Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Australia

Dave from down under

Re: Australia

Post by Dave from down under »

Personally these shits give me the runs...

7 years hard labour would be too lenient..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-09/ ... /100447412

A court has heard former NSW Labor minister Ian Macdonald’s health conditions, including "chronic constipation" should be considered in sentencing him for a mine licence conspiracy.

Key points:
Macdonald, Obeid and Moses Obeid were found guilty of conspiring over a coal licence
Macdonald's lawyer argued his client was at high risk of catching COVID-19 in jail
The judge noted Macdonald has had his first vaccine and was awaiting his second

:snippity:

The project made $30 million for the Obeid family, and they stood to make another $30 million from it.
Dave from down under

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-09- ... /100364028

Migrants to Australia share their stories of culture shock

There are the things you might expect when moving to Australia. The hot summers. The weird and dangerous wildlife. The accent.

Key points:

Some migrants were shocked about the relaxed approach to education
They also expected Australian weather to be warmer
The country's diverse cuisine came as a welcome surprise
But then there are the things that catch you completely off guard.

From daylight saving to giant insects — for new Australians, navigating their adopted country can be a dizzying mix of misunderstandings and surprises.

We asked six people who emigrated to places across Australia about what shocked them most.

Here's what they told us.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:47 am https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-09- ... /100364028

Migrants to Australia share their stories of culture shock

There are the things you might expect when moving to Australia. The hot summers. The weird and dangerous wildlife. The accent.

Key points:

Some migrants were shocked about the relaxed approach to education
They also expected Australian weather to be warmer
The country's diverse cuisine came as a welcome surprise
But then there are the things that catch you completely off guard.

From daylight saving to giant insects — for new Australians, navigating their adopted country can be a dizzying mix of misunderstandings and surprises.

We asked six people who emigrated to places across Australia about what shocked them most.

Here's what they told us.
Nobody mentioned drop bears, though.
Dave from down under

To speak of them is to summon them!

(Those that meet them do not survive to tell the tale… ;) )
rossgw

Post by rossgw »

You have to get properly equipped to handle them.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dave from down under

She’s a great sport :)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Whe we were at the zoo heading into the Blue Mountains, we were told that koalas don't have rib cages, so they are pretty fragile. I had never heard that before.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Domenico

Post by Domenico »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:56 pm Whe we were at the zoo heading into the Blue Mountains, we were told that koalas don't have rib cages, so they are pretty fragile. I had never heard that before.
I have lived in Australia all my life and I've never heard that before, because it's not true.

From the interwebz:
"Koala rib cage
It's a misconception that Koalas don't have a rib cage and that is why they don't like to be picked up. ... However, while many mammals–most marsupials and primates like us–have 13 thoracic vertebrae and therefore 13 pairs of ribs, Koalas have only 11 pairs; the least of any recorded marsupial species."
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Domenico wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:18 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:56 pm Whe we were at the zoo heading into the Blue Mountains, we were told that koalas don't have rib cages, so they are pretty fragile. I had never heard that before.
I have lived in Australia all my life and I've never heard that before, because it's not true.

From the interwebz:
"Koala rib cage
It's a misconception that Koalas don't have a rib cage and that is why they don't like to be picked up. ... However, while many mammals–most marsupials and primates like us–have 13 thoracic vertebrae and therefore 13 pairs of ribs, Koalas have only 11 pairs; the least of any recorded marsupial species."
I guess that explains where Eve came from ;)

and Australia is the lost paradise :biggrin:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Domenico wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:18 pm

From the interwebz:
"Koala rib cage
Thanks. I've wondered about that.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:46 pm
Koalas have only 11 pairs; the least of any recorded marsupial species."
Thanks. I've wondered about that.
A suburban Sydney scene:, on a patio:
"How's the barbie coming along mate?"
"Look mate, that drongo butcher cheated is on this rack of koala ribs! He's pinched a couple!"
"Nah mate, this bloke from the University of Wollongong on the idiot box explained …"
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Koalas are becoming endangered, and its nothing to do with Humans. It's to do with the fact that they are so fucking lazy they wont wander off from their family groups to reproduce, so they are getting crippled with inbreeding.

So you would think that you could move Koalas around to promote ? Well, there's another problem. Koalas eat one anothers shit. So if they are planted in another tribe and eat the shit from that Koala tribe, they introduce Bacteria they are not immune to into their guts, which makes them violently sick.

So people are talking about doing shit transplants to maintain the speices.

Koalas are dumb as fuck, and honestly since learning about all this I'm perfectly willing to let Darwin do his thing.
Hic sunt dracones
Dave from down under

Add to that the majority of Koalas have…

Chlamydia, a sexually transmitted disease (STD), affects humans as well as koalas; the bacterium Chlamydia trachomatis targets humans, while koalas are sickened by Chlamydia pecorum. Left untreated, chlamydia can cause infertility and permanent blindness in both species.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:04 pm A suburban Sydney scene:, on a patio:
"How's the barbie coming along mate?"
"Look mate, that drongo butcher cheated is on this rack of koala ribs! He's pinched a couple!"
"Nah mate, this bloke from the University of Wollongong on the idiot box explained …"
"Well, that may be, but this professor named Bruce from the University of Woolloomoolloo said ..."
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Showin' yer age, John P, showin' yer age …
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I fear that with all the hoo-ha about the riot attacks against the Construction Union by Spreadneck assholes this week, and the French being stabbed in the back by AUUKUS over submarines, folks in the real world may have missed the really important Australian story from the week before: Australia's Attorney General resigned because he refused to flip on his secret controllers dark money doners.

Christian Porter and Linda Reynolds stripped of roles as fallout spreads from Parliament scandals

The context from Wikipedia:
In late February 2021, Australian media reported an alleged rape of a 16-year-old girl in 1988. It alleged that the male offender was now (in 2021) a federal cabinet minister. She had written a long statement for her solicitor in 2019, and had contacted several politicians and police. She died by suicide in 2020 and her statement was sent anonymously in February 2021 to the prime minister and several other members of parliament.[53][54][55] On 2 March 2021 the police announced there was "insufficient admissible evidence" to secure a prosecution.[56] Porter announced on 3 March 2021 that he was the person named in the allegations.[57] He confirmed he met the woman in Sydney when he was 17, but denied the accusation and any sexual contact with her. He also announced he would take immediate leave to look after his mental health following the accusations.[56][58][59]

On 15 March 2021, Porter launched a defamation claim against the ABC and reporter Louise Milligan, for publishing the allegation. His claim argued that although the original allegation did not name him, he was "readily identifiable" and that the article was intended to harm him.[60] The claim was withdrawn on 31 May 2021, with the ABC paying the costs of mediation and appending an editor's note to the original article stating that "The ABC did not contend that the serious accusations could be substantiated to the applicable legal standard". However, no damages were awarded.[61] On 24 June 2021, the original dossier detailing the rape allegation against Porter was made publicly available by the Federal Court of Australia.[62][63]

In September 2021, Porter revealed to Federal Parliament in an interest declaration that the defamation case was funded in part by an anonymous donor, though he did not indicate the value of the donation nor his overall legal fees.[64][65] A donation was made through a blind trust called the Legal Services Trust and Porter claimed "as a potential beneficiary I have no access to information about the conduct and funding of the trust".[64][65] Porter's receival of this donation was criticised by the opposition saying that he should not have accepted an anonymous donation and that it's in the public interest to know who made this donation.[64] Porter also received criticism from Malcolm Turnbull, who described the situation as if Porter had said "my legal fees were paid by a guy in a mask who dropped off a chaff bag full of cash".[66] The declaration also stated that his barrister, Sue Chrysanthou, discounted her typical fees to represent him in the case.[64][65] Porter tendered his resignation from the frontbench on 19 September 2021.[67]
(FYI: Malcolm Turnbull is a former Prime Minister, who was stabbed in the back by Porter and current Prime Minister Scott 'Scotty From Marketinig' Morrison).
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Lani

Post by Lani »

Does anyone know what Papadopoulos is ranting about? I don't have a twit account, so I have no idea - except apparently Oz is a terrible place.
The few replies I could read sound like Qidiots & Covidiots.
George Papadopoulos on Twitter.png
George Papadopoulos on Twitter.png (35.25 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
We still have our guns

Actually George, it's about to become a warning for our government... give it some time.
I can sense a turn of events very soon.

New World Order

I lost an account by tweeting about Australian fascism.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
bob

Post by bob »

Lani wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:06 pm Does anyone know what Papadopoulos is ranting about? I don't have a twit account, so I have no idea - except apparently Oz is a terrible place.
The few replies I could read sound like Qidiots & Covidiots.
Yes, covidiots. The Australian government isn't uselessly throwing its hands up in the air when people are intentionally violating its lockdown rules.
Image ImageImage
Lani

Post by Lani »

Thanks!

Have the Aussies started sending the unvaxxed to death camps yet?
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
bob

Post by bob »

Lani wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:03 pmHave the Aussies started sending the unvaxxed to death camps yet?
Almost. (The covidiots are fearmongering that next step is imminent.)
Image ImageImage
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

FWIW

Domenico

Post by Domenico »

Avi Yemini is a dickhead, similar to the A1 frauditers in the USA.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Deathsantis on Australia:
Just as Australians don’t understand the American psyche when it comes to things like gun rights, many freedom loving Americans just do not get why most Australians have tolerated such harsh limits on their liberty during the pandemic.

That’s despite the huge disparity in infection and death rates between the two countries.

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has harnessed this disbelief, using Australia as a point of contrast to his own live-and-let-live (or die) approach to COVID.

“That’s not a free country. It’s not a free country at all,” he told a crowd at an event in Tampa.

“In fact, I wonder why we would still have the same diplomatic relations when they’re doing that.

“Is Australia freer than communist China right now? I don’t know....
https://thenewdaily.com.au/opinion/2021 ... 2020211002

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”