2024 Total Solar Eclipse

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by raison de arizona »

Beware eclipse zombies.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
W. Kevin Vicklund

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Not the Zombie Apoc-eclipse!!! :panic:
Whatever4

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Whatever4 »

We are supposed to get 96% totality, but 2-3 hours north will be total.

Tomorrow will be 8-12” of snow, up to 24” up in the totality band. The governor predicts up to 40K tourists from out of state. The Weather Guy predicts clear skies and 45°. This is Mud Season, the eclipse band is sparsely populated, and very few of the tourist accommodations will be open.

I predict much hilarity.
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by northland10 »

We're a bit north and it looks like, as usual, lots of clouds so the closest we can get to an eclipse is:

101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rotflmao:
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:35 pm Not the Zombie Apoc-eclipse!!! :panic:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Walt Tuttle
Verified:

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Walt Tuttle »

xkcd

jemcanada2

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by jemcanada2 »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:35 pm Not the Zombie Apoc-eclipse!!! :panic:
:clap: :clap: :lol:
MN-Skeptic

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Looking back at the old Fogbow we had a thread on the 2017 solar eclipse. I was having fun reading some of the posts. This post is from early August of 2017 - https://formerly.thefogbow.com/forum/vi ... se#p903513, but you can read back some or just continue with that month. Interesting memories.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by jez »

So far the forecast for SW Ohio is mostly cloudy skies. I'm going over to the corner to pout.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Tiredretiredlawyer

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Arkansas has cloudy weather predictions too.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Reality Check »

jez wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:06 am So far the forecast for SW Ohio is mostly cloudy skies. I'm going over to the corner to pout.
The southern end from the path from Mexico through Texas and into Arkansas looks like it will be mostly overcast. The best forecast is in the Northeast end of the path like Vermont. Gonna be a lot of very disappointed folks. The only good news is in places like Illinois and Ohio it might be clearing by the afternoon.
AndyinPA
Verified:

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by AndyinPA »

They are keeping watch, but they think there will be some breaks in the clouds here so that the forecast is still decent enough. We shall see. I remember the last one I saw here, maybe in the 80s or early 90s. It was a nice summer day. It wasn't total, but it got darker, it got quiet, and you didn't need the glasses. Every leaf made a beautiful duplicate of the sun on the ground. It was awesome, so even if it's only that I see, I won't be disappointed.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Right now they're predicting overcast and rain for the Twin Cities on Monday. Since it's only a 75% coverage here, it's not the event here that it is other places.

I feel sorry for the folks who have done so much planning for traveling to a total eclipse site only to have the weather put a damper on the experience. I wonder how many people will opt to just stay home when the forecast is so disappointing.
raison de arizona

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Mike Simonsen 🐉 @mikesimonsen wrote: This is incredible.

From @Jamie_Lane where AirBnBs are fully booked next week.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Whatever4

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Whatever4 »

Notice how few of those Airbnbs are in Maine. Northern Maine is empty.

I hear people are changing travel plans to come here. But there’s not much here here. We just had 7” of slush at the coast, inland will end up with almost 2 feet. Plus power outages. Last storm took power companies days to restore power.

On the eclipse path, Jackman (pop 823), Rockwood (2,212), Patten (988), and Moulton (5,763) are the biggest towns closest to the totality line. Presque Isle, pop. 8,797, is the largest city in the eclipse path. Not a lot of hotels or AirBnBs in any of them.

OTOH, there’s plenty of “camps” up there. Pretty much everyone in Maine seems to have access to a simple second home, known as a camp. April is pretty early to open up camp, but most of the locals on southern Maine social media are talking about “going upta camp” to see the eclipse. No one is talking about renting out their hunting shack.

Instead, I hear most tourists are staying in Portland, Augusta, Bangor, etc. and driving a couple of hours to find parks, fields, parking lots, or roadsides for viewing. And coming back in the dusk hours. Towns are already warning of heavy traffic.

All this in mud season. :roll:
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
AndyinPA
Verified:

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by AndyinPA »

https://wapo.st/3PR6MI2

Gifted

This page has a nice moving image that shows exactly where and how much of a view of the eclipse everyone in the country will have.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Rolodex

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Rolodex »

Cool article, thanks! I was even able to put in my little town. The peak (75%) will be about 2pm for me, so I'm going out today at that time to see where the sun is that time of day. Not a cloud in the sky this afternoon; I think Monday has partly cloudy forecast. Fingers crossed!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Tiredretiredlawyer

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

My twin, who is a widder woman if any of you guys are interested, is having a Total Eclipse of the Sun party at her house on Monday during the peak eclipse hours. BYOB.
Lani

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Lani »

I was living on Hawaii Island in a rental on a beach community, when there was a solar eclipse. It was wonderful to wade into the ocean and stand on a lava shelf to watch the eclipse.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by AndyinPA »

Lani wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:38 am I was living on Hawaii Island in a rental on a beach community, when there was a solar eclipse. It was wonderful to wade into the ocean and stand on a lava shelf to watch the eclipse.
:thumbsup:
raison de arizona

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

IMG_7658.jpeg
IMG_7658.jpeg (114.88 KiB) Viewed 271 times
Whatever4

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Whatever4 »

IMG_2861.jpeg
IMG_2861.jpeg (149.26 KiB) Viewed 248 times
—Theodore Roosevelt
AndyinPA
Verified:

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup: :biggrin:
Suranis

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Suranis »

I realised I dont actually know what direction the Shadow of an eclipse travels.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... t-to-east/
Why Does a Solar Eclipse Move West to East?

Here’s why the path of a solar eclipse travels in the opposite direction of that of the sun

By Stephanie Pappas

This article is part of a special report on the total solar eclipse that will be visible from parts of the U.S., Mexico and Canada on April 8, 2024.

The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. A glimpse at the map of the April 2024 North American solar eclipse, however, shows a path from west to east. What gives?

The answer lies in the relationship between the rotation of Earth and the orbit of the moon, but the arrangement can be a bit tricky to visualize.
Its Scientific American. Give them a click.
Hic sunt dracones
Lani

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:02 pm
Lani wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:38 am I was living on Hawaii Island in a rental on a beach community, when there was a solar eclipse. It was wonderful to wade into the ocean and stand on a lava shelf to watch the eclipse.
:thumbsup:
Unfortunately, this time I get up at 6:15 am, possibly with rain,. It ends at 7:55 am. High rises around me may also block the site.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.

Return to “Science”