Voting Rights / Lawsuits / Voter Supression / HR1 / S1 / Gerrymander Congressional Districts / Gerrymandering

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Re: Voting Rights / Lawsuits / Voter Supression / HR1 / S1 / Gerrymander Congressional Districts / Gerrymandering

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I like Amy :)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Voting Rights / Lawsuits / Voter Supression / HR1 / S1 / Gerrymander Congressional Districts / Gerrymandering

Post by raison de arizona »

Candidate for MI governor Ryan D. Kelley tells prospective poll workers to unplug tabulation machines if they suspect fraud in the 2022 election. State senate candidate Mike Detmer takes it a step further: “We need to be prepared to lock & load,” he says. “Show up armed.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Read this thread. Scary as hell because think about all the people who DON'T vote in primaries - they may show up to vote in November and then it will be too late when they find out that their voter registration has been mysteriously, for no reason, been CANCELLED. :shock: :mad: :torches: :smokeears: :mad2: :fuckyou:

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Of course I can't find it now but there were several Twitter threads about Republicans but not Democrats being allowed to vote somewhere in TX.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:18 pm Of course I can't find it now but there were several Twitter threads about Republicans but not Democrats being allowed to vote somewhere in TX.
The thread just above contains one such picture -- don't know the county, but the sign allegedly said no Democrats could vote because there were no poll workers for that queue or somesuch.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Robert Barnes
@scotusreporter
·
15m
BREAKING: Supreme Court denies Republican requests to block court-approved congressional maps in North Carolina and Pennsylvania
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Oh look, if it isn't the fifth circuit with another wack assed ruling designed to mess with people's rights.
Steve Vladeck @steve_vladeck wrote: In a trio of major rulings, the same Fifth Circuit panel held, 2-1, that plaintiffs can’t sue the Texas Secretary of State to challenge certain voting restrictions; instead, they have to sue each *county* election chief — in a state that has 254 counties:

https://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions/p ... 43-CV1.pdf
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

A victory for voting rights, a defeat for the Republicans attempting to restrict them.

https://www.democracydocket.com/cases/a ... challenge/
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

BUT... But.... but... all that proof by thy Cyber Ninjas !!!!!!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I let my AZ Central 'script lapse. Anyone here still have one? If so, please sum up?

https://www.azcentral.com/restricted/?r ... 7942002%2F

Here's what the teaser email said, trying to get me to re-subscribe. It may work.
The "Arizona Fair Elections Act" would expand voting access and reverse a number of laws enacted recently. Backers have until July to gather support.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

thanks!!
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Lani

Post by Lani »

From my early morning NYT email: "The court [SCOTUS] agreed to hear a case that could reshape the 2024 election, potentially giving state legislatures the power to set voting rules that state courts can’t overturn."
:shock: :yikes: :sick:
SCOTUS is rapidly destroying our country. Now it's going to make sure states that lean GOP can prevent a Democrat win. And sorry, Blacks and Hispanics, district lines will change so your votes don't count.

I can't read the article b/c I don't subscribe to NYT, but here's the link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/30/us/p ... 48368741aa

BTW way, I do subscribe to the WaPo in case you want to read an article.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

Lani wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:03 am From my early morning NYT email: "The court [SCOTUS] agreed to hear a case that could reshape the 2024 election, potentially giving state legislatures the power to set voting rules that state courts can’t overturn."
:shock: :yikes: :sick:
SCOTUS is rapidly destroying our country. Now it's going to make sure states that lean GOP can prevent a Democrat win. And sorry, Blacks and Hispanics, district lines will change so your votes don't count.

[redacted]
BTW way, I do subscribe to the WaPo in case you want to read an article.
I subscribe to both. Here's the Times' link with my monthly gift quota covering it:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/30/us/p ... =url-share

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Lani wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:03 am
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/30/us/p ... court.html
Supreme Court to Hear Case on State Legislatures’ Power Over Elections
The case, about a North Carolina voting map, has the potential to amplify the influence of state lawmakers over federal elections.

By Adam Liptak and Nick Corasaniti
June 30, 2022

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court announced on Thursday that it would hear a case that could radically reshape how federal elections are conducted by giving state legislatures independent power, not subject to review by state courts, to set election rules in conflict with state constitutions.

The case has the potential to affect many aspects of the 2024 election, including by giving the justices power to influence the presidential race if disputes arise over how state courts interpret state election laws.

In taking up the case, the court could upend nearly every facet of the American electoral process, allowing state legislatures to set new rules, regulations and districts on federal elections with few checks against overreach, and potentially create a chaotic system with differing rules and voting eligibility for presidential elections.

“The Supreme Court’s decision will be enormously significant for presidential elections, congressional elections and congressional district districting,” said J. Michael Luttig, a former federal appeals court judge. “And therefore, for American democracy.”

Protections against partisan gerrymandering established through the state courts could essentially vanish. The ability to challenge new voting laws at the state level could be reduced. And the theory underpinning the case could open the door to state legislatures sending their own slates of electors.

It is one thing to agree to hear a case, of course, and another to rule on it. But four justices have already expressed at least tentative support for the doctrine, making a decision accepting it more than plausible. The court will probably hear arguments in the fall and issue its decision next year.
Lani

Post by Lani »

It was a nice country while it lasted.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:14 pm
Lani wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:03 am
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/30/us/p ... court.html
Supreme Court to Hear Case on State Legislatures’ Power Over Elections
The case, about a North Carolina voting map, has the potential to amplify the influence of state lawmakers over federal elections.

By Adam Liptak and Nick Corasaniti
June 30, 2022

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court announced on Thursday that it would hear a case that could radically reshape how federal elections are conducted by giving state legislatures independent power, not subject to review by state courts, to set election rules in conflict with state constitutions.

The case has the potential to affect many aspects of the 2024 election, including by giving the justices power to influence the presidential race if disputes arise over how state courts interpret state election laws.

In taking up the case, the court could upend nearly every facet of the American electoral process, allowing state legislatures to set new rules, regulations and districts on federal elections with few checks against overreach, and potentially create a chaotic system with differing rules and voting eligibility for presidential elections.

“The Supreme Court’s decision will be enormously significant for presidential elections, congressional elections and congressional district districting,” said J. Michael Luttig, a former federal appeals court judge. “And therefore, for American democracy.”

Protections against partisan gerrymandering established through the state courts could essentially vanish. The ability to challenge new voting laws at the state level could be reduced. And the theory underpinning the case could open the door to state legislatures sending their own slates of electors.

It is one thing to agree to hear a case, of course, and another to rule on it. But four justices have already expressed at least tentative support for the doctrine, making a decision accepting it more than plausible. The court will probably hear arguments in the fall and issue its decision next year.
This is what I don't understand -- in theory, except for those constitutions which have citizen-driven amendment paths, all State Constitutions were creations at one point of a State Legislative or equivalent body, right? So would their own decisions in that State-level constitution not bind them? Obvious IANAL, but my debater's instinct would be to argue that any state that lacks citizen amendments, the legislature clearly chose to bind themselves for future generations and only through that state's amendment process may election laws in conflict with the state's constitution be passed.

Fogbowsers-at-Law, please help me see what I'm missing here, with the obvious exception of states like, alas, Florida, where we *do* have citizen-driven amendments and this argument perhaps would not apply.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://twitter.com/AdavNoti/status/1545513555629334531

Adav Noti
@AdavNoti
·
7h
Easily the largest campaign finance lawsuit ever filed. More than $750,000,000 in violations by the Trump campaign.
Campaign Legal Center
@CampaignLegal
· 7h
Today, we filed suit against the @FEC.

The FEC’s inability to do its job and properly investigate the complaint we filed in July 2020 is just the latest example of the agency’s failures hindering voters’ right to know how political money is being spent.

https://t.co/m7Jcu69iBw
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona

1.5 years for voting while convicted of a felony.
Pinal County Man Sentenced to Prison for Illegally Voting in 2020 Election

FLORENCE – Attorney General Mark Brnovich announced that Roberto Garcia of San Tan Valley, age 35, was sentenced on September 12 by a Pinal County Superior Court judge to 1.5 years in the Arizona Department of Corrections for illegally casting a vote in the 2020 General Election while he was not eligible to do so. Garcia had entered a guilty plea in July to one felony count of Illegal Voting, after being indicted in March of 2022.

The indictment alleged that Garcia falsely completed a voter registration form indicating that he had not been convicted of a felony or that his rights had been restored. Garcia, however, had previously been convicted of two felony offenses and had not had his rights restored since his second conviction in 2006. As a part of his guilty plea, Garcia admitted that he knew he was not entitled to vote when he cast his ballot on November 3, 2020.
:snippity:
https://mailchi.mp/azag/pinal-county-ma ... 2bf198944b
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

That is harsh. I can see a fine for voting when rights haven't yet been restored, but for crying out loud we have a brutal system of punishment. Too bad that harsh and over the top punishment doesn't actual deter crime, otherwise we'd be a pretty crime free nation.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona

Well, that's one way.
Don Winslow @donwinslow wrote: When they saw record numbers of young people coming out for @BetoORourke they did this:

🚨ALERT: Brazos County, Texas, refuses to reopen an on-campus early voting site at Texas A&M University in College Stations, the largest campus in the state, for the 2022 midterm elections.

Return to “Current Politics”