Chilidog

Happy Moon day.

Post by Chilidog »

55 years ago,
"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."
John Thomas8

Happy Moon day.

Post by John Thomas8 »

I'm saddened thinking about that "what might have been".
Volkonski
Verified:

Happy Moon day.

Post by Volkonski »

Chilidog wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 6:07 pm 55 years ago,
"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."
I remember where I was then. At the University of New Hampshire Summer Youth Music School. Even though it was after curfew the dorm monitors let us crowd into the 1st floor lounge to watch on a 19" black and white TV. Very exciting.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Happy Moon day.

Post by Foggy »

I was 16, we stayed up and watched it all.

We landed men on the Moon. Back when our tech was in its infancy (Narrator: we're still in tech's infancy).

That is 758 kinds of awesome. Maybe more.
I am living in a world far beyond the scope of my imagination. Every time the planet rotates, I wake up in a brand new world full of wonders.
Volkonski
Verified:

Happy Moon day.

Post by Volkonski »

Walter Cronkite on CBS expressed that excitement for the whole nation.
:biggrin:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater

Happy Moon day.

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, and we all thought it was the very pinnacle of human achievement, which it was at the time. I look back now, 55 years later, and it's surreal to me how those primitive Earthlings managed to put men on the Moon. My car has more and better computers than they had in their spaceship and their landing capsule. The cameras they brought to show us what was happening weren't even digital, they were a black and white mess. That's how bleeding primitive they were.

There's a Moon landing capsule in the hangar deck museum of the Yorktown aircraft carrier in Charleston, South Carolina. I spent many nights in the ship, with the Y-Guides program and my two boys.
I am living in a world far beyond the scope of my imagination. Every time the planet rotates, I wake up in a brand new world full of wonders.
Chilidog

Happy Moon day.

Post by Chilidog »

The fact that the computer systems were so primative back then was more of a blessing than a hindrance.

When problems happened, and the did, the issues were able to be quickly resolved.

Unfortunately, modern, high tech systems are much more sensitive to damage from high energy particles and space radiation. That is one of the issues that NASA has had to grapple with in the Artemis program.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Happy Moon day.

Post by northland10 »

I may have watched. I may have not watched it. I don't remember.

ETA, I may have spit up during it. I may have smiled, but that may have been gas. I don't remember.
101010 :towel:
Mrich

Happy Moon day.

Post by Mrich »

We were at my uncle's house. It was late and I fell asleep but my dad woke me up to watch Armstrong step onto the surface, saying "you'll remember this your entire life." Thank you, Dad!

There's a channel called "Story TV", and they devoted Wednesday to airing shows dedicated to NASA and Apollo 11. I taped several of the shows and watched "Failure Is Not An Option" last night. It describes the beginning of NASA, the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs. I found it excellent.

If you want to watch it, it's on youtube - 90 minutes long:

Edited to add: The documentary is narrated by Scott Glenn, who pronounces Gemini "Jeh-mih-nye"; however, NASA's official pronunciation is "Jeh-mih-nee". Scott Glenn played Alan Shepard in "The Right Stuff".
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Happy Moon day.

Post by keith »

John Thomas8 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 6:34 pm I'm saddened thinking about that "what might have been".
:yeahthat:
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
keith

Happy Moon day.

Post by keith »

Also the 'true' story about how the cameras were thought up is told in the movie "Fly Me To The Moon", in a theatre near you now.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Happy Moon day.

Post by RTH10260 »

tsk tsk tsk ... and nobody speaks about the moon landing hoax and the real thing being filmed in a Arizona / New Mexico / California desert :twisted:

*** ducks and runs ***
Foggy
Dick Tater

Happy Moon day.

Post by Foggy »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Happy Moon day.

Post by RTH10260 »

BUT... But... but... the prevailing winds on that day .... 8-)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Happy Moon day.

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, he's looking at it and thinking, "Awful windy today, out here in the Arizona desert."
keith

Happy Moon day.

Post by keith »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:29 am tsk tsk tsk ... and nobody speaks about the moon landing hoax and the real thing being filmed in a Arizona / New Mexico / California desert :twisted:

*** ducks and runs ***
Yeah its all explained in the movie I mentioned above "Fly Me To The Moon". It was filmed in Cape Canaveral by Woody Harrelson and Scarlet Johansen.

Return to “Astronomy”