On Death and Dying

Whatever4

On Death and Dying

Post by Whatever4 »

Very profound article about end of life moments. Many of us are at the age where our parents, spouses, and friends are at the ends of their lives. :oldlady: I’ve been thinking about this transition for a while.
What Deathbed Visions Teach Us About Living
Researchers are documenting a phenomenon that seems to help the dying, as well as those they leave behind.

:snippity:

The study wasn’t designed to answer how these visions differ neurologically from hallucinations or delusions. Rather, Kerr saw his role as chronicler of his patients’ experiences. Borrowing from social-science research methods, Kerr, Banas and their colleagues based their study on daily interviews with patients in the 22-bed inpatient unit at the Hospice campus in the hope of capturing the frequency and varied subject matter of their visions. Patients were screened to ensure that they were lucid and not in a confused or delirious state. The research, published in 2014 in The Journal of Palliative Medicine, found that visions are far more common and frequent than other researchers had found, with an astonishing 88 percent of patients reporting at least one vision. (Later studies in Japan, India, Sweden and Australia confirm that visions are common. The percentages range from about 20 to 80 percent, though a majority of these studies rely on interviews with caregivers and not patients.)

In the last 10 years, Kerr has hired a permanent research team who expanded the studies to include interviews with patients receiving hospice care at home and with their families, deepening the researchers’ understanding of the variety and profundity of these visions. They can occur while patients are asleep or fully conscious. Dead family members figure most prominently, and by contrast, visions involving religious themes are exceedingly rare. Patients often relive seminal moments from their lives, including joyful experiences of falling in love and painful ones of rejection. Some dream of the unresolved tasks of daily life, like paying bills or raising children. Visions also entail past or imagined journeys — whether long car trips or short walks to school. Regardless of the subject matter, the visions, patients say, feel real and entirely unique compared with anything else they’ve ever experienced. They can begin days, even weeks, before death. Most significant, as people near the end of their lives, the frequency of visions increases, further centering on deceased people or pets. It is these final visions that provide patients, and their loved ones, with profound meaning and solace.

Kerr’s latest research is focused on the emotional transformation he has often observed in patients who experience such visions. The first in this series of studies, published in 2019, measured psychological and spiritual growth among two groups of hospice patients: those who had visions and a control group of those who did not. Patients rated their agreement with statements including, “I changed my priorities about what is important in life,” or “I have a better understanding of spiritual matters.” Those who experienced end-of-life visions agreed more strongly with those statements, suggesting that the visions sparked inner change even at the end of life. “It’s the most remarkable of our studies,” Kerr told me. “It highlights the paradox of dying, that while there is physical deterioration, they are growing and finding meaning. It highlights what patients are telling us, that they are being put back together.” :snippity:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/12/maga ... =url-share
My mother went through these moments in her last hours. After a day of inactivity, she suddenly had strength and her mind seemed to be in a world between. She was at one point frantic to leave for fear she’d be late, at another speaking as if her departed family members were near. Her last words were “I’m over… to forever.”

Sometimes I readily believe it’s brain chemistry. Sometimes I believe in a bit more.
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

On Death and Dying

Post by bill_g »

I've *never* had visions of angels or anything like that. Ever. Never. Nope. But I'm still on the right side of the dirt too. That might have something to do with it.
MN-Skeptic

On Death and Dying

Post by MN-Skeptic »

When my brother-in-law was dying from pancreatic cancer, he commented to my sister-in-law about the two beautiful women who were at the end of his bed. I'm fine with the thought that they were angels.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”