2024 Total Solar Eclipse

MN-Skeptic

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The April 8. 2024 total solar eclipse is fast approaching - https://science.nasa.gov/eclipses/futur ... ipse-2024/.

I didn't get eclipse glasses for the 2017 solar eclipse, so I'm shopping for a pair now.

Are any of you in the path of totality (or whatever that term is)? Will any of you be traveling to view it?

My brother and his family drove from Minnesota to Nebraska to view the 2017 eclipse and my brother, a wonderful amateur photographer, got some great photos. He had been planning on making a similar trip this year, but canceled when his first grandchildren (identical twin girls!) are due the same week as the eclipse.

Edited to add - NASA's list of suppliers of eclipse glasses - https://eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by northland10 »

This is running through Texas, Arkansas, southern MO, southern Illinois, Jim Jordan's district in Ohio, and western New York. This is mainly in red voter areas. How long till some of the right blame the eclipse on some evil Biden master plan for world domination?
101010 :towel:
Reddog

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Reddog »

I think we will travel to see it.
The 2017 eclipse I had been looking forward to for over 20 years. We were dead center of totality. Bought a Coronado PST, etc. My desktop wallpaper had been a map of the eclipse on every computer I used for 20 years.
That day was cloudy and rainy, last thing I expected in August.
It was one of the biggest disappointments in my life. Even more than the 2016 election.
New Turtle

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by New Turtle »

The one last October passed directly over me. It triggered the light meter in my car to turn on the headlights.
AndyinPA
Verified:

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by AndyinPA »

We are not total, but are close. We may just drive or stay here, but I already have my glasses.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Slim Cognito »

northland10 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:33 pm This is running through Texas, Arkansas, southern MO, southern Illinois, Jim Jordan's district in Ohio, and western New York. This is mainly in red voter areas. How long till some of the right blame the eclipse on some evil Biden master plan for world domination?
I'd say that's a given.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
p0rtia

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by p0rtia »

So annoying. I would have an hour's country drive to see the full monty IF I were in my NY summer mansion. Alas I am not and will not be. *sigh*

Would have been my second.
Mrich

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Mrich »

I am going to Lima, OH to stay with my niece's husband's family. For the 2017 eclipse I saw totality in Easley SC where my sister lives. It was amazing! Perfect cloudless skies; I hope for the same in April.

I took this picture pre-totality - it's shadows from a small colander. Pretty cool:
Colander.jpg
Colander.jpg (56.86 KiB) Viewed 820 times
I ordered a set of 10 glasses about a year ago from https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/ . I got the cheap cardboard ones.
https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/ec ... ng-glasses

They also send me email updates pretty regularly with news about the eclipse.
Walt Tuttle
Verified:

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Walt Tuttle »

I'll be traveling to Hot Springs, Arkansas. Saw the one in 2017 and I'm hooked. If you can, go see one.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

We traveled to Columbia, Mo, to see the last one. We will be in Arkansas in April.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by jez »

If the maps are right, we are going to see about 2 minutes of totality from the back yard. Convenient. :D
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
AndyinPA
Verified:

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by AndyinPA »

https://wapo.st/3TQgk8P

Gifted link.
For about 4½ minutes on April 8, millions of Americans will see their Monday plunge prematurely into darkness.

If you’re lucky — or if you’ve planned a trip into the path of this year’s total eclipse — you’ll be among them. And what better way to mark the moment than with a few gorgeous eclipse pics?

The catch: Capturing worthwhile images of basically anything in space with a phone can be tricky, especially when your subject is a massive, incandescent ball of gas. Need proof? Go outside, try taking a picture of the midday sun, and see whether you capture anything more than just indistinct brightness.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Walt Tuttle
Verified:

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Walt Tuttle »

Shizzle Popped
Verified:

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Shizzle Popped »

We'll be watching from our front yard. We live just about 5 to 10 miles north of the centerline of the prime viewing area in the Indianapolis area. Eclipse glasses arrive tomorrow.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Reddog

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Reddog »

Walt Tuttle wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:51 pm https://science.nasa.gov/citizen-science/sunsketcher/

I’ll be participating in this.
Thanks, worth checking out.

I had literally waited, (with metaphorical bated breath), 20 years for the 2017 eclipse, after I found out we were dead center of the path. Unfortunately it clouded up that day. I hope everyone has clear weather. I should have checked the forecast a few days earlier and could have driven, probably 50 miles, to a clear sky area.

This time I think we might take a short vacation to Branson, then drive down to the eclipse path. Possibly Ozark Saint Francis National Forest. If the weather looks clear.

With luck the trees that far south will be leafing out. One of the coolest things is the millions of crescent suns projected on the ground through leafy trees.
Reddog

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Reddog »

Also, too and I found an app called “Totality” that looks pretty useful.
Lani

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Lani »

I saw the moon eclipse last night. Now there is a partial sun eclipse in Hawaii on April Oct 2, 2024 t6:23 am.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Foggy »

I won't be able to see this one, but Numbah One Son and I were dead center for the 2017 one, on a lakeshore in South Carolina.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
jemcanada2

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by jemcanada2 »

I’m right in the path of totality and it sounds like we’re going to be inundated with tourists for the eclipse. I live right near Niagara Falls.

My nephew proposed to his wife at the 2017 eclipse. They’re coming home for Easter and the eclipse with their 4 sons under 5! They’ve had a busy few years ;) ;)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by raison de arizona »

Niagara region declares state of emergency out of caution ahead of rare eclipse

Canada's Niagara region has proactively declared a state of emergency ahead of a rare total solar eclipse on April 8 that is expected to gather massive crowds to areas in and around the region's popular waterfalls.

The Niagara region said in a statement on Thursday that Regional Chair Jim Bradley had declared a state of emergency "out of an abundance of caution."

"Declaring a state of emergency ... strengthens the tools the region has at its disposal to safeguard the health and safety of residents and visitors and protect our critical infrastructure in any scenario that might arise," a Niagara region press release said.

The dramatic waterfall, situated along the Canadian-U.S. border, is in the path of the eclipse, and many people are splurging on hotels and rentals in advance to experience the phenomenon at one of North America's natural wonders.

The mayor of Ontario city of Niagara Falls Jim Diodati predicted "by far the biggest crowd that we've ever had" on the Canadian side for the eclipse. Diodati estimated that up to a million people will be there, compared with the 14 million who typically visit during the course of an entire year.
:snippity:
https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/ ... 024-03-29/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by MN-Skeptic »

2024 Eclipse Maps

Nice set of state eclipse maps along with this national map -
map_usa_2024_times.jpg
map_usa_2024_times.jpg (107.62 KiB) Viewed 462 times
Lani

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Lani »

6:33:32 am in Hawaii. Then one more this year. I want more :crying:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by AndyinPA »

I thought last year about getting a room in a hotel in Erie, but never really decided on it, although maybe I should have, but have decided to watch it from home. It won't be total, but it will be very, very good. I am not fond of those kinds of crowds.
jemcanada2

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by jemcanada2 »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:07 pm I thought last year about getting a room in a hotel in Erie, but never really decided on it, although maybe I should have, but have decided to watch it from home. It won't be total, but it will be very, very good. I am not fond of those kinds of crowds.
They’re fleecing the tourists to the Falls for hotel room rates for the eclipse. I won’t be going anywhere near Niagara Falls for the eclipse!
AndyinPA
Verified:

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by AndyinPA »

https://wapo.st/3xiMDnT Gifted
If you witness nature’s majesty and can’t live-stream it on TikTok or post in your group chat, did it even happen?

In places around the United States where people will flock to see next week’s solar eclipse, some local officials have warned that mobile service could temporarily flake out.

Cellular networks sometimes bog down when people in one place all call, text, stream or post at once — like at a packed football game or, in this case, an opportunity to view a potentially once-in-a-lifetime total solar eclipse.

These congestion hiccups to cellular networks are far less common than they used to be. But just as eclipse tourists might want to prepare for traffic jams and portable toilet shortages, it couldn’t hurt to plan ahead for potential mobile disruptions, too.

Here are some tips:

Return to “Science”