Flying the Unfriendly Skies

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

What possible defense is there to that? :eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:28 pm What possible defense is there to that? :eek:
:shrug: I could imagine perhaps on accident leaving a carry-on behind because being rushed. But a baby? :?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I guess they weren’t breaking any laws.
The infant was ultimately reunited with the parents by the time police arrived on the scene and the matter is no longer being investigated, authorities said.

"There is no active investigation due to the fact that the police officer who arrived at the scene found the parents and the infant together. After the officer's preliminary investigation and accordingly, no further investigation was needed," a spokesperson for Israel Police told Insider.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

It's Ryanair. They cater to the stupid while charging for Oxegen.
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Frater I*I wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:43 pm To demonstrate just how much responsibility the FAA has given me I give you pics of what I pulled out of an engine of a Piper Lance II today, a result of the previous owner getting an A&P mech to pencil whip his annual inspections. What you see happened when the new owner was in midflight heading north from Perry FL...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1hoDTAuR2W2JouvE9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/parpjUyfBVdfAMvHA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/96xkpqEShy95jAjB9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bdXgMTArza8jdJag9
So, the valve stem broke and then pinballed the cylinder. Is there any recovery, or does the block / engine get replaced?
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

bill_g wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:07 am :snippity:

So, the valve stem broke and then pinballed the cylinder. Is there any recovery, or does the block / engine get replaced?
Not the stem, but the valve head, the engine is getting sent out for overhaul, the manufacture's facility will make the call on what will have to be replace and what can be made serviceable again. We started removal of the powerplant today.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Frater I*I wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:15 pm
bill_g wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:07 am :snippity:

Not the stem, but the valve head, the engine is getting sent out for overhaul, the manufacture's facility will make the call on what will have to be replace and what can be made serviceable again. We started removal of the powerplant today.
How would an inspection reveal a valve close to failure - cylinder pressure test? Earball the OHV cover?

Signed - Curious Bill the backyard mechanic
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

bill_g wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:58 pm :snippity:

How would an inspection reveal a valve close to failure - cylinder pressure test? Earball the OHV cover?

Borescope inspection with the valve cover off, or through the spark plug hole with the piston half way into the exhaust stroke.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Frater I*I wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:03 pm
bill_g wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:58 pm :snippity:

Borescope inspection with the valve cover off, or through the spark plug hole with the piston half way into the exhaust stroke.
No kidding. Interesting. You can see a crack in a valve (or something). Dual plugs on that cyclinder. So, you get a choice. Thanks.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Why some Brits are also too not liked on some holiday beaches in Spain
Drunk men denied more alcohol launch into attack on England-bound flight, feds say

Brendan Rascius
Mon, February 6, 2023 at 8:01 PM GMT+1

A drunken duo wreaked havoc onboard a transatlantic flight after being denied more alcohol, leading to an emergency landing in Maine, officials said. Both men could face up to 20 years in prison.

The pair, both 36-year-old British men, were passengers on a TUI Airways flight from Mexico to England on Jan. 2, according to a Feb. 2 news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Maine.

Attorneys for the men could not be reached for comment by McClatchy News.

The men, who had been served alcoholic beverages, became agitated when the flight crew denied them any more alcohol, officials said.

In response, they fished out a “large bottle of alcohol from their carry-on luggage and continued to drink, becoming increasingly intoxicated,” officials said. They then became aggressive and used racial slurs.

At one point, one of the men assaulted a flight attendant and the other assaulted a fellow passenger, officials said.

The Federal Aviation Administration was notified that the men had “repeatedly interfered with members of the flight crew and flight attendants” while over U.S. airspace, according to the release.

Following multiple warnings from the captain, the plane made an emergency landing at Bangor International Airport in Maine, and several federal agencies, including the FBI, responded.

The unscheduled stop cost TUI Airways, a British charter company, $26,589, according to the release.

“The safety and security of our customers and crew is always our highest priority, and we have a zero tolerance policy to disruptive behaviour on our flights,” a spokesperson for the airline said in a statement provided to McClatchy News. “The customers involved were offloaded and the flight then continued its journey home shortly after.”

Both men pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court to charges of interference with a flight crew and assault on Feb. 2, one month after the reported in-flight fiasco.

They face a maximum of 20 years in prison for the interference charge and up to a year in prison for the assault charge, officials said. Additionally, they could each have to pay up to $350,000 in fines.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/drunk-men-de ... 49520.html
(original: Miami Herald)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

They won't talk.
Safety investigators subpoena pilots over close call at JFK
Safety investigators say they have issued subpoenas for pilots of an American Airlines plane involved in a close call at New York's Kennedy Airport last month

Federal investigators said Friday they issued subpoenas to force the pilots of an American Airlines jet to sit for recorded interviews about a close call with a Delta plane on a runway at New York's Kennedy Airport last month.

The National Transportation Safety Board said it attempted to interview the crew members three times, but a union representative said the pilots refused to have their statements recorded.

“NTSB has determined that this investigation requires that the flight crew interviews be audio recorded and transcribed by a court reporter to ensure the highest degree of accuracy, completeness, and efficiency,” the agency said in a preliminary report. “As a result of the flight crew’s repeated unwillingness to proceed with a recorded interview, subpoenas for their testimony have been issued.”

The three pilots have seven days to respond to the subpoenas, which direct them to appear for interviews at NTSB headquarters in Washington. American said they are not currently flying for the airline.

NTSB investigators won’t get to hear any conversation that took place among the pilots in the cockpit during the incident — in some cases, a very valuable investigative tool. The recording was taped over when the crew took off for London shortly after the close call.
:snippity:
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/wireStory ... k-97042682
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:33 pm Why some Brits are also too not liked on some holiday beaches in Spain
Drunk men denied more alcohol launch into attack on England-bound flight, feds say

Brendan Rascius
Mon, February 6, 2023 at 8:01 PM GMT+1

A drunken duo wreaked havoc onboard a transatlantic flight after being denied more alcohol, leading to an emergency landing in Maine, officials said. Both men could face up to 20 years in prison.

The pair, both 36-year-old British men, were passengers on a TUI Airways flight from Mexico to England on Jan. 2, according to a Feb. 2 news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Maine.

Attorneys for the men could not be reached for comment by McClatchy News.

The men, who had been served alcoholic beverages, became agitated when the flight crew denied them any more alcohol, officials said.

In response, they fished out a “large bottle of alcohol from their carry-on luggage and continued to drink, becoming increasingly intoxicated,” officials said. They then became aggressive and used racial slurs.

At one point, one of the men assaulted a flight attendant and the other assaulted a fellow passenger, officials said.

The Federal Aviation Administration was notified that the men had “repeatedly interfered with members of the flight crew and flight attendants” while over U.S. airspace, according to the release.

Following multiple warnings from the captain, the plane made an emergency landing at Bangor International Airport in Maine, and several federal agencies, including the FBI, responded.

The unscheduled stop cost TUI Airways, a British charter company, $26,589, according to the release.

“The safety and security of our customers and crew is always our highest priority, and we have a zero tolerance policy to disruptive behaviour on our flights,” a spokesperson for the airline said in a statement provided to McClatchy News. “The customers involved were offloaded and the flight then continued its journey home shortly after.”

Both men pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court to charges of interference with a flight crew and assault on Feb. 2, one month after the reported in-flight fiasco.

They face a maximum of 20 years in prison for the interference charge and up to a year in prison for the assault charge, officials said. Additionally, they could each have to pay up to $350,000 in fines.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/drunk-men-de ... 49520.html
(original: Miami Herald)
Yeahbt they were at decreased mental capacity from the alcohol. How can they be held responsible?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:05 pm They won't talk.
:snippity:
The union and the pilots need to go and read up of 14CFR...once the FAA threatens to yank some pilot certificates and put the airline's 121 operations at stake, someone will start talking into the microphone...

Trent Reznor
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

I just booked flight to DC in OCT for my friend's family and myself with American Airlines....

Neither of the aircraft we'll be on were made in America... :shrug:

Trent Reznor
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Frater I*I wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:38 pm I just booked flight to DC in OCT for my friend's family and myself with American Airlines....

What is made in America?
Some toilet paper and socks.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

neonzx wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:45 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:38 pm I just booked flight to DC in OCT for my friend's family and myself with American Airlines....

What is made in America?
My car's WeatherTech floor mats. Love them. :lovestruck:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:45 pm

What is made in America?
I buy American-made stuff from small vendors. Not that you can do that with aircraft.
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:42 pm
I buy American-made stuff from small vendors. Not that you can do that with aircraft.
Boeing, or as we refer to it in the industry, Crazy Uncle BoBo...

Trent Reznor
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Frater I*I wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:33 am
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:42 pm
Boeing, or as we refer to it in the industry, Crazy Uncle BoBo...
Sadly, their problems are entirely self inflicted. The mess started when they started making accountants into CEOs instead of airplane builders.
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:28 am :snippity:
Sadly, their problems are entirely self inflicted. The mess started when they started making accountants into CEOs instead of airplane builders.
Which resulted in them lying to the FAA...and that kiddies is how your company ends up with a federal microscope shoved up your company's [expletive deleted]...

Trent Reznor
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

also to virtually be filed under The Stupid It Burns ..
Pennsylvania high school student arrested after Airdropping bomb threat during American Airlines flight

Sarah Rumpf
Tue, February 21, 2023 at 11:21 PM GMT+1

A high school student from Pennsylvania was arrested after sending a bomb threat on an American Airlines flight through Apple's Airdrop technology. His threat forced the plane to return to the gate for authorities to search the plane as well as detaining the group of students during their planned humanitarian trip.

According to the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS), as the plane was taxiing in El Paso, Texas heading to Chicago, Illinois, passengers received an Apple Airdrop message reading, "I have a bomb. Would like to share a photo."

One-hundred and twenty-five passengers were flying from El Paso Intl Airport to Chicago O'Hare International Airport when a student from Central Catholic High School Airdropped a bomb threat from their iPhone when the plane was taxiing.

Apple's Airdrop technologies allowed iPhone users to wirelessly transfer images and files to other Mac users within 30 feet of each other. AirDrop does not require an internet connection.

The potential bomb threat forced crew members to return the A319 aircraft to the gate where the FBI West Texas Joint Terrorism Task Force stepped in to search the plane. The bomb squad reportedly searched the aircraft, passengers and luggage until authorities deemed the threat "non-credible," according to the DPS.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pennsylvania ... 07212.html
(original; Fox News)
tek

Post by tek »

Did someone get arrested?

I sure hope so.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

tek wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:22 am Did someone get arrested?

I sure hope so.
Yep, first sentence "A high school student from Pennsylvania was arrested..."
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:47 pm
tek wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:22 am Did someone get arrested?

I sure hope so.
Yep, first sentence "A high school student from Pennsylvania was arrested..."
There's a Central Catholic HS here, so he's probably from the area. Stupid and dangerous.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Airline Fined $225,000 After Police Had to Free Passengers From Flight in Florida

Ryan Erik King
Sun, March 12, 2023 at 12:10 AM GMT+1

The U.S. Department of Transportation has decided to fine German carrier Eurowings $225,000 for an incident that happened in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, four years ago. Transatlantic flights are already uncomfortable experiences at their core. Passengers in economy have to spend at least a third of a day in a cramped seat, shoulder to shoulder. Now, imagine crossing the ocean and spending an extra five and a half hours trapped on the plane as it sat on the tarmac.

In July 2019, Eurowings Flight EW1182 was traveling from Dusseldorf Airport in Germany to Miami International Airport. Due to a weather-related closure, the Eurowings Airbus A330 was forced to divert to Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. The A330 landed at 5:14 p.m. local time and parked at a remote stand after spending 10 hours flying and 30 minutes holding in hopes of landing in Miami.

The Eurowings flight crew requested to deplane the passengers and transport them to the terminal by bus but was unable to fulfill the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) requirements to do so. CBP required that checked baggage be offloaded if the passengers were to be deplaned, but there were no ground handlers available to offload the bags. The passengers were stuck on the plane.

Two hours later, ground handlers were finally available. However, the Eurowings flight crew declined to deplane the passengers and requested to fly to Miami. The Airbus A330 sat on the tarmac for an additional three and a half hours until Eurowings was informed that Miami International Airport was still closed due to the poor weather conditions.

That’s when passengers, restless and fed up with the situation, called local police. With police assistance, the flight’s 268 passengers finally deplaned at 10:50 p.m. in Fort Lauderdale.

In response to this week’s fine from the U.S. Department of Transportation, Eurowings stated that it didn’t operate regularly scheduled services out of Fort Lauderdale, only diverted there as a last resort, and didn’t have the necessary services there for the flight in question. The German carrier feels that the tarmac delay was caused by forces beyond its control and that it shouldn’t face the fine.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/airline-fin ... 00070.html

Return to “General Stuff”