Alina Habba

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
bob

Alina Habba

Post by bob »

Fiascoist wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:52 pmare the local rules of each district substantially different or is there one set of rules for all districts?
The Federal Rules of [Civil]/[Criminal] Procedure are the same for every federal district court.

The Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure are the same for every federal circuit court.

Each district and circuit court, however, can establish additional local rules. These local rules cannot supplant an established rule, but can supplement or otherwise clarify.* The differences between local rules often (but not always!) are relatively minor.

And then there are local-local rules, i.e., each judge's preferences. Sometimes a judge will issue a blanket order; sometimes you figure them out the hard way.

* E.g., a federal rule might say that a court must hear urgent motions on a regular basis. So a local rule might specify that urgent motions are heard every Monday afternoon. But another court could specify Friday afternoons.
Image ImageImage
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Alina Habba

Post by Ben-Prime »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:57 am Expanding on Estiveo's post, I also see pretty dumb lawyer being transferred from courtroom duty to exclusively media eye candy duty.
I could see her being a better out-of-court spokesperson for his lawfare team on a more permanent basis in lieu of doing the actual courtroom work, sure. But only if she's restricted to dealing with friendly media audiences.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Alina Habba

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Probably not a surprise, but now the same wingnuts who so loudly predicted that Habba's brilliant, beautiful lawyering was gonna get Trump off the hook are now claiming that she's a deep state plot to embarrass their orange-tinted deity.

https://www.rawstory.com/alina-habba-deep-state-plant/
'Incompetent' Alina Habba dubbed 'deep state plant to destroy Donald Trump' in new theory

“The ‘Alina Habba was a deep state plant to destroy Donald Trump’ theory has entered the building,” historian and right-wing extremism expert Mark Pitcavage wrote.

Pitcavage shared with his X followers a tweet from UltraMAGAGirl arguing Habba’s shaky defense in E. Jean Carroll’s New York City defamation trial was purposefully incompetent.

UltraMAGAGirl’s theory raised questions for X user Debbie Hemenway, who wanted to know, “Has anyone ever seen Habba and Taylor Swift in the same room at the same time? Hmmm?”

The pop star is also at the center of a far-right conspiracy theory that argues the Super Bowl will be rigged so she can endorse President Joe Biden in the 2024 election.

X user @CLSRoach argued the MAGA girl’s theory had a serious flaw.

“‘Our guy hires incompetent people ALL the time’ isn’t the flex they think it is,” she wrote.

“I wonder who forced Trump to hire Alina Habba,” replied @narcissistchro1. “For the guy who's going to save us from the deep state, he sure gets fooled by the deep state a lot.”
By the way, Mark Pitcavige is a treasure. He's one of a handful of professional poot trackers along with Christine Sarteschi and JJ MacNab but I think he's way better. He's active on Xitter a lot, at: https://twitter.com/egavactip. He's also riotously funny.
noblepa

Alina Habba

Post by noblepa »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:57 am Expanding on Estiveo's post, I also see pretty dumb lawyer being transferred from courtroom duty to exclusively media eye candy duty.
If my understanding is correct, she is one of the founding partners of her firm. It would be difficult for the other partners to sideline her if she doesn't want to be sidelined.
realist

Alina Habba

Post by realist »

noblepa wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:01 am
If my understanding is correct, she is one of the founding partners of her firm. It would be difficult for the other partners to sideline her if she doesn't want to be sidelined.
Difficult perhaps but it would depend on how the firm is structured.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Uninformed

Alina Habba

Post by Uninformed »

According to their website: https://habbalaw.com/

Habba Madaio & Associates LLP consists of:
Alina Habba - Managing Partner
Michael Madaio - Partner
Peter W Gabra - Associate
Ranger Ingram - Chief Administrative Officer
Peter A Swift- Of Counsel

I suppose she could mistakenly sack herself.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
pipistrelle

Alina Habba

Post by pipistrelle »

Madaio’s performance wasn’t any better from what I could tell.
tek

Alina Habba

Post by tek »

"Shyster, Flywheel, and Shyster announces the acquisition of Habba Madaio & Associates LLP"
Chilidog

Alina Habba

Post by Chilidog »

Trump attorney Alina Habba may have made up a fake person to push her arguments in the former president's defamation case, the lawyer for columnist E. Jean Carroll alleges.
:snippity:
In her Tuesday letter denying the accusations, Carroll's lead counsel said that what she was most concerned about was where Habba received the information of an alleged conflict of interest, suggesting that the Trump attorney made up a fake source.
https://www.newsweek.com/alina-habba-us ... ns-1865351
sugar magnolia

Alina Habba

Post by sugar magnolia »

How reasonable is it that a senior partner at a huge law firm would mentor a baby lawyer to begin with?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Alina Habba

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:29 pm How reasonable is it that a senior partner at a huge law firm would mentor a baby lawyer to begin with?
Possible but not probable, unless they are working together on a specific case.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
sugar magnolia

Alina Habba

Post by sugar magnolia »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:42 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:29 pm How reasonable is it that a senior partner at a huge law firm would mentor a baby lawyer to begin with?
Possible but not probable, unless they are working together on a specific case.
As I suspected.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Alina Habba

Post by Maybenaut »

Chilidog wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:09 pm
Trump attorney Alina Habba may have made up a fake person to push her arguments in the former president's defamation case, the lawyer for columnist E. Jean Carroll alleges.
:snippity:
In her Tuesday letter denying the accusations, Carroll's lead counsel said that what she was most concerned about was where Habba received the information of an alleged conflict of interest, suggesting that the Trump attorney made up a fake source.
https://www.newsweek.com/alina-habba-us ... ns-1865351
That is as may be, but we’ll never know. Habba already told the Court she got it from the Post. She’s never going to cop to telling the Court that she (or someone acting on her direction) gave it to the Post in the first place. And the Post will never divulge its source, assuming they even know who it is.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Alina Habba

Post by Luke »

"President Trump's office, how may I help you?"
Alina: "Um, is Donald there?"
Click.

NEW PARTNER ANNOUNCEMENT: Congratulations Alina!

"Eastman, Ingrassia, Taitz, DeMaio & Habba, how may I help you?"
(Mario Apuzzo -- Of Counsel)

Trump has gone through so many lawyers, but he's missed the cream of the South Florida crop: Inger Garcia!
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Alina Habba

Post by Flatpoint High »

Habba Alina
Habba Alina
Habba
Cost Donnie
eighty-three
million bucks
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Alina Habba

Post by Luke »

Flatpoint High wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:47 pm Habba Alina
Habba Alina
Habba
Cost Donnie
eighty-three
million bucks
Plus the million dollars for the frivolous Hillary Clinton lawsuit (jointly and severally).
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
jcolvin2
Verified:

Alina Habba

Post by jcolvin2 »

Habba Alina
Habba
Cost Donnie
eighty-three
million bucks
With liability a virtually foregone conclusion, the defamation case was essentially a trial on damages. I am not a Habba fan (and there were times when she seemed way out of her depth), but it is difficult to imagine that any lawyer could have pulled Trump’s fat out of the fire.

However, I think she does deserve blame for the $1 million in fees imposed related to the grievance lawsuit against Hillary et al.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Alina Habba

Post by Flatpoint High »

jcolvin2 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:48 am
Habba Alina
Habba
Cost Donnie
eighty-three
million bucks
With liability a virtually foregone conclusion, the defamation case was essentially a trial on damages. I am not a Habba fan (and there were times when she seemed way out of her depth), but it is difficult to imagine that any lawyer could have pulled Trump’s fat out of the fire.

However, I think she does deserve blame for the $1 million in fees imposed related to the grievance lawsuit against Hillary et al.
Also Cost Donnie
one Million bucks
then it was
five million bucks
he has no spare change
to bail his flabby ass out
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Dr. Caligari

Alina Habba

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Fiascoist wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:52 pm I agree with all of the above about seeking appellate counsel. Question for those who have practiced in the federal appellate courts, are the local rules of each district substantially different or is there one set of rules for all districts?
There is a nationwide set of Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure. Each Circuit has its own local rules, but they generally cover minor things like the form of briefs, time limits for motions, stuff like that. An experienced federal appellate lawyer can handle a case in any federal circuit with little difficulty. (Some states have arcane appellate procedures which trip up outsiders; New York State appellate procedure is especially tricky.)
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
Rolodex

Alina Habba

Post by Rolodex »

Teri Kanefield is an experienced appellate defense lawyer who breaks down how it works. She doesn't get super in the weeds about stuff; mostly her knowledge is applied to the Trump cases. Search her blog for info specific to appeals. Her column in general is EXCELLENT and highly recommended.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Alina Habba

Post by raison de arizona »

Acyn @Acyn wrote: Habba: I think the biggest message I can give the American people tonight is that the judge is not going to get away with it. AG James is not going to get away with it. The Biden Administration is not going to get away with it.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Alina Habba

Post by RTH10260 »

Sounds threaty. Will someone recommend the lawyer supervisory board to look into such lawyerly behaviour?

ps. is she putting herself into position as future GA General far in the future :?: :think:
pipistrelle

Alina Habba

Post by pipistrelle »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:32 am Sounds threaty. Will someone recommend the lawyer supervisory board to look into such lawyerly behaviour?
It sounds threaty but ambiguously so.

I'd like someone to ask her how the Biden administration was involved in a state prosecution. I want the details.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Alina Habba

Post by Reality Check »

I would not be surprised if Justice Engoron follows up this ruling with something for Habba. At least I hope he does. :daydreaming:
Resume18

Alina Habba

Post by Resume18 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:52 am
RTH10260 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:32 am Sounds threaty. Will someone recommend the lawyer supervisory board to look into such lawyerly behaviour?
It sounds threaty but ambiguously so.

I'd like someone to ask her how the Biden administration was involved in a state prosecution. I want the details.
When she says "We will literally fight," she's hardly being ambiguous.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”