Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Flying the Unfriendly Skies

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Flying the Unfriendly Skies

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:

I guess that's one way to try to alleviate the situation.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Could also be posted under Brexit, with the airport not being able to get workers from the EU.

But in general the airport is overwhelmed by the travel recovery and is not able to find workers to handle near pre-pandemic workloads. Sensible to restrict the airlines to limits that match the resources on ground. Bad for the airlines who just found their revenue returning.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That's true of most airports. I don't know if Amsterdam has improved, but it was a real horror show for a while. It can't be helping the London airports, though.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

May be a UK special, but during the pandemic part of the pandemic workers accepted a reduced (pay like 10%), and companies tried to carry this forward into the recovery. Just last week original salaries were reinstated after staff threatened to strike, that went fast. Who would sign up to a job at reduced salary levels?
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Recruitment of additional staff is also hampered by the need to obtain appropriate security clearance for each one.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

A passenger with an $11,000 ticket to Europe says Air Canada 'begged' 25 people to get off the plane because it was too heavy to take off. Then they lost his bag.

Hannah Towey
Tue, July 12, 2022 at 8:56 PM

An Air Canada passenger flying to Europe had his flights delayed 10 times on Saturday.

On one of the flights, 25 passengers had to deboard because it was "too heavy" to take off, he said.

The airline also lost his luggage, forcing him to spend over $4,500 on replacement items, he said.

Even a senior manager at a global travel logistics company can't escape this summer's airport chaos: The man, who's based in the Western US, told Insider his 21-hour trip to Europe last weekend was the "worst experience flying" he's ever had — complete with nearly a dozen flight delays and a lost suitcase.

"I travel a ton for work and I think I'm above average for forgiving airline trouble," he told Insider.

Flight receipts and email notifications reviewed by Insider show Air Canada delayed the passenger's flights a total of 10 times during the three-legged journey and lost his baggage along the way.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/passenger-11 ... 10348.html
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I’m still trying to find an alternate train route to go to Montreal in September. Amtrak isn’t running from New York to Montreal yet, but it will soon start to Toronto. Maybe Pittsburgh to Chicago to Toronto to Montreal. (You can actually get off the train in Cleveland, but the timing is awful.) I’m just going nuts about flying right now.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Lani wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:14 am That's a lot worse then my recent flight experience. I hope you get your luggage soon.

Since masks were no longer required, I've flown twice to Honolulu. Became ill after both. I woke feeling very tired this morning. Now my fever is 99.9, and I'm feeling very, very achy. Can't eat without vomiting. Already emailed that I'm on sick leave.
a month later I got my bag returned to my home. I have all of my belongings but I will now need to buy new luggage.

I do NOT Know how they did this???
Attachments
2broke.jpg
2broke.jpg (451.01 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

they were nice enough to put the broken handle inside

looks like they sawed it off?
Attachments
broke.jpg
broke.jpg (47.22 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

sad-cafe wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:06 pm they were nice enough to put the broken handle inside

looks like they sawed it off?
My remote diagnosis: the handle managed to get pulled from the stored position, got caught with other lugagge ot transport belt, twisted so that it couldn't be put back, so they did saw it off and returned it as prove that they had no ill intent.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I replaced one of those on my mother-in-law's bag after something similar with a part from alibaba in China. Took weeks to get it, but it went right together and was <$10 as opposed to buying a whole new bag. fwiw
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:36 pm I replaced one of those on my mother-in-law's bag after something similar with a part from alibaba in China. Took weeks to get it, but it went right together and was <$10 as opposed to buying a whole new bag. fwiw
well=the wheels are now shot as well

Am just going to get a new family set-bright orange!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Extreme turbulence

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Hamilton was also checked by fire-rescue team upon landing, having suffered a small cut on his head. For his troubles, Hamilton said the airline offered a $12 meal voucher and AAdvantage miles — which wasn’t good enough, in his opinion.
If this is me, I say I’m okay and offer to help someone else. A small cut indeed.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

They don't have much choice. I'll put a post on train travel soon.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

With eight seats, I think it might be a little pricey.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:37 pm With eight seats, I think it might be a little pricey.
Yes, but there are folks who pay more each weekend to fly from Manhattan to the east end of LI.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:37 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:37 pm With eight seats, I think it might be a little pricey.
Yes, but there are folks who pay more each weekend to fly from Manhattan to the east end of LI.
The private helicopter to the Hamptons crowd.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I hate it when that happens.

Return to “General Stuff”