State of the Union Address - March 7, 2024

Let's get back to normalcy. Does normalcy fit into your schedule?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Boebert tried to change her skanky image a bit by dressing nicely and wearing her hair up at the SOTU last night, and behaving better than expected.
► Show Spoiler
Image Image Image Image
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Republicans baffled by Katie Britt’s State of the Union response: ‘One of our biggest disasters’
The 42-year-old Alabama senator is a rising Republican star but her kitchen table speech did not land well even in her own party

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... u-reaction
“What the hell am I watching right now?” an unnamed Trump adviser told Rolling Stone.

“It’s one of our biggest disasters ever,” another unnamed Republican strategist told the Daily Beast.

Delivering the official State of the Union response can be a thankless task, as the former Lousiana governor Bobby Jindal and the Florida senator Marco Rubio, deliverers of previously panned speeches, would ruefully attest.

Nonetheless, the 42-year-old Alabama senator is a rising Republican star, widely respected on Capitol Hill and her selection to respond to Biden was a golden opportunity to introduce herself to the wider American electorate.

In his address Biden used his bully pulpit effectively, attacking Republicans in a fiery speech and inviting a strong response. But Britt’s speech, delivered with overt theatricality, oscillating in tone between the wholesome and the wholly horrific, did not land well even in her own party.

Charlie Kirk, founder of the far-right Turning Point USA youth group, said: “I’m sure Katie Britt is a sweet mom and person, but this speech is not what we need. Joe Biden just declared war on the American right and Katie Britt is talking like she’s hosting a cooking show, whispering about how Democrats ‘dont get it’.”

That pointed to widespread confusion over the setting for such a figure to give such an important speech: a kitchen.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

I assume Trump never got his live rebuttal up?
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

She did a great job with that breathy baby fundie voice the christian nationalists love so well. She's no neophyte, though. She was Sen Shelby's chief of staff. But this was dreadful.

I didn't see her whole thing but caught part of her breathless (and oddly smiling) story about a woman repeatedly raped by a cartel. I assume this was in Mexico? So...we should be welcoming people like this woman to escape and come to the US, right? That was her point, right?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:36 am I assume Trump never got his live rebuttal up?
He was "Truthing" live but the Truth Social site was up and down so it was difficult to follow.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Decided to wander over to Fox for a bit. Harris Faulkner is all kinds of outrage, now she's got Ron Johnson on calling Biden an angry old man.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Rolodex wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:42 am She did a great job with that breathy baby fundie voice the christian nationalists love so well. She's no neophyte, though. She was Sen Shelby's chief of staff. But this was dreadful.

I didn't see her whole thing but caught part of her breathless (and oddly smiling) story about a woman repeatedly raped by a cartel. I assume this was in Mexico? So...we should be welcoming people like this woman to escape and come to the US, right? That was her point, right?

No, it happened in Georgia.

https://apnews.com/article/laken-riley- ... 21b7b9c722
ATLANTA (AP) — With an unscripted clash between President Joe Biden and a Georgia congresswoman at Thursday night’s State of the Union speech, the slaying of a Georgia nursing student was further cemented as a political rallying point in the 2024 presidential race.

Laken Hope Riley, 22, has become the face of immigration reform for many conservatives in the days since she was killed while jogging in a park on the University of Georgia campus on Feb. 22.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:06 am
Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:36 am I assume Trump never got his live rebuttal up?
He was "Truthing" live but the Truth Social site was up and down so it was difficult to follow.
As far as I can tell from instagram which I don't know if it was real, he was putting up snapchat filters on the state of the union speech. Then again I don't think he would even know how.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Do they mention Audrii Cunningham, a child killed by an American Nazi?

https://apnews.com/article/e5591f623a45 ... 1ba786f93e
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

IMG_4681.webp
IMG_4681.webp (56.84 KiB) Viewed 390 times
raison de arizona

Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:10 am
raison de arizona wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:06 am
As far as I can tell from instagram which I don't know if it was real, he was putting up snapchat filters on the state of the union speech. Then again I don't think he would even know how.
Yeah, he did that. Biting commentary, one might call it.

Well, tfg certainly bites.

chris evans @notcapnamerica wrote: This is what the Republican nominee for President is currently doing.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Not sure why I was blocked by that account
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Now tfg cares about women’s issues? Or just the issues repubs decide women can care about?

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

If it's up to them, there won't be any women's issues.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:03 pm If it's up to them, there won't be any women's issues.
:cry: :cry:
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

:lol:
Heather Gardner
@heathergtv
My rebuttal to Katie Britt
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:57 am https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1765970041659605000
Yashar Ali 🐘@yashar
HOW DID THIS HAPPEN???
Btw this is the only clip she posted on her official account.
6:17 AM · Mar 8, 2024
Enough is enough! I agree :o Yes, stop the suffering, those House Republicans need to get their ducks back into a row. Maybe you really ought to have joined in on that border bill :blackeye:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

poplove wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:44 pm :lol:
Heather Gardner
@heathergtv
Is this thing on?🎤
https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 25#p250281
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:11 pm
poplove wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:44 pm :lol:
Heather Gardner
@heathergtv
https:// twitter.com/i/status/1766000534388101434
Is this thing on?🎤
https:// thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2494&start=25#p250281
Oops! :bag:
raison de arizona

No reading allowed or necessary. What does it take to get their Johnson up?
Brian Stelter @brianstelter wrote: If you told me that Biden called for expanding tutoring and summer learning so that "every child learns to read by third grade," and the House Speaker DIDN'T applaud or stand up, I wouldn't believe it... so here's the video to prove it
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Igor Bobic
@igorbobic

Tuberville says Britt’s delivery was good:

“She was picked as a housewife, not just a senator, somebody who sees it from a different perspective…I mean, she did what she was asked to do. I thought she did a good job. And it's hard when you've never done anything like that.”
I can't tell you how much I hate the term housewife. No woman is married to a house. I started working in the tax department of a Big 8 accounting firm in Jan 1975 right out of college and I was taught to use the term homemaker. 49 years ago! That I can live with. I fully endorse women (or men) opting to be a stay-at-home parent and/or homemaker if that's their choice. That's exactly what Women's Lib is all about. Being able to do what you want to do and not be forced to comply with anyone else's preconceived ideas of what you should do. But the term is HOMEMAKER.

/rant
raison de arizona

Besides all that, she is a SENATOR. Kind of a backhanded compliment to say she's never been asked to anything like this before and she did a good job for a housewife. Or homemaker, for that matter.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The response background looked like an AI version of a Kitchen. So I would guess it was against a green-screen or similar.

I think the idea of a "response" is rather silly anyway.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

Suranis wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:46 pm The response background looked like an AI version of a Kitchen. So I would guess it was against a green-screen or similar.

I think the idea of a "response" is rather silly anyway.
Keen eyed viewers have noted that the subzero fridge in there starts at $10k before customization. FWIW.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Housewife who was Sen Shelby's chief of staff. She's from my part of Alabama. Ish. Folks who knew her back when say she'd different now (and not in a good way). I'm not sure what she's selling as far as her background (I don't pay any attention to her) but she grew up upper middle class; each of her parents had their own company.

Housewife. Tubs is certainly consistent in his idiocy.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

Return to “Biden Administration”