Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

International Effects of Covid-19

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: International Effects of Covid-19

Post by Volkonski »

This is not over folks. :?

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :cantlook:
UK - another sovereign decision to come ?
Johnson to end forced self-isolation after positive Covid test in England
PM to announce end to legal duty to quarantine next week as part of ‘living with Covid’ measures

Jenn Selby
Sat 19 Feb 2022 22.43 GMT

The prime minister is to announce the end of the legal duty to self-isolate after testing positive for Covid-19 next week.

Downing Street said Boris Johnson will lay out his intentions to repeal all pandemic regulations that restrict public freedoms in England as part of his “living with Covid” plan on Monday.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... in-england
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ireland has declared Peace in our time.

https://www.beat102103.com/news/cabinet ... day-995794
The Cabinet has agreed to end almost all remaining health restrictions from next Monday.

Mask wearing in schools, in retail settings and on public transport will be voluntary from the 28th of February, but they will still be required in healthcare settings such as hospitals.

Physical distancing measures in schools, such as pods, will also end next week, while testing and tracing will be scaled back from its current form.

NPHET will be wound-up too, but the Office of the Chief Medical Officer will continue to monitor the "epidemiological profile of the disease".
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Looks like Europe may have dropped restrictions too early:

New Covid-19 Coronavirus Wave In Europe May Have Already Begun, Data Suggests
When it comes to the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic, things may be looking up again in Europe, but not in a good way. The past week has seen yet another upswing in reported Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations in countries such as the U.K., Ireland, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and Italy. On Saturday, Eric Topol, MD, founder and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute, tweeted, “The next wave in Europe has begun,” along with graphs of Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations over time from Our World in Data:

:snippity:
This European upswing is coming about a month after various countries and locations in Europe began lifting Covid-19 precautions such as face mask requirements for indoor public locations. The U.S. has been taking similar relaxation steps in February and March as well. The ongoing concern is that all of this may have been premature relaxation. Because, gee, what happened soon after the last two times that such mass relaxation in the Europe and the U.S. occurred? Here’s a hint. The answer rhymes with 19 hairy spurges.

Yes, a big old Covid-19 surge took place in the U.S. starting June 2021 about a month or so after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) had changed its face mask guidance in May, as I covered for Forbes back then. A similar thing happened again in November 2021 about a month or so after mass gatherings and travel returned close to pre-pandemic levels, as I also covered for Forbes. After this latter surge occurred, some blamed it all on that pesky Omicron variant, claiming that its arrival was unexpected. How can you not expect a variant to emerge when new variants have been emerging throughout much of the pandemic? Plus, the upswing really began in the U.S. before the Omicron variant was even discovered in South Africa. And now with this Omicron-fueled surge on the downswing, political leaders have instituted another round of relaxation. What could possibly go wrong? What’s that quote about “Those that fail to learn from history being doomed to repeat it?”
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

We're probably going to mask for at least another year. Complaints from others about doing so will not be tolerated.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

My protocol: when my area is yellow or red, I will mask, socially distance, and cut back on going into stores/restaurants. I may always mask in some indoor venues. For life. I'm high risk and it's endemic.

That's it.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Switzerland

after dropping most guidelines
Covid Status 2022-03-13.png
Covid Status 2022-03-13.png (31.25 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

A very horrible death rate in the elderly in Hong Kong, reminiscent of the early days of Covid in the United States. Long thread -

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Lani

Post by Lani »

Europe Is Getting Hit by Covid Resurgence After Rushed Exit
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ushed-exit
Europe tried to leave Covid-19 behind, but the rush to unwind restrictions is now setting the stage for a revival of pandemic risks.

Accelerated by the emergence of BA.2 -- a more-transmissible strain of the omicron variant -- the virus has spread rapidly. Germany on Tuesday set a fresh record for infection rates for the four straight day. Austria has also reached new highs, while cases in the Netherlands have doubled since lifting curbs on Feb. 25.

Most authorities have shrugged off the surge, showing little appetite to re-impose curbs after easing measures just a few weeks ago. But the virus threatens to cause problems anyway, with businesses and schools disrupted as people call in sick.

“The messaging from politicians is encouraging many people who were taking precautions to mix with others,” said Martin McKee, professor of public health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. “It does seem very courageous, and indeed risky, to assume that the pandemic is over.”
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

I get it that governments got tired to be blamed for the general effects of lockdowns and limitations and are now waiting for the people to screem for a return to a harsher regime. But most importantly since the availability of vaccines the hospitals can handle the workload of unvaccinated to be cared of. Vaccinated people hardly ever need hospital care, the Omicron variant takes the form of the common flu. Home testing for covid is now generally available for people who think the critter sneaked up on them and they can remain at home without becomeing a superspreader.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:07 am I get it that governments got tired to be blamed for the general effects of lockdowns and limitations and are now waiting for the people to screem for a return to a harsher regime. But most importantly since the availability of vaccines the hospitals can handle the workload of unvaccinated to be cared of. Vaccinated people hardly ever need hospital care, the Omicron variant takes the form of the common flu. Home testing for covid is now generally available for people who think the critter sneaked up on them and they can remain at home without becomeing a superspreader.
Yes. It's not the same as two years ago. I don't think we're done with covid, or it's done with us. You have to be aware of what's going on around you in your area. I've been venturing out without wearing a mask, but I have one with me. I've been hyper aware of anyone around me and keeping my distance and checking out how crowded a place is. If I go out into a place where it doesn't look safe, I won't hesitate to put a mask on. Most stores no longer seem to be requiring their employees to wear masks, and very few people are wearing them. I was in Home Goods yesterday. It's the only place I've been where all employees are still wearing masks, and there were frequent announcements about keeping your distance, but nothing was said about wearing masks.

I remember clearly how frustrating and scary it was for even medical personnel to have to reuse N95 masks or to not even be able to get them. Today, our pharmacy has a big display set up with hundreds of N95 masks and a sign that says to take as many as you want.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The one point that astonishes me around here is that the staff at shopping centers no longer need to wear masks. It seems that the supermarket chains have no large dropouts due to covid infections at the time.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Switzerland

The Swiss federal government lifts all remaining covid restrictions.

Eg mask no longer required on public transport, no longer required for visits to doctors and hospitals. Though I expect that some healthcare providers will continue to ask for masks to be worn.

2022-03-31 SwissStats Infections.jpg
2022-03-31 SwissStats Infections.jpg (50.27 KiB) Viewed 1706 times
2022-03-31 SwissStats Deaths.jpg
2022-03-31 SwissStats Deaths.jpg (43.3 KiB) Viewed 1706 times

PS. I don't have numbers for hospitalizations but the last I did read that on average 80% of beds reserved for covid patients had been in use.

pps. above graphs by google https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=s ... &gws_rd=cr
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Lani

Post by Lani »

Keep those masks ready!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Covid: Discharging hospital patients to care homes 'unlawful'”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-61227709

“Government policies on discharging untested patients from hospital to care homes in England at the start of the Covid pandemic have been ruled unlawful by the High Court.
The ruling comes after two women took the former Health Secretary Matt Hancock and Public Health England to court.
Dr Cathy Gardner and Fay Harris said it had caused a "shocking death toll".
The government had said it "worked tirelessly" to protect the public.
Dr Gardner and Ms Harris partially succeeded in claims against Mr Hancock and Public Health England.”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”