An Overview Of The US Army's Civil War Longarms

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

If you do watch, pay attention to the last 5 minutes.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

My great-great-grandfather was a surgeon from Mississippi during the War, and he was fully immersed in the results of those rifles. I have all the letters he wrote to his wife while he was away from home.
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

I got me a couple of them Springfield Trapdoors in my collection of 2 long guns. Inherited from my dad. They spent 50 years wrapped in a flowered sheet under my parents’ bedroom (several different houses, same location), now in my hall closet in carrying bags. Pretty sure they haven’t been fired in this OR the last century. Can’t figure out what to do with them as the barrels are kinda rusty.

(I sold the WWII gun along with some paperwork from the Navy authorizing possession of said weapon.)
IMG_3029.jpeg
IMG_3029.jpeg (54.79 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Whatever4 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:00 pm Pretty sure they haven’t been fired in this OR the last century. Can’t figure out what to do with them as the barrels are kinda rusty.

(I sold the WWII gun along with some paperwork from the Navy authorizing possession of said weapon.)

:snippity:
There are collectors out there that would easily be willing to buy them for restoration...

Seeing as the paper you presented said with bayonet, it would either be a M1903 Springfield bolt action rifle, or an M1 Garand semi auto rifle, both chamber in 30-06 caliber....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”