Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Flying the Unfriendly Skies

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Flying the Unfriendly Skies

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:52 pm I'm not sure if it's 100 percent true, but pilots often come on the boat/ship so that it's not actually the captain who is taking the boat/ship through the canal.
True that, apart that a pilot never touches any controls but only gives orders in place of the captain.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

In addition, too, also...

If the side thrusters are equally applied on both sides then there will be a 'water cushion' keeping the ship equally spaced from the lock walls on both sides.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

keith wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:00 am In addition, too, also...

If the side thrusters are equally applied on both sides then there will be a 'water cushion' keeping the ship equally spaced from the lock walls on both sides.
:think: Are you sure?

Some (many? most?) bow thrusters are of a "tunnel" type with inlets/outlets on opposite sides so the pump or screw moves water from one side to the other to create the sideways force so they cannot propel in both directions simultaneously.

With azimuth thrusters one could theoretically do what you suggest, but I think it would be destabilizing as iintroduces more energy and more variability into the system.

Of course there is a significant cushioning effect from the water in the narrow gap between hull and wall, but agitating that water isn't going to help.

The Panama Canal has paired locks and ships traversing them simultaneously in the same direction must stagger their departures because there is a nasty hydrodynamic effect where two ships moving parallel are pulled towards each other, and it really can cause problems.

However, this aspect of marine operations isn't my area, so please feel free to correct my errors!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:11 am
keith wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:00 am In addition, too, also...

:think: Are you sure?

:snippity:

However, this aspect of marine operations isn't my area, so please feel free to correct my errors!
No correction from me, I know nothing, and your counter to my assertion makes sense, so...

Has everybody heard about the bird?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:53 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:52 pm I'm not sure if it's 100 percent true, but pilots often come on the boat/ship so that it's not actually the captain who is taking the boat/ship through the canal.
True that, apart that a pilot never touches any controls but only gives orders in place of the captain.
This is true as well for the Columbia Riverboat Pilots Assoc navigating large vessels to and from Portland and the Pacific. The regular crew are at the helm. The pilot gives orders.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

bill_g wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:29 am
RTH10260 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:53 pm
This is true as well for the Columbia Riverboat Pilots Assoc navigating large vessels to and from Portland and the Pacific. The regular crew are at the helm. The pilot gives orders.
It's true in most ports around the world: masters of ships above a certain size who don't hold a pilotage exemption certificate for that port must take on a pilot. Obviously masters of ferries and similar frequent visitors will usually hold those certificates.

Technically it's not correct that the pilot gives orders. The pilot advises. The master (or senior bridge officer) remains in command can still be held responsible if something bad happens.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Because of a "Computer Glitch" apparently.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

British travellers will enjoy the consequences of Brexit. EU legislation provides for extensive consumer protection in the airline industry. The very sovereign UK not any longer.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Happily our younger daughter's flights to Long Island today were not cancelled. :biggrin:
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Volkonski wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:53 pm
Delta lost my luggage for a 7 day cruise.

I am fighting with them now.

They want receipts for everything that was in there---who keeps receipts once you know you won't be returning the clothes?

or something that is a couple years old?????????
Lani

Post by Lani »

That's a lot worse then my recent flight experience. I hope you get your luggage soon.

Since masks were no longer required, I've flown twice to Honolulu. Became ill after both. I woke feeling very tired this morning. Now my fever is 99.9, and I'm feeling very, very achy. Can't eat without vomiting. Already emailed that I'm on sick leave.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

:crying:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm so sorry, Lani. :bighug:

I have to fly to Montreal on Labor Day Weekend. We have to fly through Philly. I am trying to find an alternate way to get there, but nothing else seems to work. Amtrak has suspended service because of Covid. Even though that would take two days, I would do it if I could. We fly back from Chicago. That's simply a short, direct flight, but even then I am tempted to just book the train back. The airfare was free, so I lose nothing.

:crazy:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

That's a lot of pilots. SW employs ~8k pilots, so this represents a sizable percentage.
Fifty Shades of Whey @davenewworld_2 wrote: Over 1,000 pilots for Southwest Airlines are protesting outside Love Field in Dallas for being overworked and understaffed
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

sad-cafe wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:50 pm

They want receipts for everything that was in there---who keeps receipts once you know you won't be returning the clothes?

That’s one of the perks of doing most of my clothes shopping online. Tan linen pants? Oh, that was 2019 J. Jill, print out the invoice. Etc.
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:yeahthat:
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Whatever4 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:20 pm
sad-cafe wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:50 pm

That’s one of the perks of doing most of my clothes shopping online. Tan linen pants? Oh, that was 2019 J. Jill, print out the invoice. Etc.

yea, that is my task tomorrow " :brokenheart: :crying:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “General Stuff”