Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Australia

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Australia

Post by Foggy »

I know, right? If you can trick a Scottish reporter lady, you could easily trick ol' Wifehorn. She has no desire to visit Oz anyway, whereas I would love to spend months there.

But you can only trick her for a period of time, and then she starts thinking about stuff. I think y'all remember, long before I married ol' Wifehorn I had three long-term (at least three years each) relationships with other women, and all of them were extremely smart and had super-strong personalities. That's just who I'm attracted to, for whatever reason.

And you can trick women like that only briefly. Ol' Wifehorn would be so interested in learning about drop bears, she'd tell all her friends, and her friends are smart too also, and very quickly one of them would tell her that I was feeding her a load of crap. I am no spring chicken anymore; I have experience with these things. ;)

Then things might get interesting around here. :shock:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Has everybody heard about the bird?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:04 am I know, right? If you can trick a Scottish reporter lady, you could easily trick ol' Wifehorn. She has no desire to visit Oz anyway, whereas I would love to spend months there.

But you can only trick her for a period of time, and then she starts thinking about stuff. I think y'all remember, long before I married ol' Wifehorn I had three long-term (at least three years each) relationships with other women, and all of them were extremely smart and had super-strong personalities. That's just who I'm attracted to, for whatever reason.

And you can trick women like that only briefly. Ol' Wifehorn would be so interested in learning about drop bears, she'd tell all her friends, and her friends are smart too also, and very quickly one of them would tell her that I was feeding her a load of crap. I am no spring chicken anymore; I have experience with these things. ;)

Then things might get interesting around here. :shock:
Off Topic
True story: 32 years ago, pre-Google and such instant fact checks, when I graduated from NYU, I then celebrated with a 6-week summer tour of Europe with two friends. Two of us were history majors. The third -- my buddy's on-again, off-again girlfriend -- was a psych major. So everywhere we went for weeks, Erik and I would make :shit: up and tell it to Amy with a straight face. Eventually, we had to reveal how badly we'd been pulling the wool over her eyes and I took off running immediately after the punchline hit. It didn't end up too badly, though -- they've been together since then, married for 25 years or so, with some great kids. And now she has Google to fall back on. :)
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

To add to Mrs Foggy's list of reasons not to come to Australia because everything attacks you...

Please add......

BUTTERFLIES !!!!!!!!! :eek:

yes...

BUTTERFLIES !!!!!!!!! :eek:

In our garden we have a species of territorial butterfies - they don't like anyone in their bit of Oz and will attack you should you enter their bit of the garden..

being butterflies they can't do much to you.. :shrug:

but if they could they would!!!!!
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Dave from down under wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:01 pm In our garden we have a species of territorial butterfies - they don't like anyone in their bit of Oz and will attack you should you enter their bit of the garden..

being butterflies they can't do much to you.. :shrug:

but if they could they would!!!!!
They can wait cleverly until you're holding something dangerous and awkward, and then flit around and blind you.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Dave from down under

Or when you are talking, fly down your throat..
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I'm adding "territorial butterflies" to my list of oxymorons.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

In horseworld, "flitting" butterflies are known as Kamikaze Butterflies. My Maybelline, half AQ and half Thoroughbred, never saw a butterfly that she didn't try to run from.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

it's wet down under

story on flooding conditions, in general, latest been June 2022

Hint: don't build in flood plains.

comment: i miss the recommendation to build on stilts and keep ground floor unused or risk loss.
keith

Post by keith »

We've sorta stopped reporting on floods in Australia lately cause they have been happening with such regularity.

Many towns in New South Wales have been flooded 3 times in the last 4 months. They just get the mud swept out of their houses or shops, and get the insurance inspection scheduled and they get hit again.

They started talking about Lismore around the 19:20 mark. My nephew lives outside Lismore. The flood came up to just under his house floorboards. He was really lucky. He lost a hundred thousand dollars worth of solar panels and batteries and associated electronics that he had on loan from his suppliers (he is partners in a solar installer company), insurance covered that. His place served as the postal drop off for weeks because his place was the only place the Post Office could get to for a while.

You guize keep complaining about the price of fuel in North American places, well give a thought for us poor Aussies because iceberg lettuce costs upwards of TWELVE DOLLARS a head in Melbourne (that's in Aussie Pesos - so about $8.15 American) because the crops have been flooded several times - the supply chain is broken at the very first link. Thanks Biden.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Inevitably news media never report "<insert far away country> is having pleasant weather, typical for the time of year".

But the news from Oz seems to oscillate between "worst drought evah!!!" and "worst floods evah!!!" interspersed with "worst plague of mice evah!!!"

I assume climate change is playing a part in all this. Plus population growth and short memories, hence "that flood plain looks a nice place to build on."
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:45 am But the news from Oz seems to oscillate between "worst drought evah!!!" and "worst floods evah!!!" interspersed with "worst plague of mice evah!!!"
You forgotted fires. Oz had wicked fires that killed a lot of animals and destroyed a ton of trees just a few years ago.
keith

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:56 am
Sam the Centipede wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:45 am But the news from Oz seems to oscillate between "worst drought evah!!!" and "worst floods evah!!!" interspersed with "worst plague of mice evah!!!"
You forgotted fires. Oz had wicked fires that killed a lot of animals and destroyed a ton of trees just a few years ago.
Yeahbut, fires happen in Spain an France too.

Can't wait for the Tour de France to go pedalling past some fire ravaged landscape.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Being a native Californian, I know what happens when you have a huge fire that destroys all the trees, and afterwards you get big floods.

It's no fun. :(
Dave from down under

My Country

The love of field and coppice,
Of green and shaded lanes.
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins,
Strong love of grey-blue distance
Brown streams and soft, dim skies
I know but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror –
The wide brown land for me!

A stark white ring-barked forest
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon.
Green tangle of the brushes,
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die –
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady, soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the Rainbow Gold,
For flood and fire and famine,
She pays us back threefold –
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze.

Dorothea Mackellar
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:lovestruck:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Very cool, but what's the "Rainbow Gold" and why is it capitalized and how much would they pay to borrow "Fogbow Gold" for whatever it is, hmm? :?: :batting:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Fancy Brenda 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️ (they/them) @SpillerOfTea wrote: I present, for your viewing pleasure, footage of Liz Truss getting out of a car, and Australian media being like, “Who the fuck is that?”

Perfect.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

tsk tsk tsk - and she just recently handed you Australians the bestest evahh trade deal with open access to the UK markets :!:
Dave from down under

“I say! damn ungrateful colonials, what!” :faint:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

I wish we had no reason to know Liz Truss. :(
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Dave from down under

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-29/ ... /101485134

History made as High Court has majority-female bench after Jayne Jagot appointment

For the first time in Australian history, the highest court in the land will be dominated by female justices from the middle of October.

Key points:

Justice Jayne Jagot will replace retiring Justice Patrick Keane
Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus made the announcement this morning
Justice Jagot has served on the Federal Court since 2008
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:groupdance: :mbounce: :stamp:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Australia

Post by RTH10260 »

video recently posted to Youtube

Discovery

In November 2006 Sydney-based recreational scuba divers from a private group, No Frills Divers, located the remains of Ban and Ashibe's missing M24 midget submarine off Sydney's Northern Beaches. The wreck was found approximately 5 kilometres (2.7 nmi; 3.1 mi) offshore from Bungan Head near Newport in over fifty metres (one hundred and sixty feet) of water. Details of the discovery were broadcast on the Nine Network's 60 Minutes television program on 26 November 2006, and the announcement confirmed by the Minister for Planning, in conjunction with relevant Commonwealth government agencies on 1 December 2006.
M24 Japanese Midget Submarine wreck site
Historic site in New South Wales, Australia

M24 Japanese Midget Submarine wreck site is a heritage-listed former midget submarine and now archaeological site located in unincorporated waters off Sydney's Northern Beaches in New South Wales, Australia. The Ko-hyoteki-class midget submarine (also known as a Type A midget submarine) was designed by the Japanese Imperial Navy and built from 1941 to 1942 by Kure Naval Yard or Ourazaki Naval Yard. The site was added to the New South Wales State Heritage Register on 7 December 2007.
Dave from down under

Australia

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-15/ ... /101651156

Thirsty south-west carpet python makes surprising stretch for water in WA garden
---------------
Has a lovely photo of him stretching for his drink :)

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”