Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Flying the Unfriendly Skies

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

They made Business Class too comfortable. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Now the premium economy, which we usually upgrade to, will go up in price. :(

I have a friend who for medical reasons flies first class. That will be the end of American for her.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:10 pm https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1583604043028434944

They made Business Class too comfortable. ;)
It's my understanding that all airlines have lost in the First Class segment over the Atlantic. I believe it was in the followup to one of the last economic slumps (2008 or later?) that execs reduced flying, and with the hassle thru airports and iarport security they are now primarily chartering business jets for their travels. Also too the recent developments in the online audiovisual communications market (incl platforms like Zoom) have reduced the need for onsite meetings at either end.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:53 am So this happened.

https://www.axios.com/2022/09/03/tupelo ... stream=top

Police: Rogue plane lands, pilot in custody after threatening to hit Mississippi Walmart
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WREG) — A man who hijacked a plane and threatened to crash it into a Walmart in Tupelo, Mississippi has died in federal custody, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

Corey Wayne Patterson, 29, died at the Federal Detention Center in Miami, Florida on Nov. 14. According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons, he was found unresponsive but his cause of death is unknown at this time.

Authorities say on September 3, Patterson had taken off in a Beechcraft King Air 90 from the Tupelo Regional Airport around 5 a.m. and circled the air for around five hours. He was the only person on board.
Patterson was employed at the airport for 10 years and responsible for fueling planes, which gave him access to the aircraft.At one point, a Walmart in Tupelo was evacuated after the pilot threatened to crash the plane into the business, according to the Tupelo Police Department.

The plane eventually landed in a field near Ashland around 10:30 a.m. and Patterson was arrested. No one was injured during the incident.

The Federal Bureau of Prisons said Patterson arrived at the Federal Detention Center in Miami on November 10 under pretrial status.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Man allegedly held razor to woman's neck on JetBlue flight

Caitlin O'Kane
Fri, November 25, 2022 at 6:34 PM

A Utah man was arrested and charged after allegedly holding a razor blade to a woman's neck on a flight.

Merrill Darrell Fackrell, 41, was on a JetBlue flight from New York to Salt Lake City on Nov. 21 when he allegedly assaulted the passenger next to him, according to the Department of Justice.

He was sitting in a window seat in a row with a married woman and man and engaged in conversation with the woman, according to a criminal complaint filed by the DOJ.

The woman began to watch a movie using headphones, and said she could hear Fackrell continue to talk to himself, but she was not paying attention. Fackrell then put his hand in front of the screen and told her to pause the movie.

The woman alleges that she took off her headphones and realized Fackrell had what appeared to be a knife positioned inches from her neck, according to the DOJ.

The object was later identified as a straight edge razor with a one to two inch blade.

Fackrell allegedly stood up and yelled, "She's going to be ok," and "no one needs to worry." He allegedly told the husband to "get the f*** out of there."

The woman's husband got up to alert a flight attendant. The woman lunged for the aisle and Fackrell tried to grab her shoulder and stop her.

Another passenger seated across the aisle saw Fackrell holding an object, confronted him, and was able to get him to put the object he was holding down on the seat. He passed the object — which turned out to be a razor — to the flight crew for safe keeping, according to the complaint. He then sat next to Fackrell for the duration of the flight.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-allegedl ... 06049.html
/
(original CBS News)
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I read a report that Frontier Air is shutting down their phone customer service. I've never flown Frontier and I'm not sure if this is a great loss or not.

The only product I have that I'm happy with the phone CSRs is DiscoverCard. Everyone else routes me to overseas call centers which I then feel I need to use the Google Translate app to communicate.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

YeeHaw!

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

I sat next to a crazy man once on a flight from Dulles to Heathrow. We were in the middle 4 seats of the plane, my mister to my left and a loud drunken man on the isle to my right. He’d been drinking fairly heavily the whole flight and we were only halfway there when he started bitching about being hungry and where was his Goddamn meal! He mumbled something about going to find the hell out! And as he started to stand up I had some kind of rubber bracelet on my arm that I quickly pulled off and grabbed his arm and said, “Here I’ve got something for you” and put the bracelet on his arm telling him to just sit down and I’d go get the stewardess to bring some food. So while he was trying to focus on what I’d put on his arm I got up and went to the stewardess station and told them we need to get this guy some food PDQ! Which they did and had food on his tray in minutes. I was just relieved that no shit hit the fan but the airline gave me a gift certificate thanking me for my help.

I think people should be limited on how much alcohol they can drink when flying…
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Harrumph, harrumph. I preferred smoking weed in the airplane bathroom, personally. Never got arrested even once, and I smoked weed on airplanes for many years. There's a trick to doing it without leaving any smoke behind.

So, umm ... yeah. First you get stoned, THEN you sit in your seat and enjoy a nice mini-bottle of Scotch.

Excellent! I'm ready for a movie! :biggrin: :daydreaming:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

virtually also too copied by mind to The Stupid thread
Peanut butter jars set off airport alarm in New York, TSA says. Now, a man is arrested

Brendan Rascius
Sat, December 24, 2022 at 12:09 AM GMT+1

Jars of peanut butter stashed in a traveler’s checked luggage at a New York City airport triggered an alarm which resulted in his arrest.

On Thursday, Dec. 22 , TSA officers at John F. Kennedy International Airport opened the checked bag after it set off an alarm when passing through an X-ray, according to a statement from the agency.

They removed two jars of JIF creamy peanut butter from the luggage, each of which contained pieces of a dismantled semi-automatic handgun “artfully concealed inside,” the agency stated.

The parts, including a magazine loaded with .22 caliber bullets, were encased in plastic and shoved into the peanut butter, according to the agency.

When they found the weapon, officials contacted police who confiscated the gun parts and tracked down the man who owned the luggage in an airport terminal, the agency stated. The man, a resident of Rhode Island, was arrested.

“Our officers are good at their jobs and are focused on their mission—especially during the busy holiday travel period,” John Essig, the TSA’s federal security director for JFK Airport, stated.

The man, whose name has not been released, could be slapped with a civil penalty of up to $15,000, according to the TSA.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/peanut-butte ... 01067.html
(oriiginal: Miami Herald)
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

video with selection of confiscated items in article. Seems counterintuitive that tools are considered "waepons".
TSA shows off weapons found in carry-on luggage at Orlando airport

Thu, December 22, 2022 at 1:58 AM GMT+1

Transportation Security Administration (TSA) said a new record has been set at Orlando International Airport where 154 passengers have brought guns to security checkpoints. Firearms must be in checked baggage. All firearms must be properly packed and declared to the airline at check-in, which means unloaded and in a locked, hard-sided case. In additions to guns, some passengers brought knives and other items which could be used as a weapon.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tsa-shows-of ... 32481.html
(original: FOX35)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

I’m watching my sister’s dog while she and her husband are in Wyoming for Christmas with their son’s family. She just messaged me that their Southwest flight was cancelled. They’ve booked a flight into Toronto a few days later than their original flight.
tek

Post by tek »

"Telemedince"?

beyond that, not clear they can reject a note from a doctor seen by telemedicine.. there might be some legal pushback on that.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:32 pm
:think: while I understand that it is required legalese for the situation, I always wonder when you are already short on staff how it works out to fire further workers urgently needed. It's like the military in war time, when you don't follow orders we will execute you rather than have the enemy shoot you.
raison de arizona

WOW: Nashville airport cop threatens to arrest stranded passengers who are standing in line at a Southwest counter to rebook their cancelled flights (1/2)
A lawyer asks the cop to cite the law he was threatening to arrest them under. He cannot. (2/2)
He sites trespassing, since their tickets were canceled, they no longer have a valid ticket. He says. I suppose one could also go with disorderly conduct?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

That's the kind of police officers the 1A Auditors like to encounter :twisted:

I don't think he will be deployed to patrol airports any longer :|
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Wow, is right. :mad:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:41 pm https://twitter.com/bradbatt/status/1607974921392586752
WOW: Nashville airport cop threatens to arrest stranded passengers who are standing in line at a Southwest counter to rebook their cancelled flights (1/2)
A lawyer asks the cop to cite the law he was threatening to arrest them under. He cannot. (2/2)
He sites trespassing, since their tickets were canceled, they no longer have a valid ticket. He says. I suppose one could also go with disorderly conduct?
My understanding is that a police officer has no right to trespass but needs someone with business authority on the premises to ask that a certain person gets trespassed. my understanding is that said business person must first ask that the specified person leaves the premises before a police officer can be invoked. Also too, this seems to me that the ticket counters are in the publically accessible area, it's not up to the officer to decide what is a "business". There may be designated restricted areas of the airport that are only accessible with a ticket, but I still have to see that one (in contrast to premises of bus companies)
raison de arizona

This is interesting and was passed on to me by a pilot, FWIW.
“There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.”

Change is coming. Good change. But it won’t happen overnight. I still believe that Southwest Airlines is the best place to work and I could not imagine myself with any other airline. We will rise again. #WeAreSouthwest

A True Account of What Happened:

If you really want to know what’s happening with SWA… this is the most accurate explainaition. If you’re caught up in this you have my deepest, heart felt apology. And I hope you come back in the future and let us earn back your trust.

By Senior Pilot Larry Lonero:

What happened to Southwest Airlines?
► Show Spoiler
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:17 pm This is interesting and was passed on to me by a pilot, FWIW.
“There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.”

When Herb retired in 2004 Gary Kelly became the new CEO. Gary was an accountant by education and his style leading Southwest Airlines became more focused on finances and less on operations. He did not spend much time on the front lines. He didn’t engage front line employees much. When the CEO doesn’t get out in the trenches the neither do the lower levels of leadership.
This should be shouted from the mountaintops. There are some businesses that should never be run by finance guys. Airlines are one of them, but there are many others. Boeing had an unassailable franchise in the aircraft business while it was run by rivet-pounders (the engineers or manufacturing people who actually designed or built airplanes). But when finance guys took over about 20 years ago, the company headed south in a big way. Quality and safety went to shit along with employee morale. And Airbus exploited the chaos; this year, it will ship around 2x as many airplanes as Boeing. Boeing is so larded up with debt that it is possible they may not be around in five years. We can name a ton of other industries as well: movie studios, oil companies, software companies, and on and on.

To be fair, plenty of other businesses absolutely should be run by finance guys, like insurance companies, banks and commercial real estate operators. In commercial real estate, legendary builders like Trammel Crow, Sam Zell or Gerald Hines wouldn't be able to make it today. And if you put a sales guy in charge of an insurance company, he'll underprice premiums to bring in deals and put himself out of business in the next hurricane or earthquake.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Biotech companies can be added to JohnP's list. One good patent or product, the company expands, the managers move in, then the finance guys, then the scientists move out.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

In a few paragraphs, an explanation of what's wrong with business in the country--and beyond.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Very, very interesting read. Thank you.
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “General Stuff”