto! You might recognize the Distillery District in Toronto. It’s been used as a location in so many movies and tv shows. Of course, Toronto City Hall has been in movies (especially science fiction ones). :P

Port Weller, the entrance to the canal from Lake Ontario, is part of St. Catharines. That whole area between there and Port Colborne is my stomping grounds!

:stamp: but with an O ;)

You’ll love the Niagara Parkway and the wineries. Have fun!!! :fiesta: :fiesta:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

jemcanada2 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:58 pm I just looked at the itinerary for the cruise, Andy. You’re going to some great locations! Montreal, Kingston, Upper Canada Village, Toronto! You might recognize the Distillery District in Toronto. It’s been used as a location in so many movies and tv shows. Of course, Toronto City Hall has been in movies (especially science fiction ones). :P

Port Weller, the entrance to the canal from Lake Ontario, is part of St. Catharines. That whole area between there and Port Colborne is my stomping grounds!

You’ll love the Niagara Parkway and the wineries. Have fun!!! :fiesta: :fiesta:
With luck, the cruise could encounter the world's foremost visionary, Kap'n Karl!
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Off Topic
Azastan wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:27 pm
jemcanada2 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:58 pm I just looked at the itinerary for the cruise, . . . :snippity: :snippity: . . . is my stomping grounds!

:snippity:
With luck, the cruise could encounter the world's foremost visionary, Kap'n Karl!
As it Should be!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We've actually been to most places, but not St. Catherine's. We've been through the St. Lawrence Seaway as far as Montreal from the Atlantic; now we will get to do the rest of it. It's spectacular scenery.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:29 pm We've actually been to most places, but not St. Catherine's. We've been through the St. Lawrence Seaway as far as Montreal from the Atlantic; now we will get to do the rest of it. It's spectacular scenery.
Think of Grumpy Old Guy as you travel. He’d camp along the seaway to watch the boats. :brokenheart:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:12 am all you can buy for $f***g$ 2000 includes free transport on a reserved seat in a police cruzer and free meals served at the police station. Drinks availability limited.
This should have been filed under the white privilege cause he didnt get shot in the back of the head.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Ol' Wifehorn flying to Seattle on Wednesday morning, to see our niece's new babby gurl. This niece is ol' Wifehorn's brother's kid. The brother was a asshole (but RIP); however, the niece unaccountably developed into a wonderful young lady and excellent mother, with a husband who is a great guy, and I know because I spent a week out there last summer.

We have a test kit, and will test ol' Wifehorn before she flies. We have very comfortable KN95s she will be OK with it for 5 hours.

I'll give you a report, probably in a different thread.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Turned out to be a game console.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

WTF is this crap?

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

I guess yelling at airport personnel is the new right wing craze these days. Bill O'Reilly going full ted Cruz
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

"Retirement" hasn't mellowed him any.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

O'Reilly says he was in the right and something something righteous anger because Jesus says so. It's in the Bible that he was in the right.
https://www.billoreilly.com/b/Bill-JetB ... 70078.html
The video is short and a hoot.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “General Stuff”