Protests at Universities across the fruited plain

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:17 pm The police were full of shit? Say it ain’t so!
Charges dropped against all 57 arrested in connection to UT-Austin pro-Palestinian protest
:snippity:
https://www.statesman.com/story/news/lo ... 468467007/
Justice! :dance:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

The new waterboarding. Ha. I kid.
Rachel Louise Just @RLJnews wrote: ASU has now turned on the sprinklers to deter pro-Palestine protesters. Protesters are putting bags and items on top of the sprinklers to stop them from spraying.

One of the ways protesters have stopped sprinklers from spraying themselves
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Very dangerous. They're lucky they didn't get plugged.
Brandon Friedman @BFriedmanDC wrote: While Indiana University having a confirmed police "sniper" on the roof overlooking peaceful protests is unhinged, just from a military standpoint, I find it hilarious that this cop "sniper" got snuck up on and filmed at close range by someone coming from the rear
Margaret Menge @togdali wrote: Sniper on the roof of the Indiana Memorial Union at #IU. Gun pointed down at peaceful Gaza protesters in Dunn Meadow. This is 4 hours after the arrest of 22 students and 2 professors in the meadow. Have never seen anything like this on this campus.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Handy dandy diagram put out by Columbia student protestors.
raison de arizona

Rules for radicals?
Lily Kepner @lilykepner wrote: New protest rules form today: @UTAustin says those who have previously been arrested for trespassing aren’t allowed on campus. I asked if it matters if charges were dropped, a UT spokesperson said it doesn’t. @statesman
raison de arizona

Hmm.
Abier @abierkhatib wrote: THIS IS WHAT THEY WILLINGLY SHOW US. Imagine what they think and do in secret.
► Show Spoiler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Between squelching free speech and beating up elderly and middle-aged profs, this tweet speaks for many.

raison de arizona

Democracy Now! @democracynow wrote: “I literally felt that I was in a war zone.”

Emory University professor Emil' Keme describes being arrested while defending student antiwar protesters in what is an unprecedented expansion of campus suppression to include faculty arrests.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:33 pm I liked what a student interviewed at a protest said the other day:
I AM:
  • pro-Palestine
  • pro-Israel
  • anti-Hamas
  • anti-Netanyahu
That about sums it up.
:clap: My impression is that this is essentially what all the on campus protesters basically have to say as well. As far as I can tell, the antisemitic remarks have been being made by people off campus, who can't seem to come up with a student ID to prove they are students at any University. They are usurping the protests for their own ends and possibly to also put the student protesters in bad light.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona

It's a bad look.
Tiberius @ecomarxi wrote: They want you to believe the Chair of the Philosophy department is the threat to western values and not the masked, armed man brutalising her for expressing anti-war sentiment
Philip Proudfoot @PhilipProudfoot wrote: A masked police officer arresting the Chair of the Philosophy department at Emory University for taking part in anti-genocide protests. This feels like a historic image.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:46 pm Very dangerous. They're lucky they didn't get plugged.
Brandon Friedman @BFriedmanDC wrote: While Indiana University having a confirmed police "sniper" on the roof overlooking peaceful protests is unhinged, just from a military standpoint, I find it hilarious that this cop "sniper" got snuck up on and filmed at close range by someone coming from the rear
Margaret Menge @togdali wrote: Sniper on the roof of the Indiana Memorial Union at #IU. Gun pointed down at peaceful Gaza protesters in Dunn Meadow. This is 4 hours after the arrest of 22 students and 2 professors in the meadow. Have never seen anything like this on this campus.
I'm not sure that's a rifle. The tripod appears to be mounted too far back on the barrel so maybe it's just some sort of spotting scope or something?
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

This is going down on their permanent record.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Dave from down under wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:43 pm Scroll through the images at

https://sunwayfoto.com/products/sunwyaf ... rbon-fiber
And see how far forward the tripod is mounted on the rifle.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Yes -

With setting up your tripod clamp you can put if further forward for greater barrel stability = accuracy.

But if you want the greatest field of fire you put it as near the trigger guard as you can.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I haven't watched any videos about these protests and read only a few things. As far as I can tell, there are "encampments" which I guess are basically old timey sit-ins (now "occupy" I guess). Are any of the college students actually violent? So the UT students got arrested for trespass (then charges dropped)...is that what's mostly happening?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
raison de arizona

Yeah, well, stationing snipers over students tends to do that.
IU on Strike @IUonStrike wrote: Incredibly brave testimony from IU Associate Dean for Graduate Education Elizabeth Dunn:

Whitten's repression has broken "the fundamental link between us and our students."

"There's a high likelihood I'll be fired today."
raison de arizona

Word on the street is that the ATL police train with the Israeli Army. No idea if that is true, but it would certainly explain a lot of what has been going down at Emory.

Bonus John Lewis Emory clip, it wasn't always like this there.
► Show Spoiler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 am Word on the street is that the ATL police train with the Israeli Army. No idea if that is true, but it would certainly explain a lot of what has been going down at Emory.
It's true.
https://www.11alive.com/article/news/wo ... ad498cc949
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:20 am
raison de arizona wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 am Word on the street is that the ATL police train with the Israeli Army. No idea if that is true, but it would certainly explain a lot of what has been going down at Emory.
It's true.
https://www.11alive.com/article/news/wo ... ad498cc949
Fascinating. And it goes a long way to explain why the ATL police would respond so violently to protests they view as anti-Israel. Doesn’t excuse it.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

There's a lot of that going around these days.

lita
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Not a lot to say except I support the protesters and I deplore the actions of USC, where I attended law school. :mad:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
raison de arizona

IU on Strike @IUonStrike wrote: This time, Indiana State Police made targeted arrests against vocal pro-Palestinian speakers. This isn’t about a fake rule they just passed, this is open political repression.
raison de arizona

Read Let This Radicalize You @JoshuaPHilll wrote: Students at Northeastern University block police vans from leaving with arrested students. You love to see it.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Ayman Mohyeldin has been providing outstanding coverage of the murders in Israel and the subsequent genocide in Gaza.

Tonight he is absolutely killing the various state reactions to the student demonstrations. He's making the connection between freedom of speech and freedom to protest and the SCOTUS oral arguments about absolute immunity, making point that Alito et al. are expressing their lack of concern for fuckhead's crimes in favor of great concern about the supposedly over-stepping response of the justice department. The nexus is the need to quell dissent. Chilling.

The only reporter I've seen who doesn't waste two seconds questioning the motivations and culpability (gag) of the majority peaceful protestors. I love Ayman.

So. Damn Good.

Oh, and we are fucked. #lita

Return to “Current Politics”